About Premier Inn Torquay Hotel

• paid internet

Good

Most disgusting hotel I have ever stayed in and poor service. Disinterested Customer services.

Reviewed Thu 12th of April 2018

"If considering this hotel - stop and book elsewhere now. I have stayed in many hotels chains uk and worldwide and this is probably the worst hotel I have had the misfortune to stay in anywhere. From Staff attitude at check in and check out, to room cleanliness and not to mention the lack of parking.

Parking situation: We arrived at the hotel and wanted to park in order to check in, the car park was full and so we decided to wait in the car for a few minutes until someone leaves. Half an hour later we gave up and my partner went inside the hotel to enquire about the parking situation. The response was to use the council car park to the rear of the hotel which has an overnight charge of £5. When asked for some change in order to pay for the parking the response was to go an queue at the Beefeater pub. The pub was full and there was a long queue of customers waiting to order at the bar, so eventually we just left the premises and drove around the area of the hotel and were eventually able to find street parking half a mile up the road.

Unclean Room - it was very old, small and musty: Once we got checked in (in itself a sarcastic experience from a more 'experienced' member of staff) we were allocated (Room No. 112). On first entering our room it looked tired and had a musty odour. The floor was very uneven and extremely creaky. We also noticed an oily round head/hair stain on the leather headboard and immediately decided to clean it. To our disgust, on wiping the headboard the disposable wipe was full of dirt and oil.

I went into the bathroom to wash my hands only to discover that the hand towel was also dirty with stains. The bathroom floor was no better than the bedroom and was uneven and creaky all over.
It is obvious that the property is an old building and some quirkiness is expected, but this was a joke, even the location of the room was an indication that it was a converted broom cupboard or a storage unit. Even the lift doors of the hotel had streaks of dirt all over, and this you see on the way to the room. And they say first impression count!
The mattress was old and uncomfortable and the air conditioning motors outside the window hummed all night long. Needless to say, we hardly had any sleep and could not wait to leave the premises. I mentioned my disappointment to the young receptionist on our departure to which she did not respond my and did not even ask me for anymore information or the room number. Obviously not even concerned to fix things for future guests. I would guess they perhaps hear it a lot from her attitude.

Premier inn's response: The following night we were staying at another Premier inn in Devon. We told the receptionist there about our experience in Torquay and she apologised on their behalf! She advised we to write to Premier inn customer services to explain and that they should be able to do something for us. However she omitted to tell us this needs to be done within 7 days. Their customer service response is to apologise and to remind you of the 7 days - even though I was not verbally told this !! Customer services seems keen to keep using this as their get out clause! Had I have been told this when been told to write in, then I would have done so, as I was only acting on what a member of staff had instructed me to do. I do feel we should have been informed of this, especially at the hotel in question as the receptionist herself never even acknowledge my complaint on check out or told me of any premier inn policy, despite the fact I told them standing right infront of them!!. Its insulting that customer services; as they call themselves then throw this back in your face, Obviously with pre-scripted responses. I wrote and responded to their comments back to me and yet they did nothing to try and accommodate other than to apologise for the lack of training of their staff for not advising us about the 7 day policy and still refused to over ride their original outcome. In effect, I suffered for their lack of staff training! So much for their “Good night guarantee” and hygiene standards.
In the past 2 months alone I used Premier inn 4 times, 3 of which were sub standard, but this stay warranted a full complaint. I will never book a Premier inn again. Holiday inn Express offer a far cleaner, and polite experience, and even include breakfast in the price. I'll look for them wherever possible instead."

• Travel date: Thu 1st of February 2018

3* should be 5*

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"I came down to Torquay for a relaxing break with my husband before our 1st child was born which is not too far away!

The minute my husband surprised me with a break away I was curious where he was going to take me. I knew it couldn't be abroad, so where would it be?

We drove into the Belgrave Hotel car park and was really excited as the hotel was right on the sea front.

Walking into the reception area, I looked round and felt really homely straight away. The receptionist had a lovely warm smile and checked us in straight away and called for a porter. She commented on my bump and asked if I would like to take a seat while we wait for the porter. Before i could say yes, the porter was right there taking bags of my husband! Very efficient - don't you think!

We walked into our double sea facing room and it was spacious and the decor was very tastful. I headed straight for the bed to put my feet up.

Being sceptical I was waiting for something not be right, but what would it be!!

After a little rest we were due to go down to dinner. The restaurant staff were very friendly and knew exactly what I shouldn't be eating off the menu due to being pregnant. They even said that they would ask the chef to change some dishes for me so I didn't go without.

We got home this morning and we still can't stop talking about how nice our trip was and how relaxed it made us feel.

I would recommend this hotel to all ages as there were lots of people in the bar that were of different ages and all looked like they were having a nice time."

• Travel date: Tue 22nd of January 2008

tween Break

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We stayed at this hotel between Xmas & the New Year 2006 as part of a large party from the West Midlands & have booked again with our organiser for this year. The food, the service, the accomodation were all first class. We would recommend this hotel to anyone."

• Travel date: Fri 16th of November 2007

Very warm and friendly service, good foo...

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2007

"Very warm and friendly service, good food - very relaxing.

Room was very clean, well laid out, very up to date. Lifts to all floors with no stairs (for those of us that cannot easily accommodate stairs, this was a plus).

Staff could not do enough to be of assistance.

More than good value for money. Room was very clean, well laid out - Excellent!

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of October 2007

NICE hotel, pity about the temperature

Reviewed Wed 12th of December 2012

"stayed for a week end in June 2007
food good and service excellent - although rates are on the high side

Although a sunny week end not that hot (about 22c)
rooms on 2nd floor ,however , were unacceptably warm- they need to do something about the corridors ventilation, I think thats the reason all the rooms had fans !

also functions on the saturday excluded guests from the main bar /lounge which is a most attractive public room with fabulous views.

great position and access to town and harbour."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of June 2007

We have stayed in the Belgrave twice now...

Reviewed Wed 13th of June 2007

"We have stayed in the Belgrave twice now, and have nothing but high regards for the hotel and its staff.
By coincidence, the hotel was being decorated both times we stayed, and its good to know the people in charge of this don’t rest on their laurels, unlike a certain former 5 star hotel in Torquay we have stayed at in the past, which at the time of our visit, was way past its sell by date!

We would definitely recommend it to others, and would obviously stay again.

• Travel date: Wed 13th of June 2007

Loved The Belgrave

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"The staff made me feel special, the food was traditional, tasty and well cooked. My room was decorated with sensitivity to the period of its build was clean and comfortable. This a hotel that doesn’t charge for car parking and miraculously, for a seafront position, has plenty of it!"

• Travel date: Sat 17th of March 2007

Clean, fairly well kept. Only down side,...

Reviewed Mon 12th of March 2007

"Clean, fairly well kept. Only down side, the evening meal was not up to much. We only dined there one night.

Pool not very big. A good view from most rooms, ideal position.

Good parking space for cars. Would stay again."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of March 2007

Hotel with (positive) attitude

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"We stayed here on a Twixmas break as a special deal with a large group of friends, definitely not a coach party, all there was one coach in attendance, occasionally hogging the main entrance to the hotel.

Practically all the party enjoyed the stay at this hotel, the first time we had stayed there, in fact I do not think we heard any negative comments.We are returning for the same period in 2007.

The staff were extremely welcoming and very friendly without being inefficient or "matey". Mostly the restaurant staff were fast, accurate with orders and efficient, we did have one instance where the young man involved seemed to think the job description of "waiter" entailed that duty exactly. He always seemed to be waiting somewhere else, not where he was needed.

The food was acceptable, all of it was edible and fairly tasty but cordon bleu it isn't. We have had better but one could easily do a whole lot worse. There were ample choices at breakfast and dinner and quality did depend on your choice.

On our first day there was a free cocktail party,on the second a free home made "snow storm", on the third day we were given a free slice Yule log and tea in the afternoon.

My wife and I upgraded to a larger room, which was more than adequate even though we travel with quite a few change of clothes, as we danced every night in the excellent Hotel Ballroom. One has to remember this is a Victorian Hotel and it is decorated and furnished as such, don't expect boutique or minimalist here. It is however extremely clean and well presented, no torn wallpaper or damaged paintwork, However maintenance in such hotels is a problem and they will have to work hard to keep on top of the work. In fact, now I think of it, they could do with a new lift rightaway. The current one is so slow you could write your will in it going up or down. Internet is free however.

We did not pay full rate, we had no complaints, we ate all our food, we slept well and everything worked, it is close to town and beach, you can park comfortably and free, what are you waiting for!"

• Travel date: Fri 5th of January 2007

Expensive for what it was

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"Booked in here for three nights as very convenient to a Conference at the Riviera Centre. Lovely situation right on the seafront.

Compared to other stays at home and abroad, thought it was very expensive for what it offered. Had a superior room with sea view which was spacious enough, but decor was old-fashioned and the whole hotel seemed more suited to the bus tour trade. Didn't have dinner here, only breakfast which unusually was not a buffet, but only average.

Agree the hotel was much too hot - even on the first floor when you came out of the lift, you couldn't see a radiator, but it was stifling in November.

Must be better value elsewhere, even though we were supposed to be on a "Special Conference Rate", which was £76 per person per night bed and breakfast, ie total £456 for two for 3 nights."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of December 2006

Good Base

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"Ideal stop for a weekend
Close enough to shops & restaurants
Not much activity in hotel
Friendly staff
Room 5 is very basic and needs a make over
Fresh towels on request
Breakfast excellent
Bar lunch - not much of a variety"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of June 2006

Handy location

Reviewed Sat 22nd of December 2012

"I stayed here for three nights whilst at a conference at the Riveria Centre in February 2006.

Probably the best thing about the Belgrave is it's location, right on the seafront with the beach just across the main road and next door to the lovely Abbey park. Lots of good walks are possible, harbour is only 10 minutes away. It is also only a 5 minute walk to the Riveria Centre, which has a good indoor swimming pool and gym as well as normal conference facilities.

There is a large free hotel car park although this probably gets really busy in the summer as it is so close to the beach.

The rooms are large and confortable although a bit dated in decor. My only complaint was that I couldn't charge my phone as there is a silly wooden bar immediatly under the plug socket and charger was too long to fit neatly. However, the good news is that wireless internet is free, ask reception for the password. No silly £6 charge per hour here as in most hotels. Reception does vary, some rooms get a better signal than others.

There are two bars, the main bar looks out over the sea with large picture windows. Staff were very friendly and helpful although service in the restaurant was a little slow at times. Breakfast was fine, although one person on my table who asked for beans on toast got a sea of beans with a soggy lump of toast hidden under the sea, subtle not! Food was mostly satisfactory but not brilliant, depends on what you expect really from a 3 star hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 6th of March 2006