Good

Clare House - a divine experience!

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"A spur of the moment decision to spend the May Bank Holiday weekend in Swanage led us to contact Dianne (among other hoteliers) via email. Most are obviously too spoilt for choice of clientele to bother to respond but Dianne came straight back with details of rooms and we were in.

We were warmly welcomed after our stressful journey and everything about the place yelled quality and attention to detail. The guesthouse is an old convent, lovingly and tastefully restored, giving an endearing quirkiness to the rooms which were well-appointed and very comfortable.

Dianne and her husband gave recommendations of places to eat out and other useful information. They both took the trouble to greet guests personally in the morning and the service was attentive throughout.

In over 30 years of visiting Swanage and staying at many such establishments, Clare House is definitely a 'stand out' destination we would hope to visit again."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of May 2008

great location, lovely homely feel!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Stayed in Clare house over the May bank holiday 2008.

After an awful journey, it was so nice to arrive in the tranquillity and comfort of Clare house, where Diane immediately made us feel welcome.

Clare hotel has a lovely homely feel, is very well appointed but avoids feeling 'twee'. We were in room 4 and you can just see the Sea. Nice en suite with a shower, and a choice of hot-chocolate, teas and coffee, and free view TV.

The location is fantastic, literally 1min walk from high street, where there are lots of nice pubs and restaurants.

We were diving with Swanage boat charters (kyarrra.com) from the pier, so again were only a couple of minutes a way.

Also found a lovely walk along the cliff top to the light house.
Sadly we missed the breakfast as we had to be out early, but Diane went out of her way especially and made us a pack-up. Breakfast menu looked great, especially the pancakes... will definitely be back to try them!"

• Travel date: Sat 10th of May 2008

Great personal service

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"We stayed here over the Easter break and had a lovely relaxing time. Swanage has a gorgeous white beach and lots of pubs and of course a great fish and chip shop.
Our stay at Clare house was a nice change from the usual service you get in guest houses. It was ideally located just up the road from the seafront and upon arrival we were surprised to learn that my father had called in advance to arrange champagne and chocolates for myself and my boyfriend, all of which Dianne the owner of Clare house was happy to personally purchase herself, going to the local off licence and choclatier. This made it a fabulous personal touch and she insisted on handing me the receipt in an envelope to hand to my father and even though he insisted she take and extra amount for her trouble, Dianne refused. She was just happy to make our stay memorable. The breakfast was great and we will be returning!!! I have recommended this hotel to close friends and family. Come to this hotel for a comfotable, memorable stay."

• Travel date: Thu 8th of May 2008

Great Girly Weekend

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"I stayed at Clare House for a girly weekend, i shared a room with 3 of my friends and the accomadation was superb, was clean bright and airy. We had en suit facilities, hairdryer, tea and coffee maker,cd player and a tv.
The food was excellent with a varied choice of breakfast which suited all our needs.

When i arranging my accomondation i asked what local attraction was available, Dianne booked my party into the local chocolate factory for an afternoon. What an ideal way to spend a girly afternoon. Dianne was so friendly and helpfull and could not do enough for my party.

I would highly recommend this B&B to anyone looking for a relaxing weekend away"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of May 2008

A Superb find

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"A wonderfully comfortable hotel where welcome is spelt with a capital W.
The rooms are fabulous and the breakfast was second to none.
We were very happy to award the hotel with our clubs biannual certificate for Best Accommodation.
You wont want to stay anywhere else!"

• Travel date: Tue 6th of May 2008

Excellent location

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"A very clean and friendly B&B having stayed there 3 times since 2007. A warm welcome is always felt and is within a minutes walk from town centre of Swanage. The bedrooms are fully equipped with tea and coffee and ensuites, beautiully decorated.
We felt at home straight away. Excellent."

Heaven Get Away

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"I'm a single mum of 3 children and was looking for some where I could take the kids and relax for a few days. Came across Clare House on the internet and decided to book.

I couldn't have chose a better place for quite a few reasons. Firstly, the warm welcome we all received when we arrived from Dianne, especially with 3 kids on tow. The room we had was spacious, clean and even had a CD Player, TV, Playsation 3, which entertained my children, Hairdryer, Tea, Coffee and plenty of wardrope space.

Secondly, the food, honestly was first class, especially the breakfast (to die for) and Dianne catered for the children in every aspect.

Thirdly, Dianne was so helpful when it came to organising activities for the kids! She knew the local area and pointed us in the right direction.

Overall, I had such a great relaxing time I would recommend Clare House to anyone looking for home from home comforts and a good family memory."

A real find!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"I cannot rate this guest house too highly. It was tastefully furnished and decorated. The breakfast choice was extensive and the welcome and attention given by the owner was first class. The location for the shops and sea front was ideal. Will definitely stay again. just a mild warning - you may not be able to park your car outside of the premises and the nearest space may be up a fairly steep hill."

Comfortable, clean & friendly

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"I use trip advisor every time I have to travel and was suprised not to find a review for Clare House on here after our recent stay! I happened upon it by chance on a tourist info website because I couldn't find quite what I was looking for here.

My party this time was myself and 2 older teens & Dianne at Clare House couldn't have been more helpful. We were allocated a large room with 2 double beds in it and a smaller single double. Both rooms were well decorated and very clean with good sized bathrooms & showers. Both had tea & coffee making facilities, toiletries and a hairdryer. A Playstation 3 was available & found a home in the single double attached to a flat screen TV with Freeview and a DVD player.

Breakfast was served in a beautiful circular room and was plentiful with choices from Full English to Smoked Salmon with vegetarians well catered for.

There was no on-site parking but I parked right outside Clare House on the road. Local eateries are very close by and it is a 5 minute walk to the sea front/town.

Dianne was very helpful with various queries I had even phoning the Tourist Information on my behalf to confirm an answer.

There are quite a few steps here because the house is built on a hill so it wouldn't be suitable for some people but I would wholeheartedly recommend it to anyone else."

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of April 2008

A very unusual hotel, a convent in a pre...

Reviewed Thu 21st of December 2006

"A very unusual hotel, a convent in a previous life. Built on the corner of a very steep hilly street, the landings and rooms are on many levels - not a two up two down sort of place!

Beautiful furnishings throughout, absolutely charming room, almost triangular with two big windows, heavily draped for warmth and privacy. Full of lovely furniture with a big comfy bed with crisp white linen. Very well stocked bathroom, and I mean bath room - no mingy shower here! Warm welcome from very interesting proprietors.

A plentiful well cooked and presented breakfast, served in light and airy dining room. Very reasonably priced, would definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of December 2006