The Palace Hotel

Wonderful holiday

Reviewed 3rd December 2016

" We first visited the Palace in 2012 we had a fantastic time . We decided to go again this year with the great KM travel and I'm pleased to say we were not disappointed. The hotel is fantastic with lovely clean rooms, The staff are lovely and very helpful, the food is wonderful. For the price you pay if you can't book Buckingham Palace then book the Paignton Palace I'm sure you won't be disappointed."

• Travel date: 30th November 2016

Best hotel ever

Reviewed 17th August 2015

"I have taken a large blind and partially sighted group (a coach full + helpers) to the Palace Hotel in Paignton as well as a full sighted coach full every year for a very long time and I have always found this hotel to be the best we have ever stayed at. As soon as I say we are going, the coach is full. The staff are brilliant and the food the best any where. It has been a bit warm in the hotel a couple of Turkey and Tinsel weekends but that is the only minus I can think of. I highly recommend this hotel and cannot believe some of the reviews. We will have been twice this year in December. We have tried other hotels but for kindness to the blind group, there is no contest. The fully sighted groups love the place just as much."

• Travel date: 17th August 2015

Scandalous Management and dubious staff!

Reviewed 6th January 2014

"Having originated from Torbay I thought it would be fun to return, whilst attending my nieces wedding, and stay at the Palace which when I was young always had a familiar and grand aura about the hotel. How further from the truth could this have been! The nightmare began on the 2nd day when a pair of expensive headphones went missing from the side table during our room clean. Both my wife and myself distinctly remember where they were when we left the room. Of course we can't prove anything but we know the truth! On the night before our departure we informed management that we had to leave at 5am to drive to Gatwick where we were flying to Italy to meet friends and play golf. My golf clubs were in the security room and I was reassured that there would be no problem in retrieving them on check out! At 4:30 in the morning we met the ONLY staff in reception who knew nothing of our clubs and worse still had no keys to unlock the secure door. We felt very sorry for him as it was not his fault. He was physically impaired and was clearly experiencing palpitations as he tried his best to help us. For a 4 star hotel it begs the question as to why he was the only member of staff left in charge of a large hotel overnight?? We had to leave my clubs behind but got reassurances later from management that these clubs would be sent to our hotel in Paris 10 days later before we left for home in Thailand. Obviously for those 10 days I had to pay the expense of renting clubs, shoes etc. When arriving in Paris i was shocked to find that not only were my clubs not there but the Palace management had decided to pay the cheapest service with no guaranteed delivery, again without any real concern or goodwill to return my property! Over the following weeks I sent numerous emails asking where and when my clubs would be returned. I initiated every email and not once did they proactively contact me to provide updates. Excuse after excuse ensued and in the middle of November I realized I could not trust their ability or willingness to help and asked my sister who lived close by to pick up the clubs and keep them until her next visit. As a result I asked for recompense as not only had I rented clubs all over Italy but also had to buy a new set in Thailand. I then also had to pay for the delivery charges of excess baggage for flying them to Thailand. The GM and owners of the Palace responded coldly with an offer of only providing the delivery charges. Given everything that had happened and their complete incompetence and carelessness I thought it only right to ask for more! As i was so disappointed I also mentioned the power of social media and of course Trip Advisor which thankfully is a forum to expose crooks and shabby establishments for who and what they really are! They immediately responded that because of my veiled threat to expose them they would now revoke any offer of recompense! They really are a disgrace and should be ashamed of how they have behaved! They have continually accepted blame but have neither the intention or professionalism to make the situation right and recompense for the inconvenience and cost they caused. To top it all I received my clubs last week from my sister to find that one of my clubs is missing! Again we can't prove anything but its clear what has happened. If you are thinking of spending the considerable amount of money to stay at this hotel please think again. Some of the staff are thieves and the management care little about service or your well being. Be warned! Stayed August 2013, traveled with family."

• Travel date: 3rd January 2014

excellent location, nice hotel, friendly staff,good leisure facilities

Reviewed 12th August 2009

"Perfect location. We'd booked 2 rooms at the hotel for 3 nights en route to Cornwall and we were pleasantly suprised. Amazingly a fair was set up just in front of the hotel which suited our children perfectly,15 and 10.The fair was only there for that week and didn't cause any distubing noise etc. Hotel Entertainment was provided nightly but was definately geared towards the older guests which were in the majority, however it contributed to a nice atmosphere. Bedrooms smallest we'd ever stayed in, all quite basic and outdated as were bathrooms. However it wasn't a problem as all very clean and they'd clearly done their best to make the accommodation comfortable.The bathroom did smell slightly but was totally clean. Swimming pool, sauna and steam room all very good with free towel loan- a real plus. Staff all very helpful and friendly. Food: we only ate breakfast at the hotel plus evening sandwiches once (once only as they were very expensive) NB the plates at breakfast are very HOT!and overlarge for the table so easy to burn yourself on. From our limited experience of the food it was good. There are 2 lifts but one was out of order when we were there- not a problem to us easy enough to walk up the stairs! however if less able may have been inconvenient. There was a stairlift for the less able to get to this lift(2 or 3 steps up to lift area). The one that was out of order did not involve walking up any steps to it. The hotel seems very well adapted to people who are less able which is excellent. overall a very enjoyable stay. "

• Travel date: 10th August 2009

Fab!

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"I booked the Palace Hotel this Feb, for a little valentines treat for my partner and myself, got a fantastic deal and was so surprised at what was included. Although when we arrived I was slightly concerned to find the gardens being dug up and worked on (obviously getting ready for the summer) But this didn't ruin our stay at all. Once inside the staff were friendly and helpful, our room was lovely and clean, Very nice bathroom! I had asked for a sea view room on booking, which we got, and an added bonus of the only balcony at the hotel. We did find that the other guests were alot older than ourselves, but this didn't matter, we joined in on bingo and had a lovely evening. I had booked an all included deal especially for Valentines £35pp, Evening meal (3 COURSE), Breakfast, and use of all facilities, Sauna, Steam room and pool, All quite small, but just what i was looking for, for a quiet relaxing night away. Food was very good and was served quickly. Would defently recommend and stay again."

• Travel date: 6th April 2007

the only place to stay in paignton

Reviewed 16th November 2012

"we have stayed at a number of hotels in torbay and fould the palace to be the best , from the wonderfull staff ,the food is to die for and the room so large and clean ,spotless. we will allways look to stay at the palace when in paignton."

• Travel date: 22nd January 2007

Looking foreward to a return visit to the Palace Hotel

Reviewed 27th October 2012

"We have just spent a very nice 4 days at the Palace Hotel, the rooms were were clean, warm and we had a lovely view from our window, the bed was also very comfortable. The food was always hot and we had a good choice of menu. We found all the hotel staff very pleasant and helpful, It was excellent value for money. We are looking forward to booking another short break in the next few weeks."

• Travel date: 8th January 2007

nice hotel ,shame about the shower (and the receptionist)

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"Stayed for 4 nights on half board basis at the Palace . Nice warm hotel ,good size " executive" room overlooking the bay.Wallpaper had seen better days .Shower was pitiful,no pressure and luke warm.Not just ours,spoke to other guests who also complained. Comfy bed, Restaurant staff were brilliant, friendly ,competent and attentive.food quite good and always hot. Nice bar and lounges, reasonable health club and indoor pool but inadequate showers and changing room. evening entertainment very limited,bingo and the odd musician. Young lady receptionist unhelpful and faintly hostile,shame as the rest of the staff were excellent."

• Travel date: 10th November 2006

Faded Charm

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"We are a mature couple and spent two nights at the Palace just before Easter and enjoyed our visit. The hotel's Reception, Bar area, Lounge and Restaurant areas were obviously from a past time but we liked them. The high ceilings and ornate decorations were attractive to see, but if you want a plastic palace this hotel is not for you. The room we had on the second flour had a side sea view and was vey spacious, it remeinded us of a country house which maybe could be up dated. The price charged for DBB was very reasonable for what we had. The staff were very friendly, helpful and looked after the mainly very elderly or disabled quests well. The leisure club was good and we had it to ourselves on the two occasions we used it. If visiting Torbay again we would certainly consider this hotel ."

• Travel date: 16th April 2006

The Palace is quality.

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"I have just returned from a five night break at the Palace and was pleasently surprised, after reading the other reviews. The location is excellent, on Paignton seafront, yet set back from the road by ample car parking facilities and well kept gardens. The staff were always pleasant, polite and ready to please. Nothing was too much trouble. The bedroom was on the small side, yet our friends had a larger room; just the look of the draw. However, the bed was saggy and fitted with what appeared to be a plastic mattress topper, not very comfortable! Yet the room and en-suite were always spotlessly clean. As was the rest of the hotel. A nice bar area and terrace, leading into a comfortable lounge with additional quality seating in the foyer and sun room over looking the gardens. I could not fault the breakfast. There was ample choice of juices, fruits, and cereals. Then a full English breakfast, or kippers etc. The restaurant menu was impressive and evening entertaiment was provided yet i couldn't comment as we prefered the delights of Paignton and Torquay nightlife! The leisure facilites of a pool, gym, sauna, and steam room were adequate. The Spa being a let down, as it is very small and not warm at all. Overall i was impressed with the Palace and would recommend it."

• Travel date: 9th September 2005

Well I never!!

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"My daughter , myself and my parents chose this hotel as my parents are getting elderly and was finding the hill walk from Goodringtion too much so we decided to choose a hotel on the sea front. The Hotel looked fantastic in the English Riveria brochure and had a varied choice of menus. Upon our arrival we were shown to our rooms the Windows in both my room and my parents (as my daughter was sharing with myself) were so dangerous that we had to virtually close them leaving only about 2" for ventilation. If we opened them it would be like opening a door and being on the 2nd floor was very dangerous for anyone never alone a child. It was a long way down!!!! The accomodation was adequate but was very dated, in my room we had to let the cold water run for about 20 minutes before we actually had cold water. the room was packed with oversized furniture so before we could unpack I had to re-arrange so we coud fit our belongings into the room. there was also no room for storage ie: wardrobe space. No onto the service and the "Food" I cannot fault in anyway the pleasant and kindness of any of the staff employed at the Hotel. However having dealt with Silver Service within a restuarant and management of staff, perhaps it would help if they employed people that actually had done Silver Services before. The food!!!!! Well the first meal we had as a family we cannot fault but by day 4 the food well the final straw for me was when I had steak but was virtually raw when I asked for medium and the sauce was conjealed and then oh fantastic someone's hair bang right in the middle! Mmmm Loveley, I had a very long chat with 2 managers after this!, The food did improve but we still wasn't happy!!! If you enjoy your food be ware!! It did spoil our holiday as we dreaded going to dinner, eg incinerated potatoes, underboiled potatoes, soggy veg or undercooked veg I could go on. The chidren's menu was Burgers, fish Fingers or Chicken Nuggets, you could choose form adult menus but this was not better in some cases. Be aware that the A La Carte Menu has an additional charge if you choose from this menu which has no mention on any website this or tourist boards or any brochures. So make up your own mind!!!! ther whole hotel need a major overhaul."

• Travel date: 15th August 2005

An okay hotel in need of a serious overhaul inside

Reviewed 21st October 2012

"The Palace is stunning from the outside with fantastic gardens, however the inside looks like it hasn't been updated for a few decades. It's a decent hotel but you can tell it's living on past glories. There's no business centre, the one computer they've got for guest to get on the internet only has a floppy disk drive, which gives you an idea of how up to date the hotel is. While the scones and cream are praiseworthy the rest of the food is average at best. Considering that they're so close to some amazingly good local farms, you'd think they'd really be making an effort. Beds are saggy, and the rooms are bit on the shabby side. Considering what else is on offer in town, this isn't a bad choice, but if you're looking for a bit of pampering in this part of the world I'd suggest somewhere else."

• Travel date: 11th July 2005

Hotels near The Palace

Top traveller tips for The Palace

• by Margaret Brooks

"Take up every option offered, relax and just enjoy."

• by Sylvia G

"relax and enjoy it. The food is brilliant for a start. Use the pool."

• by raven

"the beach, we mainly travelled out from paignton.Enjoyed Torquay very much and the victorian museum "

• by raven

"quiet town, lovely beach. "

The Palace is also called