This hotel is now closed.

Hotels near Wessex Hotel

Wessex Hotel

Good

Bed Bugs and Nightmare stay at The Wessex Hotel Bournemouth which ruined our short family break!

Reviewed 7th September 2016

"We are a family of 4 traveled from Northamptonshire to enjoy little summer break in Dorset for few days. Booked and stayed at Wessex hotel Bournemouth. We thought we did our research and booked mid range family hotel, so all went quite well. Then in the middle of the night approx at 2.00am I started to get itchy and uneasy. Obviously something wasn’t right and after a bit of inspection around we discovered bedbugs running around on our beds. The issue was reported to the reception and we were moved to a double bedroom. Considering we are a family of 4, this wasn’t ideal option as we were expected to sleep on one double bed, 2 adults and 2 toddlers. Not that I felt like I would be able to close my eyes because of the distress I have experienced. So I have spent the next 5 hours with my iPhone torch, monitoring and scanning the bed around my sleeping kids. The next day after check out, we have been notified by Hotel manager about report being done by professional company who inspected our infested room. Report stated that nothing had been found and room was clear. With that report our *claim* was thrown off managers list of action. We recently moved into 4bedroom family home, did we pay Wessex hotel Bournemouth for bedbugs and fob off experience from management? We had to sanitize all our clothes from suitcases and throw away possibly infected suitcases to prevent bedbugs enter our new home. We do hope our house won’t get bedbugs, as a proper professional pest control on bedbugs could run over £1000 in 4bed house. All we were left with was the mental scarring, exhausted and sleepless selves and a long journey home. This has also cost us 2 binned suitcases and some personal items including clothes which we couldn’t risk to leave because of the chance of infestation of our new build home. Overall, we had very bad experience and are extremely disappointed by Wessex hotel attitude to its customers, after all its very easy of waving piece of paper stating that problems don’t exist while customers show photo/video evidence of bedbugs bites/running around stating otherwise. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iYP2N2BqAgY "

• Travel date: 25th August 2016

Mediocre hotel

Reviewed 7th September 2016

"Stayed here in August with a friend - reserved on a credit card - on check in was just given key - no paperwork to complete. The hotel is very dated and needs serious renovations . Was told by leisure center receptionist that outdoor pool was heated but this was not the case - as confirmed by hotel through another review website. Pool area very tired and in need of a good clean - black mound around top of tiles. On going to breakfast which was adequate was told did not see we had laid for it but this was rectified. On check out was told we had been charged as a no show. This was due to lack of customer care during the check in process. Unfortunately the whole amount was then taken from the credit card, when we expecting to pay half each. Receptionist just kept saying - you pay each other - his ever without knowing my gins dual situation and that I had no available cash until the next pay day thus was not acceptable, however as has proved with all the responses to bad reviews from this hotel it was not their fault and must gave been someone else. "

• Travel date: 23rd August 2016

Needs a lick of paint, an update and a lot of pollyfiller!

Reviewed 4th November 2013

"The pictures on the website make it look lovely and it wasn't for the staff we would have left straightaway!! It has old fashioned 70's decoration and furniture in the bedrooms, and although quite a big room it faced a noisy road and was very very hot!! Bathroom was so old fashioned with holes in the ceiling, very disappointing but the room was kept clean and thick towels. The beds were so hard and uncomfortable, if I stayed more than 3 days I'd have to change rooms or beds. Food was very school-dinners choices, although good enough. Breakfast was ok, no mushrooms at breakfast, had to keep asking for things but the staff were happy and friendly. Reception staff need to make more of an effort to smile!! The leisure club's towels were so thin they had holes in and some bleach stained, only allowed 1 thin bath towel that would make a j-cloth look thick!!The pool and hot tub were cold but well maintained but the freezing cold, grubby, paint-peeling walls were very off putting and the freezing changing rooms made us book our bus home and taxi home earlier. A luxury weekend this was not and 3 stars it should not be, Faulty Towers it should be renamed. Having been to the Exeter hotel which is wonderful in comparison, i will tell Head Office to send a decorator/maintenance team to sort it quick before they loose customers! Having said all this, it is very near the town and beach with a lovely lounge area and the staff were good, didn't rush you and did chat and gave great local information. Good for a 1 night stay."

• Travel date: 4th November 2013

Horror Hotel

Reviewed 10th September 2013

"I have just stayed with my wife for 11 Days in this Hotel and straight away will say this isn't pertinent to the wonderful Bar Staff and Waitresses or the Restaurant with its great meals and breakfasts. The picture of the Room we booked was an absolute fallacy .We booked a double room and got a single Room with a three Quarter Bed. It was filthy and we didn't have adequate Room to hang our clothes..Only one Seat no air conditioning..Filthy Towels ..Bad bed linen only changed once in 11 Days...Room cleaned at 3.30 each Day..Towels to follow at 4.30 if you were lucky...Unworkable shower...Dangerous Kettle which burned my wife's hand...Only go here for a Meal...The corridor stank and was filthy.Loud Music from in house events kept us awake .Horror Show. We have photos of the Room to send to the Hotel parent company"

• Travel date: 30th August 2013

Things aren't what they used to be

Reviewed 7th July 2012

"We have been going to this hotel for 30 years, three years ago it started to be going downhill, but we kept giving it another chance. Last year we found that it had been taken over by another goup known as Akkeron. The manager at the time told us to give it another chance this year when they have managed to sort any problems out. If anything it was worse this year. I am mainly referring to the standard of food which I feel is a big part of a holiday. The breakfast was not too bad, but they kept running out of cereal bowls and they did not fill up food very quickly when it ran out. The evening meal was just like a school dinner, very bland and unimaginative, there was a choice but the whole meal lacked colour, it was quite unappetising. The wine waiter did not pour the wine for you to taste, but just left the unopen bottle on the table. This is not the sort of service you expect from a 3 star hotel. The hotel itself is still very nice, bedrooms are clean and comfortable, nice bar and lounge area and lovely ballroom. The staff are very friendly and helpful. If they want repeat bookings then they really should sort out the meal problem as most of our group all said the same."

• Travel date: 7th July 2012

Dancing holiday

Reviewed 13th July 2011

"We arrived home a couple of days ago having spent 4 nights in the hotel on half board with our dancing group, a hundred of us in all. We personally have been going to this hotel for the last 30 years either Xmas, New Year or during the summer. We have to admit the standard of the food and service in the dining room this year was appalling. They ran out of cereal bowls every morning, the haddock was small and so tough you could not cut it with a knife, the porridge came up so thick you could use it to hang wallpaper with. The evening meal the first night especially was awful, it did improve a little after that but was not up to Wessex standard. The manager told us they had only taken over a few weeks ago from Forestdale group as they had gone into liquidation. I feel the staff should have been better trained in the hotel trade before dealing with the public. However I will say that all the staff and the management were very polite and helpful. I just hope they are learning by their mistakes and the standard will be a lot better next year. I personally will give them another try. "

• Travel date: 10th July 2011

Fab couple of nights at the Wessex

Reviewed 24th June 2011

"Can't believe some of the reviews! Just back from a lovely weekend at the Wessex. Room was immaculate, huge, comfy beds, clean, quiet. Staff were friendly and very efficient. Leisure facilities good. Breakfast was delicious and catered for all tastes, service was brilliant. Could I fault it??? Not really but if I was to be really picky it would be to say no to the ratpack tunes over breakfast and that's it. We are a well travelled family who just want a bit of comfort and customer care. We got that at the Wessex. We will return."

• Travel date: 20th June 2011

bedrooms and hallways need urgent make-over

Reviewed 6th September 2010

"We have been visiting the Wessex on and off for the past twenty-seven years. Three-day break August/September weather very good. Finally a refurbishment of the ground floor but bedrooms and hallways need an urgent make-over also lift is still shaky after all these years! Beds and bed linen very poor quality. First evening had meal in restaurant but menu boring and food bland also over-priced. However breakfast good. Staff good but some need further lessons in the English language. Leisure facilities very poor compared to other large hotels in Bournemouth. Tip: on settling bill check carefully as we were charged for a bottle of wine we did not have, receptionist most put out as she had to re-calculate bill and print new one. On this occasion we were very disappointed with the Wessex."

• Travel date: 3rd September 2010

If you need to stay as close as possible...

Reviewed 6th September 2008

"If you need to stay as close as possible to Bournemouth town centre then the Wessex Hotel may be worth the price premium over its sister hotel 'The Carrington' on the other side of town. But to be honest, we missed our long sandy walks along the beach from the east side of Bournemouth, enjoyed the previous year. On the plus side, the Wessex doss have two very smart swimming pools with changing and shower areas. One of the heated pools is outside, which is particularly very nice. The restaurant was smart but desperately needed a window or two, not just for daylight, but for some ventilation. It was really was uncomfortably hot and humid at meal times. Our room was clean, smart, modern and comfortable. There was no air conditioning in our bedroom, which in itself was not a problem providing you open the windows for ventilation and fresh air. Otherwise, the heat and humidity would have been unbearable. A rude awakening at 6.30am every morning however was the one reason why we shall never return to the Wessex. It turned out that our room overlooked the rear delivery bay for lorries to deliver food to the hotel each morning. Waiting 30 minutes each morning for the driver to complete his delivery, banging and clattering before we could try to get back to sleep made me very cross. The receptioinist said the driver shouldn't really arrive before 7am and that they would have a word with him, but guess what - we were on holiday!!! We wanted to sleep even later than 7am!!! If you do stay at the Wessex, insist that your room is not at the back of the hotel, unless of course you're a 6 O'Clock early morning riser - even on holiday!! "

• Travel date: 6th September 2008

wessex hotel

Reviewed 19th October 2012

"Disappointed with the hotel looked very run down from the outside better when you got inside no gardens to speak but at least we had a car park space.The room was o.k. but very hot we had a premier room on the ground floor so we overlooked the staff car park and every night the children were woken by bottles being put in the bottle bank.at about 11.30 pm probably would be quieter on the other side of the hotel.The food however was great and the entertainer on the Sunday night was really good.The out side swimming pool was not very clean either. Locality was good. The room was clean and well equipped the bathroom was too but thought a premier room would have been in a better position."

• Travel date: 31st July 2006

Room nothing like photo of Single room on Website

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"Firstly I would say I often review hotels for this site and 90% of the time I am falling over myself to praise them so I am certainly not a misery guts. I spent three nights here from 21st to 24th July. The main problem with this hotel was that the single rooms are nothing like the photograph of a single room on the hotel website. The difference in the quality is an absolute joke. When I arrived the sullen lady on reception told me that they required payment on arrival and I am not surprised now. After seeing the incredibly small cramped room number 365 that was seriously in need of modernisation I complained, mentioning the photo on the website which was spacious and modern. I eventually managed to speak to a more helpful person in reservations. This lady explained they would only be swapping like for like since the rooms were all the same and she admitted with a glint in her eye that she understood perfectly why I would complain. In the end they kindly offered me another room in a different hotel but it was on the wrong side of the town for all my events so I stayed put, I had specifically researched the hotels on West Cliff because I needed to be nearby. By the way they mention on the site that they give you a family of Forrestdale Ducks for your bathroom which is fine but mine remained thoroughly landlocked since they didn't provide an accompanying bath just a small shower. I had breakfast on Saturday and Monday mornings and the food is of a very good quality however the staff do hover trying to take your plate away as soon as they think you might have finished. On Monday when I arrived at 9.30am because they should serve till 10.00am and I was met with the staff clearing everything away. I managed to get some food and orange juice but their clearing away created an atmosphere to me of "get out we have almost finished" when I should have been able to have a leisurely breakfast for 30 minutes. I was gone by 9.45am and by then absolutely all the food and drinks had been cleared away completely. It wasn't all bad there. The reception and the bar area have been recently renovated and are quite nice if a little reminiscent of a characterless Weatherspoons pub. The spa area with indoor and outdoor pools, sauna and steam room is perfectly fine and it is kept clean and tidy. Apart from their rush to move you on from breakfast the people in the restaurant were very friendly when you spoke to them unlike the previously mentioned sullen lady on reception called Deborah who really looked like she didn't want to be there. I didn't get my wake up call and she admitted she had checked me out of the system before 9.00am which is why it was cancelled. At least that got a laugh from her at my expense. I was just glad I had woken up on time by myself on time. Overall really only okay, thankfully I had only paid £50 a night for my room which was just about acceptable, if I had paid the full price of £80 a might I would have felt massively cheated !!"

• Travel date: 24th July 2006

perfect hotel for family get together

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"I celebrated my 60th birthday with 16 members of my family, including 7 grandchildren, at the Wessex Hotel. We all had a wonderful time, the staff were brilliant, the food was absolutely superb and the leisure facilities were great and enjoyed by all. We highly recommend this hotel and can't wait for our next visit"

• Travel date: 3rd June 2006

Hotels near Wessex Hotel

Top traveller tips for Wessex Hotel

• by mumsaway

"Don't go. Only stay a short time and ask for a soft mattrass. Take a wetsuit for the pool and hot tub, cos its Freeeeeezing!!"

• by sun-burnt couple

"do not expect too much"

• by foxtrot

"Not suitable for children, there are no amenities for them. You can take your dog with you for 7.50 per night"

Wessex Hotel is also called