About The Somerville

Good

Probably the best small hotel I've ever stayed in

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"Great location with plenty of off-street parking. The guys who run the hotel were very helpful, friendly and accomodating. The breakfast was fantastic, the room and bathroom were spotlessly clean and fresh and the decor was quite opulent. Much, much better than the larger hotels I've stayed in at Torquay and this will be my first choice hotel from now on for any future visits."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of June 2009

Friendly, Clean & Efficient

Good
Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"I stayed for one night with colleagues on business and I would definately use again for business or pleasure. The place was very clean and staff were efficient and friendly, allowing us to chat and prep for a meeting in the restaurant (with coffees) long after checkout time."

Could not ask for more

Reviewed Mon 25th of February 2013

"We were recommended this Hotel by a friend, from arriving to leaving the stay was probably the most pleasant and friendly that I have ever experienced. The owners are very friendly and easy to get on with, the rooms are clean, well serviced and equipped. In a way I'm worried about writing this review as next time I have to go to Torquay they will be fully booked, a great hotel....."

Best hotel in Torquay!

Reviewed Sun 24th of February 2013

"I have stayed at the Somerville for at least 3 or 4 nights a week between January and June 2009 while working away from home and cannot recommend the hotel highly enough.

Every room is decorated to an exceptionally high standard (I know as I have stayed in most of them) and is well equipped and well appointed with freeview and flat screen TV’s, tea/coffee making facilities, iron/ironing board, plenty of wardrobe space, powerful showers and free wi-fi, also the beds are the most comfortable hotel beds that I have ever slept in!! If you are going away for a special occasion I would recommend paying an extra couple of pounds for room 12! ;-)

The public areas of the hotel are also decorated to a very high standard and are comfortable and welcoming. Every corner of the Somerville is immaculately clean and the owners pride themselves in having raised the bar for the standard of hotels in Torquay, it is not difficult to see why the hotel has achieved a 5 star+ rating.

The range of food on offer at breakfast is comprehensive to say the least and the cooked breakfasts are second to none – in fact if you are staying for any length of time you might put the odd pound or two on as the cooked breakfasts are hard to resist!

The hotel is located a 5 min stroll from the harbour area of Torquay and is in easy walking access of several pubs and restaurants.

Whether staying away on business, for a weekend break or a week’s holiday I would recommend the Somerville – you will not find a better hotel in Torquay (or Devon for that matter!)."

• Travel date: Wed 10th of June 2009

What a great place to stay...you wont regret it!!!

Reviewed Fri 26th of October 2012

"This B & B is a jewel. The 2 gentleman that run the place are adorable, so helpful and knowledgeable.and just a delight to talk to. Walking distance to the main center, great location!! Plenty of shops, restaurants and hiking areas. There are plenty of brochures in the lobby if you need ideas for site seeing, plus they will suggest things to do and see if you ask. The rooms were nicely decorated, clean and had special touches that a 5 star hotel has. My room was smaller than my friends, but just as nice. Bed and pillows are very plush and comfy! As a solo traveler, I felt very very safe here. Breakfast was always fresh and cooked to order and very good!
I would stay here again!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 8th of June 2009

Absolutely Fantastic

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"This hotel is amazing! Upon arrival we were greeted by friendly and welcoming staff who were very happy to take the time to give us advice on Torquay and the surrounding area. The entire hotel is spotlessly clean. We were shown to our room (the courtyard suite) which was amazing. It was beautifully decorated and the lovely extra touches throughout make the hotel truely 5 star. Home made cookies, filter coffee in the room, chocolate on the pillow to name just a few. The breakfast is first class with a huge choice, you have to try the muesli! The hotel is in an excellent location. All in all you would be crazy to stay anywhere else in Torquay. We will definately be back."

• Travel date: Sat 6th of June 2009

Super room, super staff, super hosts and super value

Reviewed Thu 22nd of November 2012

"Don't go anywhere else in Torquay. Seriously, I mean it. You'll be wasting your time and your money. The Somerville is excellent, spotlessly clean, with lovely friendly staff, a very warm and genuine welcome, two gracious and warm hosts, and the suite which we had was genuinely 5 star luxury. We can't comment with regards to the breakfast as we never once made it, due to being allowed to oversleep every morning - a lot of hotels make this impossible due to noisy cleaners, clanging doors etc, but it was bliss to have three mornings of luxurious over sleep! I must say though, that if the breakfast is as good as the welcome and the room, it will be wonderbar.
Super location, just a five minute stroll to the harbour (which you can see from the consevatory).
One of the things that we really appreciated was the lovely garden, that is a credit to the owner's hard work. It was lovely to relax in it, and even lovelier to sit out of a night on our own private terrace - a real boon for us, something we love to do yet so many hotels fail to offer this.
We were late checking out, and not a word was said, which was much appreciated. I believe that you get what you give in this life, and this hotel gave us a memorable, luxurious, and most importantly, happy holiday, and I must thank the owners for that. We badly needed this break due to family health issues, and it delivered on every claim made. THANK YOU - We will be back later in the year. Oh, and one of the owners recommended the rather excellent Sea Spray restaurant too - I can only echo this - another really friendly place, with super fresh fish."

• Travel date: Tue 26th of May 2009

First class holiday accommodation

Reviewed Thu 15th of November 2012

"My wife and I stayed here for several days. Very impressed with cleanliness, food and helpful nature of staff. Couldn't fault it in any way"

• Travel date: Wed 20th of May 2009

Tassle-tastic!

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"I loved this place, the decor is quirky yet stylish and there's always something interesting to look at. Our room was no exception and was clean and comfortable. The breakfasts were great, everyone was so friendly and nothing was too much trouble. I loved all the tassles hanging everywhere, someone else obviously shares my passion!!

Would highly recommend."

• Travel date: Tue 19th of May 2009

Small is Beautiful

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"The hotel is situated about a 1/3 of a mile from Torquay harbour. The owners are welcoming and obliging. The hotel and bedrooms are decorated to a very high standard - don't know how you would describe it - but a definite style, and everywhere is spotlessly clean. I think there are 11 rooms including singe(s). Breakfast is excellant with good choice and very generous, but they don't do dinner. There are however, a number of good restaurants in the area and somewhere to meet most tastes. Have stayed on a number of occasions and intend to continue to do so."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of April 2009