About Devoncourt Resort & Apartments

• indoor pool
  • tennis court

Lovely Seaside resort...defiantly recommend

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"I was very shocked to see all the bad reviews the devoncourt had received, i guess its one of those old age things ( people only comment on the bad not the good)

We stayed at the devoncourt for 1 week ( myself, my husband and my two boys aged 6 and 9)

It is a delightfull hotel located 2 minutes walk to the seafront, the grounds are amazing and well kept.

We stayed in a family room with a seaview, the accomodation was modern with a really comfy seating area and a brand new telly with freeview and all the amenities we could possibly need with free wifi in the room also.

I am really in to my exercise routine and we ended up picking the devoncourt because it said it had a fully equppied gym.
The gym area was more up to date than any gym i have ever used at any other hotel. It had a vibro gym as well as new theraputic massage chairs that most gyms charge 10 pound on top of what you pay for gym fees. There was also a brand new sauna,steam room, jacuzzi and a large indoor pool

The restaraunt had a really good menu and catered for my two sons (who are very fussy) we decided to go for the carvery which was delicious and the meat was very tender. The deserts were unreal and very fresh.

All the staff were really friendly and helpfull especially the porters who brought us up extra pillows for my sons

i would definatly recommend the Devoncourt hotel to anyone with a family and we have already booked to back next year"

• Travel date: Wed 25th of November 2009

Beginning To Feel its Age

Reviewed Wed 6th of March 2013

"My wife and I spent 4 nights B&B at this hotel. We knew in advance that we would need to change rooms after the first night because the hotel have Timeshare Guests. The first room was on the small side though it did have a balcony with a sea view. The second room was much bigger and nicer,,again with a nice sea view but no balcony. Both rooms were comfortable enough but were in need of modernisation (one had a bidet which are no longer in fashion and both bathrooms were fully carpeted). There were loose light switches and in one bathroom a normal light switch instead of a pull swtich which I thought was a legal requirement? Breakfast was adequate and plentiful and all staff were friendly and helpful. The hotel had good very good facilities most of which we are too old to use and impressive well kept gardens. Insufficient parking was a problem on a couple of occasions. On the whole however we would go back again and have no problem recommending it to friends."

• Travel date: Sun 9th of August 2009

We had a lovely stay here!

Reviewed Wed 6th of March 2013

"Having read some of the other reviews on this hotel I was sceptical to say the least about staying here for one night en route to Cornwall. I had booked an apartment and was told that it was a new one and that the furnishings, carpets, bathroom etc were all new so I felt much more comfortable once this had been established. We had an appalling journey to Devon and then when we arrived the receptionist told me that there was a problem with the apartment we had booked (the people in it had left their stuff, gone out for the day and not checked out). However, they told me they had another apartment with a sea view. I queried whether this was also newly refurbished or new and was told that it wasn't so at that stage I was getting very worried about what we would be faced with and wishing that we had booked elsewhere. Unfortunately though it was now getting late and, having a ten-year-old in tow, we did not then want to have to find alternative accommodation (we were all tired and hungry). Then the manager, Andrew Stoneman, appeared and said that he would show us the apartment anyway and then we could decide. I was not pleased by the whole situation by now so rather unwillingly followed the manager to have a look. The apartment was not new or refurbished and it was tired looking with patterned carpets and old fittings in the kitchen and bathrooms. It was, however, quite big with two good sized bedrooms, a large lounge with small kitchen area and two bathrooms. It was all very dated and the lounge smelled a bit smoky but did indeed have the sea-view. I have to say that by now we were prepared to settle for anything as we had had such a terrible journey and couldn't face trying to find anywhere else. The manager was so very pleasant and kind to us and incredibly helpful, replacing the sheets and blankets with fresh new duvets when I asked and also arranging for a couple of fans to be brought up to us as it was quite hot in the rooms. Andrew said he would leave us to decide and both my husband and son said 'let's stay here, it's fine' and so we did. We then went down to the bar area where there was a very friendly and pleasant barman and we had drinks during the happy hour (half-price) whcih runs 6.30-7.30pm and then again 9.30-10.30pm. Then Andrew came over to see how we were getting on and kindly offered us a round of drinks on the house which we gratefully accepted! I then tried to book into the carvery dinner but was told they were all full up! I told the receptionist that now, after everything else, we couldn't eat! She obviously told the manager because shortly afterwards he told me that we did indeed have a table for dinner and and could go in as soon as we liked! We had a lovely meal from the carvery, the turkey was so tender and delicious and they made a special bowl of chips for my son. The dining room as well has seen better days but the food was great and the atmosphere pleasant. After dinner we asked the manager which way to the sea and he directed us through the absolutely beautiful grounds which do indeed lead down to the seafront so we went for a walk along there. He also told us about all the facilities available to us including indoor and outdoor swimming pools, tennis court, sauna etc as well as mini-golf and croquet. We absolutely loved the gardens and the location. We then returned to the hotel and went back to the bar for the next happy hour! The bar again is pretty dated but it was comfortable and everyone there is very friendly and all the staff fantastic and really seem to care. We had a good night in our apartment and then a delicious breakfast in the morning. We then rode our bikes along the seafront and visited the shopping centre at Exmouth (all really enjoyable). We felt welcome and comfortable at the Devoncourt not least because of Andrew's help and kindness. Yes, it does need to be updated but there are other things that are more important; kindness, helpfulness and friendliness of all the staff, a comfortable, welcoming atmosphere and the brilliant location. Furthermore, when we checked out we saw that the manager had reduced our overnight rate because of the change of room. The total cost for the 3 of us including a good breakfast, lovely evening meal etc was exceptionally reasonable and if they could update the rooms etc then this would indeed be one of the best hotel's in Devon. We would happily go back there and would recommend to others."

• Travel date: Thu 6th of August 2009

Stay away unless you want to relive your student bedsit days and no longer have a sense of smell.

Reviewed Sun 16th of December 2012

"We payed £230 for a two night stay as we were attending a wedding in the area. We had booked on-line and had to take a twin room(14) instead of double. That was fine. The room opened out into the garden but was dark and very smelly. The bathroom had no window - the side of the bath was carpeted! believe that says it all. We asked for another room and when we told them it stank they looked at us in disbelief. The damp in the bathroom was unbearable and the ceiling so low that neither of us had a shower. In hindsight we should have moved but we had friends staying the following night and it would have been too awkward. In short - the hotel is a disgrace."

• Travel date: Fri 31st of July 2009

The worst hotel ive ever stayed in, ever. Shameful.

Reviewed Thu 7th of March 2013

"The website makes it look good. The reality is the opposite. The hotel is old and in irgent need of modernisation. If you were purchasing a house in this state of disrepair you'd want a good 30% of the asking price.

The lobby starts it off. Friendly welcome, but you soon get the feel of the place. The clientele are obviously from the time the hotel was first built, and it probably has nostalgic value for them, but the value ends there I'd say. And we would have liked some value from our stay, because we were paying premium prices for what is supposed to be an upmarket hotel. You get better one star accomodation on the continent.

The place was clean it seemed, or at least hoovered. The furniture in the lobby and bar are dated and dirty. The bar is not better. When its open. The restaurant is empty and needs people in it. Breakfast was good bar the insipid coffee from the pump flasks. The concentrated orange juice was cool. The cooked breakfast was good.

The room we had, well, Im sorry we actually paid for it now that I look back. We had friends staying at the same time, and they had the same experience as us, so this isnt a one off - the carpet, which was also in the bathroom and up the side of the bath, was dirty. The stench on entering was of lavendar electric aid freshener. But we took it out and opened the window, and then after a while we realised why it was there. Emanating from the bathroom was the kind of smell you get from the back of an old washing machine, except worse The carpets were obviously harbouring a public health hazard - I can only imagine what lay in it so close to the basin and loo, and I dont want to imagine it. For the 2 nights we stayed there, I tried not to use it, and didnt use the shower, which looked like it had been taken from the bedsit I used to have in London. Luckily the beds, with 30 year old blankets, had clean sheets and werent damp, even if they looked like it. Yuch.

I didnt bother attempting to use the pool - I didnt want to find the same level of hygiene in the common changing areas.
We asked for another room, but the place was booked out. "Maybe something tomorrow, if you come to us early. And as for the room - "no one;s said that before, can we get the room aired for you". We decided the next morning not to bother, because our friends were having the same experience, and from the looks of the place, there wasnt much chance of getting a better room anyway.

Not much parking
I would recommend you stay away from this hotel until the owners decides to renovate or knock it down. Its been the kind of experience you want to forget but never will. Shame on you."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of July 2009

Still good after 40 years! Shame about the sausages.

Reviewed Fri 1st of March 2013

"Last stayed at Devoncourt (2 wonderful family holidays) 40 years ago and was looking forward to wallowing in nostalgia while attending a nearby wedding. After reading some of the reviews, nearly went elsewhere. Very glad we didn't. Surprising how little it's changed (yes, maybe a bit old fashioned and "retro", but then so am I) and mostly for the better: excellent tennis court and well-heated outdoor pool. Fitness centre looked good, but didn't have time to try it out. Croquet lawn not of tournament standard (but they do have proper cast iron hoops) but quite adequate for family fun, as was the putting. Gardens just as I remembered: a real pleasure as are the location and views. Service friendly and helpful throughout (even in the dining room - see below) and rooms clean and perfectly adequate.

A shame that the hotel seems to be let down by its dining room. Admittedly we didn't sample dinner: unable to get into the carvery as fully booked but it sounded a bit uninspiring. Breakfast, however, was no more than adequate. At a hotel of this standard I do not expect to have to collect my own (very weak) coffee from a large catering flask (the barman was able to give us a freshly made cafetiere at 10.30 pm) or to have to toast my own bread on a highly temperamental machine. I imagine large queues form in the summer. The breakfast buffet was rudimentary and the cooked breakfast (otherwise good) let down by the "unidentified frying objects" masquerading as sausages. No chef worth the name would allow these anywhere near his kitchen. I imagine they were bought by the hundred-weight and stored in the freezer. They should have come with a WARNING: "This product may contain meat." But probably didn't.

Previous reviews refer to the restaurant as franchised out. This is no longer the case and I would hope that, now it is back under the hotel's control, standards will rise. With a first-class restaurant, Devoncourt could indeed be "one of Devon's finest hotels". Even as it is, we had a marvellous weekend and would definitely go back. I might not wait another 40 years."

• Travel date: Thu 25th of June 2009

Pleasant stay

Reviewed Fri 22nd of February 2013

"Only there for a night but were given a suite rather than the room we'd booked. Got a bathroom each! Everything clean and well ordered. Lovely view from 'living room'. Hotel close to sea front. Staff helpful and friendly. Would stay again."

• Travel date: Sat 18th of April 2009

Excellent!!!

Reviewed Tue 26th of February 2013

"From the friendly staff to the well equipped facilities Devoncourt is a fantastic family resort. Food was basic but good quality. Wolud recomend to friends"

• Travel date: Fri 27th of March 2009

Resembled a Residential Home rather than a hotel!

Reviewed Thu 14th of February 2013

"Very disappointing, the first experience was going into the restaurant on the first night, hours after we'd arrived and being informed that we should have booked! We were residents for goodness sake, plus, there were bundles of empty tables, that remained vacan as we ate! Then the bar shutters came down bang on 11pm! We're on holiday hulloo...most hotel bars shut only when the last customer has left, regardless of the time! We are in our fortys, but were the youngest there, it really did resemble a residential home! We were in Zara Room 309, the on-suite shower was hopeless, lukewarm, so we gave up on that after day one! The main bath and shower were even worse, the plastic green/brown bath was a joy! We had to jam a corkscrew up under the plunger to enable to water to come out from the shower, this stayed there all week, and we dodged it with our legs as we showered each day. The bath panel was hanging off, the whirlpool holes were so full of old gunk it made us gag, so there was no way we were going to bath in that! We had to hold the kettle down onto its stand to enable it to boil. The old brown sink had numerous chips in it, and lots of old gunk around the taps.
The size of the room was great, but only because we joined Lions resorts on a 4 beddar basis, so we will always have quantity, but quality, that's another story. The furniture was old grubby and not at all comfortable, the carpets were minging, and carpeting the toilet and bathroom is madness, as the smell of stale damp water was noticed by us within 2 days! We expected 5 star all the way when we joined Interval/Lions in Cyprus, whereever we stay in the world, but judging by this experience, this is definately not going to happen. We packed our bags and left first thing Thurs morning as I just couldnt stand it anymore, I wanted to go home and shower in our clean white enamel bath and sleep in our big comfortable king size bed!"

• Travel date: Thu 19th of February 2009

great stay the first time; the second time was a problem, but solved by the mana

Reviewed Fri 15th of February 2013

"The first time there, we had a fabulous room on the third floor. It overlooked the ocean and we loved the whole stay. I like the town and the approximation to other areas. The second time, we were assigned a closet where people smoked. We could barely move around the room without moving the furniture. My husband and I could not stand the smell. We were almost below ground. I cried and asked the office for addresses of other places if they could not change us. Interval International did not cooperate at all so the manager, in all of his kindness, gave us a different locale in the hotel which turned our stay into a good vacation."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of November 2008

Is it Retro or is it tired?

Reviewed Tue 11th of December 2012

"We have stayed in several 4 * guest accommodations this year, but this one has definitely been left behind - circa 1954. Whilst the place is clean, and the views and gardens good, we had to spend the night with a noisy ancient fridge, a TV so big we struggled to get the suitcase through the door. It is in dire need of a visit from the "Hotel Inspector" and sorely needs up-dating.

Breakfast - no smoked haddock for 2 days running, despite being on the coast and easy distance of a supermarket! The sausages were made of cardboard, the croissants had a rancid taste.

The whole experience leaves you feeling that everything that is not dated has been replaced by the cheapest possible available. We were very dissappointed."

• Travel date: Tue 14th of October 2008

Excellent short break

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"We stayed at Devoncourt for a 3 night break, while we would agree the hotel is a little tired, we really enjoyed our stay.The staff were very good,always polite and helpful,the room was spotless, we stayed in suite 309, it was good to see we were given a tea-towel,dishcloth and washing up liquid, things that alot of people forget to pack, we had a seaview and a small balcony.The breakfast was great. The gardens were well kept as was the outdoor pool area. We used the leisure facility's which we found adequate. We would stay at Devoncourt Hotel again."

• Travel date: Wed 20th of August 2008