Good

will definitely return tothe beacon

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"great location, very nice new room, good breakfasts, friendly staff, nice bar. all in all, a good hotel, recommended and we will return."

• Travel date: 18th August 2007

Most enjoyable stay

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"I was more than pleasantly surprised by the Royal Beacon. Yes, the car park is small, but is it really a problem to have to park 30 seconds walk down the road? The check-in was efficient, and the room I had was absolutely stunning. Four-poster bed, spacious room area, very clean and new-looking bathroom suite and sea view from the side of the hotel. All in all, one of the best and most comfortable hotel rooms I have stayed in. The only quibble I would have is that the hot water from the tap didn't quite go beyond lukewarm in the evening (in the morning it was red hot!). In the evening, the bar had a friendly atmosphere and was open late. Breakfast was excellent too, all well cooked, plentiful (no quibbles over extra toast/coffee etc.) and promptly served. I was staying in the area on business and had this hotel booked for me by someone else, but I would be more than happy to return in my own time!"

• Travel date: 14th June 2007

Pleasant, but dated.....

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"Recently stayed at the Royal Beacon for two nights and have mixed feelings on it. The Hotel looked nice from the outside... although maybe in need of a new flag! The car park was tiny, so we had to drive up and down the road looking for a space. The room decor was very tired looking - large crack in the wall... the lino flooring in the bathroom was coming up in places... and didn't look clean. The room was ok with a side aspect... and a view of the beach and sea; which was nice. The bed was ok, again a bit tired and soft... with very hard pillows! On the plus side breakfast was great... plenty of tea/coffee and a fab cooked option... with toast etc.. the service was fast and efficient... even though they seemed under staffed. All in all an average stay, and not somewhere we'll be rushing back to."

• Travel date: 31st March 2007

Exmouth as you've never seen it.

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"My husband and I spent our 2nd Honeymoon at The Royal Beacon Hotel. I was born and raised in Exmouth, but I had never seen Exmouth like I saw it from our room window. Breath-taking panoramic views across the sea-front to the Estuary, across to Dawlish and Torquay. The Hotel was lovely. The food was excellent. The staff were very efficient and friendly, it was just perfect. There is not a thing I could say against it, we will most definitely return. For a 2* Hotel, we received 5* treatment. VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED."

• Travel date: 10th November 2006

Mmm...

Reviewed 15th November 2012

"Stayed at the Royal Beacon for one night recently, and was a little disappointed. It looked lovely, but once we checked in there were a few minor niggles which didn't really match with the room rate (£95). 1. There was no TV remote control. 2. The hotel wasn't generous with its tea and coffee - and only one hot chocolate in a room for two?! 3. We had a phone call at around 8.30am in the morning (the receptionist had given our room telephone number to someone in error) - not ideal on a Sunday! 4. There were no vegetarian options for breakfast, which seems rather unusual, and the waitresses were not particularly friendly or welcoming. 5. The maid walked in without knocking whilst we were in the room. On the positive side, our room had a beautiful view, but all in all I wouldn't hurry back to the Royal Beacon."

• Travel date: 23rd September 2006

Best hotel in Exmouth

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"I just returned from a lovely holiday in Exmouth. The Royal Beacon is a very nice hotel in a wonderful location, close to the sea, the center of town and the station. The rooms on the first and second floor facing the sea have spectacular views. Third floor rooms have small windows and you can see the water only while standing at the window. The decor of the hotel is very british which goes very well with the wonderful old building. Beds are comfy - though with blankets not duvets - and the rooms are clean. Bathrooms have carpets, which I do not like so much. Currently many rooms are being refurbished so that the standard should get even better (carpets in bathrooms seem to be the owners favourite I was told, so expect no changes there). Staff are very friendly and helpful. The breakfast room is lovely, the breakfast ok. It was my second time at the Royal Beacon and I will certainly go back."

• Travel date: 19th June 2006

We enjoyed our stay

Reviewed 19th October 2012

"Exmouth and the area is fabulous. The hotel is perfectly situated and we had a front, high floor, view. There is a steep climb to the hotel so it might not suit the infirm. The ironic thing is that, given the great view, the windows were completely filthy so you had to open them - difficult as they were worn out box sash, - to appreciate the view. Parking may be a problem, but we found a space in the adjacent road, which has no limits, and didn't use the car for the 3 days we stayed. I was told it was a refurbished room so was a little disappointed to find a hole in the bathroom ceiling and other wear and tear marks. I did ask to move but was given 10% off as there was no better room available. To be fair, other than those shabby bits, it was not a bad room and it was clean and the beds good. The breakfast was fine and we did not have dinner there. For the price we paid, we were not unhappy but it wasn't one of those memorable hotels to die for. Its main merit is a sea view so don't stay in any other room."

• Travel date: 9th April 2006

Lovely hotel, great service

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"I stayed at this hotel as a lone business traveller and would definately recommend it to anyone. The staff were friendly and helpful from the minute I arrived and was made to feel very welcome. The room needed a little updating but was clean, comfortable and one of the largest I had stayed in. The room service was from the restraunt menu and at first I thought it was a little pricey until I had tasted the food. It was out of this world and definatley worth the money. I will stay here again when working in this part of britain."

• Travel date: 10th February 2006

Loved the views

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"Hi, we stayed at the hotel last weekend. The views from our room were superb. Would definately consider coming back."

• Travel date: 27th March 2005

Cold room!

Reviewed 19th December 2012

"We stayed at the Royal Beacon in June 2004. It was a typically cold, wet, English bank holiday weekend. However the hotel didn't put the heating on and the room temperature was miserable. The hotel 'car park' has room for about 5 vehicles. Otherwise it's take your chance on parking in the road outside, very difficult. Won't be returning."

• Travel date: 20th July 2004