Golden Sands Holiday Park - Park Holidays UK

Affordable and value for money

Good
Reviewed Mon 4th of March 2013

"I stayed here in 1986 when I was just 8 years old and have many happy memories!
I returned this year with my family 4 adults and 1 small child and we had a really lovely time.
We had a premier gold caravan with linen and the caravan had three bedrooms one double and 2 twin rooms (one of which was very small and would only be suitable for children.

The caravan wasn't cleaned to my standard when I arrived a few dog hairs and blades of grass on the floor & I rewashed some of the crockery before use, so I had to have a bit of a clean when I got there, but we payed £52 each for our four night stay and overall I think it was pretty good value for money.

The caravans look dated and were the same as when I stayed there in the eighties but It had a good kitchen and a decent shower and was a perfect base for all our daytrips we only ventured into the entertainment venue for one night as we spent most of our time sightseeing around Devon, the one night we went there though was good laugh though & there was Loopy Rabbit club for the kids.

I do recommend this holiday park, please overlook my comment about the cleaning as the park has a 2 hour rule which means that if you have any problems with your accomodation within the first 2 hours of your arrival you can contact reception and they will sort it our for you. This is detailed in the welcome pack which unfortunately I didn't read till the following day as I was so excited to be back in Devon!"

• Travel date: Mon 13th of July 2009

Very disappointing

Reviewed Sun 4th of November 2012

"I should actually be staying at this holiday camp at the moment, but it was so bad we returned home early!

It shouldn't have really come as a surprise though - when checking in there were approximately 5 people in front of me in the queue, who were all complaining!

We were allocated a bronze chalet with lovely rotting windows, dirty stained mattresses and a very strange smell - oh and a wasps nest in my daughter's bedroom!! When we returned to reception the girl said "mmm yes they're not that nice are they?" and we were told there was nothing else available, despite my offering to pay to upgrade. However, once I had said several times "it's not good enough", another choice strangely became available - a bronze caravan.

The caravan was a little better, not particularly like the photos of the smiling family on the website, but better than sleeping with a wasps nest, even if the smoke alarm didn't work! That was until I woke up after spending just 1 night there and my Husband and I were covered in bites! I didn't even think twice about coming home at that point, and when it comes to the welfare of my family it was a no-brainer - get home and enjoy family time without the risk of being stung, bitten or worse!

The park is in a good location, a 15 minute walk to the beach. Entertainment is ok-ish, although a little bit of an over-kill on the bingo, but hey I suppose that's English holidays for you! Entertainment's team seemed bored, tired and under-committed.

Really not the sort of place you should go if you want a happy family get-away!!"

• Travel date: Sun 5th of July 2009

a fantastic holiday camp with excellent facilities

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"we stayed at golden sands in a silver standard caravan which sleeps 6. As there was only my husband, myself and our 8 year old daughter we had lots of room in the caravan. we had all the cutlery, linen, hot water and electric provided so all we had to provide was tea towels, dish clothes and toilet paper. the camp is well kept and has lovely tall trees surrounding the park. there is wild rabbits running around on the grass which is lovely to see first thing in the morning. its aprox 15 - 20 min walk to dawlish warren beach which is beautifull and has great shops and a small area with kiddies rides and slides. there is lovely coastal walk which takes you from dawlish warren into dawlish town right along the sea front, such a lovely walk. Coming back from Dawlish was quite expensive as we got a taxi and its aprox 2 miles from dawlish town back to golden sands holiday site yet we were charged £7.50 which we found to be really high for such a short journey.
The nightlife on golden sands site is excellent due to the entertainment team who work there. they work in the afternoons with the children in " the loopy club" and start again at 6pm every night. every night there is bingo and other games, when this is going on the kids go to the loopy club until the bingo is over. only snag with this is that adults HAVE to attend the club with your child, you can't leave them alone with the team. the enteratinment team managed by paul and becki are great, hey are all brilliant singers and dancers and made us all feel so welcome and their interaction with adults and kids is excellent. There is a shop on site with helpfull staff and stocked with what you need.we are really looking forward to going back again next year and are keeping in touch with the team via their facebook site for golden sands."

• Travel date: Thu 18th of June 2009