Good for short stay

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"Found owners to be very friendly. Our room was quite roomy and clean. Our en-suite shower had very little water pressure so it took a while to wash off soap. Tea, coffee and hot chocolate provided, but all unknown brands. Small tubs of skimmed milk only provided, but did not use as we really do not like skimmed milk. Fresh milk could be provided, but at a charge, which seemed very unusual. Biscuits not very good as they were the very thin, free ones often given with cups of coffee. The beds were very comfortable. Breakfast was okay although the sausages had a very peculiar taste and seemed to be of quite cheap quality. Quite a good choice of food though. The only slight drawback was that breakfast was only available from 08.30 to 09.30 daily and if you wanted it earlier or later there was an extra charge. There is parking, but it can be tight and if you park beneath the trees then there is a good chance of your car being covered in tree sap at the end of your stay. Fairly quiet and handy location for the sea and town centre if you do not mind a walk of around twenty-five minutes. It sounded as though there was some sort of DIY work going on until about 10 pm when we were there. Do not want to be unkind to the owners, but money does need spending on curtains which are not wide enough to fully close in the bedrooms. In summary, then not quite as good as led to believe in hotel's own description."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of June 2009

Nice hotel away from the hustle and bustle

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"Nice quiet hotel well away from the hustle and bustle of the centre. Room was fairly basic but comfortable. Breakfast was very nice. Car park is quite small."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of June 2009

Excellent family hotel & location

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Lovely tradition hotel, exceptionally clean & comfortable with a good breakfast. We had a large double room, high ceilinged with cool box & kettle etc. Our family covered 3 generations & suited us all very well. Situated in Torquay town centre with good access to everywhere & yet so quiet! I fully recommend it."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of May 2009

human touch

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"my wife, grandson and i have just spent three days at hotel iona, which is ideally located in a quiet side street. handy for walking ino town, but also a good starting point for driving into the surrounding area..

we could have checked into the bland travelodge up the road but we would have missed the warm welcome given by roy and mareta to all their guests who can arrive as strangers and leave as friends. many have returned as friends and guests.

hotel iona offers recently upgraded rooms,, good meals served in the bright conservatory, and a warm welcome assured when one arrives back from a day out.

roy is a charming host, whose evident love of life, is illustrated in his easy conversation.
where else can one enjoy the bonus of a drink poured by a guy who knows the area inside out, knows his football, and if pressed can tell tales of his time as a rock musician and raodie?. just don't be tempted to keep the poor guy up talking too late. he doesn't mind, but he will be up bright and early to have that tempting full english on your plate.

we will be back"

• Travel date: Thu 26th of March 2009

Great Getaway

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"Enjoyed our weekend, the food was excellent, a nice cooked breakfast in the morning.
The rooms well decorated and comfortable and also very clean.
Good location, very quiet and walking distance to the centre of town.
Family very friendly and helpful - nothing was too much of a problem. Would recommend this hotel to our friends and we will hopefully return in the future."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of January 2009

Hotel Iona a pure delight

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"Just returned from a half term break with my son Jack. We stayed at the Hotel Iona in Devon and what a delight, perfectly located in a quiet residential part of the town. The room was of a very high standard and immaculately clean, food was delicious which made it encouraging to eat in rather than eat out, especially with a young child. The whole atmosphere of this family run hotel was warm and welcoming, Roy and Marita were very friendly and their children were a delight and of course not forgetting their family dog, chip. My son became friends with their younger son Frazer and we were even made welcome to go along trick and treating with them for halloween, which Jack loved. I know we will return to the Hotel Iona and Jack and I look forward to it very much."

• Travel date: Mon 10th of November 2008

a true family hotel

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"A family run hotel where nothing is too much.A quiet area but not too far away from the see front and has puds and resturants close by"

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of November 2008

A jewel in the crown

Reviewed Wed 14th of November 2012

"We stayed for 3 nights in room 1,on arrival we were surprised by the quiet location.The owners greeting was warm and welcoming ,upon entering our room we were immeditley impressed by the cleanliness and decor,during our stay the service given was brilliant,nothing was too much trouble without being intrusive.The hotel Iona is a jewel in Torquays crown,we will definitely be staying again.
Tony&Terena Clark
Middx,UK."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of October 2008

Hotel Iona one of the best B&B's in Torquay

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"I went to Torquay for a wedding and stayed at Hotel Iona which I found on the web www.hoteliona.co.uk. There site was really nice and detailed showing pictures of the bedrooms, there facilities and most importantly the price per night.

I just have to say that it is actually a B&B rather than a Hotel and one of the best B&B’s I’ve stayed at.

Hotel Iona is a stunning large white Victorian Building (like the ones in Notting Hill) with its own car park surrounded by green palm trees. I stayed in a very large bedroom with high ceilings and big windows and I still can’t get over how nice it was for the price. The bathroom was spotless and roomy with white tiles and a shower and bath and came with everything you need.

The Hotel is run by a family, I only met owner and his little dog who was there to greet me although I was two hours late (due to motorway traffic) and they were so nice, they even offered me a Bar meal as I was too late to go out for dinner.

The owner also opened the bar for me so I could have a drink with my bar snack and told me about some lovely secret spots to visit. Torquay beach was only a 5 minuets walk away (or quicker as I always have a morning jog) and you go straight through the park to get to the beach which was a nice surprise. I looked in on the Botanical Green houses (part of the park) on the way back to the hotel.

Some of my friends stayed in another B&B down the road which was awful with tired rooms, grubby and it cost more just because it was nearer to the beach and when they saw where I was staying they were quite envious as it was only another 3 minuet walk away.

I will defiantly come and stay again and I think I would come down for a long weekend in the future to visit some of those secret bits only Locals know about."

• Travel date: Wed 30th of July 2008