Anchor Bar

Good

Everything about this hotel is tired and generally disappointing

Reviewed 20th July 2015

"The rooms have seen better days and are just plain shabby and worn out. The room I spent the night in had an air conditioner and despite not being turned on, it spent most the night doing an impression of a blocked drain. The bathrooms are just plain sad. Yes they are child friendly, 2am in the morning I had children running up and down outside my room. A nice view of the bay."

• Travel date: 20th July 2015

Worst hotel experience that spoilt our holiday

Reviewed 18th August 2011

"On arrival our room was totally inadequate for 3 adults and I immediately requested an upgrade with a sea view for which we would pay. Was told the hotel was fully booked. I pointed out that parts of the sofa bed had been put in the wardrobe plus an ironing board which meant we couldn't get our clothes in. An Assistant Manager came to remove them, and my husband asked for subtitles on the TV as he is profoundly deaf. Not possible as the TV was so old. This was 6pm Monday. On Tuesday evening I helped my husband into the bath to have a shower. The shower was broken and seemed to have been so for some time. I had to get dressed and go to reception to complain as our daughter also needs a shower, especially for hair washing. Both have epilepsy and do not use a bath. Had to wait for a 'phone call which informed me we could use the facilities in room 10 down the corridor! Had to escort husband in nightshirt there and back then do likewise next morning with daughter. Very, very unhappy and distressed. Were told at reception after breakfast that the shower would be fixed or another room made available. On our return from Brownsea Island told room 10 had been made ready. Sea view through tables, chairs and traffic! To make room for the sofa bed (brought from room 17) a bedside cabinet had been put in the wardrobe and a table and 2 bucket armchairs still left in the room with a desk, old bulky TV another bedside table and three beds! We could hardly move round. In my anger and frustration I put the two chairs in reception and got the bedside cabinet out of the wardrobe so we could get our clothes in, but only five hangers so had to beg more. Then had to move all our stuff although to be fair the receptionist offered to get someone to help, but I was past it. I refused to pay the £20 we were going to be charged for the sea view. All the hassle upset and stress absolutely spoilt my holiday and that impacted on my husband and daughter. So needed and looked forward to that holiday which was also for my 70th birthday, and it was so, so disappointing all due to the poor accommodation. The breakfasts were excellent although tea/coffee service was slow. The evening meals were disappointing, but the staff were very pleasant and tried to please. The location is fantastic and we loved Poole and want to visit again. My final point is that designers and management need to realise that sometimes through medical necessity it is essential for three adults to be accommodated in one room or inter-connecting rooms. We have enjoyed many holidays with hotels offering this facility including Thistle and even a Premier Inn on one occasion. Deafness is also a disability and should be catered for by having TVs with subtitles."

• Travel date: 14th August 2011

Great Hotel

Reviewed 27th July 2011

"My husband and I were recommended the Thistle Hotel but after reading some of the reviews we were very doubtful about staying there.I'm glad we went ahead the Hotel was in an excellent location right on the front,the Hotel was clean and the staff very informative. We had our first evening meal there it was absolutely delicious as was the breakfast, I couldn't fault the quality and service we had. Our room was neat and clean. However I do understand that some changes would make this Hotel more desirable e.g flat screen TV, but we were in Poole to explore and see the wonderful sights it has to offer this Hotel is definitely one to return to."

• Travel date: 24th July 2011

Great location but standard very average...

Reviewed 21st June 2007

"Great location but standard very average. Reception team was friendly. We asked for a room overlooking harbour after we checked in but they were not keen to move us, clearly as it was late in the day, 21:00 hrs. Restaurant staff friendly and professional but out of 3 meals not once could we have a table at the window even though they were clearly not being used by others. At dinner no consideration given for the fact that we had a 2 year old and had to wait a long time for her food even though we requested to receive it as soon as it was ready. Stay was good but for the price we had to pay we could be staying at a very reasonable hotel in London, that doesn't compare. "

• Travel date: 21st June 2007

My husband & two young children were vis...

Reviewed 30th August 2006

"My husband & two young children were visiting relatives in the area and needed accommodation for 2 nights. We were not looking for anything posh, just warm comfortable, clean and friendly accommodation and this was all we could get at short notice. I read some bad reviews after booking it and was worried we had made a bad move. However on arrival we were greeted politely and our room was very clean, pleasant and very comfortable. Our room did overlook the car park, but not a problem as we were not there for the view. The breakfast was fine and staff very polite. I would say its very similar to Travelodge but bit better. Not good value for money though as Travelodge so much cheaper. Location on Quay is really nice though. A pleasant stay - fine for those who want Travelodge style but don’t mind paying a chunk more if you cant find anywhere else."

• Travel date: 30th August 2006

4* hotel - not!

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"In two minds whether to comment on this hotel as we booked with [---------------]for one night and only paid £50 B&B (£25 per person) but...as the price for same night shown in reception was £120 with breakfast an extra £12.25 I feel I must warn others thnking of staying here and paying a lot more than we did. The hotel is in a good location, at the quiet end of the quay overlooking the harbour. The reception area is dark and the wood door leading to our ground floor room corridor was heavilly scratched. There are too many home-made style notices stuck on the walls. The internet is a whopping £4 for 20 mins. The worst thing was the ladies toilets by Reception - very basic fittings, bins overflowing, no loo paper - and this was only mid afternoon. The room was OK but decor dated and only a double not kingsize bed. One of the two handles on the window was snapped off and frame broken - not good security for a ground floor room. The breakfast was disappointing considering this is supposed to be a 4* hotel (needs re-assessing) but if paying £12.25 it was appalling value. Cooked items looked as if they'd been kept warm for hours, although fried eggs were cooked to order. Other items were sparsly displayed - one sad criossant at the bottom of a basket, a few yogurts all same flavour and a couple of slices of melon with curled up cheese on a plate. All in all, OK for the price we paid but, as a previous reviewer says, Travelodge is far superior, we've stayed in a few and all have been spotlessly clean, large beds, crisp linen etc."

• Travel date: 19th April 2006

Dreadful hotel

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"Stayed for four nights and it was a very unpleasant experience. Should have looked at reviews before we booked. Had to wait 3 hours to be allocated a dreadful room that looked over the car park. The window in the room did not close properly. Maintenance did not fix it. Avoid room 105. The reception staff were dreadful apart for one girl. Hotel in dire need of a makeover. Paid £104 per night, which I thought was extremely expensive for facilities. Breakfast was usually overcooked. Fruit out of tins. No fresh bread or rolls. It was our first and last visit to Poole."

• Travel date: 16th April 2006

Excellent Spring Break

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"Reading the other reviews, I think we must have just come back from a different hotel. We were greeted by very friendly and efficient reception staff. We paid extra for a sea view room, £90 per night including breakfast, the view was fantastic and would definitely recommend paying the extra. The room itself was spotlessly clean and had all the usual facilities; the bed was a king-size and was really comfortable with crisp sheets. The bathroom was also spotlessly clean with large fluffy towels and adequate toiletries. Breakfast was excellent with plenty of choice, the staff were efficient yet unobtrusive and there was an excellent view of the harbour from the window. Yes, we paid £5 per night for parking but isn’t it better to have this as an optional extra rather than being automatically added to the bill whether you want it or not. Yes – we would definitely come back to this hotel again."

• Travel date: 31st March 2006

Grubby hotel in a grubby town

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"It's years since I visited Poole, and I wont bother goinmg back anytime soon. I got 2 nights B&B for my wife and me through thistleauctions, so it was cheap - but generally disappointing. Never a good sign when the receptionist gives you vouchers for the evening meal - dont bother! The hotel was grubby, tired and very very smokey, but nice view over the bay."

• Travel date: 20th March 2006

Absolutely hideous

Reviewed 18th October 2012

"I couldn't wait to get out of this hotel after a one night business trip. It is gloomy, shabby and about 30 years overdue for a refurb. My room was dirty with stained bedding and a mouldy bathroom. The reception staff were unfriendly and unwelcoming. They also ignored THREE requests to replace the battery in my TV remote control - I gave up in the end. I witnessed one poor lady trying to ask Reception if the hotel served Sunday lunch. The staff were so rude the lady walked out clearly distressed. The worst part of my experience was the cost, this is one of the most expensive hotels in Poole without any justification whatsoever. Avoid at all costs."

• Travel date: 3rd February 2006

Appaling hotel, shabby and poorly managed

Reviewed 27th December 2012

"I stayed at Poole with my wife for a first wedding anniversary over the weekend of 7/8 jan 06. It was a very poor experience. The first room ww were offered was dirty and shabby, clean linen had footmarks on it and windows were smeared with handmarks. The window also was damaged and would not shut properly. The second room was not much better - wallpaper peeling, stained carpets, towel rails that did not work. No Sky tv even though it was advertised on the Thistle website - and no question of a reduction! Sky had apparently been cut off from the hotel! Restaurant furnishings were shabby - I was expected to sit on torn chair fabrics. With only about 12 rooms occupied, the kitchen still managed to run out of dishes even 1 hour into dining. The male toilets were disgraceful - hadn't seen a decent clean for weeks; urinals were unsecure to walls, holes in walls, limescale all over porcelain urinals and loos. This hotel is a 2 star joke! - it should be refurbed or closed. The manager needs a reality check on what service and quality is about. I have stayed at better travelodges and paid substantially less. I offer my reviews so other poor folk don't have the appaling experiences we had. It sits on its only asset - a wonderful location, but that's not enough...Avoid!"

• Travel date: 12th January 2006

thistle

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"Good location very quiet at night The room was comfortable but the bath waste was blocked. Breakfast ok Dinner expenive £6 for a miniscule portion of melon as a starter. I objected to £5 per night car park charge and they removed it from bill."

• Travel date: 24th October 2005

Hotels near Thistle Poole

Top traveller tips for Thistle Poole

• by Shaun B

"Refurbish the hotel or knock it down and start again "

• by Fitzy Lass

"Visit Poole Pottery for shopping and watching potters at work and also The Ginger Pop Shop for nostalgia of old childhood games and Enid Bly..."

• by Readie

"find out the places that interest you most to visit and plan each day accordingly"

Thistle Poole is also called