Wonderful Christmas 2010

Reviewed Tue 4th of January 2011

"We were treated to Langtry Manor for three days over Christmas. From entering the reception to leaving we three cannot speak too highly of this individual special hotel,At reception smiles and warm welcome greeted us. Nothing was too much trouble for any member of staff.
The food was excellent, and we found sharing a table very quickly became sharing with friends, The programme providedby by mine hosts, [you are free to choose to take part or do your own thing]. made for a real English Christmas.what a remakable pair Tara and Miles are
they worked hard but never lost their sparkle and added so much to our time there. Our room in The Lodge was superb, a comfortable four poster a jucuzzi bath and such tasteful decor was an additional luxury, The history and ambiance add to the attraction of Langtry Manor. As we came away several were already booking for next year ! So those who want a special treat you cant go wrong Its memorable Sheila and Colin Ashe and Audrey Manelis

• Travel date: Sat 1st of January 2011

Perfect for an intimate stay

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"I was a bit sceptical about booking a room in the Lodge as a few reviews did not say that many good things about it but The Salisbury Suite my wife and I stayed in was perfect for a quiet, intimate stay. The short walk to the main building was not a problem at all. The Breakfast was OK but could have been a bit hotter. We would definately come back again"

• Travel date: Fri 9th of May 2008

Edwardian Banquet highlight

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Stayed here last weekend. Sarah Bernhardt Room. Light airy room with a wonderfully large comfortable bed. Well furnished with large modern TV. Only let down by the very small ensuite.
Super friendly, attentive staff from arrival to departure. Highlight of the stay was the semi formal Edwardian banquet on the Saturday night. This is a must not miss event. 6 delightful courses, well paced with one of the owners, in full period dress, providing an atmospheric soliloquy on the life of Lillie.
Excellent choice for a special occasion or a relaxing short break."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of April 2008

Deep disappointment deep pockets required

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"My wife and I fell for the heavily pushed past Royal connection to this hotel, the description being that of luxury, style and service.
Having paid £177.00 for one nights accommodation in a so called luxury room sporting a four poster bed and a jacuzzi.
We were deeply disapointed when we discovered that beneath the valance sheet, lay nothing more than two old divan bases stacked on top of each other, covered with disgusting stains, full of tears and rips.
The bathroom floor consisted of a laminate type floor tile which had started to rot from water spillage (pretty obvious in a bathroom) so we did not feel comfortable bare foot in the bathroom!
Furniture in the room was sparce, the decor uninspiring and the carpet was dirty, the room felt uninviting and was certainly not fit for a king!
We felt utterly let down because we have stayed in many Bournemouth hotels, most had impeccable standards, which this hotel obviously lacks.
The standards of this hotel do not stand up to the promisses made, we feel that because it is a family owned hotel, the place seems to be run without full knowledge of how a top class hotel should run.
This hotel is run more like a bed and breakfast establishment, I'm afraid the hype about Mrs Langtry and Edward did little for us, we went there expecting top quality and class, we received neither.
The situation was made that little bit worse by the unprofessional manner of the receptionist, the arrogance of one of the porters, and the whole sense of false snobbery whafting about the place.
Breakfast on the other hand was perfect....if you don't mind walking through the rain across the road to the Langtry Manor from the Langtry Lodge...were we stayed but were never told!"

• Travel date: Wed 23rd of April 2008

this hotel gets better and better

Reviewed Sat 8th of December 2012

"Last year in December, my husband and I stayed at this hotel on a business trip. We stayed in the King Edward V11 suite which we found magnificent, although the bathroom let it down slightly. It was particularly homely in the winter with a roaring fire and its own christmas tree. We found the staff helpful and friendly and the restaurant an enjoyable dining experience. On our return visit this month, we found a new state of the art bathroom in this suite, with a rain forest shower, a double jacuzzi and a television set in the wall at the end of the bath. Luckily the standard of service hasn't changed and is still exemplary. This hotel just gets better and better"

• Travel date: Sun 13th of April 2008

Fantastic

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"Stayed on the 18th for the murder mystery weekend in the langtry suite. Wasnt sure about the room at first but realised that it was more someones bedroom than a commom and garden hotel room, Only downsize was the bed in the room I`m used to a bigger bed but hey if thats my only gripe then that ain`t bad.
As for the murder mystery and the food I can`t remember when we laughed so much and ate such lovely food. We chose the goats cheese as a starter which I wasn`t keen on ( my problem not theirs ) , I was offered an alternative by the staff without prompting . The 6 course on the saturday was again excellent. Breakfast was fresh and tasty , Could carry on blowing this hotels trumpet but I think I`ve said enough. Tried to book for the following year on our return just waiting on dates being set."

• Travel date: Sun 6th of April 2008

great weekend

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We booked the weekend package 28/3/08 to 30/3/08 & stayed in the Alexandra suite - a lovely room at the top of the house with it's own private staircase which meant no noise in either direction ;)

There were 2 flatscreen plasma TV's on the wall - 1 overlooking the bed & 1 overlooking the jacuzzi which is at the other end of the bedroom itself. TV reception wasn't brilliant and we lost the freeview channels for a while but we didn't go there to watch TV anyway :)

From the virtual tour on the website we thought the jacuzzi may be too small for 2 but it was fine !

The only minor niggles apart from the TV reception were the mattress was very hard which killed my dodgy back & even though we put out the do not disturb cuddly toy (instead of a sign) the maid still knocked on the door to try and change the sheets etc. & looked a bit surprised when I told her to go away.

The Friday night meal was excellent (I had venison) with the room and tables being candlelit and piped classical music adding to the ambience as well as the staff in Edwardian dress. The breakfast was good (continental & full english). The 6 course Edwardian banquet Saturday night was also good with 6 guests per table (good for getting to know your fellow guests but not so good if you just wanted to spend time together). The waiting staff did get a bit confused at times and brought out the wrong items to various people and missed me completely at one point (it may have been due to the fact that most of the staff didn't speak very good english or that they were trying to serve everyone at once). Overall the staff were extremely attentive though.

The decor of the house itself had the authentic look which some might consider to be a bit shabby and worn in places but others would say added to the general ambience. The main dining room could probably do with a paint job and restoration of the tapestries on the wall which had all dirtied or faded into one colour so you couldn't actually see the scenes portrayed and some of the threads were hanging loose.

The beach was a 7 minute walk away and there was some noise from the street at night with drunkards shouting etc. but that was no fault of the hotel.

Overall it was a great weekend to get away, stuff ourselves silly and just stay somewhere a bit different with great ambience and little luxuries like champagne, jacuzzi's & staff pretending to be from a different era. Possibly a bit pricey for some but we will return."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of April 2008

Excellent for a special occasion

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"As a special reat for my birthday my husband and I stayed for one night at The Langtry Manor Hotel.

We were booked to stay in a jacuzzi & 4 poster bed room in the Lodge, however upon arrival, we were informed that we had been given a free upgrade and were being put in The Lillie Langtry Room in the Manor itself.

This of course was the icing on the birthday cake so to say. The Liilie Langtry room was perfect. It had a beautiful heart shaped jacuzzi in the corner of the room and a lovely wooden 4 poster. Doors led out to a balcony overlooking a very nice garden.

All the little special extras make this hotel worth a visit.

On the bed was a red rose and chocolates, and the fluffiest bath robes we've ever worn. The jacuzzi bath was definately a hit.

After spending a day in Bournemouth we returned to the hotel for dinner in the Langtry Restaurant. It was £32.00 per head for a three course meal. The food was really tasty and the waiting staff very friendly.

Whilst waiting for the desert, they brought out a plate with a meruigne swan filled with cream with a sparkler in it and a scroll wishing me a happy birthday.

Breakfast was very nice too, we both had the full english and was able to help ourselves to the continental breakfast table also.

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel, all the little extra special touches the hotel provide and the friendlness of the staff really make this a very lovely hotel to stay at for that special occasion."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of March 2008

Great Food, Great Staff, Great Place

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"We wanted to go somewhere special for our wedding anniversary and found Langtry Manor on the Internet. We stayed in one of their newly refurbished Luxury rooms with all the mod cons like flat screen TV, I-pod docking station and wireless internet. The room was beautiful and we were offered a free drink on arrival and had a flower and chocolates waiting for us in the room on arrival. I'm not sure if it was because we were celebrating.

The staff were so friendly and they remembered our Anniversary in the evening with a special dessert and scroll. The Restaurant was stunning - you wouldn't expect something quite as impressive as the builiding looks desceptively small from the front.

I was very thankful that it was non-smoking everywhere in the hotel. I would definately love to go back for my next anniversary. Hopefully my husband will read this and get the hint!"

• Travel date: Sat 15th of September 2007

lovely place for a weekend break.

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Spent our 20th wedding Anniversary at the Langtry Manor, took advantage of one of the special weekend offers, but having read other reviews paid an extra £40 for a room in the manor. We stayed in the Jersey Lillie, a pretty room at the top of he Manor, not overly large but perfectly adequate, comfy bed and lovely Jacuzzi bath in ensuite bathroom.
All Staff were efficient and friendly, and the extra touches (chocolates and rose on the bed, a congratulations scroll and an extra special complementary desert on the Sat. night made our celebration memorable.
The fine dining cuisine on Fri night was divine, there is a wide choice for breakfast, and the Saturday night Edwardian experience was thoroughly enjoyable (although food not quite up to Fri night standard.)"

• Travel date: Sun 9th of September 2007

very comfortable friendly & historic hotel

Reviewed Sat 17th of November 2012

"Just got back from short break at Langtrys. Had a upstairs room (Ascot) in the Lodge which is across the road from the manor. We had a jucuzzi bathroom and a 4 poster bed, the room was very pretty, light & airy with large bay window & all the decor matching. Had one evening meal in restaurant where staff were very accommodating with a house menu if you didn't want the full 3 course menu. It was well worth it to sit in the lovely dining room with beautiful stained glass windows.
The staff we encountered were all very helpful, friendly & polite. Overall I think it would've been nicer to have a room in the Manor itself but on the plus side i thought maybe the Lodge would be quieter...how wrong I was, although this isn't any slight on the hotel. There seems to be a lot of seagulls nesting on the roof of the Lodge and the noise even through the night was horrendous with their constant squarking so did not get a good rest as intended despite the comfortable room. Also the second morning had a very inconsiderate family in the lodge with a young child who decided to shout his head off from 5.30a.m. Don't really think this hotel is suitable for families, its more of a beautiful historic retreat for romantic couples."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of August 2007