About Crowne Plaza Plymouth

• heated pool
  • indoor pool

The Ideal place to stay in Plymouth

Reviewed Tue 5th of February 2013

"This hotel is, in my opinion, better than most Holiday Inn's in terms of it's location, staff and a general 'feel' to the place. I am aware that it is another property in a mass produced line of identical properties world wide, but for me this one is different. I think it may have something to do with staff retention or perhaps just the staff in general who are so friendly and accommodating. I have stayed a few times now and on one occasion somebody (who must also have been a guest) key'd the side of my car in the on site, secure car park. Staff were not only correct in proceedure but were very shocked and disappointed and followed up this incident. The resteraunt on the top floor is such a lovely environment in which to take breakfast, again I don't usually bother as i'm not a big fan of communal breakfast, but the views from up there make it entirely worth the effort. 10/10 and wouldn't stay anywhere else when i'm in town."

• Travel date: Tue 5th of February 2013

Have stayed here a couple of times in th...

Reviewed Sat 25th of August 2007

"Have stayed here a couple of times in the last two weeks. This week had glorious weather unlike last so am able to say more about this hotel and surroundings in general.

Basically the hotel is in a fantastic setting right on the front 1 minute walk from the sea and 5 minutes walk away from the Barbican.

The hotel is now back as a Holiday Inn, it has underground secure parking which unfortunately isn't free, but handy all the same. There are two bars one a sports style bar with casual seating and atmosphere the other is on the 11th floor where you will also find the restaurant. This bar is more formal but still relaxing.

The restaurant has a choice of a 3 course carvery with coffee which I chose and wasn't to disappointed however I did have to ask for more meat. They also serve an a la cart dinner, can be a little busy in the summer months as its high on local business travellers and is also used for the tourist coach trips.

Rooms airy and comfortable as expected with Holiday Inn group but my second stay was on the 10th floor this was noisy as the kitchen area was being cleaned and I could hear the banging and even the floor scrubbing, stay away from the middle area on floor 10 and you should be ok. There is also a gym area for the health concious amongst us.

5mins away though is the harbour area known as the Barbican this is a vibrant area with lots of choice of bars and diners to use, felt safe to walk to and from no worries there.

I would also recommend booking on line and keep an eye out on the costs as the room rate can fluctuate a little depending on how busy and time of year and can vary by up to 30%. Would recommend this hotel for its location."

• Travel date: Sat 25th of August 2007

ideal location

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"Stayed 4 nights using my priority points from work, room large woth 2 double beds, and view of Hoe despite been side of hotel room.
TV a bit low to see from bed, room nice and clean and with aircon if needed.
Car parking in basement was useful and was only £3.50 for our entire stay.
bought breakfast vouchers using priority point before we left home and used these for 3 day breakfast (kids eat free), this was severed in penthouse with good views, service was excellent one day when young lad with goaty beard was in charge, but days when he was off the attitude and service was of a lower standard. the food was good but sometimes various items ran out.
reception staff very helpful.
the location is within easy walking of Hoe and Barbican and also the shopping centre."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of June 2007

dissapointed

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"We have stayed there many times but the cleaning of the rooms is a disgrace,we were in the executive suite and you expect a little better....The bath had the remains of someones hair laying in it very dusty and just un kept.To be honest the only area in which i felt had improved was the service in the restaurant,the room service that i ordered in the evening wasn't great and when we got back the following evening it was still where i had left it the previous evening.Very dissapointed!"

• Travel date: Mon 16th of April 2007

Reastaurant a disgrace.

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"As an experienced Holiday Inn guest I have to say the food I received at this property was by a good margin the worst ever.

Hotel wise the HI Plymouth is just as you would expect - nothing flash but with decent rooms/beds and amenities.

Elliots restaurant may have a nice view but the food and service from the carvery bordered on the appalling. Soggy "roast" pots, undercooked carrots (or were they trying to be "al dente") and watery cauliflower cheese to accompany a very lame gammon or lamb. To cap it all it was served by a seemingly ignorant and unintersted "chef". We waited 5 mins to be seated in an empty dining room despite being on time for a pre booking and watched as the very pleasant waiting staff apologised to customers for the delay of their food.

I'll stay here again but will NOT be eating anything other than breakfast.

JT"

• Travel date: Wed 14th of February 2007

Fabulous views and a great position

Reviewed Wed 21st of November 2012

"We stayed 3 nights from the 2nd to the 5th of Febuary in an executive sea view room on the10th floor which had fabulous views over the Hoe and sea. The hotel is minutes from the City shopping centre which is excellent. We had no problems parking our medium size car in the main under cover hotel car park. Our room was very spacious, clean and comfortable. The pool was also excellent. The Breakfast was very good. We had room service when evening meals were served very speedily and were good value. All the staff we came across were very efficient and polite. The pool is also very nice.

All in all we thoroughly enjoyed the experience and would definitely stay at this hotel again."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of February 2007

Very Convenient

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Booked an executive sea facing room which was large with an outstanding view. Decoration and bathroom adequate if tired. Link to next room had ill fitting doors so every noise they made could be heard. Breakfast was typical of a Holiday Inn with good choice. Service and the staff were excellent throughout. The location of the hotel is outstanding with easy walking to the city centre shops and entertainment, the sea front or the Barbican fishing port area. Parking is available if tight for large cars. Pool a little on the cool side for us. Overall a pleasing stay especially because of the location and worth checking for last minute deals. With refurbishment this hotel would be excellent in such an ideal location."

• Travel date: Thu 11th of January 2007

OK for a business trip.

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"I have stayed in this hotel on a number of occasions on business trips, and have witnessed the changes for the better brought about by the change of ownership from Moat House to Holiday Inn. The external appearance though remains pretty drab, being of concrete slabs for the elevations. The photograph on Tripadvisor makes it look better than it actually is.

There is nothing memorable about hotels such as these, but at least you know what you’re coming to. The rooms are OK – certainly improved after refurbishment, clean and no complaints about noise either from inside the hotel or outside.

Check in and out was OK, but staff there seem not to know how to credit Priority Club Points. The person who checked me in said the person who would check me out would deal with it, while the person who checked me out said she couldn’t credit them because the hotel is not owned by Holiday Inn, and to apply to the Priority Club direct!!

The breakfasts could do with being improved – orange juice dispensed out of a machine does not convey the right image. The cooked elements were below par; the fried eggs had clearly been sitting on the hotplate far too long (they were hard) and the bacon looked as if it had been cooked in a microwave (it probably had!). This is a regular event. Singularly unappetising. I have given up on ‘cooked’ and have the ‘healthy’ option instead.

I haven’t had dinner in this hotel for some considerable time due to the mediocre offerings experienced in the past – but the location of this hotel is great – you are within a 10 minute walk of the Hoe where there are numerous pubs and restaurants.

The bar is not especially inviting, and the person who served me on this occasion was pretty clueless. I like trying out different beers, and I was looking at the bottles in the fridge, and pointed one out I had never heard of. “What’s that one like?” I asked. “Oh, it’s really nice; it’s very popular” came the reply. I agreed to try it. The bottle was opened and poured into a glass. Fine – until I tasted it. It was alcohol free! Yuk! The point is, it would have been rather nice to be offered an alternative on the house. A bar person worth their salt should have known their stock and informed me that it was alcohol free.

The swimming pool is a reasonable size for a hotel, and the changing facilities are OK.

This hotel is fine for the purposes I use it for – an overnight hotel when on business. It’s clean, comfortable but do not expect anything remotely approaching haute cuisine in the restaurant. And beware of the bar!!"

• Travel date: Wed 29th of November 2006

Enjoyed our stay

Reviewed Sat 10th of November 2012

"Well, I guess we must have been lucky because our reservation went very smoothly. I booked a couple of months in advance on the hotel website, requesting a quiet two-bedded non-smoking room on an upper floor--and that is exactly what we got. The view from the ninth floor was wonderful (Plymouth Sound, the river, and part of the city centre), which was not in any way obscured by dirty windows.

We chose this hotel for nostalgic reasons as well as for the excellent location, having stayed there a couple of times during postings to England in the eighties. It was just as we remembered it, albeit with a few expected signs of wear. The room was very comfortable and the staff very friendly and helpful. The only minor niggle was that negotiating turns in the underground parking lot with our rented RAV 4 proved a bit of a challenge.

We enjoyed our time at the Plymouth Holiday Inn and will stay there again whenever we return.
Wendy L.
Nova Scotia, Canada."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of November 2006

We had booking/reception problems too

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"I felt moved to write after reading the previous review. As a Priority Club Gold member i had problems with the reservation and problems with reception in August which resulted in a letter of apology from the Operations Manager. He said quote " I shall be discussing your comments with our Reservations Manager & Reception Manager, regarding the service you received at check in & reservation stages, to ensure that their staff are fully aware of our customer service values." There are obviously still major problems and although i very much appreciated the refurbishment of the hotel and the response from the manager, i shall not stay there again until i feel confident that these problems have been properly addressed."

• Travel date: Tue 21st of November 2006

Hotel refurbished, but administration and reception a mess

Reviewed Fri 12th of October 2012

"The old Moat House (which was in dire need of a refurbishment) has indeed been refurbished and rebranded as a Holiday Inn. The rooms/corridors are much better than was the case previously, although as another reviewer has noted the windows don't half need a clean.

We were pretty apalled though at the chaos their booking system seems to be in. I booked through the Holiday Inn website and requested two twin rooms. When we arrived the girl at reception insisted that we had booked two doubles. The other half of our party were arriving later than us, and it was they who had the confirmation slip with reservation number that I printed out. We'd booked 2 deluxe rooms, and sadly one of the rooms had to be the standard because they'd not dealt with our booking instructions properly. Two other friends who'd booked through another website had also the exact same experience, so it clearly wasn't just a one-off thing.

More than anything I was annoyed at the attitude shown by the front desk, I had to ask three times to get a partial refund (£15/room - big deal), and when one was promised it didn't appear on the bill the next day, so had to complain yet again.

Not impressed, and believe from other friends that the Future Inn just outside of the city is a much better establishment all round."

• Travel date: Sat 18th of November 2006

Superb view and location

Reviewed Wed 28th of November 2012

"Stayed here for a few nights in October, as a base for sightseeing. We had an executive room, which was on the tenth floor with a superb sea view over Plymouth Hoe.
The room was huge, easily taking the two double beds and other furniture, with plenty of space to spare. It was nicely decorated, well equipped and clean. The air conditioning didn’t seem to be working in the room, and they didn’t seem to be able to fix it, although that wasn’t really a problem at this time of year. The bathroom was OK, but not particularly big (in contrast to the room) and unremarkable (although there were some nice toiletries provided).
The hotel appeared to be very busy, with a lot of conferences and business meetings taking place.
I can’t really comment on the swimming pool, as it was being re-tiled when we were there (something that we weren’t told when we booked through the Holiday Inn website a few days before arrival), although I thought it looked a good size.
We had breakfasts (included in our room rate) and also a couple of evening meals in the hotel’s restaurant – all fine, with friendly service, although the restaurant ambience and décor were nothing special. (We were unable to fully appreciate the views from the restaurant because of the condensation on the windows!)
Also agree with some other reviewers about tight turns in the underground car park!"

• Travel date: Sat 28th of October 2006

Hotels near Crowne Plaza Plymouth

Top traveller tips for Crowne Plaza Plymouth

• canesa by canesa

"Use the resteraunt and the pool "

Crowne Plaza Plymouth is also called