Brilliant Holiday at Cumberland Hotel

Reviewed 11 months ago

"Great location in Bournemouth, wonderful sea views and excellent service from all staff. We had a lovely, large sea view room which was very comfortable with lots of storage space although it would benefit from a new lick of paint.
The meals were excellent and the friendly restaurant staff could not do enough to make our stay so enjoyable. We had booked for a week but were enjoying our time so much we stayed for another week, thanks to the great organisation from the managers. We cannot wait to return - Paul and Margaret from Bristol. March 2017."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of May 2017

Terrible

Reviewed Thu 18th of August 2016

"After reading up on the hotel and finding out they are dog friendly (it says this in every piece of advertising) I decided to book a room. I called in to confirm and was told they only accept Chihuahua dogs less than 3lbs. Seriously. I have a service trained medium sized dog and was told this doesn't matter from the very unhelpful rude receptionist. Great job people. Awful. "

• Travel date: Wed 17th of August 2016

Avoid the Cumberland

Reviewed Mon 12th of January 2009

"The staff were mostly very friendly and helpful. The two rooms we tried were adequate, but both showers were difficult to control, and the walls and floors were so thin that we were woken in the early hours by other guests on both nights. The advertised and anticipated pool and sauna were "booked by a group" for the whole weekend, for which we weren offered no apology, let alone any kind of recompense. Definitely overpriced; we won't be staying again, especially given the huge number of alternative hotels in Bournemouth.

• Travel date: Mon 12th of January 2009

2-3 star hotel not a 4 star

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"I think this would be a good conference venue, but I wouldn't recommend it for a weekend away.

Problems that have promoted me to write this review:
(1) We arrived while the venue was being used for a wedding reception so with the limited parking there was no chance of getting a park. Instead the reception staff suggested we park at the pay carparks on the road with no reimbursement & little interest from Reception.

(2) Despite having booked a double room, we were informed that the room was still made up as a twin & we'd have to wait to get it made up as a double.

(3) We weren't too worried that we could hear the wedding DJ as it was initially rather muted . However the band started up at 10 pm & when I rang reception at around 11.30 to find out when they were finishing up there was no answer. The band's second set started about midnight & due to there not being any clocks in the room I can't say what time they finished but I think it was around 1am.

(4) We'd paid for a buffet breakfast - but this didn't start until 8am. As we wanted to head off before this time reception had said they could provide a continental breakfast via room service from 7am. This turned up 20 mins late. Combined with a cold shower (the hot water came through about 10 mins after turning the tap on full) this wasn't a great start to the day.

(5) Other negatives - a very spartan room with furnishings more what I would associate with a 2 or 3 star hotel - certainly not what we were expecting from a 4star hotel with 4 star prices.

Positives - a lovely pool area & I'd recommend the band"

• Travel date: Mon 17th of September 2007

Terrible

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"Avoid this hotel like the plague...

On arriving at the hotel we were informed that we must have made a mistake with our booking as we did not have a room, despite having booked the hotel through the Cumberland's website two days previously. They then claimed that we must have booked their sister hotel, the Suncliffe, 'by mistake'. Eventually after speaking to two receptionists and the manager they admitted the fault was on their part for overbooking the Cumberland.

This is simply not acceptable treatment and is misrepresentation on their part showing a flagrant disregard for our rights as customers.

The Suncliffe Hotel which we had been moved to is a smelly dog-eared hotel and the room had about a foot of spare space around the bed. However, they still wanted us to pay the £160 we had agreed to pay to be in the Cumberland Hotel.

On complaining they eventually gave us a measly £30 reduction because they knew that all the other hotels in Bournemouth were fully booked as it was bank holiday weekend.

Again this shows a general attitude of putting maximising their own profits over any thoughts of providing an acceptable service to paying customers. Having rung around other hotels in Bournemouth we realised there simply were no other rooms available.

Fortunately we then came up with the brainwave of taking the overnight ferry to France (we were due to take an early morning ferry the following morning anway) from Poole. It was great to be able to walk out the hotel without having to hand over any cash to such a terrible hotel"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of September 2007

Great Family Holiday

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"We recently stayed at the Cumberland for a weeks family holiday, with our 2 daughters aged 8 & 13. We were given a family room with a balcony and full sea & pool view. The room was spacious and clean with plenty of wardrobe space and recently renovated bathroom. We were very pleased with the fact that the kids had proper beds to sleep in and not the usual camp beds that we have had in other hotels. Downstairs the recent refurbishment is fantastic and the bar and lounge areas have big comfy sofas to relax in after the gorgeous evening meal. Breakfast was plentiful and varied, evening meal had plenty of choices with lots of fresh fish and all food was piping hot. The kids could either choose off the kids or adult menu and they catered for their needs if they wanted a meal without the sauce etc. There is a nice pool area and you can use the indoor pool and gym in the hotel next door and go there in the evening for the entertainment. If you go in the school summer hols watch out for the amazing fireworks on friday nights at 10 o'clock, the best we've seen. The only downside to the hotel is the parking which is limited but there is roadside parking right outside for £3 a day and alot of spaces came available during the day so you can move your car. All the staff are very friendly and helpful and we would definitely go back again next year."

• Travel date: Fri 31st of August 2007

Perfect ArtDeco Hotel with the best Pool Lido in Bournemouth

Reviewed Tue 18th of December 2012

"Lobby/Lounge
The most stunning Art Deco/Modern furnishings we have seen. Very roomy, comfortable and clean as well.

Room
Spacious/Clean and great storage

Room Service
Amazingly fast and efficient. We were very impressed.

Breakfast
Great variety of food and all fresh.

Diner
After being seating the gorgeous Red Door room we were treated to attentive service by all your staff. Our meal was perfect and the evening great.

Bar
Well this was the only real disappoint. The staff simply could not prepare the simplest cocktail properly. Even when ordered off the menu they were not correctly made. After sending back 2 drinks I gave up and just ordered wine. Perhaps the hotel needs to hire a properly trained bartender.

Pool Bar/Food
Service was very erratic, at times there were too much staff and others not enough. All were pleasant but their English was poor and when I asked for Cranberry Juice or a Jug of ice water they were not able to understand me at all.

Sunday Lunch
We were once again impressed by the level of service and excellent food quality. As well a great value.
."

• Travel date: Wed 29th of August 2007

Stylish, art deco hotel!

Reviewed Sun 9th of December 2012

"I was treated to a surprise visit to Bournemouth to celebrate my birthday, so had no idea what to expect. Was pleasantly surprised on arrival by a very nice looking hotel. The ground floor is amazing, all recently refurbished in an art deco style, the lounge bar is especially well done, and we loved having a drink or two there - drinks were a good price too, no more expensive that drinking in an upmarket pub. The lido area by the pool would be a really lovely place to spend a sunny day (if only the weather could match up to it!) . The front desk staff were good, the breakfast decent and the location is superb, just a few minutes walk from the centre of town (though if you are unfit, getting back might be hard work - it's a steep hill!).

On the downside, the rooms haven't been refurbed for some time, but ours was still in generally good condition, was roomy and we had a partial sea view. The staff at breakfast were a miserable bunch generally and the chap who seemed to be in charge was somewhat unhelpful: We arrived for breakfast on the first morning and asked for a table near the window and were told they were "reserved for residents" and he then turned his back on me! I lost subtlety for a moment and made a bit of a fuss, and he mysteriously found a table for us! Also, the car park isn't big enough really - it was full when we arrived, which we solved by parking in the parking area behind the hotel next door (which is owned by the same company) which didn't cause us any problems. Road parking is controlled so if you have to park on the road, make sure you move it in the morning or you will get ticketed.

None of the above were major problems, and I would certainly recommend the Cumberland - it seems to be a cut above most of the local hotels - the Cliffside next door definitely looks a little tired in comparison! Had the breakfast staff been friendlier, I would have given this the full five points!"

• Travel date: Fri 17th of August 2007

The downstairs communal areas looked gre...

Reviewed Sat 11th of August 2007

"The downstairs communal areas looked great but my twin bed room on the first floor was awful, the view looked into the back of other rooms in the hotel so the only way you could see what the weather was doing was to look up at the remaining 3 floors to see the shadows made by the sun.

When opening the wardrobe we were greeted with a horrid smell of vomit, I complained twice about this but nothing was done. The 2 very old armchairs in our room were filthy with deeply ingrained grease and dirt the same as the bed bases, to their credit the headboards looked new. Overall the room was incredibly tatty and in urgent need of redecoration and the corridor outside the room always smelt of stale food."

• Travel date: Sat 11th of August 2007

Amazing staff

Reviewed Sat 13th of October 2012

"Hotel looked fab on the website and we got a great deal via Expedia.
Had booked my parents and their friends in for 4 nights - made a request for sea views as they were celebrating wedding anniversaries, however did not get these - but appreciate that it was a reasonably busy time of year for them.
Refurbishment very visible downstairs - looked amazing - unfortunately the rooms were not of the same quality (respectable and clean, just not very art deco) - but there are signs up around the hotel saying that the refurb is not yet complete - it will be a highly recommended hotel once it is!!!

The truely special thing about this hotel is the staff - they looked after my parents well and made sure that they had an enjoyable and comfortable stay (English is not my parents first language and they were slightly nervous before their stay). It really made my parents stay a special one - a shame that many 4/5 star hotels can't manage the same level of service!"

• Travel date: Mon 9th of July 2007

Good Times at the Cumberland

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"A friend and I were travelling through England and happened upon the Cumberland... WOW! Great rates, fabulous room (we had seaside view with balcony). The vintage lounge was really cool and provided a different surrounding from the typical hotel. Our room was spacious/comfortable and the staff was accommodating. My only caution is when you are told the bar is 24 hours... it means the lounge closes at midnight but the front desk has a stash of select liquers and beer behind the counter. No woories though because sipping Bailey on our deck with that amazing view was unbeatable."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of May 2007

I loved it and got it at a great price!!!

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"I booked this hotel through Lastminute's mystery hotel and was very pleasantly surprised!!! We had a spacious hotel room overlooking the sea with a balcony. Breakfast was very good. Dinner was ok. The bar was fantastic and beautifully decorated. The staff were excellent and very accomodating. We had to park out on road but this wasn't a problem and it was very cheap. The rooms are under going refurbishment from what I understand and our room was fine but you could hear the people walking round above us. That said, I loved the feel of this 1920s hotel and plan to go back!"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of May 2007

Hotels near The Cumberland Hotel

Stayed at The Cumberland Hotel? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for The Cumberland Hotel

• Jakers by Jakers

"Enjoy the friendly staff and the excellent service they give. "

The Cumberland Hotel is also called