This hotel is now closed.

Hotels near The Palace Hotel

The Palace Hotel

Good

Check your bill before you leave

Reviewed 21st March 2011

"This hotel is huge, and was presumably, in it’s hey-day, very impressive, but today, it’s struggling for an identity. It’s just too far from the beach to be a family hotel, and doesn’t have a modern enough approach to appeal to business customers. I was in Torquay on a business trip with a colleague. Our company booked us into the Palace, which, from the description we were given, sounded fine. We arrived at about 7pm, really tired after a very early start followed by a 5-hour drive and a day at work. Check-in was fine, although they took the full fee off our credit cards straight away, which was a bit cheeky. Our first priority was food, so after a quick wash and brush up we went down to the near-empty restaurant where we were told in no uncertain terms that we couldn’t eat there, as we didn’t meet the dress code. I agree that people should be respectable when they turn up for dinner, and yes, we were in casual clothes, but we were clean and tidy, and certainly not scruffy. A very haughty headwaiter told us we could get food in the bar. As it turned out, we weren’t allowed to eat in the bar at all and were despatched to a deserted ante-room outside the bar, where the food was brought out to us (we still had to pay the full restaurant price of £29 each!). Needless to say we didn’t eat there again. As we were staying for a further 4 days, their attitude cost them 8 x £29 - £232 in lost income. After the meal I had to deal with some financial issues over the internet and went up to the room and my laptop. Problem number 2 – no internet in the rooms. What century are we in? I stayed at a £40 a night hotel recently and even that had internet in the rooms. So, back down to reception where I was told that there was a wi-fi service in some (not all) of the public areas of the ground floor. I didn’t really want to deal with business issues in a public area, but I had no choice and went back to the seated area we had eaten our meal, where I managed to get a connection. Good things about this hotel? The staff are polite and generally helpful. The rooms are warm and clean, albeit a bit small. The bathrooms are clean and spacious, although dated, with no shower cubicles, just a poor quality plastic showerhead hung over the bath and a curtain to pull around the bath. The maids are very efficient. Bad things about this hotel? Silly dress code in the restaurant, which is enforced even out of season when the hotel has few guests. Situated a long way from the seafront on a very busy, noisy road. No double-glazing. No internet in the rooms. To add insult to injury both my colleague and I had £29 added to each of our bills for meals we didn’t have, and a £5 “tray” charge for the meal we had in the ante-room on the first night! Verdict? This hotel is trying hard but if it wants to fill all those hundreds of rooms out of season with well-paying business customers, it’s got to modernise, and fast. I won’t be going back "

• Travel date: 18th March 2011

The Palace Hotel is a magnificent buildi...

Reviewed 9th July 2008

"The Palace Hotel is a magnificent building set on the edge of the Torquay seafront. I went the stay there as part of a company team building weekend and it was fantastic. The ground and facilities, not to mention the bar, helped us to have a really fun filled time. We went round their golf course, play tennis and went swimming most days. Sadly we had to have one or two conferences during the few days but everything else about the hotel made up for it. The rooms where comfortable and stylish with brilliant en-suite facilities. The restaurant was top class with amazing food every day. It is definitely a place I will bring my wife in the near future, I would suggest you do the same. "

• Travel date: 9th July 2008

The Palace Hotel is a quiet and majestic...

Reviewed 29th August 2007

"The Palace Hotel is a quiet and majestic step back in time and is very well presented, despite its age. Having read some earlier reviews on the hotel being 'tired' I have to agree, on the surface. The rooms were small, beds very uncomfortable and bathrooms too small to turn around in without bumping an elbow (one wonders how the corpulent population manages). The package of breakfast and dinner is very good value and the staff do their utmost to ensure everyone is overflowing by the end of a meal. I find it hard to fault the cheery, helpful and personal approach the dining and wait staff exhibit. They are without a doubt the asset of the Palace. Grounds are wonderfully kept, and the par 3 golf course is a brilliant challenge to hackers and want to be pros alike. The pool is well used and kept. The big downfall is the reception staff, whom could have been taken straight from the Immigration Desks at Heathrow. A less helpful, friendly or attentive group you'd be hard pressed to find in a day. Sorry, but this is an area of urgent attention and close management. Overall, The Palace is a beaut old place, sadly in need of major works to bring it to the pace of modern life, but its position, atmosphere and wait staff make it a wonderful relaxing holiday destination. "

• Travel date: 29th August 2007

Lovely setting

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"My partner and I have just got back from a great 4 days at the Palace Hotel. The location of the hotel is excellent - just outside Torquay but close to Babbicombe and several rocky beaches. The cliff top railway at Oddicombe is a must! Beautiful walks and scenery all around - ideal for exploring. The facilities at the hotel are very good. The pools and grounds are very well kept and we both thought the food, in particular the evening meal, was superb. The only downside is that the decor of the hotel is looking a bit tired - particularly the cocktail bar - but that would not stop me from recommending the hotel."

• Travel date: 4th August 2007

beautiful gardens and luxurious suite shame about the food.

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"I stayed in one of the executive suites overlooking the gardens, which i must say had the most beautiful view, one which i will remember forever. The suite was lovely, fresh fruit delivered daily from the housemaid and house keeping was excellent. Both me and my partner was disappointed with the food. Myself being intolerant to food, was impressed with the advertised 'cater for all dietary requirements' but came to find, this was not the case. After speaking directly to the restaurant manager with my orders' i had to send them back. My partner became very ill from the meals and we both decided our third and final night to just order dinner plates and cutlery to eat our ham salad from sainsbury's, which we both confess was our best meal and best night. The staff were very helpful. I did find that on the first day we were interupted an awful lot for the staff to finish there duties ie. housemaid, flower watering etc... We realised this was a hotel to use the do not disturb notices, as the door was opened by the staff without time for you to react. As we were near the lifts we did not sleep to well due to the loud noises all night. We both agreed there would and could be nothing to put a down on the holiday due to our recent engagement and it didnt. In other circumstances though i would probably question the star rating."

• Travel date: 6th April 2007

Update of My 9/19/05 Review

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"I stayed at The Palace Hotel again for two nights in mid-March. I found everything exactly as reported in my first review, except that there are now wireless internet routers in each of two lounges on the ground floor. Since my suite was on the first floor directly above one of the lounges, I had a clear signal in both rooms. However the service was very slow; I measured the download speed at around 100 kb/s on several occasions. I also discovered the flip side of the lack of A/C mentioned in my first review. Heating is provided solely by radiators, and I found it impossible to control the temperature within a reasonable range except by opening and closing windows from time to time."

• Travel date: 18th March 2007

Fantastic

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"My girlfriend and I recently stayed at the Palace for three nights in the first week of October following a personal recommendation from my brother (which contrasted greatly with some of the earlier reviews on this site). We were looking forward to a relaxing stay, in nice quiet surroundings but close enough to all the action of Torquay when we wanted it. Both my partner and I agreed that the hotel ticked all the right boxes and made a fantastic base from which to explore the much-publicised English Riviera. The room we booked was an ‘Executive’ overlooking the expansive gardens that also included a golf course. The views were superb and the gardeners have done a fantastic job in creating something almost sub-tropical! The French doors in our room opened out onto a patio, meaning we could take all this in whenever we wished. By night, it took on another dimension, lit up by lights and on a warm ‘Autumn’ evening was absolutely perfect for an after dinner stroll. The food was a good combination of modern British cooking with some classical, European touches. Highlights for us were the Brixham lemon sole, a sirloin steak that just melted in the mouth and nearly all the deserts. Background music was supplied by an unobtrusive piano player and together with some very good wine recommendations set the scene for several very enjoyable evenings. The bed was comfy, the room clean and spacious and the setting was truly relaxing. Just beyond the hotel lies the sea at Anstey’s Cove and several nice beaches. All in all I would definitely go back and would have no hesitation in recommending it to others. We also found the time to visit Cockington – a lovely chocolate box village, the superb Kent’s Cavern (fascinating underground caves) and to take a ride on the Paignton to Dartmouth Steam railway. The following week it was back to work as normal with a bump!!"

• Travel date: 16th November 2006

A very good short break

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"When we looked at hotels in Torquay we selected the Palace as being a reasonable bet. Our findings are as follows ....... Reception on arrival - Very good, efficient Room (simple double) - clean, refurbished recently and comfortable Bathroom - A little small, but very clean and adequate Bar - refurbished and o/k Restaurant for evening meal - very efficient, excellent staff, food was best value for money i have had in a long time. Restaurant for breakfast - again very good quality and a good start to the day. Hotel sum up - old yes, but a great place to stay (now). Grounds - a pleasure to walk round Would we stay again - yes we will !!!!!!!!!!!!!"

• Travel date: 7th October 2006

Lovely

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"Had a fantastic time at the Palace , food was excellent , staff where very helpful! had a beautiful room overlooking the garden , weather was lovely , it was perfect thankyou , will definatly come again."

• Travel date: 21st July 2006

disgrace

Reviewed 28th October 2012

"After travelling 8hours this hotel was a total let down.The room we were given was a total disgrace . The bed was near about to collaspe, the paper was peeling off the walls and the bathroom was a broom cupboard. The main public areas were ok and some rooms had been upgraded but we only received one of these after much complaining.The whole hotel needs updating and until this is done i feel that they should reduced there prices or close these rooms off until they have been upgraded."

• Travel date: 1st June 2006

what a shame

Reviewed 10th December 2012

"What a shame that such a beautifull grand hotel with fantastic grounds should have such shabby rooms and facilities. The rooms in this hotel are awful, they belong in a 1970s bed and breakfast. We saw a few rooms as we were part of a large group of people attending a conference weekend and most people had the same oppinion. We did see a room that had been renovated and my advice would be - change your decorators! The indoor pool area is very shabby and the pool itself was dirty and uninviting, although we did have a short swim but felt the need for a good shower afterwards. The "championship Golf course" is a bonus but I am afraid that it is more of a pitch and putt. The staff on reception could do with a lesson in manners and pleasantries but we could not fault the dining room staff. They worked very hard and were very efficient and the food was excellent. I don't think that I would recommend this Hotel, as it isn't cheap and as I said earlier the rooms were terrible."

• Travel date: 30th May 2006

Time Warp

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from a 3 night break at 'The Palace' where the quality of food and service in the restaurant is, as ever, very good, as is the ambiance of the public rooms. However the bedrooms are in dire need of updating. On arrival we were given rooms on the 3rd floor which were very basic but as we found out, lacked functioning heating. We were very swiftly (without fuss) allocated rooms that had a working heat supply and a garden view which came as a bonus and without the usual extra charge per person. The bathrooms (and the general plumbing) need a serious overhaul. The twin beds are single size and are most uncomfortable. The bedding consists of a sheet and 2 old fashioned bright orange blankets covered with a bed throw; no extra pillows or blankets are provided in the room. With room update and more comfortable beds we would return next year."

• Travel date: 19th February 2006

Hotels near The Palace Hotel

Top traveller tips for The Palace Hotel

• by kartdemon

"Nothing like how it comes across on the website"

The Palace Hotel is also called