Norbury House Hotel

Beechwood Hotel Torrs Park, Ilfracombe EX34 8AZ England

House on the HIll

"My wife and I stayed her for 2 nights in July 08, our room was clean and spacious with lovely views to the see and over Ifracombe. Nothing was too much trouble and we were very well looked after and breakfast alone is worth the stay ! Local knowledge and plenty of advice on where to go and what to see. Dinner at The Quay and The Gendarmerie are a must, as is the coast walk to Lee for lunch in the pub ! great stay great place will definately be going back."

Great Stay

"From the moment of arrival we were made to feel welcome. A cup of tea was produced instantly in the bar/lounge to calm any frayed travel nerves and then we were taken to our room.

Comfortable bed and adequate en-suite facillities with bottles of shower gel and shampoo. Well decorated and space to move around.

Breakfast was a feast with a good range of choices to complement large and small appetites.

Paula and her staff were friendly and helpful. Interested in guests plans and always ready with suggestion of places to visit and good places to eat.

Paula has obviously done her research into what people want and about the area. It shows!

Strongly recommeded
Lesley and Malcolm"

Fantastic stay

Good

"Stayed at Norbury House for four nights at the start of July and have nothing but nice memories.
The rooms are not exactly cheap or top of the range but the place is very comfortable feels like home.

Paula is the best hostess I have ever come across, she made us feel extremely welcome from the second we arrived. Nothing was too much trouble.

Breakfast simply put was just amazing, cooked to order every morning and ate in the cosy dining room.

Bovril the dog is a big ole chap but very friendly !!!

Maybe could of had a sofa instead of two armchairs in the living room but thats my only gripe

A* hotel

Thnx again Steve and Grace"

• Travel date: Fri 11th of July 2008

Could do with some improving ......

"I have never written a review on Tripadvisor before, but felt I had to in this case. There are a lot of excellent reviews for this b&b on here, so I felt another honest review would be helpful.

We stayed here for a couple of nights in June and had high expectations from the website and reviews on Tripadvisor.

We received a brilliant welcome from the great host, Paula. Also the breakfast was top notch. The property itself is lovely and in a great position for a stroll into Ilfracombe.

For the money we paid, the room was fine, although the bed was a little uncomfortable, but not the worst I've slept in, also our room had a great view of Ilfracombe.

The main gripe I have is with the shower room, which was old and a bit mouldy (and tiny) - it took me about 10 mins to get some hot water sorted out and then it scolded and froze me in turn as I was having a shower.

I would just say, great little b&b, but please put in some new shower rooms - don't mind it being small, but clean, up to date and working would be much better! Definitely not the sort of standard you would expect from a property rated 5 star from most of the other reviews."

• Travel date: Mon 14th of July 2008

The reviews are all true!

Good

"If you like kitcsh, gorgeous breakfasts and hosts who make you feel at home and know EVERYTHING then Norbury House is the place to stay! Nothing is too much trouble for Paula and Adam, the hotel has everything you could need and is also a great location - walking distance from Illfracombe town centre and also easy access to the gorgeous coastal path. We will be going back again to give Bovril a cuddle :)"

• Travel date: Wed 9th of July 2008

LOVED OUR STAY!

"We stayed in a family room on the top floor of this beautiful house ... The room was perfect for myself, my husband, my daughter & my 4 year old grandson, spacious and the bathroom & shower perfect!

Paula the owner of the hotel is the perfect hostess, friendly, helpful and nothing was too much trouble, she has a real flair for style and hospitality.

We thoroughly enjoyed a drink in the bar overlooking the town.

Breakfast the next morning was a gourmet feast.

I would recommend Norbury House to anyone."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of July 2008

4 **** with a 5***** plus service

"Well what can we say this was one of the best by far Bed and Breakfasts we have stayed in that felt just like home! Everything about it was so welcoming and friendly. Clean, relaxed and all facilities you require and more. We stayed in Room 8 (Superior King size) which was right at the top of the house it had stunning views. The owners really made our stay special. Highly recommended.
The Longs"

• Travel date: Thu 19th of June 2008

Not all as it appeared - clever website photography!

"We were impressed by the website - it looked fabulous and just what we wanted. Portrayed was this wonderful restored house, beautifully decorated and furnished.

We had the Suite in which the wallpaper was coming away from the walls as it had been overpapered very badly, the retro bar was just a piece of old furniture and was not stocked as it said in the write up. The small en suite was tiny I could not outstretch my arms and I am only 5ft (tall not wide) - it was badly in need of refurbishment, again another odj bodge job 'to do it up'. Shower was useless and mouldy. The bed was uncomfortable and the duvet heavy and clumpy. This was supposed to be the best room!

The website made Norbury House look fantastic and it was not!
I was shocked that the comments on Travel Advisor were all grading a 5 and giving great reviews - it really wasn't!

The best thing about Norbury House was Paula the hostess - she was most welcoming and helpful which made it hard for us to check out earlier than our 2 night stay. The breakfast was very good also.

At £95 a night - A very pricey mistake!!"

• Travel date: Sun 15th of June 2008

a pristine oasis of chic tranquility and 'off the wall' charm

"we booked this place in preference to any other in Ilfracombe as it read so well in other tripadvisors reviews. Thus our expectations were already very high, and as fussy and critical seasoned travellers (I'm told I'm a cross between Victor Meldrew and Michael Winneron a bad day ). We were not disappointed - it's a great place made even better by Paula and her mum who make you feel like the most special guests they have ever had. We rebooked and stayed on extra days - never done that any where else before."

• Travel date: Sat 14th of June 2008

Fab place to stay

"We booked this hotel as a place to stay to celebrate our 1st wedding anniversay. On the telephone when we booked, Paula asked our reason for coming to Ilfracombe so we told her. We stayed there for 2 nights and on our wedding anniversay, we returned to our room to find a card and some chocolates from Adam, Paula and Bovril - lovely personal touch.
We were greeted on arrival straight away by Paula and Adam who offered us tea and shortbread. On our last day in Ilfracombe, we went on a day trip to Lundy Island and Paula offered to let us park our car with them although we were not staying with them that evening.
Fantastic service, lovely room and nothing was too much trouble for Paula. Would definitely go back if we were in the area again. The only drawback was akward temperature controls on the shower but the positives far out-weighed this very small negative."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of June 2008

honeymoon finale

"Truly fantastic, we had a brilliant time and are hoping to book another weekend there for this summer - we can't wait!!

The owners were very helpful, friendly and we loved Bovril."

• Travel date: Tue 27th of May 2008

laid back place

"absolutely great place to stay - hospitality second to none - beautiful view - close to breathtaking coastal walk - will definitely be going back again.

Tom and Kate - from Wiltshire."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of May 2008

Hotels near Norbury House Hotel

Stayed at Norbury House Hotel? Share your insight.

Norbury House Hotel is also called