The Bath House Hotel

Runnacleave Road, Ilfracombe EX34 8AR England

Good

Superb location, price and accomodation - the whole package

Good

"I will start by saying I don't write reviews but I was pleasantly surprised with the hotel - we definitely got value for money so was inspired to write one.
We travelled with our 2 year old and also two friends. After reading some of the reviews we were a little worried - also the photos on the internet made it look outdated. We needn't have worried!
Our room was lush - newly decorated, lcd tv with dvd player- huge bathroom with a double shower cubicle. The travel cot was new and clean.The other couples room was more basic but clean, fresh and modern. They had a bath in their room and a normal tv. When we read the info in the guide books in the room it says there was only our room (room 103) with a shower.
This did not spoil their holiday and there are showers in the fitness suite- although we didn't have time to go down there and have a look.
The location of the hotel is brilliant - close to the high street and a short walk to the harbour and pubs/shops.
The breakfast was good. We were all very fussy eaters and they did anything they could to please.
The only 2 downsides was the bar shut too early and there were alot of steps with a pushchair up to the hotel.
If you want value for money, in a good location this is for you - if you really want a shower ask for room 103!!!!
We will be staying there again."

• Travel date: Wed 15th of April 2009

The whole group were thrilled with the Hotel.

"I booked for 20 of us to stay in 10 double rooms for 2 nights. On arrival Malcolm and his team were so friendly and helpful getting us parked and to our rooms. The rooms were just lush .Newly fitted out and modern and very clean. We all enjoyed a couple of relaxing drinks in the bar and had a lovely time. Breakfast was very good quality, beautifully cooked and presented.We all said 'Hey Hotels nice isn't it!-amazing value feel we should have paid more.The web site doen's do it justice
We will definately go again and thouroughly recommend it. Thanks Malcolm and your team!"

• Travel date: Wed 25th of March 2009

Would you take your dogs on your honeymoon!

"I booked this hotel as a suprise for my husband inDec,i booked online and had booking confirmed by email, on the Mon before we were due to go i rang hotel to inquire about our room, which was a luxury suite, my query was about wether there had been any pets allowed in that room, the lady that answered said we were not booked even though we had a booking rerence! she blamed it on the fax machine! someone else rang me back and told me he could not garantee that pets had not been in that room. We have two dogs of our own so are not against animals, but when i looked at reviews in dec presumed they would not be allowed in a' honeymoom' type suite! consequently i have cancelled, not so much because of the pet issue but more so the attitude and rudeness of the person that rang me back, he made Basil Faulty look polite! Cindy Winter.Somerset."

• Travel date: Mon 19th of January 2009

Fantastic service and room at the Bath House Hotel

"My boyfreind and I booked a last minute stay at the Bath House hotel on a saturday night directly with the hotel having found the hotel on booking.com which saved us money by booking by telephone. The women on the phone was very friendly and this was true again when we arrived where we were upgraded to a double deluxe suite from a double deluxe. Needless to say we were very grateful and because the women at the desk explained where things were and how things worked which really helps with a relaxing stay. We were very happy with the room as it had a living room area, large tv, four poster bed and a lovely big bath with a jacuzzi with organic bath products...... breakfast service was very efficent again and checkout very friendly so all in all we had a lovely relaxing stay which was really helped because of how fantastic the staff were. I highly recommend this hotel to stay in and am sure we will go back."

• Travel date: Tue 4th of November 2008

Needs a womans touch?

"Stayed for just one night in peak season - August.

Ilfracombe itself is great for a UK resort, harbour area lovely although some of the other buildings are looking a little unloved even in mid summer with a couple of empty derelict hotels in the main street.

The hotel is centrally located and the staff (we met a manager and the owner) were both friendly and helpful whenever we approached them. The manager made me a cup of tea when I was up very early with my little boy and they also gave me milk (as we had no fridge to store some ourselves) - this was really appreciated.

Our room was ok and what we expected for the price (£80 per night for a Sunday night).

To make it perfect - a) the hotel should invest in some new hoovers - the carpet in our room had plenty of the previous occupant's hair, the carpet in our friends' room had pet hair. The edges of the carpet looked like they hadn't seen a hoover in years... b) the wooden toilet seat was cracked - right through and everytime you sat on it, it slipped off of the edge of the toilet pan - making using it a precarious experience - it wouldn't cost much to replace it c) several tiles on the toilet floor were cracked - again a little routine maintenance would easily sort this d) the carpet in the lounge area was also hairy - pets are allowed but I was really upset to find a flea on my 10 month old little boy - this did sour the experience for me for sure - allow pets but if so keep them somewhere that is cleaned thoroughly and regularly e) breakfast was basic and just about passed for a full english.

What a shame that with a little attention to detail this could be a good quality hotel in a central location for which we would have in fact paid more! We realise they are busy but the cleanliness of the floors and pet / flea situation really does need to be addressed."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of September 2008

Not as it appears on line!

"If you want something cheap and basic then this is for you. The write up on the internet is not the way it actually is.
I was disappointed. the rooms are clean but very basic. Ensuite! Thre are no shower's. There is however, a mixer shower on the bath but there is nowhere on the wall to put it for a stand up shower. The Fully fitted Gym is a small room downstairs where we found it very smelly (Smelt of Urine) and the equipment would not pass health and safety as wires were not connected to the weights on one machine. The sauna again, small and in same area next to gym. Parking is a big problem. You may end up like we did having to park in the car park next door but it is £4.00 for the day and another £4.00 overnight! When speaking to a member of staff the parking fee was reimbursed.
The breakfast only covers English. If you want continental then better request it. We did get one croissant the following morning so the staff were trying to be accommodating. No grapefruits either!
The staff were friendly enough but, overall it was very basic, fine if this is what you are looking for."

• Travel date: Wed 12th of March 2008

Best Ever! Nice One, Malcolm and Nina.

"On the spur of the moment we decided to indulge ourselves - a weekend at the seaside sounded like the therapy we all needed. We booked one family and one twin room at the Bath House Hotel.
Malcolm met us at reception, checked us in swiftly, carried our bags to our rooms and lined the drinks up on the bar before the car engine had cooled - amazing service. Malcolm and Nina made their home ours. The atmosphere was welcoming and homely with that quirky 1950s English seaside guest house feel about it.
The large rooms, freshly refurbished, were clean, spacious, warm yet airy and soundproof and the beds were extremely comfortable.
Dan served us a magnificent full English breakfast with a smile and a very pleasant manner unseen in many such establishments nowadays (the waitress was equally lovely and I apologise for forgetting her name). I was offered a vegetarian option which looked and tasted as appetizing as the piggy version.
Our nine-year-old girls were made to feel at home and couldn't have been happier playing in the spacious lounges. They especially enjoyed the sauna which was supposed to be a grown-up treat for us - hey-ho, the joys of having children.
Thank you Malcolm and team for putting up with us, we will definitely be returning and will recommend you to anyone who'll listen!
x Sue, Mel, Charlie, Jenny and Alex x"

• Travel date: Sun 18th of November 2007

Excellent value

Good

"Stayed at the Bath House Hotel for 1 night last Saturday . Couldn,t get in to the hotel until 3.00 pm so had a walk around Ilfracombe for a few hours . Found the main high streets a little depressing but once we got out towards the harbour and quay it was like walking into a different place ! Sat outside Damien Hursts new bar / restaurant in glorious sunshine and could have been anywhere in the world . The hotel itself was very good value for money . We paid £ 55.00 for the room and it was fine . A very large room with high ceilings , bath with hand held shower , tv and tea making facilities . The hotel had its own bar where we sat and had a drink before heading out . Found the bed slightly uncomfortable as i kept sliding out my side but that was only a minor niggle . The breakfast was cooked to order and very nice . The hotel even has its own gym , solarium and sauna ! So to conclude excellent value for the money we paid ."

• Travel date: Mon 17th of September 2007

Hotels near The Bath House Hotel

Stayed at The Bath House Hotel? Share your insight.

The Bath House Hotel is also called