About Lincombe Hall Hotel

• fax photocopying
  • french amenities
  • outdoor furniture
  • shared lounge tv area
  • sun loungers beach chairs
  • sun umbrellas
  • evening entertainment
  • adults only amenities

Lovely Stay

Reviewed Thu 28th of March 2013

"Booked a last minute 3 night special and having stayed 2 years ago, we were looking forward to returning to see the much needed changes. I have to say we were not disappointed. The whole hotel is clean, tidy and has still kept the nice friendly atmosphere. Food was delicious especially breakfast plus you have so much choice. The bar, outdoor pool and new jacuzzi are great and the corridors and lounges are now much brighter having obviously been redecorated . We didnt stay in a refurbished room but the room we had was light,clean, the bed was comfy, and even though we had no "view" from our window it didnt bother us as we didnt go away to spend all our time looking out of bedroom windows anyway!!! All of the staff were friendly and very helpful. Im about to rebook to go again in October."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of August 2010

Good value - a good base to explore the area

Reviewed Mon 1st of April 2013

"This is the first of these I have written. It seems some people like to complain about everything! I will try and give an objective review that is most use to others.
Firstly the location is very good. A few minutes walk down the hill and you in the harbour area, the shopping area and even clubs/bars if you like that sort of thing. My partner and I went to the Mambo on Saturday night and it was good dancing evening loud but not ear splittingly loud.
We booked late (the day we set off!) and got a good deal of dinner bed and breakfast for 3 nights for £250. The room was second floor up some steep steps but adequate. Nothing special but the bathroom was clean and quite large. The bed was comfortable and the curtains OK. There is an ironing room with board and iron on the first floor which was useful. They have a "Cinema" in which they show a film every night and also live entertainment, which is usually an aging keyboard player playing easy listening music, but at least they are trying and noone forces you to listen! Nothing wrong with the sofas either, despite what one person said! The bar is open 24 hours. The grounds are pleasant and there is an outside pool and jacuzzi, which we did not go in. The pool is not large and only 4 feet deep at the deep end so aimed mostly at kids. There is a nice view over the sea from the gardens, the dining room and no doubt from the rooms at the front. (Ours was at the back with a view of the roofs and car park, but we booked late and we weren't bothered anyway).
The breakfast is good. Just standard hotel breakfast of juices, yoghurts, fruits, cereals, bacon, egg, sausage, tomato etc. Especially the fried bread - I only eat it in hotels but this was good! All hot and plenty of it even towards the end of the stated times.
The dinner menu is the same every day but with a soup of the day, a fish dish of the day and a hot sweet of the day, so you can always get something different (I like fish anyway). It was served in good time, perfectly edible without being haute cuisine, and was hot. The vegetables are served hot and are average but not exciting, unlike others above who have complained so much. Service was good, with some pleasant young people, especially a young man who had moved down from Grimsby.
Overall I would say it is a perfectly acceptable place to use as a base to explore the area. There was nothing wrong and plenty right about it. I would happily go again."

• Travel date: Tue 10th of August 2010

Thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Reviewed Sat 30th of March 2013

"We stayed at the hotel for 7 nights on half board and thoroughly enjoyed our stay and had no complaints with the hotel and the food in all aspects was excellent al served hot with a nice variety of choice. You would be hard pushed to find a hotel with facilities of indoor, outdoor pool and tennis courts on half board for the price paid, I know beecause we looked around before booking. The staff were very friendly and hard working and the owners seem to be moving the hotel towards a great improvement since taking over the hotel. The only complaint we had was the noise from the delivery vans and dustbin men so I would recommend you have a superior room at the front of the hotel overlooking the gardens. At times was very hard to park the car through so few parking spaces for size of hotel and number of rooms but this wasnt helped by inconsiderate people taking 2 bays by parking poorly."

• Travel date: Mon 9th of August 2010

"Unhappy"

Reviewed Wed 3rd of April 2013

"Having spent Easter at Lincombe Hall,which we enjoyed thoroughly I booked up our summer holiday, at the cost of £2,000, on arrival we were greeted by the receptionist and ignored by the owner having walked past us three times. who was also on the tennis courts with his children as we were in the downstairs verandah rooms, no acknowledgement whatsoever. When we booked in April we were told there would a shortage of rooms in August unless we booked early and therefore decided to book there and then only to check the website a month later to find that children under the age of 15 were being charged £10 per night and we ended up paying £175 for our grandson who is 14 years old but were not offered that deal on arrival. My daughter was also charged £150 suppliment for being single, but it also stated that there were a few rooms where you could pay a single suppliment. We were not offered one of these rooms for her.

The owners wife is very pleasant and said nice to see you again, the new "manager" is very rude and unprofessional calling me her love and her sweetheart, of which i promptly told her "i wasnt ". this was on our last evening that we were there. She has been in most days since we arrived but never acknowledged us at all, some manager she is, then had the cheek to talk about me when i walked away and my daughter heard her.

We went to the bar every evening before dinner to get a drink, the prices changed every time, i had lime and lemonade and was told that they couldn't fill the glass up to the top as it would have taken it up to over half a pint, well i would have willing given the extra to take it up to the top of the glass.

The bathroom was very cramped. You cannot get the right temperature in the shower, and had to get a soaking first before you even got in it. We were told in April that there would be new power showers put in there and nothing had changed from when we looked at the rooms in April.

The food seemed to be very boring. Chicken was on the menu at least 3 times in the week we were there. The hot steamed puddings were never hot and nor was the custard. The vegetables were hard, cold and tastless. We can't fault the breakfast in the mornings or the people who served us in the dining room."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of August 2010

NEVER again

Reviewed Tue 26th of March 2013

"We have come to this hotel before and understood that it had a new owner. The new owner is ignorant. There is not enough parking, maybe they should demolish the tennis court that wasn't used throughout our whole stay. Staff are friendly enough with an exception of the "manager" who likes to refer to people as "love" or "darling" which seems very unprofessional. Food quality is excellent although instead of building a hot tub maybe they should have invested in some cuttlery as the ones they have couldn't cut butter.

The rooms are apparently refurbished, although I think this is another word for "bodged". Before you can have a shower, you will need to get a good soaking and then wait for at least half an hour for the water to warm up so you can finally get in it, thats if you can find the right temperature as its either freezing cold or scorching hot.

Drinks prices at this hotel are beyond a joke. It's cheaper to walk into town and get a drink. They are doing themselves no favours by charging extortionate prices for alcohol.

The noise in this hotel is terrible, with creeky floor boards and people running up and down the landings, slamming doors and generally no consideration for other people.

The only plus side to this hotel are the staff who are all pleasant and helpful."

• Travel date: Fri 6th of August 2010

Very enjoyable stay, clean, confortable, good value and felt very well looked after.

Reviewed Fri 5th of April 2013

"We went down to Torquay for three days and decided to try this place as it was under new management. Very pleased. The room was perfect, clean and quiet and a nice size. Lounge was spacy and pleasant - nice to spend the late afternoon with cofee and cakes. Evening meal was also very good - choice was good as was the service. Really pleased with the two pools! Only complaint really, was rain on the wednesday. Would definitly reccommend."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of August 2010

FANTASTIC

Reviewed Sat 6th of April 2013

"We have just spent a week at the Lincombe Hall with our 2 children aged 12 & 15.

We were welcomed immediately by all the staff at Lincombe Hall who continued to do everything within their powers to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable.

This Hotel is very well situated for exploring Devon and is only a couple of minutes walk into the town centre or down to the Harbour and Beaches.

My children loved the fantastic new swimming pool and jacuzzi whilst we enjoyed fabulous coffee served on the lovely sunny patio with views over the beautiful gardens.

The food was great and was clearly homemade and not out of a packet, this Hotel offers the best breakfast I have eaten in a long time!!!

Good luck to the new owners who took the time to tell us of all the changes that they have made so far and their wonderful plans for the Hotel. We will definately be back!!

Overall this Hotel is excellent value for money and actually cost us less than a self catering cottage last year!!!!."

• Travel date: Thu 5th of August 2010

Worse hotel I have stayed in and got offered a bottle of wine!!!!!

Reviewed Mon 25th of March 2013

"To the Manager
I stayed at your hotel last night. (31st July 2010)
I stayed in room number 11. The room absolutly stank of smoke and 3 times before 9.30am (this morning) the maids knocked on the room. Each time we said we were sleeping. As they woke us up each time on the 3rd time we decided to get out of bed. Just as we got up , one of the maids just walked into our room. Me and my boyfried had no clothes on as we were getting changed to leave so we were stood in the room naked. Imagine the humiiation!!!!!
Not only did they knock on our room 3 times early this monrning they were so nosiy cleaning the room next door we might as well have got up and left after the first time.
I do not expect this service. We paid £** to stay there the night, in a room that smelt so strongly of smoke that all my clothes stank, the maids kept knocking on our door (obviously wanting to get us out!) then one just walked in!!!!!

One your website you say "the very best of service from one of the resort's finest hotels" I definatley did not experience this!!!
Regards
The manager response - I asked the maids and they said they did not keep knocking on your room and one of them did not just walk in!!! REALLY!!!!!!"

• Travel date: Tue 3rd of August 2010

Would definitely return, Wonderful Hotel!!!!

Reviewed Thu 4th of April 2013

"We have had the pleasure of staying at this hotel 3 times in the last 18 months since the new owners took over. We can honestly say that the Hotel is improving every time we visit and the refurbishments are exceptional, especially the outdoor pool and terrace. We can't understand the last 2 reviews, we have always found the hotel to be clean, very friendly and good value for money.
The food is second to none! We have eaten at various times of the morning and evening and always had exceptional meals. The choice of menu and quality of food is comparable with many top restaurants. The surroundings are beautiful and the staff go out of their way to make your stay relaxed and enjoyable.
Hope to visit again soon, keep up the good work everyone and we look forward to seeing even more improvements on an already wonderful hotel."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of July 2010

Disappoined somewhat!

Reviewed Sun 7th of April 2013

"Stayed for 4 nights on a pay for 3 get fourth one free basis, earlier this month. When we rang we were told they only had a standard room available, which we accepted.We had stayed previosly in a superior room, a few years ago. We read the web page and were impressed by the refurbishments so decided to go again. The room was basic, which I can live with but it was not very clean.....there were cobwebs hanging from the ceiling and they stayed there for the whole 4 days!!!! The curtains were stained with mould patches......Also the carpet was full of bits when we got there, obviously not been hoovered.The bathroom /bedroom had ledges that were caked in dust when we got there and didnt get cleaned either! The shower smelt disgusting and was mouldy on the inside seals............not pleasant at all. We were in room 10 on the 2nd floor at the back of the hotel, beware every morning at 6am the rubbish men collect the rubbish and then the deliveries start from 7am.....so be ready for early mornings! We booked our evening meals at 8pm as there was a coach party staying and they booked the earlier slots every night, so some nights the food was gone and we had to have choices we probably wouldnt have chosen! The same at breakfast.The evening entertainment was ideal if you wanted to be sent to sleep....."same old same old" comes to mind really.......only one nights entertainment was worth staying for. The singers seemed to have just one tone and pitch to their voices...............

The young staff in the restaurant were very polite and pleasant and worked very hard, as most of the staff were pleasant. As we are not the sort of people to complain we put up with the dirty room, but I did tell the receptionist on booking out about my complaints and how disappointed we had been this time around. The new owners are spending money on pool refurbishments/bars ....maybe they need to be looking at the rooms first as thats where guests form their opinions firstly!

Would we go again??? The receptionist did say to us when we were leaving "I hope you will come again and have not been put off by your visit this time"....my reply was "Well, I would have to think very hard about it as there are lots of other hotels in the area(which we have stayed in) that offer better deals and much cleaner accomadation!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 19th of July 2010

Never Again, Fawlty Towers Lives !!!

Reviewed Mon 8th of April 2013

"We have stayed at this hotel before and returned due to our previous good experience.
Unfortunately in the last year there have been a few changes it seems, some new bedding and the bar has changed we were constantly reminded, wow !
There has been a change of ownership and that seems to have changed things quite a bit. The staff are the same but are now quite miserable and all want to leave, The food has changed too, it is no longer to be looked forward to.
Gone are the happy couple that used to run the hotel and in have come Basil and Cybil Fawlty !
The difference could not be more pronounced. This used to be a busy hotel, this time there was only a handful of guests and we felt foolish and in the way. Reading a couple of other reviews I do not understand, you would think they had been written by the new owner ??? or maybe they are just fans of Fawlty Towers."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of July 2010

No thank you!

Reviewed Tue 2nd of April 2013

"9 years ago we went for our 30th wedding anniversary & paid to have two nights in a ground floor room with a terrace overlooing the tennis courts. 2nd night we were woken up hearing running water! A rusted pipe had burst in the ceiling & water was pouring down the wallpaper & over our Pearl anniversary cards & the TV on the table. My husband moved the TV & I rescued the very damp cards. Because of that night we were told if we went again they'd give us a 3rd night free so we went Sept the same year, very unfortunately it was the weekend of 9/11 so no one enjoyed their stays.

Earlier this year we received a letter from the new owners asking us to try them as they'd been refurbishing the hotel. As it was our 39th anniversary on Saturday 10th July we booked on Thursday 8th July to go the following day. I told the hotel in my email initially it was a break to celebrate our 39th anniversary. I was told that the room they could give us hadn't been refurbished as they hadn't felt it needed it apart from giving it a new UPVC window. I was told it was a lovely room on the top floor of the hotel with a great view of the harbour so I accepted it & was offered it for £180 for the two of us for half board for two nights.

When we arrived we found the room (26) had an almost thread bare carpet & there were nail clippings by the window, the mattress was terrible, the bed base creaked badly & the toilet seat was a very odd material that was actually peeling off where you sat down so just how could that be clean? I went to reception to comment (& I did this politely) & the lady sent John, a very nice young man back with me to see about changing the mattress & she said she would bring a vacuum to clean up. I'd collected the nail clippings & discarded them so I told her that I was just telling her how I'd found the room.

John showed us the adjacent room which had a better newer mattress so he offered to swap the mattress for us which we accepted, also he said he'd replace the toliet seat after I'd shown him the one in our room. We left him to it & we went out for a few hours. Later we checked the bed & saw the sheet we would be lying on was stained extensively in the middle area! It also had other marks on it so again I went to see someone just to ask for a clean sheet which I said I was happy to swap over myself although they would have sent someone to do it.

Dinner: we had been asked on arrival what time we wanted & the last sitting was at 8pm & we chose 8pm. We both chose pate & it was meant to be served with apricot chutney but it was a redcurrent one not to our liking & the salad had no dressing for it. My husband ordered pork loin & I ordered braised beef. The veg was courgettes & tomato (very watery), white cabbage, one new potato & three slices of potato. The courgettes & tomatoes, new potato & cabbage were barely warm & the sliced potato was actually cold! So obviously we asked for hot veg! The manager insisted we had to have all replaced though my beef had seemed very nice. When the meals arrived the veg were piping hot but my beef was cut a different way & I couldn't chew it, it was terrible so my husband gave me his pork loin which was very overcooked! We decided not to make further comment, not at all sure why now as we certainly should have. We left most of our meat.

The sofas were all so low with no support so we ended up going to relax in our room watching TV.

After a very fitful sleep as the curtain liners weren't adequate to shut out the early morning light & although the mattress was exchanged it still wasn't comfortable as springs could be felt through it, we went for breakfast. We arrived 9.30am, breakfast was till 10am. If they would put a microwave in the dining room we could've eaten a good cooked breakfast but sadly it was very lukewarm.

I asked the receptionist if the hotel was going to allow us a complimentary bottle of wine as happened before 9 years ago with the previous owners. she said anyone could say it was their wedding anniversary & they were in business to make money but she would ask the restaurant manager about it. she said if they didn't give us one we weren't to order a bottle expecting it to be free! We had asked for dinner at 8pm again & that was when we were told starters & desserts were always the same! the restaurant manager asked us if we wanted to have some drinks so I asked him if the complimentary wine had been agreed, he said 'it is not our policy to give away free drinks, madam!'

I asked for chicken & bacon salad with a Thai green dressing, my husband chose pasta which he was told was just a smaller portion of the main course. The chicken was dry, the bacon almost broke my teeth, there was hardly any dressing & when I asked for more the young waiter brought out a plastic container with a long piping spout & the top wasn't on so when he tried to delicately squeeze some out it went over the plate & the tablecloth! I ordered the sirloin, my husband ordered the chicken. The meat arrived first & we waited for our veg. I saw the two thin slices of sirloin were so dry & overcooked (beef usually actually is served pink & so juicy) & I cut a bit off one slice & it was really dried out so I said I wasn't accepting that & asked for chicken. The chicken must've been hanging about for hours being kept warm as it too was dry. It caused friction between my husband & I & that day was our anniversary! After coffee in the lounge, sitting in chairs which were much more comfortable than the sofas (only a few chairs around & usually taken) we opted again to retire to our room.

We endured another restless night & another lukewarm breakfast, checked out & left.

I think if you go to this hotel ENSURE you are given a REFURBISHED room, ENSURE you go into dinner AS EARLY AS POSSIBLE or go elsewhere.

We are early 60's & normally easily pleased but we expected to enjoy our special occasion & it was not acceptable.

We want to say we found all the staff really pleasant although I was spoken down to by the young chunky receptionist on 10th July, who inferred I might be lying about our anniversary so I could nick a freebie from them!. The restaurant manager was blowing hot & cold with us too."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of July 2010