Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff

East Overcliff Drive, Bournemouth BH1 3AN England

Never any Problems

"I have stayed at the East Cliff on approximately 10 occasions and have to say that reading some of the other reviews I wonder if I was stopping in the same hotel!!
I have always found the staff to be helpful and have always accommodated any needs I have had. I once was allocated a single room, straight back to the reception were I was upgraded to a suite, more than acceptable.
James the manager is always friendly and accommodating, in all I would recommend anyone to stay here whether on business or for a break."

• Travel date: Sun 16th of April 2006

Very enjoyable

Good

"We only stayed a night but found none of the problems others seem to have experienced - the staff were all helpful, efficient and friendly, everything was very clean and of a high standard. The only problem we had was that none of the lights were working when we first got to our room but they upgraded us to an executive room with a sea view so no complaints there. We opted for room service as there was a football game I wanted to see (my team grabbed a last-minute equaliser which may have made the memories of the hotel more favourable!); and the food came promptly and was delicious, club sandwich and fries highly recommended. Breakfast was also very good. Maybe hard to judge value for money as we were using airmiles, but certainly a higher standard than we usually find in the UK."

• Travel date: Wed 22nd of February 2006

Not Value for Money

"I have just spent a couple of nights at the Menzies East Cliff Court with my partner and have to say how very disappointed we were. Yes, the hotel has undergone refurbishment but it is unforgiveable for a 4*, let alone a 1* hotel to have only no hot water in the bedroom. Moreover, the mattress was one of the worst I have slept on with the springs starting to give way. To be fair, we were offered a 50% reduction on the room the next morning and upgraded to a room which did have hot water!
Whilst certain staff attempted to be helpful, it was entirely clear that the management of this establishment is very poor and if I am ever to return to this chain, the service ethic has to improve significantly. The restaurant staff took an unreasonably long time to a)take our order and b)deliver the food. This applied equally to dinner and breakfast. The elderly man at the bar really was not interested in customer service and also took an age to serve us.
All in all, this is one of many hotels these days which is owned by a large chain and does not understand the concept of personal service. From now on I will not be seduced by the * rating system and will also look for privately owned hotels which take pride in looking after their customers properly."

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of November 2005

Good for business traveller - not ideal for leisure traveller

"the hotel is definately of four star quality and everything seem to be newly refurbished.

disappointing was that breakfast was not included in the price as you would expect from such a high price level. also everything extra is charged extra. it definately has the business traveller in mind...but it isn't ideal for the leisure traveller.

staff was friendly but were not flexible negotiating the price for the second night we planned to extend. and that option was room only without the use of any other leisure facilities.

the leisure facilities were not abundant anyway. there was an outdoor swimming pool but the sauna and indoor swimming pool was on the premises of its sister hotel next door.

location of hotel was perfect however, directly at the cliff and minutes away from central bournnemouth."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of September 2005

poor customer service

"After staying at this hotel for full price for one night the customer service was very poor. No help to identify what facilities were available and the staff wern't very friendly. Feedback from other people who had stayed was found in the room, not collected which also made reference to poor room service and filthy sheets, the throw was really soiled! When booking out they tried to charge again for the room. No apology was made"

• Travel date: Sun 19th of September 2004

4 star hotel???

"When I have booked this 4 star hotel through lastminute for a reasonable price I was quite pleased. Until I reached there and realised that breakfast was not included in the price and was going to be charged at £13.95 per person. Also on my arrival I was asked whether I would like any newspapers in the morning, which I did just to find out on my departure that I would have to pay for them! What a surprise because you get free newspapers even in Welcome Break!

The decor of the hotel was very old fashioned, the floor in the corridor was making squeky noise and the hairdryer in the room was at least 10 years old! The pool did not look clean enough and I was completely put off after seeing the pool in the neighbouring Carlton hotel being filled by hose directly from the tap!

For the price I paid the hotel was OK, but why would somebody want to pay £150 a night for a double room at this hotel and why it is 4 start hotel is beyond my understanding. I would not stay in this hotel again as it is not good value for money."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of June 2004

Lovely place

"Booked via lastminute, got decent rate for my wife's birtday.

Lovely, fresh and recently refurbished hotel. Friendly reception (though weird security guys). Spacious rooms, excellent contemporary style, pleasant colours. Wide view over the Solent. Plenty of parking spaces.

The pool was not heated this time of the year, but we liked the look of it.

Dont want you to have a perfect picture of the hotel. No bill via TV, no min-bar, awkward temperature control.

I was surprised when discovered that there is absolutely no picture of the hotel on the net. Please ask me if you want one => dyon(at)mail.ru

There is no sauna/spa in this hotel, you'll have to walk 20 yards to the next door sister Menzies hotel. Sports facilities at next door Carlton were appalling. If you think you can be alone in the sauna, ask the roach that lives there. Overall, if you compare two Menzies hotels, I'd definitely return to the East cliff one."

• Travel date: Mon 29th of March 2004

Absolutely perfect!

"We have just returned from a wonderful anniversary treat staying at the Menzies East Cliff Court Hotel in Bournemouth. What a splendid hotel this is, our room was a delight, sea facing, huge and spotlessly clean.
We were required to "dress for dinner" which made things just that little bit more special and, after enjoying a lovely meal, adjourned for coffee in the non-smoking lounge with sea views. We have stayed many times in high class hotels but this hotel outclassed them all. All the staff were polite and helpful and we would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for real quality"

• Travel date: Sun 21st of March 2004

Small room, no air con for £160/night - 4* hotel

"Our room was tiny and the TV was nearly touching the bed and we have to lift it on top of the chair. I have not been requesting an upgrade, just a normal room their website shows, Anyway in the night there was no air con and it was extremelly hot. Breakfast were cold."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of August 2009

This hotel had the perfect setting right...

Good

"This hotel had the perfect setting right on the seafront! It had a lovely outdoor dinning area where you could sit and look out to sea!

A fabulous pool was a big plus too. The dining area was superbly decorated, the food was great and the service excellent.

The room was a good size with nice furnishings and had a lovely bathroom.

The only downside was that in the middle of summer the room was very very hot. It was like stepping into a sauna at times as you felt the heat hit you when you entered.

What didn't help the matter was that our room overlooked a staircase so you couldn't open the windows very much at all.

This is a lovely hotel but I would choice carefully the room that you stay in.

I would definitely visit again, but would take a room with a sea view which would hopefully be much better and with a great view too!"

• Travel date: Sun 7th of January 2007

Hotels near Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff

Stayed at Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff

• onedoublebed by onedoublebed

"The Mandarin - Cantonese restaurant "

Hallmark Hotel Bournemouth East Cliff is also called