Sandaway Beach Holiday Park

Sandaway, Combe Martin, Exmoor National Park EX34 9ST England

Good

Peaceful like going back in time.

Good

"I stayed for three nights in a bronze caravan solo,not realizing it was 'pet friendly'. I had been recommended this and was looking for a base from which i could explore north Devon. Firstly the caravan was basic, a bit tatty, but good and clean, but the awful smells of dog i found hard to deal with, but it was obvious everything had been bleached and was spotless otherwise, apart from scrunched up tissues behind the sofa. The bed was really comfortable and slept like a log. I bought my own pillows!! The views from my caravan were wonderful. It warmed up quickly with the fire on in the living area and i put the heater on at night in the bedroom.
I went to the shop once and asked the shop keeper a question about the track down to the village, but she was rather standoffish and grudgingly gave one answer information. The reception staff were friendly and helpful, but it was odd in the evening because they were on the bar as well. I had a problem with the light switch and a lad from the bar/ reception came wit h a screwdriver and helped. me. Turned out the light switch was behind the bedroom door on the wall and not on the left hand side by the door, which seemed obvious!! I'm not really one for entertainment, but did go up to the clubhouse. It was easy going and everyone was whooping it up big time, but not really my cup of tea!! I enjoyed a couple of drinks there, but i t would've been nice if there were some comfortable seats between the bar area and the restaurant, where not so loud. Loads of tables and chairs for dining . i didn't eat the food. I had fish and chips and the black and white place in the village. Its the best fish and chips and would thoroughly recommend. We also walked to the Sandy Cove hotel and had half a cider there. Fantastic views and not expensive for a drink, but too dear to stay there.There is a footpath to the right of the entrance. which takes you there. Some say the Globe and the Sawmills are good pubs. I would definitely stay at the park again. Just think it needs a bit of TLC and would be really lovely"

• Travel date: Mon 12th of September 2016

Dirty caravan.

"You get what you pay for, but be warn. There's old and clean , and there's old and very very dirty. We came with our one year old and I was worried when I saw how dirty the caravan was . Absolutely shocking .
I have asked to be moved to another one but not a chance as the park is small and apparently fully booked. We love doing this little breaks all over the UK, but this site was so far the biggest letdown of them all.
Summary.
Caravan - old -dirty-bits broken- dodgy windows, not great for little babies and toddlers.
Staff - not great
Entertainment area- more like your old and smelly local pub.
Beach - forget about it . 74 long steps and loots of huge stones and rocks. What beach . With kids ? It's a no no .
Location - well if u like to explore , get out and about then north Devon is the place. There's lots of stunning beaches like Woolacombe beach and Saunton sands and so on ..... Just stay somewhere else otherwise u will be disappointed.

Have a great one !

• Travel date: Thu 7th of July 2016

Badly disorganised! Disgusting caravan! Terrible welcome experience! I came away to have a holiday, Not clean!

I had originally booked threw the sun for John Fowlers Devon coast park, but after booking read such bad reviews , I really questioned and thought I really didn't want to put my family threw going to the park. So I lost the money I paid and decided to re book at one of their better parks.
Horrific arrival experience. After traveling over 200 miles and arriving 1 hour after check in. They didn't have any welcome packs in stock! And we were faced with no bedding in our caravan for over 4 hours! Nobody had explained to us that it hadn't arrived yet, so after trekking down to our caravan and seeing the state of what I had paid a lot of money for an upgrade to gold and being shattered from our journey we were very confused to be greeted with no bedding. And the most amount of cleaning I have ever had to do while trying to get a relaxing break.

When I went and asked reception what had happened they explained the bedding was running late and would arrive very soon. This was at 4pm, I explained our 6 year old boy was very tired, So if they could hurry up. Guess what at 8pm we still had no bedding and a very upset little boy. I had to go back up to reception myself and ask where they were. They said house keeping had finished for the night and they must have missed us by accident!!! They then managed to find me some bedding which was actually the wrong fit for our beds and half was missing which by then I couldn't be arsed to go back up to complain.

On to their hygiene! I wouldn't let a dog sleep in it, how we found it. The amount of cleaning I had to do to get it Up to a standard of health for my family to live in was ridiculous. There was dirt in all the corners! Cobwebs! humans hair in the shower, sofas and bed. Mucus on the pillow insert, both the fridge and kettle were disgusting as they had bits of old food I had to scrub off before even being able for any of us to use. The caravan was definitely not a standard of gold. I paid less for a Haven caravan and got outstanding quality! They need to sack their cleaners!! Update their vans and stop pretending in their pictures that they are modern and clean.

Some good points about park- The view, the view is amazing you won't be disappointed! The hotel has a private seafront, which after reading the reviews I didn't expect much. Yes there are some steep steps to get to it and it's rocky! But it's really cool and worth the little trip down the stairs. The staff were really friendly but maybe that was to cover up all the downfall of the park. Their food from the restaurant was good value for money and tasted nice. But If you do end up at John Fowler I recommend you spend your time out of the park seeing the beauty of Devon.

I really saved very hard to give my family this holiday and was very upset by my experience of the park. I wasted and spent a lot of money at this park and feel the accommodation ruined my experience. I hope they take my complaint serious.

• Travel date: Fri 4th of September 2015

Sandaway beach holiday park

"Just had 7 nights in a gold rated caravan, we were all very happy with the accommodation. clean, tidy, all equipped with everything you could need. on site activities were good for kids, swimming pool was to a good standard also. Bar food is very good and priced very reasonably, The only thing i would say is don't book the bronze rated caravans or any of the apartments as they are very outdated and rough!!! The gold and platinum rated accommodations is a must on this site!! The location and views are outstanding and in my opinion john Fowlers should be making a bigger effort to update some of the accommodation as this is the only negative point about the site. We will be making a return to the site next year."

• Travel date: Sat 13th of June 2015

Excellent location, lovely sea views, friendly and welcoming

"Stayed Monday to Friday on the first Easter holiday week. My two kids age 11 and 8 and I stayed in one of the camping pods. Pod number 1. It was fabulous. The view was really nice, could hear the waves at night and first thing in the morning. The pod was comfy and warm (we took an electric fan heater). All of the staff were exceptionally friendly, even my kids commented on this. The pool was actually warm, so much so that they could go in even though the air temp was only about 9 degrees. The food in the evening was also excellent value for money. The club house is small and sometimes there was quite a queue for the bar, but we didn't stay there other than to eat. The site is a short walk from comb martin where there is plenty of cafes for breakfast, ice cream shops etc and an excellent beach. Will def return again."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of April 2015

Bronze caravan very disappointing

"Having arrived today I would certainly say our caravan is not of bronze description. I am convinced it is more of a budget caravan. The second bedroom is far to small for my two teenage children. The fittings in the caravan back date to the 80's."

• Travel date: Fri 15th of August 2014

Think twice before booking - cheap is certainly not cheerful!

"Stayed in a 2 bed chalet - to sleep between 4 to 6 people - we struggled with 2 adults and 2 toddlers!
Cold...damp...small electric heaters do not heat up the rooms. Was not really clean, there was dust and grime under furniture. Old carpet in living room...in need of complete modernization...beds were really uncomfortable (need replacing) with an unsafe bunk for kids (swayed when you moved) and one of the bedrooms had damp on the wall. We had ants in the kitchen and a leak under the sink. Each chalet has there own immersion heater so we found that we needed to wait at least 20 minutes between each persons shower before the water was hot enough to use again.

The views from the chalet were fantastic however it did not make up for the poor accommodations. Soft play was good if not a little small and i imagine in high season gets very overcrowded. We never saw anyone in the pool apart from ducks as it was too cold to use....!

Avoid the chalets at all cost...they may be cheap ...you have been warned!"

• Travel date: Mon 31st of March 2014

Pleasantly Surprised

"We booked this holiday without first reading reviews, and after reading some, we almost cancelled it entirely. However we decided to go ahead anyway, and I'm now very pleased that we did not cancel.
We stayed in a 'Gold' Caravan, which was no more than 12 months old (estimated) - there were quite a few of this style on the site, mixed with older types.
It was very, very clean and had everything we needed to quickly settle in for our holiday.
Later in the week however, I did speak to some people who had not gone for 'Gold' as it were, and they were a little disappointed with their caravan. They had been before, and this time had brought extra Duvets to keep warm at night. We didn't have that issue, as our caravan had central heating (proper radiators!) installed - in fact, we found we had to turn a couple down as we got too hot.

Overall, I would highly recommend this Caravan site - but, I would say it's worth paying a little extra and going for the Gold caravan - it's not just an extra DVD player you get (as it appears on the description), it's an order of magnitude more luxurious.

• Travel date: Wed 18th of April 2012

Coombe Marting what a beautiful place.

"I went on holiday with some trepidation as a single parent of two quite lively boys, 7 and 3, and was thrilled to be at Coombe Martin Beach Holiday Park. We went on holiday in July 2011, the weather was glorious. The amenties were close by noting the steep climbs, well you were on the cliff top with the most amazing views so what do you expect. The shops were close by and there was a delightful beach big enough to relax and not loose two boys which was handy. The caravan itself was spacious and clean with all the utensils that are usually provided. It was hidden away too which was helpful as my children struggle to sleep on their first nights away but here they slept immediately. The site was quiet at night too which was a blessing. Places of interest were close by and Ilfracombe and the northern Somerset beaches and towns were only a short drive away through idyllic countryside. There was access to the internet in the club house and helpful staff all the time. There is a fantastic Dinosaur park very close by too and the fish and chip shop was excellent!
My children and I all had a fabulous holiday the best we have ever had and fully intend to return as it was so good with so much to do, a week just wasn't long enough!!!"

• Travel date: Mon 5th of December 2011

good holiday

"Just come back from sandaway holiday park. Had good time staff were very friendly and polite too. Views brilliant from caravan and park. Best place rock pooling for going to beach for day best is combe martine. Have lovely rock path walk which takes you round cliffs. At mermaid beach there are few steps 76 in all but not bad has sounds worth going to look for views and rocks tons of them caves too. our caravan was very clean nice too we had basic bronze. ENtertainment good bingo good too son won twice on childrens bingo..boys were in pool too that is heated..if want bigger beach woolcombes not far by car or bus which run think every half hour they on time too .. before came to this park read the reviews put me off bit but when arrvied better lot better yes cut grass too well kept park only one thing that shop on park is dear prices ..all in all like it so much we will come back next year.. "

• Travel date: Fri 19th of August 2011

Not what we expected

"My partner and I booked to stay on this park through The Sun holidays (after they messed up our original booking form as this was not where we were meant to stay), and first impressions were ok I guess. There was very limited parking for when you booked in, we had to go round twice. Then the reception area is also the bar. The staff seemed friendly enough. We were actually given a different caravan then the one we should have had as ours was not ready (wish we'd have waited). There was a very small space to park the car, it was up a hill and on grass. There was no pavement leading to the caravan, you had to walk across the grass and it had been raining!!! The caravan itself was very dark as the sea views were blocked out on that side by dense foliage. The caravan wasn't very clean, there was dust in most places, the VCR in the tv/vcr combi did not work and got the tape stuck, the toilet seat was broken, as was the main bedroom door and the clock. On the plus side, the heating was adequate. The caravans and most of the things inside were quite dated but it was habitable and we hoped we weren't really going to be spending much time in there anyway. HOPED!! However, the clubhouse was small, VERY overpriced and did not have much in the way of entertainment. The food was nice though, and quite reasonably priced for the portions. You could eat in or take away, although the choices were a little limited. The shop seemed shut most of the time, open until 1/2pm and then again from 4pm til 7pm, they didnt have much, had no bottled water! Forgot to order it, and it was quite highly priced. The nearest decent shop (especially for me as I have food intolerances) was Tesco in Ilfracombe, about 10-15 mins drive or half hour (ish) bus journey. It was a god send that the park was on a main bus route but those buses did not run as often as we would have liked. The "Private beach" was down about 70 odd steep steps, not very child/pram/wheelchair friendly at all. And the beach, if you can call it that, was a huge disappointment. It was very small and was mostly always hidden by the sea which never seemed to go out! But it was all rocks, pebbles and stones and was not very friendly on the feet.
The views were gorgeous though, and if you dont mind a bit of walking there are some lovely villages and pubs away from the park. The coastal path takes you round some beautiful sites and we did find one beach (as close to a beach as it was going to get) that we found pleasant on one of these walks. Combe Martin is just a short walk away, as is Berrynarbour, and Ilfracombe was a short bus journey away.
All in all, we were quite disappointed with the visit. For a break where you do not want to do a great deal at all, then this would be the place, but for those who want to go away and enjoy "tourist" attractions, its a little dated, out the way and quiet."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of June 2011

Not suitable for small children

"This site is promoted as a family site!!!! We arrived last Monday with 2 two year olds. Cars are allowed everywhere at any time. The site is on the side of a cliff with at least 10 foot drops in front of the accommodation we were allocated (with NO fencing). The childrens play area consists of 2 swings (not suitable for two year olds), climbing frame and one small slide which was the only piece of apparatus suitable for small children and the road is only inches from the gate to the play area. The walk down to the "private beach" is horrendous and with 2 pushchairs thank goodness we decided not to attempt it ~ we may have made it down to the tiny rocky cove (which my husband did alone), but I am not sure we would have made it back. For children under 5-6 years of age this site is so totally unsuitable and very dangerous(even at this age you would have to closely supervise) . We returned home after 2 days."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of June 2011

Hotels near Sandaway Beach Holiday Park

Stayed at Sandaway Beach Holiday Park? Share your insight.

Top traveller tips for Sandaway Beach Holiday Park

• 0182tondani8 by 0182tondani8

"the royal marine bang on "

• the Beattie family by the Beattie family

"it is like it has been forgotten "

• jewlee by jewlee

"Dont waste your money "

• Margaret by Margaret

"An excellent base depending on how far you want to go each day. "

• dangerousholiday by dangerousholiday

"Advise ~ Not suitable for young children "

• LJ by LJ

"Take walking boots. Be prepared to do some travelling to visit attractions "

• rocky by rocky

"laundrette on site,but there is one in town by bakers ..15mins walk or 5mins by car "

• leightong by leightong

"Book 'Gold' everytime. "

• Alison P by Alison P

"Do not stay in a chalet "

• Sarah W by Sarah W

"worth walking down the hill into Combe Martin for breakfast and a walk on the beach "

• Love life by Love life

"Go out and see the beauty of the area. Book gold or platinum accommodation "

• Jane B by Jane B

"If you don't like the smell of dog, don't book a cheaper pet friendly caravan "

Sandaway Beach Holiday Park is also called