The Suncliff Hotel

29 East Overcliff Drive, Bournemouth BH1 3AG England

room nice, breakfasts terrible

"Arrived at the hotel 2.30pm, to be told rooms were not ready, they were just being finished off and could we come back later. We parked the car, and went off for a while. Returned to the hotel at 7pm, rooms were ready but no tvs, kids were not too happy. The rooms were on the top floor, they were nice, but you could still smell the paint from the corridor. A little noisy in the morning, from refuse collection, recycling collection etc, but we know that cannot be helped. Tvs arrived next morning, but they took away the vanity mirror, where the hairdryer was. Breakfasts were terrible, overcooked some mornings, undercooked other mornings, also they could be extremely slow in coming out. Outdoor pool at the Cumberland Hotel was very nice, the only problem being, they expected you to buy drinks or food. However it was a nice location."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of August 2008

great time

"Its such a shame for people to whinge about this hotel i was meeting with friends in bournemouth and decided this time not to stay with them so i searched for hotels and come up with this one i found the staff pleasent hotel excelent being a lone traveller i was a bit apprehensive staying on my own but everyone was friendly even down to the night porter when i finally arrived back at 3 in the morning asking if i had a good night and where had i been so i recomend this to anyone thank you suncliff for a nice break from sandsmi"

• Travel date: Thu 31st of July 2008

Avoid - where do I start my moans!

"We booked this as a romantic couple of days away. It certainly wasn't that when we reached Bournemouth! The hotel looks good from the outside as you approach it. The car park spaces are pretty small and it took a good bit of manoevering to get the car parked, thankfully we got a place. I had previously emailed the hotel asking about parking, but got no reply. The reception were dealing with another la****min**.com booker, my heart sank as they had no note of his booking. I was tired after driving for around 6 hrs on a hot sunny day so wanted a painless check in. Alas, this was not to be. No record of our booking, even though we had a confirmation email from the agent with confirmation that we were to be located in this hotel. After 10 mins of faffing about we were advised that we were ok to check in. During this time, a chap came up to complain about problems in his room, he was abruptly dealt with in my opinion. We had an early flight the next day so would miss the breakfast sitting. We asked if we could get something to take away with us, possibly a roll or something to keep us going. Ok said the receptionist she would sort something out for us just ask her later on that night.

We went to see our room. The passageways were convuluted, smelled of dust and the stairs pretty narrow. The room was a good size. We had booked a standard double and appeared to have a double bed and a single bed, so I worry about the normal double bed size. The decor is very 80's, the room smelled and I presume it hadnt been cleaned for a while. We were too tired to complain.

The shower is caked in limescale, tiles very 70's, a chip in the bath enamel, dirty grout, the soil pipe was covered in fluff and pipes from the sink were dirty, so much so I could make a line with my wet finger. Even the trouser press had dust in it!

We left the hotel to get fresh air and on our return asked the receptionist about our breakfast. Everything is sorted she advised, we also booked a wake up call for 4:15am for our early flight.

No wake up call and when we reach reception, the night porter has heard about our breakfast request but has to go and find it. Whilst I attempt to extracate the car out of the small parking space, my partner is given, two small orange juice cartons and two small tubs of natural yoghurt and one spoon. This seemingly equates to the £8.95 they charge for breakfast!!!

An awful experience, I certainly will not recommend this group of hotels. What a waste of my time and money. The travelodge we stayed at the night before was certainly more romantic"

• Travel date: Fri 25th of July 2008

5* Hotel Prices for Dog Kennel Accommodation

"Dreadful. That is a good word to use when summing up our experience with the Suncliff hotel.

We made the mistake of booking the Suncliff for the August Bank Holiday of 2007. We paid £185 per night for two nights - we could have paid slightly less, but we decided to pay extra for the 'Sea view room'.

First of all, parking is a nightmare, because the spaces struggle to fit anything other than a Smart-Car. Within 5 minutes of our arrival, we watched some poor lady reverse her Rover into the wall.

Reception staff were polite, and were happy to accommodate my pregnant wife with a fan because our (tiny) room had no air conditioning. The room didn't have a nice bed either - it should have been replaced many years ago. The nasty felted headboard had a long strip of dirt running across it where hundreds of previous customers must have rested against it. We were also disappointed with our "sea view" - as the broken window showed us only condensation, we couldn't see the sea unless we stuck our heads out of the extremely dirty window. To top it off, the decor *must* have been there since the early 1980's, and the general cleanliness was very poor.

Breakfast the following morning was another disappointment. Cooked breakfast was ok, but the dining area was ugly and dingy, and we had to practically beg for a cup of coffee as the staff were run off their feet.

On departure, we did fill out a complaint form. This was ignored.

The hotel next door to the Suncliff has a nicer pool, and better lunch options. If you insist on paying such ridiculous sums of money to stay in Bournemouth, at least consider staying next door instead. The only way I would return here is if I were paying a maximum of £25 per night like some of the other reviewers on this site."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of July 2008

very good value for money!!!!!!

Good

"I was in bournemouth for a few days to visit some friends and was in the area of the popular Eastcliff so wanted to book a stay in the nearby area. I orginally walked into the 4star on the corner, but was greated with such stuffy behaviour and they were way over my budget.
Further along the Eastcliff I came across the Suncliff and decided to give a try. On first impressions the staff were all down ot earth and I was greeted with great smiles, even though I could see that the hotel was busy.
I enquired about a walk in rate and they quoted me £42.50 BB with and upgrade amount of £15 per night for a sea view, they said it was a special rate. I took it.
My experiance at this hotel was an enjoyable one. The bar staff were great. My 3 days flew by and can honestly say that i have stayed in many hotels, some 5star, but this one certainly has that x factor you look for.
I will for certain book this hotel again, not only does it have fantastic location, there is a uber soave lounge bar next door which I believe the Suncliff also own. this was a great choice. I take my hat to the creators and the managment for giving 1st class service a price everyone can afford.
By reading some of the other comments on this site and am not sure if they stayed in the same hotel!?"

• Travel date: Sun 18th of May 2008

Great location, great staff - a great hotel!

Good

"I recently had cause to stay in Bournemouth for business and decided to extand my stay a few days. The staff in the Tourist Office recommended I tried The Suncliff Hotel on the Eastcliff.

They were doing a special offer price (I wouldn't normally stay in a 3-star for just a couple of nights) so I decided to give it a try.
On arrival the staff were really welcoming, even though I'd only made the booking 15 minuted prior in the Tourist Office they were expecting me and even gave me a complimentary upgrade to a Sea-View room.
I decided to have dinner at the hotel as I hate dining out alone and I was really suprised by the quality of the food - not tiny portions and loads of choice. The barman told me that they own the 2 hotels next door and I could use all the facilities in the others.

For someone travelling alone, The Suncliff was a really friendly hotel - it's made me think again about staying in the higher-starred hotels which I had assumed were all a bit 'stuffy' and when I checked out the receptionist told me to check their website as they do lots of special offers. I for one will be back next time I'm in Bournemouth!"

• Travel date: Mon 5th of May 2008

Bargain...?!

"I booked this hotel as it had a special offer of £32.50 per person per night including breakfast and it had a heated indoor pool although this was a bargain I'm glad we didn't pay anymore than this, else I would have been in tears!

The hotel has a musty unpleasant smell, is very dated and needs redecorating and modernisation. Our room was fine but the hotel has the heating up sky high so we had to have the window open ALL the time even during the night (which we had to close when it became too cold). The shower was very slippery to the point where I had to wash my hair in the sink as I was apprehensive about falling over!

The scaffolding that other people have mentioned has gone and the swimming pool and other facilities are all open again and as most of the residents were elderly we did have the pool etc. to ourselves which was lovely. However, the ‘heated’ pool was freezing and for some reason there were 2 hose pipes in the pool, the pool-side was VERY slippery (so I feel it would be unsafe for the elderly and small children). The changing rooms again, needed work – the toilet did not lock and the lockers were all broken.

Also, the drinking water in the hotel was VERY unpleasant to the point where we couldn’t drink it, we brought bottled water instead. We thought the water would improve at breakfast for our morning coffee but it did not. The breakfast was ok, in that there was cereal to choose from, fruit and yogurt but the cooked breakfast was very poor and the eggs were barely cooked. The portions are also very small and we were not offered simple things like, red or brown sauce – although we did later find these hidden away on the side by the waiters (?)

The drinks in the hotel bar are a complete rip-off at £4.20 for a glass of wine and £3.20 for a beer. I would not stay at this hotel again!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 16th of April 2008

Outdated hotel, but helpful friendly staff

"I read the reviews on here before booking so knew what to expect for my money and was not surprised with what I got. If on the other hand you pay more than £50 for a double room, or you made your booking based on the hotels website you might not be so happy.

On arrival I was very impressed with the downstairs reception areas, the reception, bar etc all were decorated nicely. It is obviously here where the money has been spent and sadly the bedrooms have clearly not seen a paintbrush for many a decade.

The check in staff greeted us with a smile and were proffesional and courteous.

We went to our room, which is when the dissapointment began. I had to decline the first room as the mattress was visibly sagging in the middle and I could never have slept on it. The staff handled my request very pleasantly and showed me to another room. The second room was much worse than the first decor wise but the mattress was actually very comfortable so I decided this was more important for one night.

The room itself although very tired and outdated was clean, the bathroom however was horrible. There was no window and it smelt very musty (maybe the shower curtain?). It was also floor to ceiling in a dark green marble effect, not only was this dark but I did not like it as felt it could have disguised multiple stains?!

If and when some money is spent on updating the rooms this could be a lovely hotel, but of course then you will be looking at spending double.

If you get a bargain and you can grin and bear it for a couple of nights then go for it, if not then choose something nicer within your budget.

Other comments- swimming pool not open without any warning (I had been looking forward to a swim to help my hangover in the morning!)

Breakfast was actually really nice"

• Travel date: Sat 22nd of March 2008

Suncliff Bournemouth we won't return

"As we drove up the road, the front of the Suncliff had scaffolding, but we were booked in efficiently by smart pleasant uniformed staff. Then on entering our room there was the scaffolding across our sea view. ( see photos ) Back to Reception we checked the indoor pool, only to find it was empty all facilities were out of use, after complaining to the Senior Receptionist we were referred to Mr. Steve Pye the Duty Manager, apologized for taking the sea view booking but no apology for the pool as they had made arrangements for guests to use the indoor pool at the Queens Hotel up the road.. Now we booked this Hotel for the onsite indoor pool as they have three hotels that share facilities, but who wants the inconvenience of putting on their outdoor winter clothes to walk to a nearby hotel, then walk back with damp/wet hair ? Anyway we were refunded the sea view costs. But no one had spoke of the problems at check in or emailed, telephoned or wrote to advise of these problems
The hotel in general was a little dated, when in our four poster bed we could not see the 14” TV mounted on the corner shelf. Also with any older building there were fire doors everywhere, with steps to different levels.
Also the gym is now leased out privately and only open to hotel guests on Saturday afternoons, this is not advertised on the website
The breakfast was great, smart pleasant staff, a wide choice of well presented good food and good service.
Overall pleasant staff trying to keep a dated, tired hotel running efficiently.

We did use the pool at the Queens Hotel and the reception and leisure facilities appeared a lot smarter, but cannot comment on the rooms,"

• Travel date: Sat 9th of February 2008

Great Price, Great Stay

Good

"Wow, I booked on the hotels special offer £20.08 and £9.95 for Dinner what a bargin, I certainly wasn't disappointed!

The hotel was nice, clean and the staff where friendly, which is all you can ask for when the rate so low! I'm looking forward to coming back in the summer - hopefully I can get a great rate then as well!"

• Travel date: Tue 29th of January 2008

My stay at The Suncliff Hotel

"I stayed at the hotel in August 2010 with my sister and her three young children. The adjoining bedroom they gave us was adequate and the restaurant service was excellent but they seemed to be stingy with food and one evening did not have enough deserts! The entertainment in the hotel was very good and the bar service was excellent and we could use the facilities at the Cumberland Hotel which was far superior in every way!
We found the reception staff disinterested and surly - when a question was asked they just shrugged and didn't bother with an answer!

At the end of our stay we paid our bill and were then told that we now have to move our car straightaway as they have a lunch there and could not cater for residents that had checked out. We asked them if they knew of any parking facilities and were told that they are not interested and they will be following us out of the hotel to make sure we moved! This was a terrible end to quite a pleasant stay! We did make a complaint but it was not dealt with to our satisfaction so we would never go back again!

We have never had cause to complain about a hotel before and were mortified that this would happen especially as we have stayed in the Cumberland and have raved about this! If you are thinking of booking the Suncliff please think again!

J, London "

• Travel date: Thu 15th of August 2013

Not value for money

"We just spent 7 nights in the Suncliff hotel which us cost is £1228. The room was very stylish and the view was superb on the top level in a room called Beatrice. But there were a lot of other problems that I would like to draw your attention to.
On signing in we were asked to sign a form, pay the bill, given a key with a blue card for room charges and told where our room was and that was it. Two days before the end of our holiday, we found out being on club level meant we could have breakfast at the Cumberland. We never did find out if there was anything else to club level.
Within 20 minutes of being in the room I realised there were no guest information hair dryer and tea and coffee for two people. We were 3. I went down to reception where I was told that there were no guest information books as they were at the printers. The porter was sent up with an old hair dryer and some tea things. The following day I went down again because our shower had no power or cold water after 30 seconds of running and the TV had only a couple of channels that cubed up every 5 minutes. I explained that this was a respite holiday for my husband as he is recovering from a Bone Marrow transplant and we were not happy. I was told that if we left we would not receive a refund. A guest information book was found for me and a maintenance man was sent up who agreed there was no pressure but said the installers would have to be called. The next day I asked again but there seemed to be no knowledge of any of my problems. This time a porter came up with us and agreed the shower was lousy and looked at the TV but said there was nothing he could do as it must be the weather up setting the signal. (It was not working on sunny days) He said he would make a note but that was the last we heard. We decided to stop complaining as it was of no use even though my husband has a lot of skin problems after his transplant and needed a proper shower and he gets worn out quickly so we rely on TV for entertainment.
We were also disappointed with the arbitrary tea/coffee/hot chocolate being left as there were never enough for 3 people. We found the breakfast to be a bit of a cattle market as it very packed every morning and the staff seemed harassed. The breakfast got very boring although the last two mornings at the Cumberland were lovely. I would like to mention that for a room at this price I would expect at least some of the following:
Working shower
Working TV
A wardrobe (Hangers above a unit is of no use for dresses or enough space for 3 people for a week)
More than one room key
More hooks in the bathroom (one on the door frame got clothes caught in the door)
Free Wifi
A box of tissues
Information about surrounding area
Information about club level
Iron and Ironing board that we don’t have to give back after use
Fridge, so we could buy our own milk
Lastly we rarely got a parking space and had to pay 4 times.
There were no extras in the room and what seemed like a young inexperienced staff.
This is really not the holiday we wanted or expected and certainly not the hotel that we were paying £152.15 to £211.65 a night for.
This was our first holiday in 3 years and was not recuperative for my husband at all.

• Travel date: Fri 10th of September 2010

Hotels near The Suncliff Hotel

Stayed at The Suncliff Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for The Suncliff Hotel

• Gabriel by Gabriel

"Ignore reception staff "

• Donna by Donna

"Don't expect any extras "

The Suncliff Hotel is also called