Decked Terrace

• heated pool
  • indoor pool

Poor service

Reviewed 9th August 2016

"I was unhappy from the start as I had booked to an arrival time between 12-1 with the view the room would be ready. I was told that I could not get in the room till 3 which hindered plans as I was meeting old friends that I had flown in from Dubai to see. The kitchen stops serving early and does not offer room service or bar snacks after. The pools and surrounding gardens are great Very over priced for where it is and the service they offer "

• Travel date: 30th July 2016

great stay

Reviewed 20th April 2015

"We have just stayed for two nights in room 101 , we were there for a masonic ladies night, food ,staff, the cleanness of the room brilliant, and breakfast fantastic , DOWNSIDE the price of wine very ,very ,dear even by hotel standards . but over all a wonderful stay !! "

• Travel date: 19th April 2015

Wedding nightmare

Reviewed 3rd September 2013

"I took my two children (8 and 5) to the Chine Hotel so that we could enjoy the air show and the Boscombe concert. We were very impressed when we first arrived. The hotel was lovely with good facilities for children. Our room had a sea view and was plenty big enough. We went to the beach and watched the air show and then went back to the hotel and swam in the outdoor pool which was beautiful on a sunny day. We chose to eat together as my husband could not come with us. The meal was nice but very pricey. Lovely restaurant and staff. We then went to the beach show until 10 pm. Then the nightmare began. Firstly, I really hope that the wedding guests had a good time, it is not their fault. However, the music went on til near 1 am which was horrendous. Extremely noisy. The windows would not shut to get the noise out. It went on until 1 and then from 3.15 til 4 am we had the privilege of listening to the party goers slamming doors and watching TV. I feel that the hotel should be informing non wedding attendees that they are guaranteed no sleep for the handsome price of £165.00. They are happy to put a long notice on the reception to apologise but they already have your money at that point so empty gesture really. Rest assured that I am keen to try the hotel again, we loved the pools, soft play and facilities for the children. However, NEVER ON A SATURDAY NIGHT!!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: 1st September 2013

Great position

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Stayed here sat night because hotels in Bournemouth were bit too pricey. Agree with earlier review Boscombe isn't a great area but the hotel is in great spot just off the seafront. We took a taxi into Bournemouth which is easy- taxi phone in reception cost about £7 into town and about £10 on the way back at about 1am which is Pretty good. If you want to walk into Bournemouth along the seafront it's 2 miles and is a nice walk. The hotel is split in two we were in the annexe in room 25 we had a great sized modern room with fantastic views over the gardens and sea,modern bathroom and flat screen tv in room. I am a light sleeper and found room was very quiet (mind you after a few glasses of wine everything does get quiet !) The main hotel does look a bit tired but is very clean, only had breakfast which was pretty good. Nice indoor pool with sauna and spa and also small gym.They also have outdoor pool and spa. Staff pretty friendly,reception very helpful rest of the staff quite quiet and unobtrusive. Booked the room through tourist information and got a good deal. would definatly stay again."

• Travel date: 2nd April 2008

Enjoyed the Chine

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"Stayed on a course at The Chine for two nights. I had room 205 a large double with sofa and modern fittings. Room's best feature was the views of Bournemouth/Swanage and the sea as well as the lovely hotel gardens. The room was clean as was the bathroom and the hotel in general was very nice though a little tired in places. The breakfast and other meals were very good and the staff pretty helpful though not overly attentive in the restaurant. Food and drink prices are high. The hotel has an indoor and outdoor pool, a gym, an indoor and outdoor spa pool and a sauna. Gardens are extensive and there is private access to the beach. Boscombe itself is pretty shabby especially out of season and I would recommend heading towards Bournemouth rather than looking in vain for a decent restaurant or pub in Boscombe itself."

• Travel date: 31st March 2008

An Older View

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"I found the Chine Hotel to be comfortable and very quiet - but then March is not the busy holiday time. It was too warm inside for me, although the outside temperature was very cold. I had a beautiful, very large room which was clean, with everything I could expect from a 3 star hotel. The food was good, not always to my taste as I prefer plainer meals; however, the breakfast buffet was excellent with lots of choice, especially the fresh fruit. It is a lovely walk from the hotel to the beach going down through the public gardens, although there is also a private garden and gate for guests. I understand that the Chine Hotel has changed hands recently, perhaps that accounted for the unhappy staff late last year. I found the staff (mostly young and foreign) courteous and unobtrusive. The restaurant was only half full with guests, I would imagine service there could fall short of satisfactory when it is busy as the staff seemed to have little idea of efficiency."

• Travel date: 12th March 2008

Great location for small children

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"I admit that I have a soft spot for the Chine (latest of 6 stays), but agree with many of the comments. Food generally pretty good, the service depends on how busy and how new the staff are. Wine a little expensive, although had far worse in other Bournemouth hotels. Functions can be a little noisy (depends which room they are in) - not just weddings, but school holidays sometimes have "entertainment" which can be over powering. Make sure you ask when you book! Hoardes of midle class parents can be fun...or overpowering. But then as a middelclass parent.... Outdoor pool in warm weather is great - in a sun trap. Short walk to beach - Boscombe end, more child friendly than Bournemouth Stay in West Wing, and at the back if you can. Downside - post madeline, some may feel that an adjoining building is too far away to leave very small children. Some rooms in main hotel massive....but dated. Keep an eye out for offers on Best Western - often get 3 for 2, and good DBB rates."

• Travel date: 18th December 2007

What a lovely 5 days

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"We stayed at the hotel with our seven year-old twin children. They enormously enjoyed the children's club and we found it very difficult to drag them away from it. Lisa, the children's club leader deserves special mention for her enthusiasm. We stayed in the west wing, which we would recommend because it has been refurbished more recently than the main building and is also separated from the main building so not noisy at all. The food was interesting and well prepared. The gardens were delightful and lead almost to the beach. The staff were helpful. Overall recommended."

• Travel date: 27th October 2007

I only wish I'd red this website before - very poor value for money

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"Like I have named the title, I only wish I had read the reviews on this website before booking the place! I will start with the arrival, we get there at 2.30pm and we have it stated on our confirmation letter that we can get into our rooms by 2pm, the room was not ready until 3pm, no apology, no offer of a drink in the bar while we waited, just an attitude that screamed out 'I dont care!' We got into our room, no cot like we asked for on booking and the room was dated, very dated! We had paid alot of money for a seaview room, it had what only can be described as a partial seaview in my mind as it faced the hotel and you could only see alittle bit of the sea. The room was like a blast from the past even having the old wall radio intercoms on the wall, I wont even go into detail about the bathroom as that was far worse and this for over £200 a night, shocking! We ate in th restaurant, the food was poor at best, small portions, overcooked meats and very, very slow service. The wines - very over priced, the drinks in the bar - very overpriced! This hotel charges through the roof for average service at the best and very poor quality rooms! The hotel seemed like it once once great but has since been ignored and forgotten, the sad thing about this is that it could be a beautiful hotel! The service is terrible, as someone else posted on here the staff have an attitude about them like we owe them something and they are in general just miserable! They really should charge at least half of what they are charging for what this place is though!Definately living on past glories and next time I may use the travelodge down the road - the service is better!"

• Travel date: 2nd September 2007

Much the same

Reviewed 21st October 2012

"we also stayed in the hotel on the same weekend as the wedding from hell as the reviewer below and can only echo the comments. We had the family room on the top floor opposite the court yard and front reception door. The room was excellent, large and our two kids loved the small attached room with bunk beds. we did have a slight sea view which was a bonus. It was a very hot day which made the room extreemly hot in the evening as there was no breeze or aircon. The gardens and out door swimming pool were very, very nice and you can walk down to the beach through the grounds. The wedding spoilt our stay, from our nice room during the day we were kept up till 2am as the drunken party goers hung around outside waiting for cabs, talking loudly and smoking etc I complained in the morning and got a shrug of the shoulders and the comment "really ?" This obviously an on going problem and is very poorly managed. I can only guess that the money made from functions is so high they think stuff the guests, I would of been cheered up a bit if they had given me a partial refund for our lack of sleep. In short potentially a great hotel spoilt on Fridays and satadays unless your at the party, and they do add a paper on your bill even though it was implied it was included."

• Travel date: 20th August 2007

Good and bad

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"Stayed in the family room of the Chine Hotel for 1 night on a Saturday night at my company's corporate rate. The good: -Spacious room and bathroom, sea views (and roof view of the restaurant and the events hall - more on that later) -Very nice landscaped gardens running down to the ocean front -Generally clean and well maintained for a 3 star -Friendly and efficient check-in -Childrens playground and activities Now, sadly, the bad, that ruined our stay somewhat: - Below the restaurant is the events hall, where weddings are often held. In our case the party kicked off at 7pm and the music lasted until 1am. We were on the first floor, the restaurant was between us and the hall, but it was very diffficult to sleep - and that in the family room! Called reception at 11 and was told the music would finish at 11.30 or 12.00. At 12.40 it was still blaring on, so rang again and someone else told me it would finish at 1am - which it did. The next morning had the inclusive buffet breakfast - decent enough, relatively friendly staff of average efficiency. Toaster set off fire alarm, but other than that fine. Bad surprise at checkout: Was told I could check out a bit later after the loud night, which was great, but then spent about 5 minutes arguing with what must have been the "house dragon" on being charged extra for a morning newspaper. Finally agreed to remove from the bill, as a queue was buildung up behind us! So in summary, if you stay here on a non-wedding night then you'll probably have a pleasent stay for a 3 star hotel. It's just sad that this was ruined for us. Suggest you choose your dates (weekend) carefully, unless you do not mind noise or are going out late yourself."

• Travel date: 12th August 2007

Very disappointing - what a difference a year makes!

Reviewed 10th November 2012

"Well, I really dont know what has happened to this hotel. I went there on business last year and it was amazing, staff were very helpful and attentive, there was a strong management pressance and all the staff were really friendly and seemed like they enjoyed their jobs. When I was there with the conference we had a welcome meeting with the manager who gave us all a little talk, he was very helpful and friendly and he came and spoke to us on a number of occasions. I was so impressed that I went back with my partner and it was equally as good, two of the managers even remembered me from the conference stay and everyone was really attentive to all our needs. We decided to go back there this year and we took our friends who came to the hotel solely on our recommendations and all I can say is what has happened here!!!! I am embarassed to have taken my friends to such a place! The hotel is fairly expensive, from rooms to drinks in the bar, in fact I would go as far to say that the place is just as expensive as most four star hotels. We didnt mind last year as the service was so good but alot has changed in a year. The staff no longer care, they look miserable, the management pressence - Gone, I didnt recognise any of the managers who I had seen in my previous stays, they seem to have been replaced by people who did not even acknowledge me when I said good morning, the lady just looked at me and kept walking, borderline rude. It seems like a different hotel completely. No one seems to care for the guests here anymore, im glad we only were staying a couple of days because I couldnt bear any longer. Chine management - I dont know if you read this website but whatever you have changed needs to be changed back, get the attentive and friendly management staff back to make the hotel as warm and enjoyable as it used to be, until then, I will certainly not be returning and my recommendation to others is look elsewhere"

• Travel date: 11th August 2007

Hotels near Chine Hotel

Top traveller tips for Chine Hotel

• by Batts M

"More helpful and attentive staff. The staff complained a lot about the work which I understand must be rubbish but I was a guest not a couns..."

• by monkeyannie

"Do not go on a Saturday night, it is NOT FAMILY FRIENDLY!"

Chine Hotel is also called