Indoor heated pool

rip off accommodation

Reviewed 30th December 2015

"I stayed with my family in summer 2014 we booked Cleevewood house apartments as it was the only accommodation that would hold all of us. It is advertised as luxury accommodation but when we arrived it was far from luxurious. We have complained a number of times only to be sneered at and offered a meal voucher. The curtains were hanging off their posts like a monkey had been swinging on them. The kitchen floor had a gap in it witch when we complained was patched up with duck tape and nails. The dining room chairs were worn and rotten. The windows and walls had cracks running through. The toaster was broken and it was pretty dirty as well as our bed dented in the middle so we both rolled onto each other in the middle. Oh and the washing machine broken so it shredded all our clothes and what the washing machine did not chew the iron melted. But the best bit was the wobbly unsafe barbecue that rocked in the wind and was connected to a gas canister. Mr Glover enjoys ripping people off and laughing in their faces. Well I am sharing my opinion in as many places as I can so carry on laughing Mr Glover! Sick monkey will have the last laugh."

• Travel date: 28th December 2015

Bed Bugs !!!!!!! check your beds !

Reviewed 19th August 2015

"I recently came home home from this camp , i returned home covered from head to toe in bites from bed bugs. i had a bad reaction from the bites i got from the bugs that were living in our bed in the caravan we stayed in . we stayed in two caravans having to be moved and both were very dated and needed a good clean and some general repairs . the camp in general was okay , pools and facilities okay and the food was good . Woolacombe Beach is fantastic . my children enjoyed this holiday which is a shame as i would never go here again, my advise to anybody who is going is to check all your beds ."

• Travel date: 18th August 2015

Should have booked Haven

Reviewed 9th May 2013

"Well, to say I'm disappointed is an understatement. Booked through the sun holidays, and upgraded to a silver Lodge before arrival. On entering lodge tin of cigarettes buts greeted my 2 toddlers. Next handles falling off furniture., extractor fan hanging on for dear life, bathroom tiles think use to be white! Spoke to reception asked for a gold upgrade stated would be an additional £45, but they had none left so we decided to make the most of it. Woke up next morning with ants crawling all over the place. Needless to say was moved the next morning to another lodge, to be honest no better, this place hasn't been renovated for years and it shows will not be returning and will ensure none of my family or friends come here. The beach however is amazing."

• Travel date: 9th May 2013

SUN SCAM - DON'T BOTHER - REPORTING TO WATCHDOG

Reviewed 2nd February 2013

"Just booked using the The Sun - holiday offer from £9.50. As my parents were coming too, we decided to upgrade and asked what was available. Told if I wanted a 3 bed exclusive upgrade it would cost an extra £205.00 on top of the £47.50 I'd already paid to the Sun. Therefore a total of £252.50 for a four day break. Yet advertised on the Woolacombe Bay website for Golden Coast, same holiday in a 3 bed exclusive - £220!!!! Was told tough, I shouldn't have booked through the Sun then! Surely this isn't even legal is it? Reporting to watchdog. Doubt I'll get my £47.50 back but lesson learned. AVOID!!!!!!!!!!!!! COMPLETE AND UTTER SCAM!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: 1st February 2013

AVIOD!!!!! AVOID!!!!!AVOID!!!!ABSOLUTELY DISGUSTING!!!!!!!

Reviewed 27th August 2012

"I have just returned home one week early from this place and I am gutted as this was the first holiday my children have had in 4yrs, when we turned up the pitch that we were given was that hard we could not get the pegs for the awning properly into the ground, this was orignally booked for a tent, but we took a touring caravan instead!!!! (thankfully). When the kids went to the outdoor pool,you could tell that it had not been cleaned as there was dirty plasters on the bottom, this was first thing in the morning, so you would expect it to be spotless!!, also walking past the outdoor pool at night it was very clear that they were not bothered about covering it over to protect it from the birds, the covers were just thrown over in any old fashion and the seaguls were having a ball!!!, just think your kids could be going in this pool the day after the birds pool party!!! Now lets go to the indoor pool!!!, it stunk and it was dirty,the amount of dirt in the floor tiles was disgusting, it was humid and all the windows were steamed up full of condensation, my husband and I was only in there with the kids for around 15mins and we could take it no more!!! The CINEMA!!!, what an absolute joke, it was a small pull down projector screen in a basement room that absolutely reeked it was damp and all the chairs were ripped, I am finding it hard to describe how disgusting it really was, I would not allow my dog in there never mind my kids, on walking into the cinema you have to go down some steps and walk down a corridor, on walking into the corridor it was obvious that some people had been smoking down there it absolutely stunk of ****!! One day we were sat in the caravan when a Woolacombe company van came speeding round the corner, slammed on his brakes (too late!!) and smashed into my caravan, when my husband went outside to see what damage had been done, (thankfully no damage was done, but only due to the fact that the water barrell was in the way, this did however get pushed under the van as he hit it with force!!) the guy driving the van jumped out as if he was carrying carpets and decided that he would not tollerate being questioned about what he had just done!!!, needless to say in the end he did see the error of his ways or so we thought, everytime we were out and about after this if he saw us he thought it would be good to give us his intimidating looks!!! The prices on site are extortionate, £4.10 for a pint of guiness, £3.80 for a pint of lager, not to mention the kids drinks, I do expect to pay a bit more because I do understand that they have overheads to pay, but this is crackers, people are on tight budgets these days and I could not afford to take my kids out and see what the night time entertainment was like as it would have cost me a fortune, we ended up going into the bay for our entertainment as it was cheaper. Now here is the cruncher for me, my son who is 8yrs old went to the surf shop on site, to buy his friend a present before we left, I gave him £3 in pound coins, he went with his older brother who is 13yrs old, when he got to the shop he saw a wrist band he wanted to buy for £2, so he gave the man in the shop the money, but being 8yrs old he didnt really understand that he needed to give him the 2 pound coins and gave him all 3, his elder brother asked him where his other pound was to which he replied the man has it all, his elder brother went to the guy serving in the shop and explained that he had been given too much money, after a discussion with the guy serving he gave my eldest son the pound back and said to him "you had better not be taking the ****!!!, when they came to the caravan and told me this I was fuming, how dare he speak to my kids in that manner, I went over to see him and he said he was only "JOKING", well I wasnt and I told him I do not expect my children to be spoken to like that!!!. I can honestly say I am glad to see the back of that place and the people in it, it is filthy, expensive, unproffessional and half the stuff they advertise as being fantastic is absolute rubbish. I have not asked for my money back as I know I am wasting my time, I am going to have to put this down to experience. I have complained to management on site and all I got back was well I will investigate this, oh and then she said what do you think about the free entertainment we provide!!!hahahahaha at £4.10 and £3.80 a pint I would hardly call it free. You can choose to ignore my review, but if you do go and end up like me then dont say you werent warned, I have nothing to gain now by writing this my holiday has been cut short, I would just hate it to happen to you."

• Travel date: 26th August 2012

Absolutely loved it!

Reviewed 21st April 2012

"My husband and I, and our two children booked four nights at Golden Coast, through a newspaper holiday offer. We have never stayed at a holiday park before and we have been thrilled with our experience. Golden Coast is a lovely holiday park, with good facilities and friendly helpful staff. We assumed that we would be allocated a budget caravan, with two bedrooms, and had warned our son and daughter that they would have to share a bedroom. When we checked in we were given the keys to a Gold Lodge which had 3 bedrooms! We were amazed by the size and cleanliness/smartness of the lodge. (Our children shared a room anyway, as by the time we arrived, they had become quite keen on the idea!) We had a problem with our heating/hot water on the first day, but this was quickly fixed. The childrens entertainment each night was particularly good and our kids adored it. Chris, Nathan Ellie and co have much to be proud of. Hope to come back one day."

• Travel date: 20th April 2012

We love it

Reviewed 9th January 2012

"We have been going to the Golden Coast for many years through the Sun newspaper deals. We also make a point of upgrading to Silver or Gold lodge and cannot fault them. We stayed in the Gold Lodge in 2011 and absolutely lovely. It even had a heated outdoor pool just outside which was great fun just to step straight outside an into the pool. We have two small children and they absolutely love it. We never stay for the evening entertainment as the children are asleep by then but we often went for a drink in the area in time for the kids disco which they loved. "

• Travel date: 7th January 2012

Poor accommodation

Reviewed 13th June 2011

"My husband and two children booked a 3 day break with Golden Coast through the 'sun' vouchers last weekend with our friends who also have 2 children. When we arrived we were given keys to what I would describe as a grotty council flats next to each other. It was situated quite near to the club house (therefore would be really noisy when our kids were in bed, ages 5 1/2 and 2 1/2) and had metal steps leading up to the flat (which anyone who has a 2 1/2 yr old knows this is very unsuitable as there was no gate at the top to stop a child falling down). Upon entering the flat (or clematis apartments I think they were called) we found only one bedroom and a broken sofa bed in the lounge. I felt upset and frustrated by this as we firstly were not aware we wouldn't be in a caravan (as we've always stayed at Twitchen House and Woolacombe Bay campsites which all have caravans) and secondly even if we had known we were getting a flat I would at least wanted two bedrooms as I paid more to come here than I had previously at Twitchen or woolacombe Bay!! I went to the reception to complain (and looked behind me at all the other people complaining) and asked to be moved to another park but was told they were all full. I then asked to be moved to a caravan (and also a caravan for my friends) but was asked if 8 of us wanted to share a caravan. After I'd said no to this and said I wanted a complaint form, the employee on reception came back, took me to one side and said she had two caravans free which turned out to be 3 bedroom ones so I commend the face they sorted this out for us in the end but I felt it was uneccessary stress at the beginning of our holiday we didn't need and would urge anyone who wants to stay in a caravan not to pick this park!!! We ended up having a lovely time, the old mill pub is fab with really lovely food and the outdoor pool was a lovely warm temperature but I just feel I couldn't chance another accommodation crisis again. Sorry. "

• Travel date: 7th June 2011

So-so

Reviewed 3rd June 2011

"We paid £500 for a lakeside lodge, for 3 nights fri-Mon (bank holiday). We arrived on Friday evening and were excited to get our keys and have a mooch around our lodge. Unfortunately when we arrived, despite initial appearances, we quickly realised the lodge wasn't very clean. Mainly the floors, which had clearly not been cleaned after the previous occupants had left, there was food splashed down the kitchen cupboards and the bathroom was also quite mucky. I started to whip the hoover around before I realised the extent of the issue, thinking actually the floors needed mopping as well. So I popped down to the reception to speak to someone there. The matter was dealt with quickly and professionally and someone was soon sent up to hoover and mop the floors. The next issue we ran into was the shower. It absolutely poured out of the cubicle from both sides leaving a huge amount of water on the slippery bathroom floor after each and every shower. Bad enough with two of us taking a shower, imagine what it would be like when the other 6 in our party arrived, we thought! Again we popped down to reception to let them know of the situation and also to request extra towels or a bathmat to help with the problem in the mean time. I'm not sure if anyone came to look at the problem while we were out, but nothing had been visibly done about it. The next afternoon, after 3 people took showers the bathroom was unusable. Not only was the floor in there wet but it was creeping into the hall/lounge area now as well. Again we went down to reception to raise the issue and were assured someone would pop up to have a look. On Saturday night I walked through the hallway towards the bedrooms, blissfully unaware that someone had been in the shower only to slip over and hurt my wrist on the now wet laminate flooring. Again the issue was raised with reception staff. By now our party had decided not to use the shower, as it meant the toilet then became out of bounds for a good while afterwards. So instead began using the campsite showers, or showering at the spa on a different site completely! Very annoying trudging across the site in the pouring down rain to take a shower. We all agreed the site itself was very good, facilities were well priced and always available. The staff we dealt with personally were always friendly, although it would seem not that pro-active. We had a good time at Golden Coast, we just returned feeling very grubby after being unable to use the now festering death trap of bathroom. The food available on site was a bit naff, but this didn't bother us, we preferred to trot off into Woolacombe Bay and find somewhere yummy. The option to use the other sites facilities was great, but don't rely on the bus service running between the sites, it doesnt run very often and you may find yourself stranded. The car pass allows you to park on any of the sites so we drove to each instead. The supermarket on site is incredibly well priced and caters for your needs well, much cheaper then our local Morrisons anyway! Our accommodation was very spacious and easily fit us all in. The boys are convinced there are no fish in the lake (large garden pond) that clearly says you can fish in. All in all not to bad, but I would make sure you insist again and again about any issues you find otherwise it won't be dealt with. Our leaky shower put a real dampner on things! "

• Travel date: 1st June 2011

Dont Go

Reviewed 16th May 2011

"I am not happy with this holiday because as it is our family do not have much money and it was our first holiday in 4 years.When we arrived the staff were not helpful they just gave us a map and said bye whcih is also very rude.the walk to the caravan was horrid my daughters feet were soaked as we had to walk through tons of wet grass.Then the caravan.....we had booked the most expensive caravan and it was dirty the toilet was smashed thecooker did not work and the balcony was blocked off.also my sons matress had a broken spring so he was sleeping on the sofa.the outdoor pool was closed even though the wetaher was lovely.the indoor pool was freezing and the evening entertainment was rubbish(my kids got bored in about 10 mins overall i give this park 0/10 "

• Travel date: 14th May 2011

Good accomodation

Reviewed 24th January 2011

"First impressions, staff were very attitudy , n pointed out severell times that we had booked a cheap sun holiday , , really pleased with accomodation appartfrom being in a place with no lighting atall which was a nightmare wen dark to get my 2 year old in as so scared of the dark . The red coats were very un friendly , there attitude was that it was the end of the season so they couldn't be boverd , but at the end of the day it was still a wrking day which we had paid for, the entertainment was awful and hardly any of it, Not a single thing for children to go to which is what we had gone for , all it takes is friendlyness which should be natural not an effort , which to these redcoats it was , should make more of an effort to get good staff , totally blanked my daughter several times when she tried to talk yo them"

• Travel date: 19th January 2011

Great Value

Reviewed 6th December 2010

"we stayed here off peak on one of those cheap holidays where you collect the vouchers in the paper, it was end of November and freezing. We were expecting the most basic of accomodation but got a gorgeous chalet in 'The Orchard' that could sleep six with a large open plan kitchen, diner, lounge. It was clean and the kitchen had all the utensils you would need. even though we went end of season most of the facilities at the park were still open. Despite it being -2 outside the chalet was really warm and cosy. My only complaints were - linen £4 pp; I specifically called to find out if linen was included and was told it would be. On arrival we were charged £4 pp. Other customers experienced the same problem. - the indoor swimming pool was freezing cold and defninately not warm enough for the children other than those 2 complaints was a great park and we would definately stay there again!!"

• Travel date: 2nd December 2010

Hotels near Golden Coast Holiday Village

Top traveller tips for Golden Coast Holiday Village

• by Midge F

"dont pay for caviar because you just get fish and chips anyway"

• by Caroline S

"Fab entertainment for kids. Tires them out a treat ;)"

• by Gemmy

"Go to the Old Mill pub for a nice meal and watch the sun set- great playground"

• by Budster

"More caravans and less grotty flats!!!"

• by lottie

"get in your car and drive around, lots of things to see and do in Barnstable and surrounding areas"

• by lucindaa

"Just spend the day on the beach there is nothing good to do at the site."

• by "PET FRIENDLY" with the family dog

"Read the small print,take your own linen and expect hidden charges!"

• by welshmami

"Never stay at any Woolacombe holiday park"

• by cazzy41

"The Fortescue pub does a fantastic carvery for £8.95 pp."

• by cazzy41

"Beautifull but very hilly."

• by moggie79

"Woolocombe beach was lovely"

• by smeagle333

"the carvery just outside park gates"

• by Ripley

"Devon is a beautiful place"

Golden Coast Holiday Village is also called