The Hermitage Hotel Bournemouth

Good

Very much in the Minority!

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"I booked this Hotel because of it's location - which I have to say is brilliant as it is right next to the Gardens and the Beach. Our rooms were newly refurbished and very clean and comfortable. - although one of the sea view rooms was very stuffy.

The real problem with the weekend was that almost all of the other guests were Freemasons (I think!) attending a big function.This meant that we couldnt book a meal in the hotel which I didn't think was acceptable. The restaurant manager said 'no' very politely but no amount of persuading was going to get us a table during our stay! This was difficult as although the location was good for beach etc there isn't much around in terms of decent restaurants. As I was with my elderly mother who is not very mobile this proved something of a problem.

So a nice hotel but at weekends you may find you are very outnumbered!"

• Travel date: Sat 1st of September 2007

Great Hotel with excellent location

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"I have just returned from a weeks stay at the Hermitage with my husband and baby son and we were very impressed with the hotel, its surroundings and the friendly and efficient staff. After reading the previous bad review about the hotel we were a little apprehensive about what would await us, however the hotel was clean, welcoming and friendly. Our room was a large family room in an annexe next to the main building – the room had good décor, was comfortable and clean and tidy , we had no complaints, the only minor point was having to walk through the dining room to reach our room – this seemed a little odd!

Overall I would recommend the Hermitage as a well situated hotel with a welcoming atmosphere and staff who really take care of you – we would definitely revisit."

• Travel date: Sat 23rd of June 2007

Disappointing

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I recommended this hotel to my husband who was attending a conference in Bournemouth. He booked it based upon positive reviews from Tripadvisor.

Sadly the hotel did not live up to expectation, the breakfast was very poor and cheap ingredients were used. The room and it's provision were average. The only benefit of this hotel was it's proximity to The Conference Centre, so if you spend most of your time there, then this hotel provides a good bolthole."

• Travel date: Sat 16th of June 2007

Oh Dear, oh dear, oh dear

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"We had the misfortune to stay at this fifth class place last night. My wife and I were in Bournemouth for an annual dinner and our limited choice offered us this place or the lower rated Royal Exeter. So we chose the Hermitage in a sea view room. Our view was of England's finest yoof at noisy play. And sea. Hmmm. To say that the room, on the fourth floor had no room to swing a cat, would be an insult to cats. Make that mice. We are probably spoiled by staying, at our choice, at some of the finest hotels in the world - members of Small Luxury Hotels, Leading Hotels of the World and Small Leading Hotels of the World etc., etc.. So we are possibly not the right people to comment on this truly dreadful place. Air conditioning in the tiny top floor room - forget it! Try getting changed for a black tie dinner drenched in sweat. A cheap room safe for your valuables - don't be silly! Stick them in the car. A bedspread covered - smothered - in disgusting stains set the tone for a truly awful experience. The staff were helpful and seemed embarrassed, which was fair enough, although they did serve us drinks until late. I can't comment on breakfast because, when we called down at 10 a.m. to say that we'd be five minutes or so, we were told we were too late for a meal for which we had paid. My brother was cleverer than me. He bribed the restaurant manager with a few quid and got served. Clever him - stupid me! We had to buy a breakfast at another hotel round the corner. Ludicrous! The Hermitage offered us a packed lunch, but, since we had booked lunch at Chewton Glen, one of the best hotels in the world, this was a resistable offer! Chewton Glen, by the way, was perfect in every way and restored my faith in life. But if you're ever thinking of going to the Hermitage, unless you expect very little (in which case, you'll get what you expected) just don't. Don't even think about it. Life is too short."

• Travel date: Sat 9th of June 2007

Ladies Festival, 9th – 11th March 2007

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"We have just returned from our Ladies Festival weekend at the Hermitage Hotel in Bournemouth. 70 guests attended this function and all enjoyed themselves.

The hotel staff are very friendly, supportive, professional, accommodating and flexible; nothing was too much trouble. These are very important qualities when trying to organise a large event.

The Hertmitage Hotel is ideally situated in Bournemouth, a minute to the beach and 5 minutes to the town centre. The hotel is modern, clean and well maintained.

I would highly recommend this hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of March 2007

I'd recommend staying here

Reviewed Tue 9th of October 2012

"Stayed at the hotel whilst on business. I'm a 30 year old Londoner who likes her hotels and was pleasantly surprised by how nice this hotel is. I think I had one of the larger bedrooms with no sea view. The room was comfortable and modern with good decor. It had a hairdryer and very easy-to-use iron in the room which was handy. The breakfast was very good in terms of quality of food and choice and setting. I'd recommend staying here."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of December 2006

Excellent hotel

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"We stayed for one night and were very impressed by the cleanliness, the attention of the staff and the breakfast. The hotel is ideally situated for the BIC, the seafront and going into town. We would definitely stay here again."

• Travel date: Wed 11th of October 2006

Fabulouis Hotel

Reviewed Sat 1st of December 2012

"Fantastic independent hotel with great location.

We stayed for the weekend and were made to feel very welcome.

Breakfast was lovely and all staff were very friendly.

Rooms were spotless and bar and restaurant were very luxurious, better than a lot of other hotels with 3 stars.

If there was anything bad to say it would be that there was a wedding party downstairs and there was quite a bit of noise (didnt go on too late though) and the bar stopped serving food in the day also because of the wedding."

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of October 2006

Good location

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"I stayed here for three nights in June as I was attending a conference in the BIC. From this point of view alone, this is the ideal place to stay as it's virtually directly across the road. In fact, it's the ideal position for most things - beach across the road, park next to it and a very short walk to the town centre shops.
The hotel is clean, welcoming and friendly. The lounges are comfortable but the area immediately next to the bar is a little souless. Breakfasts were tasty and nicely presented and the staff were very courteous, friendly and efficient.
Room 613 was large and nicely appointed and situated in an annexe to the main building with views to the side and the car park. Bathroom facilities are good and the bed comfortable. On two consecutive mornings the maid knocked on my door before 7.00am - perhaps she thought I'd asked for an early call!!
My only criticism of my stay would be that I never felt that I was part of the hotel proper. To get to my room I had to walk through an area where banqueting tables, table linen, chair stacks and dirty crockery were kept therefore always felt that I was out on a limb. This will not, however, prevent me from staying here again although I will insist in advance the next time that I am told where in the hotel my room is to be."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of August 2006