This hotel is now closed.

Hotels near Manor House Hotel

Manor House Hotel

Good

Stunning period building with excellent views and food

Reviewed 27th May 2011

"My husband and I stayed here on our wedding night and the following night. We chose it as it was too far away for our wedding guests to play any practical jokes! This hotel is fantastic. It's the old holiday home of the Banks family and is full of period features. It's like a museum! The views from the rooms on the sea side are incredible. You can see as far as the isle of wight. We stayed in the Westminster suite as it was a special visit for us. This room is incredible. Beautiful carved alcoves and a large 4 poster bed. The food here is incredible too. The meal was included in the room price and was 4 courses. It was delicious! The staff are very helpful and friendly. Nothing was too much trouble for them. As we weren't having the meal on the first night (coming from our reception) they laid on some sandwiches and drinks in the room for our arrival. On the following day I came up to the room and found a hornet sitting on my wedding dress! One of the staff popped in with a tub and scooped it up and took it away no problem. The hotel is only a few minutes stroll from the Bankes Arms (brewers of the Purbeck Ales) and you have a choice of beaches. It's near a cliff walk to the top of the Old Harry rocks and a few minutes drive from the lovely seaside town of Swanage. I cannot speak for the other rooms as we did something a bit special but I would recommend this hotel whole-heartedly. We intend to come back for our first anniversary!"

• Travel date: 26th May 2011

Very disappointed

Reviewed 8th March 2009

"We booked this hotel for a special occasion and would not recommend it. On arrival we were shown to a tired run down room with cheap and worn out furnishings. The bathroom was pokey with just a shower attachment. When we complained to the manager he offered to give us another room. Tired from our journey we agreed to stay in the coach house suite. This is supposed to be one of the most luxurious rooms but is more like a loft conversion in a beach house overlooking the car park. It smelt damp and again the furnishings and bathroom were of a very poor standard. The hotel bar was like a doctor’s waiting room with stained upholstery and it was at least 15 minutes before anyone came to attend to us. The food was bland and unexciting. Several things on the menu came with a surcharge. When we told the manager we were checking out after the first night he simply said ‘that’s funny, everyone else seems to be comfortable’ Do not waste your money if you are expecting a comfortable and luxurious stay. You will not be made to feel welcome and would be better off spending £45 a night in the Travel Lodge. "

• Travel date: 8th March 2009

We arrived down in Studland after along ...

Reviewed 16th June 2008

"We arrived down in Studland after along drivefrom London to be met by very friendly staff making us feel very relaxed and comfortable almost imeadiatley. Throughout the stay the food was excellent - local fresh food very well cooked. Our room was delightful with great views out over Stadland bay - wow! Tink our dog loved the walks and wsa made to feel most welcome too. Overall the hotel was value for moaney, comfortable, relaxed and friendly. We will deffinitley be returning. Many thanks to Mr Purkis and his team. "

• Travel date: 16th June 2008

My partner and I will be making our thir...

Reviewed 6th August 2007

"My partner and I will be making our third stay at the Manor House when we visit in August this year. The Manor House is certainly different but the quality is always high and although certainly expensive, it has always proved to be value for money. If you want to stay at an anonymous Travelodge-type hotel, that's up to you, but if you want an extremely comfortable, friendly, slightly eccentric experience where you can eat very well, I thoroughly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: 6th August 2007

Country mice heaven

Reviewed 3rd November 2012

"We arrived at "The Manor" for a well earned break just after Christmas. Initially I was a little unsure about wearing jeans/trainers, especially covered in sand having just enjoyed a long walk on the local beach, however we recieved a genuinely warm welcome and were immediately made to feel at home. Our room, think it was number 3, was delightful. It's spacious with breathtaking views, the chaise longe situated in the huge bay window was perfect for that touch of luxoury and wonderful for enjoying "that view". We felt the decor throughout the hotel reflected its charm and if a stage coach had pulled up at the front door it wouldn't have looked out of place. We are lucky enough to have stayed at hotels all over the world, yes the Manor may not be cheap but we felt it well worth the money. We like the quiet life but also enjoy good service. If you appreciate good food, genuine service, fantastic location, stunning beaches, with old fashioned charm, then the Manor is for you. During our stay there was a welcoming open fire in the lounge area, lovely to finish off that bottle of wine in front of - my husband even fell asleep in front of it. No disco's, no ASBO's, country mice heaven!! We will definately return."

• Travel date: 25th January 2007

Dont be fooled this hotel is a very special place

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"You have to wonder why anyone would want to run a hotel. Having booked The Manor House on impulse based on their website for a special overnight stay for Xmas I later looked on here. Had I read some of the reviews on this site first I would have looked elsewhere which would have been an outrageous mistake and insult to the efforts of the owner and staff of this hotel who must despair when they read some of the tosh written here. From the first minute we walked in we were welcomed with the most genuine warmth and hospitality into an utterly authentic country house atmosphere in a spectacular seaside location. The important word is authentic because that's what the Manor House is and I feel sorry for people who arrived here looking for some tarted up version of what a city person imagines a country house should be like. Tears and tantrums because the outside chairs are white and plastic......get a life! The décor may not be out of the latest country house design manual but it is totally in keeping with the building and impeccably maintained. Our bedroom was spacious, cosy on a cold evening, and beautifully furnished. The food was delicious and the service ruthlessly efficient - even at breakfast. At every step we felt that we were honoured guests in some ones home. The price for 2 stars?? What price standing on the beach watching the stars appear as dusk falls then warming up by the log fire with your favourite board game. Some things can't be measured by a star rating. Come morning we couldn't bear to leave so booked Sunday lunch and were immediately and unasked invited to keep our room until afternoon. Try and find that at some designed to the hilt boutique hotel. Total relaxation, total comfort - oh and the bathroom was lovely."

• Travel date: 17th December 2006

A let down!

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"The reasonably high price for DB&B had raised my expectations so I was expecting a night of comfort and relative luxury ... I didn't get it! My two main gripes were these: the bed was so uncomfortable that I slept on the floor, I'm not usually a 'princess and the pea' type of girl having never needed to opt for the floor of a hotel room before. Secondly, the shower fluctuated between cold and scorching, with no flow of water to a marginal amount. A campsite shower block would have been preferable! Other less than glorious comments I can pass on is that food was just average, the bedroom was titchy, the bathroom was very dated as was the dinning room. Great location and lovely views but investment needed to raise the standard to align with the price."

• Travel date: 12th September 2006

Location, location, location.

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"Bizzarely I couldn't find this list of reviews until just now, after returning from a two night stay at this hotel. To be honest, if I had read the reviews I would probably not have booked and gone to a 4/5 star hotel in the New Forest given the price. I also couldn't find a star rating for the hotel. If I had known it was rated as 2 AA stars I would definitely have booked elsewhere. Upon seeing this rating on the wall while making our way to the reception my immediate thought was "5 star prices for 2 star quality". However, the hotel was pleasent enough, the staff friendly and helpful (we had no trouble obtaining beach towels for our last day there even though we had already checked out), the food was nice enough with reasonable portions. The tables in the restaurant were assigned by room and didn't seem to change for any of the guests so we were at the end of a narrow conservatory, with next to no view for one person, for breakfast and dinner. The list price of the evening meal was £30 but there wasn't the option of not paying for it. This seems high given that one of the 4 courses is the bit of sorbet after the first but the chef and location obviously add a bit onto the price compared to a normal restaurant. Note, the lobster and steak are extra. I didn't pay much attention to the room itself; it was reasonably sized, though the extra single bed made it feel smaller than it was. The finish in the bathroom was certainly not consistent with the price point for the room. The marble effect wall covering was just that, some sort of plastic on plywood I think. I managed in the bath without feeling cramped but would certainly not have liked to try the shower, even without standing in the appropriate place for a shower it felt like turning around was a luxury not permited. Overall the bathroom was small as well. However, this is often a problem with old buildings turned into hotels where creating en-suites can be problematical. Allowing for the price of dinner the room rate obviously becomes more reasonable, as a place to stay one has to allow for the location and staff but from a pure value for money of the hotel itself my initial reaction on arriving is mitigated but only to "4 star prices, 3 star quality". I don't know what the suites are like though. Would we stay here again? Possibly but probably not; although it seemed there were quite a few repeat guests. The location was pretty much perfect for what we wanted but it's price is too high. Though I believe the other hotels in the area are quite high priced also, it's the location again. Just one more thing, and it's already been commented on in other reviews, the cheap, white plastic garden furniture really should not be there. This simply reinforces the offical low star rating and at the prices charged one would expect something better. (My wife disagrees: she thought it was lovely)"

• Travel date: 17th August 2006

delightful relaxing country hotel -just what we all needed!

Reviewed 13th November 2012

"We have just returned from a 3 night stay at this hotel -(a repeat visit after 2 years) and enjoyed it immensely. Despite soaring temperatures (30C) our room (Bankes) was comfortable, with lovely views over the gardens. Bathroom had been nicely refurbished - but shower a challenge for my over 6' husband. We much enjoyed lunch and afternoon tea on the lawn, (a quintessential part of an English summer holiday). Dinner in the restaurant was a gentle, relaxed affair despite being 'silver service' ,with good seafood and fish, some excellent sauces and a nice 'light' touch - nothing too stodgy and no overblown descriptions that fail to impress on delivery - which really makes a change! Staff were polite, friendly and helpful. We agree they could do with upgrading some garden furniture, and noted that our room was a little noisy on one or two occasions (from hotel reception next door). Overall this hotel is in a delightful setting with great beaches close by - and really rather civilised without being pretentious. How refreshing."

• Travel date: 28th July 2006

Fabulous location, shame about the bed

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"Manor House is in a fantastic location. The beach is just below the house, which is set in lovely gardens, ruined by lots of cheap looking white plastic tables and chairs scattered all over the lawns. Wooden garden furniture (with plain cushions) would be so much more appropriate. Our room was in the coach house, overlooking the car park. It was clean but small and very dreary, with the most uncomfortable bed we've ever slept in. The food was extremely disappointing. My main course of roasted monk fish was unappetisingly grey, dry and tastless. I hardly touched it. The food definitely does not warrant a rasberry sorbet served after the first course. It was a bad sorbet too. We ate nothing we felt was well cooked at dinner or breakfast. The fried bread was disgustingly greasy. The chef is not good and definitely needs a shorter, simpler and less pretentious menu. Our table, in a narrow hot conservatory with no blinds, was uncomfortably close to two other tables. We would never go back, unless someone gives the place a complete makeover. Sad, because they welcome dogs - a real plus."

• Travel date: 17th July 2006

My partner and I booked a room last minu...

Reviewed 8th July 2006

"My partner and I booked a room last minute at this hotel in a lovely location. We liked the sound of it because it accepted pets and we have a dog. The cost was very expensive - what one might expect to pay for a four-star hotel. The literature promoting the hotel made the accommodation look very appealing - four poster beds, sea or garden views, etc. We were told we would be staying in the Coach House and that our room was a 'superior' quality room. Once it was ready we were guided to our room - but it did not even remotely live up to the kind of quality advertised in the literature, or what one might expect from a £112 per person per night tariff (this was to include dinner estimated at £30 per head). The quality of the furnishings was pretty basic, something you might expect to find in a motel to be honest - and we'd hoped for something much finer and more stylish for that money. The room was small - the literature advertised DVD, CD player, none of which was present. It was beyond ordinary. We might as well have paid £35 per night for a Travelodge. This is the quality I mean. We immediately complained to the management and they refused to refund our deposit. They promised that the hotel director would call about our complaint and he did not. We felt that they did not deal with us in the proper manner, were defensive and not remotely keen to answer our complaint and felt properly cheated by the value of the accommodation and their service. I do not recommend this accommodation to anyone planning to spend time in the area and recommend, as I normally do, to research thoroughly where you would like to stay and spend your money before going on any trip, long or short. Avoid like the plague!"

• Travel date: 8th July 2006

Ordinary, overpriced, dated and unhelpful

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"My partner and I have just returned from a trip to Dorset. We booked a room at the Manor House Hotel at the last minute and were told our room would be £112 per person per night to include dinner. This was much more expensive than we are used to paying for a spontaneous night's accommodation but we expected the room to be pretty luxurious and the literature looked appealing so we booked and left a deposit. However when we arrived and were shown to our room we were very disappointed. We've stayed in a great number of boutique hotels that have been less expensive but much more finely decorated and better value. Let's just kindly say that the 'newly refurbished', apparently 'superior' quality Coach House room (one of three) was much more akin to a room one would find in a Travelodge than a hotel charging £224 for a night's accommodation! The furniture was cheap, dated and unstylish, the linen and towels mismatched, the view non-existent (unless you like looking at cars in the car park). The literature advertised a DVD and CD player - there was a portable tv/video installed. The cover on the bed was missing because apparently it was not yet dry (do they not have more than one?). I would not expect to pay more than £35 per person for the room and that's generous. We immediately complained to the management and they refused to give us a full refund. They promised that the hotel's director would call and this has not happened. We found the management pleasant on arrival, but much less keen to appease us when we complained. In fact they were defensive and unco-operative. In today's hotel market this is extremely poor service. In our view this hotel rests on its laurels and the beautiful location and could do with a serious bit of help from the hotel version of Gordon Ramsay. I would recommend to anyone considering this hotel to remember that this is a 2-star hotel asking for 4-star payment - and it is absolutely not worth it."

• Travel date: 7th July 2006

Hotels near Manor House Hotel

Top traveller tips for Manor House Hotel

• by holly_reviews

"It's a great hotel for walking the purbecks and visiting the beaches"

• by Juniper57

"Beautiful countryside and stunning views"

Manor House Hotel is also called

• manor hotel studland bay