Good

New year weekend

Good
Reviewed 7th April 2018

"We had an amazing weekend for new year hotel staff so helpful food was very good hotel and nightclub beautiful rooms clean and comfy enjoyed it so much we going back in april thanku to all staff for our wonderful new year"

• Travel date: 2nd January 2017

Don't waste your money go somewhere else

Reviewed 27th July 2016

"We stayed here for 1 night we was in room 202 we had a room right underneath the restaurant the noise was dreadful we got bk to our after being out all day we wanted half hour peace but what we got was the noise from the restaurant so we went bk out we went bk at 8.30 pm and settle down for the night at 2.20 am while we was a sleep someone entered our room put the light on realized they had wrong room they put the light out and left our room but slammed our door shut then we did not sleep properly and also over night someone was in the restaurant banging about worst night ever we went away for one night for our wedding anniversary no kids will never ever go bk to the hotel what a disgrace."

• Travel date: 24th July 2016

Don't stay in this Hotel

Reviewed 29th May 2015

"I booked with booking .com wish I had not.. The Hotel room was dirty , unsafe , rusty old radiators , the view was a disused swimming pool overgrown I refused to stay the night Not even one star in my view they need to be shut down Very cross.."

• Travel date: 29th May 2015

Don't expect to feel safe in this hotel

Reviewed 10th September 2013

"We stayed for 2 nights with our 91 year old disabled mother. The rooms were old and tired except for the new disabled shower in Mum's room, however Mum's room was broken into whilst we were downstairs having had our evening meal.Management take no responsibility for your possessions (no safe in rooms)and if you are unfortunate to have your room broken into and possessions taken you have to contact the police yourself. The manager explained that he was unable to distinguish between residents (who he said could be burglars on holiday) and people coming in off the street! I suggest the excellent chefs find somewhere better to work."

• Travel date: 4th September 2013

hurriffic hell

Reviewed 2nd July 2012

"Oh my god, I don't know where to start how is this hotel managing not to get shut down,dirty stained carpets, rottern windows, crumbling ceilings, wet dripping walls from the bathroom above and the list carries on, this is not a hotel it is a flithy crumbling disgrace it should come with a health warning, there are over 200 foreign language students who stay in the summer months and then it becomes a scruffy youth hostel please please stay away"

• Travel date: 2nd July 2012

For your own Health & Safety, don't go here

Reviewed 3rd August 2011

"Stayed here yesterday and have to say that this place really is falling apart and I can't imagine for the life of me how this place hasn't got inspected by a Health & Safety official and got seriously reprimanded.Simply pushed a button on the lift within seconds of arriving and the whole panel and wiring fell off! exposing all the wires. Room was just disgusting and filthy with stains on the curtains of god knows what, dirty floors and a shower pane that was hanging by a thread across the bath, what infuriated me was that the shower pane had obviously had attempts at resolving .....by continously applying globules of sealant to it as if it was glue? Picked up the bin lid in the bathroom to put something in it, it actually just came off! with a nasty bent wire attached with it (great for kids to find!!). Toilet flush barely worked, shower only worked with the bath running, no air conditioning, so seriously hot in the room. A tatty, dirty place and not to my standard at all (cleanliness and safety in a hotel room is tops for me, other things I can mildly tolerate - bad food, service slow etc) What is also quite naughty that I noticed when visiting the reception area, is that they have obviously spent a bit more effort and money on the entrance and reception /lounge area but nothing has been spent on re-furbishing what's important - the rooms your guests actually stay in! Seriously, if you have kids (especially little curious ones) don't go here, it's an accident waiting to happen. Uh actually, if you don't have kids I wouldn't reccommend going here either. Worst hotel I've stayed in, just glad it was for just one night! God knows what other 'gremlins' we would have discovered we had stayed longer."

• Travel date: 31st July 2011

dont even think about it

Reviewed 5th October 2011

"the worst holiday ever the rooms are so tacky and the servics is the worst all i could see from my window is a dramp horrible tennis court i will never ever go there we spent half our time outside bettter off sleeping in the streets!"

• Travel date: 23rd July 2011

you get what you pay for!!

Reviewed 4th March 2011

"After reading some reviews, my husband and I were dreading our three night stay as we were staying there because we were trading at the Psychic Fair at the Leisure Centre. Now, I have to admit that the room we had was very tired and seriously needed some TLC in that wallpaper was torn, odd tiles in the bathroom, window sills in a poor state and loo had a crack in as well...BUT it was clean, as was the bed linen and the towels. It was warm, (very important for me!)and the beds were ok. The staff were lovely and the food was excellent considering the price we were paying! Plenty of choice, hot and very well cooked. After all, we were only paying £20 per night each for dinner, bed and breakfast on a deal, so I thought the value was outstanding! Yes..it certainly is not all glitz and glamour, yes...it does need a refurb....but I had a good time and the guy who sang on the Saturday night, Craig Northway, was absolutely fantastic. His renditions of songs from West End Shows was as good, if not better than I have heard from well known professionals! Why he hasn't been "discovered" yet is beyond me. The young chap is fabulous! I would say, you don't go there if you expect high class luxury, but for cheap, cheerful and clean you can't go far wrong! "

• Travel date: 28th February 2011

Not a bad stay

Reviewed 7th January 2011

"My Wife and myself and two friends stayed at the Rainbow International in Torquay on the 22nd December until the 30th December, from the moment we arrived we were greeted warmly by the reception staff and without undue fuss were booked in, our car was down the other end of the car park but we were told a porter would walk back with us to get our cases, but he wasn’t needed as I managed to get outside the front door. Dinner was at 6pm and we went down just after, the food was well cooked and well presented help yourself to as much as you want roast meats that melted in your mouth several choices and various vegetables lots of puddings and cheese and biscuits and this happened everyday during our stay, with fish dishes rice and Tai food, meat pie Roast pots, boiled new pots, peas, carrots,brussels, parsnips,green beans. The room on the 4th floor was adequate with TV, coffee and tea making facilities although at first it was cold but it was minus 6 degrees outside we soon put another blanket on the bed. The room looked like it had been refurbished with quite new bathroom furniture and nice white fluffy towels, but missing in the bathroom was a shelf to stand your nick nacks on also there was not a hook to hang a bathrobe on and no stool. We found the hotel quiet and could not hear other people in other rooms and the place was full. The entertainment was basic with bingo and a quiz which is not to every ones likes. Presents were given to all the children by Father Christmas. Our room was cleaned every day by a very pleasant lady. The only bar open was hard to find as it was downstairs in the main lounge and when you looked in two other bars were shut but the drinks prices were not dear by hotel standards. Taken all round we enjoyed our stay there and would go again "

• Travel date: 5th January 2011

Don`t stay here

Reviewed 6th January 2011

"Stayed here for one night on new year's eve after looking at the hotel's website. First impression was of a very dated shabby hotel, not one bit like the impression it gives on the website. Room was awful - towels stained, bathroom dirty, window rotten. Asked if this was the standard of all the rooms and was told it was. However, a very helpful lady at reception showed us a room which had just been decorated, was clean and about three times the size of the room we were allocated - so we took it! Dinner was advertised on the website as 4 course - what it didn't mention was that it was a help yourself dinner and that the 4th course was tea or coffee. The vegetarian option was advertised as 'imaginative' - well this turned out to be nut roast! (How imaginative is that?) The cabaret was OK - what we didn't expect was the bingo beforehand. There were several coach parties here, mainly older people. The swimming pool wasn't particularly warm and the changing rooms grim - no lockers and one shower (which I couldn't get any hot water out of). All in all, very disappointing. Don't be taken in by their website!"

• Travel date: 4th January 2011

1970's dirty time warp hotel

Reviewed 27th September 2010

"We were really worried after reading the reviews so were prepared for what we found. Immediately asked for room to be changed and were given a marginaly better room. First room on ground floor with bare light bulbs, damp ceiling and broken window. On the plus side believe it or not the food and service was good."

• Travel date: 26th September 2010

Whats the matter with our english hotels

Reviewed 17th August 2010

"It's every time we seem to go away in the UK. The English are just miserable and have no interest in the fact that they are running a hotel and in the hospitality trade. Look I understand you only get what your pay for but the Rainbow is dirty, nothing sees to work in the rooms, the decor is down right dated, torn and falling apart, looks very tired and the staff just stand around looking miserable, bored and don't want to do anything. I think the owners of this place must be very much the same as the rest of the place. My wife and I said we would have this place ship shape and friendly within no time. It's in a great location and could be made into a very nice place to stay. I would not go again and would not recommend it to anyone. Sorry but the people who work there and run it should go get a job that suits them because the hotel trade is light years away from their true vocation. Some people would be grateful of a job and an opportunity to create a great place to stay. This unfortunately is not either. Rainbow hotel you ought to be ashamed of yourselves...."

• Travel date: 17th August 2010
  • ...

Hotels near Riviera Hotel

Top traveller tips for Riviera Hotel

• by Heather T

"U get what u pay for was well impressed"

• by Allison G

"Don't waste your money go somewhere else "

• by robby

"book somewhere else in torquay"

• by SouthCoastCple

"Dartmouth half a day, Brixham same day."

• by mcjools

"Paignton, Fair, Kistor Hotel"

• by lindsmc1

"Lovely location, try the Hi-Flyer in the park at bottom of the road."

• by Pattison

"Eden Project Lost Gardens"

• by Lynch

"Babbacombe on our last day"

• by Magpieok

"Babbacombe is worth a visit for the views and restaurants and their theatre is lovely - no bar"

• by stu1300

"there is better but its ok"

• by angelk00