Hotel Collingwood

11 Priory Road, Bournemouth BH2 5DF England

Can't fault the Collingwood

"My husband and I booked to stay at the hotel for 5 days.
Unfortunately my husband was hospitalised from the hotel after suffering a stroke at the end of the 2nd day.
I had to extend my stay at the hotel for 3 days longer than originally booked, but I was well looked after by the hotel staff and management.
The room was clean and tastefully furnished.
The food was great, perhaps too good for the waistline, with plenty of choice at dinner."

• Travel date: Sun 13th of July 2008

A great place for the over 65' !

Good

"I booked this mostly on reading the reviews from this website. Firstly, like most of Bournemouth the age group was 65+, I was with a young family.

Our room was clean but was rather small for 4 people, I have heard you want the 3rd floor. Well decorated and if it had just been me and the Mrs would have been great.

The restaraunt food was very good quality and had no complaints at all. Lots of choice and a 4 course evening meal. The only thing I would say was bad for us is that the meals start at 18:30 and with two young kids this is too late for them to eat.

Great lesiure facilities with a good pool (very quiet - but that suited).

One other issue again this is a UK issue is 90% of the staff are foreign and this bugs me. Most of their English was good but felty some of them did not really care.

All in all apart from a few minor issues a very nice hotel.

P.S Near to the town and beach apart from the fact you have to walk up a hill!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 7th of July 2008

Cant see it myself !

"Good reviews on Trip Adviser led us to book this hotel for a short bank holiday weekend break. 20 mins at unattended reception followed by a harassed 'I've been sorting out a problem upstairs' was an unfortunate first impression.
Room was made available to us early but carpet was covered in hair and despite a request for recleaning still left a lot to be desired. Room was ok, light and airy but bathroom dated with old fashioned shower and some unsavoury stains.
Swimming pool / jacuzzi basic and the steam room / sauna were operated on a timer switch so if noone else had used them then cold and had to wait for them to reach operating temperature! The changing rooms were just not to the standard you would expect of a hotel in this price bracket - more akin to a school facility with no lockers / poor showers etc.!
Restaurant was biggest disappointment. Tables too near each other and we felt uncomfortable in private conversation. The food was very plain and presentation poor although the staff very efficient and friendly enough. Small things like putting milk in coffee rather than separate and breakfast served plated rather than buffet choice can differentiate competition.
Have to say the owner was very helpful and friendly and the decor was mostly fresh and tasteful.
Overall impression was they were struggling to cope with the bank holiday weekend. I got an immediate discount when I mentioned trip adviser !
We have stayed at a number of hotels in and around Bournemouth ( e.g Durley Spa / Balmer Lawn) and unfortunately this one just doesn't justify a return in preference to some others."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of June 2008

Excellent in every way

"We have stayed here about 3 years ago and are very wary of returning to the same hotel in case it doesnt live up to our previous experience! Once again the hotel was excellent in every way.
We stayed for 3 nights half board and paid £40 pppn. We had a lovely freshly cooked breakfast with lots of choices and a 5 course dinner with as many choices as breakfast again. The staff in the restaurant were very polite and we were served well every meal time. Nothing was too much trouble.Our room was clean , very spacious with a double and single bed in the room(we only booked a double)and the heating was on which was nice at this time of the year.The room had all the normal tea/coffee etc.There is an indoor pool/sauna complex plus a games room etc.There was also entertainment in the evenings which sounded ok but we did not actually stay to join in. This hotel is well worth a visit, especially when they have bargain offers on. The hotel has a large car park, it is about 5 mins from the town and 2 mins from the beach. Excellent value for money."

• Travel date: Sat 8th of December 2007

Great Hotel

"We stayed at the Collingwood for a week in July. The hotel is very close to the pier, beach, gardens and town. We stayed on a half board basis and the meals were fantastic. The dinner was a starter, soup, main course, desert and tea/coffee.
The pool was good, the sauna and steam room took a little while to get heated up but were good. There was also a small gym with cycle, cross trainer, rower and free weights.
The staff were very nice at all times and gave us breakfast early on the morning we were checking out.
We had a really nice lunch in Ciao in Old Christchurch Road where all main courses were £5.50, there was a really nice Mexican - Coriander on Richmond Hill and the Red Panda Chinese restaurant at the Pier where the lunch deal was £8.50 including a glass of wine."

• Travel date: Sat 28th of July 2007

Hotel Collingwood a gem

"We stayed at the Hotel Collingwood for two nights in July 2006. What a gem this hotel turned out to be. Very clean, bedrooms extremely stylish and comfortable. Pinks Restaurant was a lovely suprise. We had not initially booked for dinner, but when we saw the extensive menu we gave it a try. Excellent dinner on both nights we ate in the hotel. Many plus points - large choice of dishes, (my husband had sea bass one night and said the quality was excellent - compliments to the chef) good quantity of fresh vegetables, lovely sweet menu and delicious hot pudding as one of the choices. A very helpful smiling waitress completed the pleasant experience.
The pool area was warm and again very clean.
We will cetainly return to this hotel."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of August 2006

Would Visit Again

Good

"We have just spent 3 days in the Collingwood Hotel and would thoroughly recommend it. The staff go out of their way to make your stay as comfortable as possible and nothing is too much trouble for them.

My husband and I look forward to returning in the new year.

One word of warning. Ask for a room at the back of the hotel as the rooms over the front of the hotel can be a bit noisy as the volume of traffic builds up in the mornings!"

• Travel date: Sat 8th of October 2005

Clean friendly with good leisure activities

Good

"my sister, my mother myself and my son stayed at this hotel for the spring bank holiday, staff very friendly and the rooms were clean and comfortable. the restaurant was nice and they catered for all tastes my sister is unable to eat fat in her diet and they did not have a problem catering for her needs so long as you informed them beforehand which is fair enough. The leisure facilities were excellent and I enjoyed having a swim before breakfast. The location of the hotel was very good 5 minutes walk to the town and 5 minutes walk to the beach although my mother was not able to walk back we found a taxi which cost us £3 which was well worth it. Would return to this hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 3rd of June 2005

Unprofessional Pinks Restaurant

"Collingwood Hotel itself was really lovely and the front desk staff and managers/owners seemed very nice, but Pinks Restaurant was very unprofessional. The staff were all foreign students, mainly Italian.
One girl (in charge of drinks) kept staring rudely at me and my family every time she saw us, making us feel most uncomfortable.
The dietary requirements were met with difficulty, every mealtime was a problem and yet this hotel advertises SD for special diets. They had been informed in a letter, telephone call and again at reception on day of arrival and still there were constant problems.
My son and I saw them laughing at our dinners.
One Italian girl was very argumentative.
Most of the food was oily and full of garlic and I had an upset stomach for most of the time here.
The menu was changed at short notice and meals were repeated within two days until I complained.
A german barman was very offhand and moody and snatched money out of your hands.
I would certainly not use this hotel again as the waiting and bar staff made you feel most uncomfortable."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of May 2005

Highly recommended

Good

"Stayed for a long weekend. Lovely and clean everywhere in the hotel. Staff very pleasant and helpful. Pool was a bit cold but we coped with that! Plenty to keep us occupied if we wanted. The dining room was rather crowded and tables close together but the food was good and service was excellent. Would definately return and book the Saver breaks."

• Travel date: Sat 12th of June 2004

Christmas visit

"We had a very enjoyable Christmas our room a good size kept very clean decor throughout the hotel was really good Mr B. Clark. has done a great job and has worked very hard to make guests an enjoyable stay staff very helpful,a very good choice of food nice and hot with hot plates good central position for beach and town ,with bus stop outside hotel we are looking forward to a return visit to this hotel in the very. near future."

• Travel date: Thu 21st of January 2016

return visit very soon

"We have made many visits to this hotel, MR B.CLARK. and all his hotel staff always made us very welcome, and were very efficient, our room was a nice size kept very clean towels always changed .MR CLARK has updated the hotel considerably over the previous years rooms. dining area, lounge,pool,and many more amenities in the hotel,not forgetting the car parking, also you are close to the sea and the town a bus stop outside the hotel, the breakfast and evening meals good choices and hot plates and meals, for my wife and myself goes very much toward making a very good holiday.

• Travel date: Fri 27th of November 2015

Hotels near Hotel Collingwood

Stayed at Hotel Collingwood? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Hotel Collingwood

• Leonard P by Leonard P

"a very good hotel it is up to you to enjoy yourselves most things are there "

• Mr L. W. Patten. by Mr L. W. Patten.

"Bus stop outside hotel to Swanage, a very good beach "

Hotel Collingwood is also called