About Passage House Hotel

• heated pool
  • indoor pool

Never again

Reviewed 16th September 2015

"The worst HOTEL? I have ever been in. Booked on line as stated Lift to ALL floors this is not so, when we arrived we were allocated in the North Annex, No mention when booking of any Annex. There are NO lifts here No security doors either anyone can lurk in the corridors making this an unsafe place to be. BEWARE is you are in rooms 43,44 or 45 there is NO ESCAPE if there is a fire in room 42 you are unable to pass 42 to get to the fire escape. The restaurant was full the night we were there but the receptionist told us that there was a pub "Down the road" which we did find about 2 miles away, being dark when we went to eat we didn't know she was referring to the on site pub hidden away. The room was very hot all night even though it was a cool day and the noise from the A380 and the main railway line to the west country was terrific, then the noise of 3 coaches in the car park starting up and loading there passengers. Staff ignore you and have a Don't care less attitude. Very disappointed having used Best western before but this is the worst even Travel Lodge and Premier Inn are better and more secure. Complaints seem to be ignored or Miss the point when replying "

• Travel date: 15th September 2015

Great location but very poor service.

Reviewed 9th December 2014

"I frequently stay in Best Western hotels and they are usually very good but my stay at the Passage House Hotel in Kingsteignton was not good. Pity as I shall need to stay round Kingsteignton on a regular basis and had it been good I would have become a regular visitor. I left this hotel with the impression that it is just after your money but does not seem to care about customer satisfaction issues and did not seem to know how to apologize when things went wrong. I stayed in a superior room but the room was poorly lit, the ladder towel radiator could not be turned off and the room was far to hot, it all looked like it needed a good clean and a bit of attention to the finishing. On arrival, the room numbers are tiny, placed over the tops of the doors in long corridors and difficult to spot. Instead your attention is drawn to the room names in big letters on each door and as you have been given just a room number when you check in such names are of no use. So I traipsed up and down the corridor trying to identify my room looking for a room with a number and not a name. But I was not alone as I came across another couple who had also just checked in doing exactly the same thing. Fortunately we bumped into a further couple who realized we could not find our room. They pointed to over a bedroom door and said the numbers are tiny but up there over each door ... they went on to say they had experienced exactly the same problem when they first tried to find their room. I wonder how many other customers experience the same frustration. I ate in the main hotel dining room the first evening. I had a rib eye steak which was 60% gristle accompanied by a huge plateful of mushrooms, over 20 to be precise. Quite absurd portion control. Poor food and poor value. . On the Sunday morning I went down to breakfast at about 8.15am and having collected an orange juice went and sat in the conservatory dining room section. Another couple walked in before me and another couple then came and sat behind me 10 minutes later. Those who walked in just before me got served after about 20 minutes. But I just sat and waited ... and waited. Eventually after some 35 minutes a man, probably a restaurant manager came up and stood behind me with a young waitress. I heard him say this couple here need serving and, referring to me, that man there is waiting. They left without speaking to me or the other couple. About 5 minutes later a waitress returned and took the order from the couple who had come in after me. But I sat there for another 10 minutes before a waitress finally came to the table and said ... are you ready to order love? Not exactly the right question to ask under the circumstances. I explained that I had been waiting for a very long time. She replied that it would only be a couple of minutes now but did not apologize. But no food came and 25 minutes later I left the restaurant without having been served. I went back to my room but had only just entered when the hotel receptionist rang and asked me to come down to reception. I asked why but she simply replied could you just come down. Thinking it was about the poor breakfast service I refused to go down unless she first explained why she wanted me to. She then said that someone had crashed into my car in their car park. I went down and sorted details before once again going back to my room. But whilst I had been downstairs a room maid had been into my room. Amongst other things she had put a toilet roll on top of the cistern. Unfortunately she had placed it over the electronic sensor which flushes the loo so the loo had flushed and flushed until it had blown a fuse. You would think the staff would be trained not to make such fundamental mistakes. Back down to reception yet again to ask for it to be sorted. No apology ... Instead just ... I will send someone up to fix it. When I finally checked out of the hotel I was asked if I had enjoyed my stay. My reply was it was not the best I have had in a Best Western Hotel. Her reply... Oh was that because you did not get served at breakfast, but again no apology. Instead she simply said we were aware of that and the manager has been informed. I assumed from that response that perhaps I would be hearing from the manager in due course with an apology but I was not subsequently contacted by anyone. One assumes therefore that they are not really interested in customers service experiences nor in apologizing so one has to assume those were their normal standards. Not a hotel to be recommended. "

• Travel date: 9th December 2014

Horrible Hotel

Reviewed 11th October 2012

"This was probably the most horrible hotel I've ever stayed it. The room and bathroom were in serious need of renovation. I had never seen anything like it. We were running late to go to a wedding and didn't have time to do anything about it, otherwise I would have never stayed there. The price clearly does not correspond to what you get for your money. As if this wasn't bad enough, they had a complete chaos at the breakfast time. We had to wait for a table and after being seated, the table was even dirty."

• Travel date: 23rd June 2009

Super Spring Break

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"Have just returned home from two nights( 8 & 9th May 2009) Passage House Hotel in Kingsteignton. Not the easiest place to find but absolute gem of location at the head of the Teign River estuary. Could not fault the hotel for anything. Only had one full meal in dining room but quality was very good. Leisure facilities, swimming pool, sauna etc all great and clean. Our only regret is that we forgot to take binoculars for the teeming birdlife."

• Travel date: 10th May 2009

Lovely bedroom with view over the river estuary

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"Our double bedroom had a lovely view over the river estuary. The breakfast and evening meals were excellent, with plenty of choices. Our only small grumble is that we would have preferred a quilt instead of sheets on the bed, but that is apersonal preference. Looking forward to revisiting the hotel in a couple of months."

• Travel date: 21st February 2009

Comfortable, clean and functional with health club.

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"Rooms are modern and comfortable but with no character. Similar to several medium range hotel chains. Rooms were clean. Staff were pleasant but did not give the impression they wanted to do any more than the minimum required. Good view over the river from one side of the hotel, less good view of car park from other side. We were on a room-only tariff @ £60 for a twin room which was just reasonable for the room size and quality. We did not sample the food but had an excellent hot breakfast in the Wetherspoon pub in Newton Abbot for about £3. The shower is a hose attached to the bath mixer tap so temperature can suddenly change when someone in another room turns on a tap. Our bathroom ceiling fan did not work throughout our stay, despite reporting it on the first day. There is a good indoor swimming pool (closed for maintenance throughout our visit) and a gym, steam room and sauna. Good riverside walks. Great for bird-watching. There are timeshare apartments within this development and their occupiers share the hotel facilities."

• Travel date: 4th February 2009

Below Expectations

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"The Passage Hotel looks beautiful in the pictures on the website, so I was excited to be staying in this accommodation. I was so disappointed when I arrived. The Reception area was clean and functional. When I checked in I was only told where my room was with no explanation of any facilities of the hotel or even what time breakfast was. I was excited to use the pool, until I noticed a sign on the reception desk stating it would be closed for a week and if I wanted to complain I had to speak to the manager. Again, very disappointing. I went to my room which was down a very stale smelling corridor. The room was functional but run down and tired. The wall paper was peeling and the overall appearance was something from the 1970s. The Bathroom was no better with a grey coloured suite and no nice additional extras. Every expense had been spared here. I can say it was clean though. The bed was very lumpy, and I had the worst nights sleep, as I had a spring digging into my back all night. The blue quilt on the bed looked dated and when you turned it over, there were yellow stains on the white backing material - there were plenty of these stains, which suggests that these throws haven't been cleaned in a long time. The blanket was insufficient and reminisent if a hospital bed - what's wrong with providing a duvet?? The food I had for dinner was lovely. No complaints there - very tender well cooked lamb. Breakfast was average. I'll be trying a different hotel and hoping to get that warm Devon welcome next time!!"

• Travel date: 30th January 2009

Great location on the Estuary

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"We have just returned from a short break at the Passage House Hotel. We had a downstairs room in the main hotel - with a great view overlooking the estuary. There was plenty of space - it was very clean and comfortable. There were a couple of minor niggles - there was only one bedside cabinet and there wasn't an alarm clock provided but we were only there for 3 nights so it wasn't an issue. The hotel was exceptionally quiet - we had paid for an all inclusive BB & Evening meal short break - the food was good - with generous portions but we were disappointed that the menu didn't change at all while we were there - although we were offered the 'non inclusive' menu at no additional cost. However the nearby Inn offers a wide range of snacks, meals and a carvery - so we would in future eat an evening meal there when we return to this hotel."

• Travel date: 22nd October 2008

A gem of a hotel

Reviewed 14th December 2012

"Following my stay at the Passage House Hotel in South Devon, I wanted to comment on the friendly service and convenient location of this place. I booked a standard with a view and after a hassle-free check-in, found my ground floor room was above standard and the view pretty impressive. Good size room, clean and well equipped - directly looking out over the Teign Estuary. With various birds and wildlife to distract, I soon forgot the stresses of my motorway journey and headed off for a bite to eat. The Passage House Inn is an old traditional style pub by the side of the hotel with a warm and friendly atmosphere, serving a good carvery amongst other choices. Food was perfectly adequate for the price, and the roast beef was tender and truly delicious – definitely recommended. Above all, I felt like I’d found a little gem of a place to stay in again – which I definitely will."

• Travel date: 9th October 2008

Beautiful location

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"My daughter had her wedding at the Passage House Hotel in March. The location was beautiful. I cannot praise the staff enough on making my daughter's wedding a day to remember. A lot of guests stayed overnight and commented on how perfect the hotel was and the rooms clean and comfortable. A big thank you to everyone involved"

• Travel date: 25th April 2008

Hidden away , good for touring

Reviewed 12th December 2012

"We stayed here in the clubshare/rci section for a week . Luckily we were allocated an upsise/down type unit at the back which offered stunning views across the estuary and nature reserve as the bedroom was downstairs with the living area upstairs . I gathered that if you had a front unit you might consider a liking for train noises as it faces a main line railway cutting . However it was well eqipped , fairly comfortable but the beds are unforgiving on your back . On site , there is a pub with food or you can use the attached hotel which seemed a bit expensive . You will need a car as it is tucked down a lane and parking can be a real issue at times . The location is excellent for the main road towards exeter or torbay resorts but within a few moments you can get to various shops/supermarkets if you want a few things or a cheaper breakfast . In general we neither liked nor dislked our week but have mixed reservations about ever returning , it didn"t impress or stun but just about what you may expect from this location ."

• Travel date: 14th March 2008

Not Good.....not good at all.

Reviewed 7th December 2012

"When we visit the Gift buyers fair in Torquay we usually stay at the Grand in Torquay. But for several reasons this year we stayed at the Passage House at Newton Abbot instead. It is important to state quite clearly right now that this is a business trip and I do not pay for this myself. It is paid for by one of my suppliers. The vast number of my reviews on Trip Advisor are paid for by me. Just occasionally I accept the hospitality of my suppliers. Having said that I will never again stay at the Passage House whoever pays for it. On arrival there was little interest in us by any staff member. It was very quiet; in fact there were no other people about except two receptionists. I had 2 rooms reserved and we were booked in quite quickly, given our keys, and told that our rooms were on the first floor though the double doors. No help offered. Up we went and found our rooms. One was musty, damp smelling and very utilitarian. The other smelt strongly of stale dirty toilets. There were large cracks in the plaster of the walls in the bedroom. The wallpaper border was peeling and hanging off all round the room. The bathroom was a disgrace black mould all round the bath and sink tiles a general 'run down' lack of care feel about it all. The pathetic small shower did not work properly. It either ran cold or very hot warm was beyond its capabilities! I am posting photographs of the dirt & the cracks but they are not very clear on the pictures. To top it all the much trumpeted internet connection was not possible to connect to - even though they charge £4:95p per session for it. Breakfast - you may well ask - The tea was Ok. The cold buffet was, what can you say, barely adequate, some packets of cereal a few yoghurts and some ordinary fruit juice. The cooked breakfast - a horrid sausage, half a tomato, over cooked mushrooms slice of bacon and a fried egg. All pretty unappetising. No questions asked by the waitress when most was left on the plate. This is a fairly dreadful hotel not to be recommended either for business or leisure use. I notice there are no other reviews on Trip Advisor, I did wonder if anyone else had ever actually stayed here ?"

• Travel date: 16th January 2008

Hotels near Passage House Hotel

Passage House Hotel is also called

• Passage House Hotel
  • passage hotel newton abbot