Good
Good

Home from Home

Reviewed Tue 19th of March 2013

"Will definitely be using the Thanet for all my business trips in the area and will most difinitely be bringing my family down for the odd weekend break / longer holiday. The perfect hosts / hotel and location."

• Travel date: Wed 31st of March 2010

i loved the place.

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"i loved the place, i surfed the internet for ages before i decided on it. and it was the brightness of the bedrooms that did it for me."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of March 2010

Excellent hosts, great stylish decor and really good value

Reviewed Wed 5th of December 2012

"Have had a great stay. The breakfast was excellent and we loved the decor in the room and bathroom and throughout the public rooms. The owners greeted us with a cup of tea on arrival, and were extremely friendly and helpful. Everywhere was extremely clean, although we found the bed a bit hard. The B&B was a shortish walk from the beach (but uphill on the way back!!) where there is an excellent restaurant on the beach. So impressed we are going back and we are hiring the whole of the rooms for a family wedding party in summer."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of March 2010

1st class accomodation, very welcoming owners, and delious food.

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"My wife, myself & two friends, came to a funeral in Bournemouth. We found the owners very helpful and friendly, the rooms were immaculate, the service and food top quality.
If we had been there for a holiday the location would have been ideal, for the beach, and local shops."

• Travel date: Sun 28th of March 2010

B and B hardly does it justice

Reviewed Wed 20th of March 2013

"My family and I had the great pleasure of staying at Thanet House in January. There to celebrate a family birthday we had the delightful opportunity of "taking over" the entire property. The husband and wife team couldn't have been more accommodating ensuring that all concerned departed with fond memories. The property itself is beautifully decorated and with high celings, fireplaces and tasteful imagery throughout the notion of a seaside B and B hardly does it justice!"

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of February 2010

A warm welcome, good hospitality and hearty breakfast.

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"On arrival we were met with a very warm welcome from Anna, offering us tea or coffee and the atmosphere was very homely. Our room was with en-suite which had recently been refurbished with modern sanitaryware and flat scren TV. Cleanliness of the room and hotel could not be faulted, the heating in our room was excellent, although we felt it could have been warmer in the breakfast room (the freezing temperature and cold wind outside probably didn't help) this small minus though could not reduce the rating from five to four in our minds. We were looking for somewhere near Westbourne and the Thanet house is well located with only a few minutes walk with a good selection of small restaurants, it is also ideal should you be seeking out the beach or Alum Chine. Good hospitality from Andy and Anna, we would stay again without question.
We wonder if the person who rated this friendly Guest House with a one star, possibly made a mistake and did the review for another accomodation."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of December 2009

Welcoming

Reviewed Tue 16th of October 2012

"A friendly family run hotel which combines comfort and good service at a very affordable price. Anna and Andy, the proprietors, make every effort to make ones stay a happy one. As well as the standard provisions, they will try to meet any need. I forgot my toothbrush, and they provided a new one.
As well as tea/coffee/kettle/hairdryer each room has a flat screen TV/DVD player.
There is a comfortable guest lounge with TV and the use of a library of books and DVDs.
All you need for a happy and affordabel stay in a beautiful part of the country."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of November 2009

Brilliant, As usual.

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"Being a popular tourist attraction, Bournemouth offers a wide array of nice hotels to choose from. The first time I visited Bournemouth, it was the peak of the tourist season. Most of the hotels were booked to capacity. That's how we ended up at Thanet House, a bed and breakfast situated in Alum Chine. Well, it proved to be a blessing in disguise. What makes this 12 room B&B so special is its owners, Andy and Anna (and the lovely little Elizabeth). Possibly the most hospitable people you'll ever meet, they make sure that every guest feels at home. The décor is simple yet tasteful, courtesy Anna who also happens to be an interior designer. The beach is just a 5 minute walk through an absolutely stunning clearing covered by trees on all sides. Breakfast, which is included in the rent, is not worth skipping. Overall I love the place because it has a very warm feel to it. When in Bournemouth, there's no way I'd put up anywhere else."

• Travel date: Fri 13th of November 2009

Beware -- I booked for ensuite but didn't get it

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"It's the kind of place where you get treated not as a customer who has paid for a stated level of accommodation, but as an unfortunate obligation. It's not "monty python" (because it's not amusing) but it sure isn't "mi casa su casa" either. I booked and prepaid for a double en-suite, but I was stuck in a minute room which had no facilities other than a tiny plastic washbasin. Where do they find these lilliputian fixtures? The toilet and shower were across the hall. An indescribably gruesome-looking ancient towelling dressing robe was hung on the door of my room, as if to pretend that that would miraculously turn the distant facilities into an ensuite bathroom. The towels provided were thin and unpleasant to use -- whether because they're just too old and need to be replaced, or because they were too cheap to begin with, I'm not sure. Perhaps both. There's no lift, so although the landlady carried my bag upstairs, I had to carry it down the two flights of stairs the next morning. I would advise skipping the breakfast, which is not very good and is not served before 8:30 (might be fine on a Sunday morning but on Monday morning is really inconvenient). The sooner B&Bs like this go out of business, the better. Come on credit crunch, close them down!"

• Travel date: Wed 12th of August 2009

You can be sure of a warm welcome and excellent service at Thanet House

Reviewed Mon 3rd of December 2012

"We have just returned from a 5 night stay at this small hotel/guesthouse, and felt I had to say how highly recommendable we found it to be.

Thanet Hse is situated in the nice area of Westbourne which is a bit out of central Bournemouth, but only few minutes walk away from the sandy beach at Alum Chine. It is easy to get into town on the local buses and we did not use our car at all during our stay.

We received a lovely welcome from hosts Andy and Anna plus their lovely little daughter Elizabeth. After a chat and a cup of tea we were shown to our room, which was very comfortable with every facility you could wish for.

The breakfasts were superb with all the best produce used.

Nothing was too much trouble and we would not hesitate to recommend a stay here."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of July 2009