Best Western Weymouth Hotel Rembrandt

Acceptable but not a UK 3 star really

Reviewed Fri 21st of December 2012

"We stayed for two nights over the August Bank Holiday and found it acceptable. The decor as some of the other reviewers have said was tired - wallpaper, carpet and furniture bit twee and could do better! The place is a bit of a maze too with unexpected unmarked steps etc. However it is in a good location slightly away (but not too far away) from the noisy and busy town centre and has plenty of parking space. The staff were helpful and friendly and the place was clean and tidy - including our room and bathroom. The food as several people have commented was excellent and I think we've not found a better breakfast for quality and quantity. We were late booking so accidentally came upon the place having little other choice, but we would definately use it again. Weymouth has a good beach with plenty for kids to do, but the bars, town centre and food places leave a lot to be desired. I would recommend The Ship on the quay and especially its upstairs restaurant. Also the excellent speciality curries menu at the Zafran Indian Restaurant - on Bond Street. Weymouth is a good base for places like Lulworth Cove, Chesil Beach, Monkey World etc."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of August 2007

Going back in time.

Reviewed Mon 19th of November 2012

"First the good news; the leisure centre is excellent. The pool is a good size which the kids enjoyed to the full. The sauna & steam room are also good and the gym looked okay. Without the leisure centre though the hotel is very much of a different age.

Go back 25 years and the decor may just still be acceptable. The reception area was very poor and the whole Hotel had dark mahogany and artex walls everywhere. Our rooms had pink bathroom suits with avocardo toilet seats. The fittings were grubby antique pine and the wallpaper very dated. The bedrooms were of a very good size though and our double room was actually a triple. The lighting was poor, maybe they are on an ecomomy drive and only could afford 40 watts bulbs! The old fashioned in-room radio/intercom system said it all but at least there was a colour TV with some satelite channels.

The bar & restaurant were in keeping with an Hotel which has seen better days and is in desparate need of modernisation. We only experienced breakfast (low quality) in the restaurant as the carvery just didn't appeal. The fact that it is a carvery befits the late '70's feel I suppose.

The first thing you see as you drive towards the Hotel is the Rembrandt's illuminated sign, only part of it was working. Sums it up really....."

• Travel date: Thu 26th of October 2006

Butlins without the entertainment

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"We all can be guilded by star ratings but take my word for it.
We were told by the hotel staff when booking that evening meals were a choice of carvary, grille or a,la carte all included in the price We arrived on a Sunday evening to find that the choice of meals were carvary only. This carvary had been going all day to accomodate the locals, just imagine the state of the vegatables by then. When put to the staff they stated that the grille did simply not exist and the ALC was at extra cost. I hasten to add that all evening meals were cancelled on the spot and do you know what they didn`t even seem to care.

The dining room is grim,grim,grim dark and dingy with plastic table cloths just like the greasy spoon. The breakfasts are help yourself to sludge tinned tomatos (puree) cheapo sausages (tesco value) hard fried eggs (sitting around being kept warm) If you like decent food I would not recommend this place to my worst enemy.

The room itself was clean although newly decorated (strange colour scheme) must have been a job lot of wallpaper, And the bedspread (Green) looked like something from the 60s The skip is still out the back and someone had to get out early in the morning 3am as his van could be heard to start up and drive out of the car park. The hot water took an age to come through the pipes and whwn it did it was only lukewarm.

Sorry but we were lied to about this hotel (Butlins) and a letter has been sent to the RAC to let them know.

John Marsh Hertfordshire"

• Travel date: Sat 16th of September 2006

surprisingly good

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"my husband and I stayed here four nights, Very comfortable room which had been completely refurbished recently. Nice to have a bath as well as shower. Comfortable bed and room very clean.
Food very good with plenty of choice. Staff quite friendly and very efficient. Swimming pool clean and enjoyable as not too crowded. Shame about having to walk down very busy road to seafront but you can't have everything. would certainly stay here again if in Weymouth. Best British hotel we've stayed in for a few years."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of September 2006

WHAT A CHANGE! FANTASTIC HOTEL

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"I booked for my family and I to stay at the Hotel Rembrandt this summer. We stayed a couple of years ago, and were a little disapointed, but they've really turned the place around.

Many rooms have been refurbished, and a lot of work has been done on their wonderful Carvery Restaurant. To top it all off my son was able to use the FREE wireless internet. Good job!.

We took our swimming costumes this time and made good use of the extensive leisure facilities. Why get sand all over you when you can enjoy the huge new leisure club, and it's all included, even the towels!.

Our room was extreemly spacious and very clean, one was in the older style and the other was in the new, but the staff said they're working to get them all to the same standard over the Winter. Apparently they were working on rooms while we were there, but we didn't hear a thing.

We booked direct on their site, and got a fantastic deal on a dinner bed and breakfast. We've stayed at the Prince Regent and the Rex before, but nothing beats the Hotel Rembrandt for price, extras, service and facilities.

They had a wedding while we were there, so we took a look at the ball room. WOW. I had no idea they did things like that, but apparently they do conferences, weddings the lot!.

Best Hotel in Weymout by far, so we're taking the family back for a Christmas break. Can't wait. We did take pics on our phones to show the family, but take a look at the ones on their site.

Thank you Hotel Rembrandt."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of August 2006

A very pleasant hotel

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"The room was large, clean and airy. the staff were, in the main, very helpful, friendly and courteous. The restaurant and food was superb. The swimming pool and gym were clean and well presented, as were the changing rooms. We are already planning a return stay and I would recommend the Rembrandt to anyone. If I have a criticism at all it is that the hotel does not have air-conditioning and the rooms would all benefit from having a large ceiling fan fitted."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of August 2006

Old Fashioned

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"My company are based in the Weymouth area, and so i recently visited the Hotel for an overnight stay. As a business traveller I expected more of a 'so called' 3 star hotel. I think RAC and the like really got it wrong with this VERY VERY TYRED 'retirement home look alike' hotel. The staff are very nice, friendly but a little to personal for my tastes. The food was ok but again like something you would expect to be served on the verge of death!(short of being liquadised and fed through a straw). The restaurant is like something from a horror movie, with dark damp beams, plastic table cloths and again that good old ex-retirement home cast off furniture. The general decor of the hotel with its pink'ish smokers hole type look is the worst i've ever seen. The rooms and corridors have torn carpets & smell damp, The bed spreads and carpets look covered with body type 'juices' (undescribeable stains). The general cleanliness of all areas of the hotel is very poor, I think the housekeeper must have been on the beach!. Lobby totally void of furniture, frumpy old 'taken from a skip' type rubbish is all you'll find. If I we're coming to the area I would AVOID this 'hole' and head for the range on the sea front. I can still smell the mildew on my bags and cloths! YUCK!. STAY CLEAR!!!! Even Basil Faulty's place is Buckingham Palace compared to this DUMP!."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of December 2005

A tired and seedy motel

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"Hotel Rembrandt
From the moment you arrive the staff are churlish and unprofessional; the route to the bedrooms passes through a non-descript lobby, fetid cooking smells from the kitchens, and the 1980s decor of the 'new' extension. I had the unfortunate experience of attending a function at this hotel, and declined the room booking on pure aesthetics - and the fact that it overlooked a skip filled with furniture and fittings of a finer quality than that in the room. The English Tourist Board should re-evaluate their judgement with a view to downgrading, and giving the traveller a fair chance of avoiding this tired and seedy Motel."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of November 2005

80's decor, leprous carpets, graceless staff

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"The Rembrandt is a typical sales reps/conference hotel which has not been updated since the 1980's, witness the lovely dark pink and pale pinks in abundance everywhere. Our room was meant to be superior, it had a 4-poster bed with tired nets hanging about and a mattress like corrugated iron. The bathroom carpet was truly ghastly, it had stains and spots on it where various unguents had been spilt over the years. Old worn gold plated taps continued the 80's theme. (I'd hate to see a lesser quality room!) It was basically clean though, as was the room. Breakfast was adequate and served by unsmiling staff. All this for over £158 for the night!! That's the problem with booking a hotel unseen though, you don't know what you are letting yourself in for. Weymouth has, alas, seen better days and I'd suggest staying outside in the country unless you have to stay in town. Or try a town B&B, it has to be better value at least."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of December 2004

excellent service and facilities

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"This hotel is one of the best on the south coast.Friendly Staff, Good facilities, Spacious and spotlessly clean rooms and a good restaurant.
Highly reccommended"

• Travel date: Mon 16th of August 2004

loved the Rembrandt

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"My family and I have always enjoyed staying at the Rembrandt we have lovely and wonderful memories of us saying there."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of March 2004