Arlington Hotel

Sommers Crescent , EX34 9DP , Ilfracombe , Devon , England , United Kingdom , Europe

Good

our best holiday in ages

"I am a single parent with a daughter of 12.I run a busy business and was desperate for a reasonably priced well earned break.This hotel gave me a marvellous price with child discount (remember,single parent you rarely get this).We arrived late Saturday and were urged to have dinner after our long journey from Yorkshire.It was the first of many very nice 5 course meals with plenty of choice and pleasant waiting staff. There is ample parking and we unloaded to our very spacious sea view room with huge bathroom.Tea and coffee stuff clean towels and sheets and of course tv.
The staff and management couldnt have been more accomodating and pleasant the slightest hint of a problem and it was sorted (though there werent any).There was a huge breakfast every day ,newspapers to buy first thing in the morning and cheery entertainment in the evening should you want it.We also had breakfast in our room the first morning,overlooking the lovely view!!

Ilfracombe is old fashioned in a very charming way.There is a favblous theatre 30 seconds from the hotel which I would urge you to check out very good performances,mini golf,Tunnels beaches,trips around the harbour,a lovely restaurant at the harbour The Quay(should you have room for lunch)lots of shops,vintage car rally etc If you have a car visit Woolacombe Beach and Croyde (15 minutes).There are loads of things to do in the area if the weather is poor.Luckily the weather was brilliant and we had 7 hot days,the lovely hotel pool coming in for some good use.

I travel all over and I've had the best time in years.

This hotel has a certain faded glory but I guess thats what designers call shabby chic these days.It was ultra clean,the maids did a superb job (EVERY DAY) and I defy you to find better value for money or have a more enjoyable family holiday for this sort of money.

If you are checking out the wallpaper or the firmness of the vegetables then you need to get out more: )

I have recommended this to loads of people so hopefully we will not be disaponted when we book in again which we definately will!!

Just a note,The Cavern Beatles are supurb if you like the Beatles as are The Westenders if you like musicals at the theatre."

• Travel date: Tue 28th of August 2007

Many Fabulous Holidays

"We have stayed here many times, and the hotel is excellent value for money. The rooms are always comfortable and clean and food is plentiful and delicous.

Ilfracombe is very HIlly, and the Hotel is up a short hill itself, we have 2 dogs adn love the fact that the hotel welcome them so much as the walks around ilfracombe over the cliffs are fantastic."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of August 2006

Recommend the Champagne Weekend

"We stayed at the Arlington for a Champagne Weekend and it was excellent value for money. For £72 per person we had full English Breakfast Saturday and Sunday, 5 course dinner Friday and Saturday ( a glass of Champagne was included Saturday evening) and a 3 course lunch Saturday and Sunday. The disco Saturday evening was excellent. The only draw back to the weekend was Ilfracombe itself. We visited there a few years ago and were amazed at the amount of dog faeces on the pavement. Sadly nothing has changed. Don't expect high street shops here. The only national chain is Superdrug.

To sum up, the hotel was 2 star as advertised and was a friendly place to stay but Ilfracombe out of season is not for us. We will stick to the likes of Bournemouth in future."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of December 2005

Striking views from the hotel

"The hotel is very old but adds to the character, service is excellent and very friendly staff. If you like walking Ilfracombe is excellent, lots of hills. Opposite the hotel is a tall hill you can climb and look across to see the whole of Ilfracombe, a lovely sight. Only drawback with the hotel is the size of the car park, but everything else is acceptable for the reasonable price that you pay, food good."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of August 2004

Good Value For Money

"The Arlington Hotel is a small good value hotel well situated for both the town and sea front in Ilfracombe. The staff are pleasent and the food good even if the vegtables were a bit overcooked.It is however on a very very steep hill and the short walk from the nearby car park is quite tiring."

• Travel date: Tue 13th of April 2004

Simple but lovely

Good

"We stayed at the Arlington for 3 nights with breakfast 2 adults and 1 child aged 4.

Well all I can say is don't believe all the negative reviews you read, I did and was really worried before we arrived, on arrival we were met by a very pleasant helpful chap who carried our bags to the lift.

now the lift is old and the inner door slams shut so if you have children keep them to the back of the lift!

Our room was basic but hadn't planned on staying in my room the whole time so didn't really matter it had everything you need in it! the bathroom was a nice size and the shower was temperamental as its attached to the taps. We managed!
The windows are the old type sash windows that open wide so I kept them open a little as we were on the third floor and was worried my daughter would get to close.

The cooked breakfast was lovely, if you want it cooked a certain way you only need ask. Set you up nicely for the day.

The pool is lovely and clean all be it a bit cold but you get use to it!

Over all the hotel does the job just nicely! If your expecting a swish hotel with mod cons then you won't get it here its olde worldly with plenty of character.

I would defiantly recommend this hotel! If your a picky person that picks holes in everything then don't stay here, it's good value for money.

• Travel date: Thu 25th of July 2013

excellent

"excellent, very friendly staff, good breakfasts and full of character. Definitely a bargain get away, highly recommended. Brilliant seaviews and nice and quiet. thanks ken for a lovely few days."

• Travel date: Thu 28th of June 2012

Hotels near Arlington Hotel

Stayed at Arlington Hotel? Share your insight.

Arlington Hotel is also called