Exterior

Good

Good hotel in good location

Reviewed 13th October 2012

"We have just returned from a 6 night stay in this hotel and will definitely stay there again when in Poole. Once we got our bearings we found that the hotel is only 5-10 mins walk from the sea if you walk via the flyover and continue straight ahead. The first day we walked through the bus station and shopping centre and down the high street which took about 20 mins. The shopping centre is closed at night,so the quickest route we found to the high street is to go over the fly-over,cross pelican crossing,down the side of 'Aldi' ,straight down that road past Sainsburys and turn right. The hotel was very clean and our family bedroom consisted of a double bed and a bed settee(bedsettee not as comfortable as the premier inns). There was a nice big walk-in power shower in the bathroom with Lux shower gel/soap.Plenty of towels and disposable face cloths. The air conditioning unit in the room actually worked as it should do,with both Hot and Cold air settings working! Although the hotel is next to a railway line we didn't hear the trains much. The walls must be quite thick as we didn't hear many noises from other guests except sometimes we heard the odd kid running up the stairs(Our room 115 was next to the stairwell). The breakfasts are taken in the bar area and we enjoyed a pleasant breakfast each morning,watching the TV.There wasn't a mad rush as breakfast is available for 3 hours . With toast,croissants,variety of cakes, cereals, fruit, yoghurts, cheese,Hot drinks,juices etc being replenished constantly there was ample to eat. The hotel serves bar snacks from 6.30pm to 9.30 pm. Bar open until 12 midnight. They also provide local' take away 'menus for you to select from and once you have chosen & written down what you want on a sheet,the reception phone through your order for you and let you know when it has arrived.They even provide plates,cutlery & napkins for use with your take away meal.This can then be eaten either in the Bar area or in your room. There is a free ice machine. A 'Honesty' fridge with chocolates,crisps,nuts,sausage rolls & pasties(microwave to heat them up) in reception-take what you want & pay receptionist. Complimentary newspapers available in reception area. Free parking with ample parking spaces in hotel grounds-obtain a parking pass when booking in as the area at rear & sides of hotel is used as a pay & display during the day and reserved soley for hotel guests after 6pm. Poole Park is a couple of minutes walk down the side of hotel and well worth a visit.With a miniature railway,childrens indoor(payable) and outdoor(free)play areas.Cafes and restaurant. There are several lakes with lots of water fowl and bird/duck food and fish food sold at start of miniature railway .With it only costing £1 for 2 plastic tubs full it was a pleasurable few minutes feeding the ducks/geese. Only a couple of minutes walk to bus station and Dolphin shopping centre. TIP:20p charge for bus station toilets but a few yards away in shopping centre & everywhere else they are free. For fish & chips go to 'The Chip Shop' in the bus station.The best we have ever had! The hotel staff were all very efficient and friendly. They will phone a taxi for you if required. Would definitely recommend this hotel !"

• Travel date: 26th August 2008

OK - but not as near to quay as expected

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"This hotel is OK.... I would question the 'easy walking distance' from the quay, I had read when I booked it 'minutes from the quay' and it was infact a 20 minute treck through a housing estate !! On our first trip intoPoole from the hotel we went by the bus station and flyover and through shops - the wrong way (not easy to work out) and the walk was a good 30mins. We paid £112 for this room for one night on laterooms.com, which I thought was quite a lot when a premier inn of similar standard room is £60 a night. Ok no breakfast with premier, but, hey , the breakfast wasn't that special here. Just grapefruit segments, yogarts, fruit (apples, oranges bananas) Danishes and toast (the toaster took ages ). For this amount you could find a better hotel with perhaps a swimming pool and cooked breakfast. I won't return. Agree with another post the Premier Inn at Holes Bay is much better value at £60 a night for a room. I have been there too. The situation of the hotel with a flyover infront of it, rail track to one side and car park to other wasn't what I was expecting and I was a bit disapointed with that. No bath, just a walk in shower, no frills like biscuits on tea tray. Ok, quite clean, but nothing remarkable."

• Travel date: 29th July 2008

Good value,no complaints

Reviewed 12th November 2012

"A good Holiday Inn Express. This more than delivers expectations. It's a decent hotel in a decent location with decent staff and affords good value for money which is what I was looking for. I have no complaints and would recommend this hotel. Poole itself is a lovely town and well worth a visit."

• Travel date: 7th July 2008

An ideal location

Reviewed 22nd October 2012

"I stayed here overnight with family before moving on to a caravan holiday. The hotel was a bit difficult to get to but once there it exceeded expectations. The room was very clean and comfortable. The breakfast had a good selection of cereals, croissants, danish pastries, yoghurts etc. You helped yourself to this along with drinks. The breakfast room was nice and unstuffy with a small patio outside. You could have stayed there all day! I am a frequent visit to Poole and the surrounding are and I would definitely stay here again as it is only a 5 minute walk in to the town. It is also just down the road from Poole Park where you can't beat on a lovely summer's day."

• Travel date: 24th June 2008

Nice hotel

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"We stayed at the Holiday Inn Express for one night while in Poole to do geneology research at the museum. Very nice room, clean, large bathroom with excellent shower. Average breakfast cold buffet and helpful staff. Internet access in lobby, coin operated for a quick check of emails. Lovely town, especially "Old Town" section with restaurants. Good shopping on the High Street (pedestrian). 20 minute walk to town from the hotel or an inexpensive ride via taxi (3-4gbp.) The museum was terrific - very helpful staff for research, extensive archives. Good exhibits about Poole."

• Travel date: 12th June 2008

Excellent Hotel

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"I stayed here on an overnight trip to the area. I wanted somewhere convenient, with parking and at a reasonble cost. I got all that which was exactly what I expected but the standard of the hotel overall was much higher that what I was expecting. The rooms were lovely, spotlessly clean with a very comfortable bed. The breakfast was very nice. There was cereal and toast, fresh fruit, croissants, various juices, various bread products. All of which was fresh and very nice. I ate in the hotel the previous night and whilst it was quite slow, the Thai curry when I got it was delicious. I would definitely stay there again if I were in town."

• Travel date: 6th June 2008

Nothing to get excited about

Reviewed 30th November 2012

"An adequate hotel for a couple of nights but nothing very special. The rooms are ok but I felt like the cleanliness could have been improved slightly. The staff were helpful and check in etc was pretty quick. I would not recommend eating in the hotel in the evening. When I attempted it it took over 45 minutes for a microwaved lasagne to arrive! If the bar was full I might have understood why but there was only one other person there! His Thai green curry took about the same length of time. There was one guy microwaving the food and serving but I cannot understand why it took so long! It was awful when it arrived too! Breakfast was fine."

• Travel date: 24th April 2008

Just OK - Cannot understand the high scores

Reviewed 8th October 2012

"The approach to the hotel if you are driving is very poor. You can see the hotel quite some distance away but trying to find the entrance to the hotel is a bit tricky. The front desk, reception and bar area are very nice - clean, modern and a great place to relax. The receptionist on arrival was great and advised us of local places etc without us having to ask. The bar area was also busy with other guests. The room was OK, it was a little tired and will need redecorating and refurbing within the next year - but nevertheless was very clean. However when I was woken up at 12.45 due to the noise from the air con units below our bedroom window the receptionist advise there was nothing we could do until we checked out. When I complained that the noise went on all night the receptionist on duty was extremely rude and only offered £20 refund as so many people had complained. I have since spoken to the manager and gained a further £20 refund. The same as all these 'chain' hotels, once there is a problem they dont want to know. Other guests advised the other side of the building is also noisy due to the train track running alongside. The breakfast is OK; just cereal and toast but pleasant enough - no complaints. I think for what you pay (£80) the service and quality of the room are the same as a travelodge which you can now get for £29. If you can stay here at a discounted rate say £50 - £60 it would be worth it but not £80."

• Travel date: 26th March 2008

Perfect location

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"Situated within easy walking distance of the town centre and a short drive from the quay. Ideal for venturing out to other Dorset resorts. Very clean, modern hotel. Cheerful and efficient reception. Buffet breakfast was adequate, but suffered a little when the hotel was full on the Saturday morning. Pay as you go internet connection, but was also wi-fied. If you like good wholesome English food, there are 2 Wetherspoon pubs in the town. Foreign visitors will like the Poole Pottery outlet centre on the quayside Holiday inns give you a standard finish, this was one of the better serviced ones."

• Travel date: 25th March 2008

Not sure why this place gets rated so highly

Reviewed 13th December 2012

"Stayed for one night on 14th March. The best way I can sum the place up is to say that everything was *just* about okay, but nothing particularly great. The location isn't great, particularly if you're arriving by train as it's a walk along busy roads and through a bus station to get there. It's about a 20 minute walk to the centre/quay, where the restaurants are - again, along busy roads. The main problem is that the best way to walk there is through a shopping centre, which is fine when it's open, but you're a bit stuffed after 6pm. I think it works better as a place for drivers. Anyway, the room was okay - clean, basic, but a bit tired, as was the shower room, which will need updating in a year or two. Breakfast is simple - cereal and toast and that's about it, but it does the job. A few of my colleagues were staying in Poole that evening, but in different places. On chatting to them and comparing my experience, I think I got a worse deal. As said, nothing about it was particularly bad - just nothing particularly great. I paid £80 for the room, which is the standard rate (couldn't find anything cheaper on the web). I think if I'd have paid something closer to £60 then that would have been a fair price for the experience. So, would I recommend it? - if you can get a better price than the standard rate then probably. Also, if you're in a group I guess this kind of place works better - particularly stag/hen groups, of which there were a couple when I was there. Sorry I can't be more positive."

• Travel date: 19th March 2008

Hotels near Holiday Inn Express Poole

Holiday Inn Express Poole is also called

• poole holiday inn express
  • holiday inn poole