THE BEST

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"We wanted a nice hotel to stay at for a a extended weekend away,what we got was a hotel that gives you excellent service,superb room accomodation,and a breakfast that could keep you going all day. We would not hesitate in recommending this hotel to anyone who feels the need to be well looked after"

• Travel date: 16th August 2008

Wonderful huge rooms

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"We often stay in Bournemouth when seeing my parents nearby , and this is always our favourite B&B. They have enormous Georgian style rooms and monumental and comfortable beds. The gardens were just beautiful too, and everything is immaculately clean and well presented. The full english breakfast is good quality and the owners are efficient and friendly. The bathrooms are fairly small, but perfectly clean and the walk down the slopes to the beautiful beaches between Boscombe and Bournemouth takes about 15 mins. I embarrassingly thought I'd already paid when we left last time, but the owner didn't make me feel silly at all for getting it wrong! We paid £90 for a double room for a weekend night and it was well worth it."

• Travel date: 6th August 2008

Keep Coming Back

Reviewed 24th December 2012

"This was the second time we've stayed at The Balincourt - 4 nights this year in mid June; 4 nights in 2006 also in mid June. Friends & family have returned to this hotel every June for the last 3 or 4 years. The service is very personal; rooms are spotlessly clean; beds very comfy; breakfast delicious. The bathrooms are tiny 'cupboards' though, and the water presure in the showers is almost non-existant. Some rooms are more spacious and luxurious than others. When booking it definitely pays to ask what is available and book one of the larger rooms! We also like the fact that there is sufficient free parking; a great pub across the road; walking distance to Boscombe Pier, town centre, and the football stadium. There is a fantastic Chinese restaurant a 5min walk in one direction; and a fab Indian restaurant 5 mins in the other direction."

• Travel date: 1st July 2008

One night stand!

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"To say I am fussy is somewhat of an understatement and I always get a bit stressed when I need to book a hotel, so when we arrived at our hotel, I was very pleasantly surprised. The owner greeted us at the door and was neither complacent or gushing and helped us up to our room with one of our bags (we only had one each)! The hotel was very clean throughout the communal areas and we were shown to room 4 at the front of the hotel and it was very bright and airy and meticulously clean. In fact the bathroom was so spotless it almost could be taken for new. There was a tray of teas and coffees available a small tv with a video (we didnt try it). The room was large enough for the bed (2 twins zipped together, if I give into grumpy old women that was my only gripe) and a nice 2 seater sofa and room to get round. We only stayed one night and the cooked breakfast in the morning was lovely and hot and very tasty with a welcome pot of tea and coffee. Thank you very much for the lovely but unfortunately short stay. Would definitely book again - soon!!"

• Travel date: 25th April 2008

Single room

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"I stayed in a single room in this hotel. The room was very clean and the bed was really comfy. One thing that was a bit strange was that the shower was in the bedroom at the foot of the bed and the toilet was in a room the size of a cupboard! Other than that the bedroom was quite spacious and the people who own the hotel were really friendly and cooked delicious English cooked breakfasts which were lovely. I would definately stay here again although I think I'd probably pay a bit more and stay in a double bedroom."

• Travel date: 7th August 2007

Great place to stay

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"I stayed Monday to Friday for four weeks as I was working down here. Its a peaceful part of the town and easy access to the centre where I worked. The rooms were gorgerous (and I stayed in several), food well cooked and tasty and the owners are a geanuinely nice couple who will look after you well. I would, and, have recommended it to others and will definitely book again."

• Travel date: 18th July 2007

Lovely Stay

Reviewed 13th October 2012

"Just to say a big 'Thank You' for looking after us so well last week. Everything was perfect and you can't say that very often these days. When we come back to Bournemouth on holiday again we will certainly come back. I have already recommended you to others and have already passed your contact details on. Thank you once again. Sue and Tony Brittain"

• Travel date: 18th July 2007

Nice, no complaints

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"First the good points: This B&B is meticulously clean, nicely landscaped, expertly run, organized, and nicely appointed in the common areas. Surely, Europeans will find everything well in order in this B&B. It's reasonably close to the beach (probably a brisk ten minute walk), reasonably close to shopping, reasonably close to the train station (which is a shorter walk than taxi ride, for some reason), reasonably close to the ASDA (this is the British equivalent of a supermarket with a mini-Target attached). Furthermore, as one looks at the other thousands of B&B's in this town, it is obvious immediately that this one is certainly a cut above the others. Breakfast is nice, but not outstanding, and is served a little late for my tastes (after 8:15). There is an optional evening meal at additional cost; I did not try it. Across the street is a pub with nice (but pricey) food and drink. And now the caveats: The rooms are quite small. Our party had about four or five of the rooms, and no room that we saw was above 120 square feet or so, one of the singles was surely no more than 75 square feet. The water is piped through the house with what looked to be quarter-inch pipe, which is way too small for American tastes, resulting in extremely (very annoyingly) low water pressure for showers. But of course, it is a B&B, not a luxury hotel. Americans/Canadians desirous of the space provided by even the smallest rooms in American hotels will be sorely disappointed. This is, I am sure, typical in European B&B's, and thus isn't really a strike against this one. Another plumbing note: I don't know if this is typical in Europe, but the water comes out of the hot water taps more or less at boiling temperature, literally, once it gets up to speed. Apparently, you can't sue in Britain for getting scalded by a hotel's water. The one thing which is humorous about this place is that if you've ever seen "European Vacation" with Chevy Chase, there is a scene where the children switch on the television in their English hotel and become increasingly agitated as they discover the only channels they get are the four government stations with totally irrelevant/uninteresting programs. It is *EXACTLY* like that here; I had to laugh hysterically as I discovered that I got channels 1-4, and that channel 5-8 was just channels 1-4 repeated, etc. ..etc..I found it absolutely hilarious as I repeated the very same actions that "Rusty" did in the movie with precisely the same results and with the same reaction. I think this is probably unusual; I imagine most hotels and B&Bs have modern television service. I have no idea why this place should be different, but it is. I do count the 1960s era television service against this hotel; it would be such a small thing to update it. Room came equipped with a bone china pair of cups/saucers with a large selection of teas, coffee (alas, instant coffee), biscuits, and so forth, along with a hot water electric pot (which, at the European voltage, boiled a quart of water in 20 seconds flat as it dimmed the lights). This supply was in fact replenished daily by the incongruous young graduate-student-looking Asian housekeepers. This was nice. There was no A/C, definitely not in the guest rooms, nor, that I noticed, in the common areas (though I could be mistaken about the latter). It got hot enough in our top floor room to be slightly annoying at times. Overall though, this B&B would suit B&B afficionados quite well I am sure, and the American tourist, if he can suspend his almost instinctual reflex for certain silly amenities, will be easily satisfied by the accomodations here. Any guest will surely appreciate the charm and meticulous maintenance of the exterior and interior. Plastered all over the place are what look very much like prestigious awards for this-or-that in the B&B industry. And you pay for it. Our three night stay set us back 240 pounds (about 440 US$) for two people, which seems to me to be a lot."

• Travel date: 17th July 2006

Fantastic little stay away

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"I stayed in February 2003 for valentine’s weekend. This hotel is so close to all amenities Bournemouth has to offer. Bournemouth is such a lovely place to visit, it has it all, shopping, nightlife, Bingo, coffee lounges, cinemas, and you name it Bournemouth most probably has it. The hotel is such a little beauty, the rooms are all different and cosy and homely I did not want to get up in the morning. The breakfast was so tasty and cooked to perfection I am surprised that no one else has reviewed this hotel as it is such a pretty little place in the perfect location, 10 minutes from town. The hotel owners are very friendly! I would visit this hotel again."

• Travel date: 19th September 2005