BEST WESTERN PLUS The Connaught Hotel

did not want to leave

Reviewed 7th April 2018

"My husband booked this hotel, as a surprise for my 60th birthday. I was not disappointed, our room was perfect in every way. The bathroom was magnificent, the best I have ever seen. The bed was so comfortable, clean and well made with an abundance of pillows. The room was warm clean and quiet. To sum it up the room was fit for royalty."

• Travel date: 5th January 2017

Reviewed 27th July 2016

"Excellent holiday, that good we have booked next years already. Check in was quick and easy, room lovely, clean and spacious with a balcony. The cleanliness of this room was maintained throughout. Meals in Blakes and the Bistro Excellent +++ , as were the breakfasts with plenty of choice, staff very pleasant and attentive. Car parking was reserved. A very very good hotel. Thank you. Location very good for beach, shops and Pier. "

• Travel date: 24th July 2016

Brilliant Stay

Reviewed 28th April 2016

"My sister & I have just stayed at The Connaught Hotel 16th - 23rd April. We could not have had a better a better week, the service and helpfulness we received from the moment we arrived was 1st class. We had help with our luggage to our room on arrival and also on departure. Ricardo on reception was great in transferring us to a more suitable room which was larger and brighter & we were very happy, just one thing tho the wardrobe was a bit small ! Nicky the restaurant manager was so attentive and lovely nothing was too much trouble he even sent breakfast to the room one morning when I was not feeling so good. Breakfast was superb really nicely cooked and a great variety of choice. Blake evening meals were excellent too. We also ate in The Brasserie which was less expensive but equally good. Tommie of the bar staff did a great job and was so friendly, also thanks to Elkin the duty manager for his commitment in seeing that guests were happy. All staff were always friendly, helpful and courteous. Lovely spa treatments offered, nice friendly girls. The decor throughout is pleasing, nice comfortable lounge and other seating areas, also a sunny outdoor terrace. This is a lovely hotel in a great location close to beach, town, gardens, pier and other facilities. Honestly speaking, this is the friendliest hotel I have ever stayed in, will definitely stay again."

• Travel date: 27th April 2016

The hotel to be fair was very nice downs...

Reviewed 15th August 2008

"The hotel to be fair was very nice downstairs but badly needs refurbished especially in the bedrooms which were very hot and very noisy. The bathrooms are very old fashioned and badly need to be updated as it was very old showers and they had the shower curtains stuck to the bathroom wall which did not instill a feeling of cleanliness at all. There was no air condidtioning and no ice machine and no way to beat the oppresive heat which was relentless during our stay and made it very uncomfortable. Would i stay there again? No. Did i get value for money? No. Did I get good service from the hotel? No. Would i recommend it to anyone? Absolutely not!!!!!"

• Travel date: 15th August 2008

Tacky

Reviewed 24th October 2012

"We stayed at the back of the hotel in Connaught Lodge. Only one night but that was enough. Rooms were overhesated and we were not able to turn the heat down. Close to town & the beach and the breakfast was good. Tiny bathrooms and overall I'd give it a 5/10."

• Travel date: 3rd July 2008

Just plain average

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"My girlfriend and I booked a room at the Connaught, and would have to say that the Internet photos looked better than the actual room. We paid 73-pound a night and received a room at The Lodge. The room itself was large and nice, but the bathroom was in serious need of updating -- it looked very 70's and the sink/tub was rusted. That said, if you are not one to hang out in the hotel room, it's not too bad -- as the location near the beach is very good. Plus, if you head backward, toward St. Michel street, you can jet over to the shopping area quickly. I must admit that I can't say a lot of nice things about the room itself -- it looked more 2 star than 3 -- but the leisure area including indoor pool was fine (the outdoor pool is more for show though because it was dirty and cold). The breakfast was fine as well as the dinner -- in fact the restaurant was probably the best thing about the place (minus the prices for the US traveler)."

• Travel date: 15th June 2008

Nice hotel but.......

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"My family and i stayed at this hotel for a weekend. The hotel itself was very nice, the swimming pool , Jacuzzis and steam rooms were excellent. The breakfast was included in the price and was ok, nothing very special....juice,cereal,warm english breakfast. The family bedroom was reasonably clean. The duvet cover was ripped on the bed. The bunk beds in the childrens room were that rickety that my children were scared to climb on the top bunk. The bathroom was basic, i never found any hot water in the taps all weekend! And the black dirt marks round the shower curtain and plug hole were enough to put us off using the bath/shower. For a Best Western Hotel we were quite disappointed. A two night stay cost us £235 in my opinion not value for money. The actual location of the hotel was lovely, a short stroll to the cliff top with a nice walk down to the sea front."

• Travel date: 8th May 2008

Very enjoyable stay

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"Spent 2 nights here midweek 8-10 April Booked a superior room which was a little small, but had a lovely South facing balcony to make up for size. Very clean bathroom but certainly not "luxury" - could do with updating. Breakfast was good and staff very pleasant. Swimming pool and saunas very good. We paid £40 pppn and thought it was good value. We actually booked through hotel website as it was cheaper than Venere strangely enough. Very close to bus stop from airport ,ask to get off at West Cliff, bus driver was very helpful This was our first visit to Bournemouth and we were very impressed! The most beautiful beach ,walked for miles helped by sunny , blue skies. Would recommend boat trip to Brownsea Island , a wee gem - you could easily spend a day there. The West Beach Restaurant right on the beach on west side of pier was brilliant. Check out its website - well worth the prices for excellent fish dishes. Lovely friendly staff too.NB Check wine list, don't just ask for a bottle of house wine -it was £5 dearer than others! We went to Bournemouth because of ridiculously cheap Ryanair flights and will certainly return!"

• Travel date: 18th April 2008

A good experience with some reservations

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"My wife and I booked a superior room in the main building at £48 per person per night for 3 nights 8,9,&10 th April. Room OK but a bit small. Too little storage for clothes and bathroom ,well shower loo and washbasin actually, very small tight space.Much noise at night from the banging of firedoors and bedroom doors that can't shut quietly due to the door catches.Staff friendly and helpful for the most part andLeisure activities quite good value with pool sauna steam room and gym equipment room. Food in blakes: breakfast big selection of usual things,cooked breakfast standing for a long time and somewhat stale even at 7am, bacon dry eggs overly hard etc Blakes dinner.We ate there once. Overpriced badly cooked food Example runny chicken liver pate without any flavour and the consistency of chicken excrement. Pan fried lamb tough no flavours but the meat itself. Many wines missing from wine list generally very poor with confused staff although they tried to be helpful bill over £50 for 2 of us not worth half. Very bad indeed and not deserving of any AA rosette. Although the hotel was not that bad I would never book it again and would choose a much better one even at a greater cost. Sleep much interrupted by noise also the Bar had Rip off high prices"

• Travel date: 14th April 2008

Don't stay in the lodge

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"Room wasn't ready on arrival, we came back half an hour after the time we were told and it still wasn't ready. We went to the bar to wait and were told someone would let us know when we could actually go to the room we had paid for but no-one bothered. The room ("lodge room") looked like a set from Fawlty Towers. 70s decor, everything seemed old, outdated, and smelled of smoke. The lift is unbelievable, you can touch the walls as they whiz past - there is no door on the inside! Internet access worked 2 out of 7 days, staff had no clue why it wasn't working when asked. Breakfast was quite good. Pool was good, and enjoyed Bournemouth/Poole/Christchurch. Will pick a different hotel next time."

• Travel date: 10th April 2008

An excellent weekend

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"Very clean hotel. Staff very helpful, nothing too much trouble. Excellent service. Facilities above average. Will revisit"

• Travel date: 1st March 2008

Would not go back

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"Hubby and I booked this as a cheap Valentine's break but were very disappointed. I had read reviews stating that the hotel was preferable to the adjacent lodge, so when booking through the hotel website, I deliberately chose a hotel double rather than lodge room, at a cost of £10 more. When we checked in we were put in the lodge, and when I disputed this I was basically told I was lying about what I had booked, and was shown a print out stating I'd booked a twin room in the lodge! We went to look at the twin in the lodge, but it was tiny and so not what we wanted. We returned to reception and they conceded that they would move us to a family room (with a double bed) but we would have to stay in the lodge as the main hotel was full. The family room was much bigger and did have a double bed, but it was grimy and out-dated- not up to three star standard. The worst bit was that we were put on the third floor, and it's no exageration to say that the lift is a death trap! If I had young children i would not have let them go in it as there is no internal door so you can see the wall and doors moving past you as you go up- little fingers could very easily get caught. We ventured to the leisure facilities, but there was some problem with the pool so it was cold (too cold for me to swim in and I'm a keen swimmer). The changing rooms appeared clean, but had a nasty sewage smell to them. We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant and instead went out to dinner. Breakfast the next day was the best bit of stay, although my husband was less impressed with the cooked breakfast he had (he thought things tasted like they had been hanging around a bit). I stuck to continental which was fine. The shower in our room only spouted scalding water so was unusable- thankfully we were only staying one night! All in all I would not go back, although to be fair the actual hotel did look a lot better kept than the lodge, although we didn't see inside a room there."

• Travel date: 19th February 2008

Hotels near Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel

Top traveller tips for Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel

• by julie

"Make sure you book for as long as you are able"

• by Fairview30

"Stay here anytime. Book a room with balcony. Eat in Blakes and the Bistro"

Best Western Plus The Connaught Hotel is also called