Wedding weekend

Reviewed Fri 4th of May 2018

"We stayed at the Hoops Inn in April of this year and thoroughly enjoyed every moment.
With a demanding group of 16 (5 children and a dog included) the staff could not have been more friendly or helpful. Nothing was ever too much trouble, from changing our rooms at the last minute, to providing a TV in the small bar so the groom could watch football!
The food was fantastic and service was very quick for such a large group. The gardens were a perfect safe-place for the children and dog to run off all their energy, made even better by fantastic weather!
Our room was clean and beautiful (5) with all the extra little necessities you could need e.g. iron/hairdryer/shoe shine.
From booking to checking out, we were really impressed with the Hoops team and we all very much look forward to coming back soon."

• Travel date: Sun 1st of April 2018

Wish we'd checked with Trip Advisor first!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"My boyfriend and I booked to stay here for a weekend, opting to splash out on the hotel's master suite as we were celebrating our anniversary. We managed to wangle the price down from a cool £180 a night to a (slightly) less scary £160, figuring it would be worth it for the four poster bed, jacuzzi bath, olde worlde charm etc etc. Sadly, while neither of us could sue the hotel under the trade descriptions act - it had all of the above, to a certain extent - we came away feeling really rather disappointed. As other reviewers have said, the hotel seems to be trading rather more on past glories than present excellence. We loved our four poster bed, and the room was spacious, but for £160 a night both of us expected some more personal touches like bathrobes or flowers, while the bathroom was definitely in need of an overhaul (it's all very well having a jacuzzi bath, but it slightly detracts from the atmosphere if you're staring at a mouldy windowpane while you're doing so).

Likewise, while the food was genuinely excellent the service was patchy at best. At breakfast it was dire. We had to actively seek out a waitress both mornings, who finally materialised in the form of a sulky teenage girl who could barely be bothered to conceal her irritation at having to do the job at all. Coming down to a breakfast 'buffet' consisting of abandoned mini cereal boxes and empty juice jugs 45 mins before breakfast is finished is hardly impressive either. My boyfriend and I go away a lot and are not nitpickers. We just think that handing over a cheque for £450 (to a slightly scratchy owner) for two days worth of accomodation and food requires and deserves better. I hope the hotel takes note, but then it probably gets so choc full with blissfully ignorant tourists it doesn't feel it needs to."

• Travel date: Sun 3rd of September 2006

very over priced not worth it

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Didnt stay there but went for an evening meal to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary....the pub was very full and noisy but we had booked the dining room and for the prices thought we would have a treat...BUT the food was ordered and 45mins later still waiting so we asked the waiter how long ??? all he could say was they were very busy!!!! the dining room was quiet ..the kitchen were obviously looking after the pub fast food .....after an hour or so we decided to leave only to be told ny the owner to sit back down our food would be served soon .....needless to say after paying £18 for the wine we drank while we waited we left....NOT RECOMMENDED"

• Travel date: Mon 28th of August 2006

Expensive

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"Overall this was a pleasant stay, spoiled only by the high price for accommodation. For £140 per night for a couple sharing a room one would expect a fair degree of luxury but whilst the rooms are comfortable they are showing their age and there is an overriding aroma of stale tobacco and alcohol. The food was good but presentation and quantity (too much) marred the final verdict - I would have preferred smaller portions, better presented at perhaps lower cost.

Staff were quite friendly. The inn needs a complete, top to bottom, overhaul - its showing its age! £140 per night should be buying 4 star facilities - this is a tired 3 star establishment!"

• Travel date: Thu 3rd of August 2006

Disappointing stay

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"We booked for one night in a 'superior' room and were very disappointed. A night's bed and breakfast were grossly over-priced.

The bedroom was a reasonable size and the old furniture was as expected (but why is a mirror near a plug so difficult?!). The real disappointment was the 'luxury' bathroom which had mould around the bath and looked in need of a good scrub. There was no way I would have a bath although it had the hoped for whirlpool bath. The over-the-bath shower had no holder for the shower head so it had to be held and this didn't make for a particularly easy or pleasant shower.

The restaurant food was OK if a little over-priced but breakfast was only mediocre.

We also found the owner to be a bit abrupt although the restaurant staff were fine.

I wish I had read the reviews on here beforehand then we would not have wasted a night of our holiday here nor our money."

• Travel date: Wed 2nd of August 2006

Restaurant review

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"Three years ago we ate at this pub/restaurant and vowed never to eat there again (overpriced and extremely rude staff). However, we recently read in the Good Pub Guide that the place was under new management and decided to give it the benefit of the doubt and another chance. We wished we hadn't!

We ate in a small room off the bar which was noisy and occupied by an obnoxious and loud family. Our food was a long time arriving and we got the impression that we had been forgotten as well as the other family in the room who were still waiting for their main course at 9pm - they had children and the rules stated that children should be out of the bar by 8pm. When we complained we were told that the restaurant was busy and they always have trouble when the bar is busy too. The bar actually looked very quiet. The food was adequate although my steak was fatty and we can't comment on dessert as we couldn't bear to stay in the building for any longer. The meal was also quite expensive.

While the pub looks inviting from the road, it appears slightly grubby inside and fails to live up to its promise. I suspect it relies on passing tourist trade.

This time, we won't be giving it another chance."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of July 2006

Overpriced and haunted

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2012

"Stayed here for a night and thought it was vastly over-priced for the condition of the room. They seemed to be trading on the olde worlde charm thing but it failed to live up to that. Meals and drinks were also expensive.

The room itself was oppressive and my husband is convinced it was haunted. The decor was shabby, the bed clearly built for somone less that 5ft tall.

Breakfast was wonderful though, a lot of choices and bnicely cooked.
But for the price of 140 sterling for one night far too expensive in my opinion.

Not much going on here in the way of entertainment either, UTV was blaring in the bar...."

• Travel date: Tue 6th of June 2006

Pretty grubby

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"This hotel looked pretty but, inside the pokey little rooms there lay a feast for the dust mites. We stayed in a standard room, which was not big enough to swing your bag over your shoulder, never mind any thoughts of animal cruelty such as swinging a cat!

The furniture and under the bed had not been cleaned properly for sometime. The fabrics and furnishings looked shabby and well used, as was the bathroom which had black mold around the bath edges. The bathroom was also too small, being barely big enough to do "the necessaries" in and the shower pumps were extremely noisy.

The windows were aluminium framed double glazed units that broken seals and consequently they were obscured by what looked like bacteria growing on the inside of the glass. I got the overwhelming feeling that I was sharing a my room with a visible ecosystem.

The beer garden which was also the Hotel residents entrance was uncared for and had the remains of a large fountain and last years flower dead pots laying in one corner. I had considered making a fuss about the problems but you would still be left with being woken up by the loud noise coming from the room next door when they chose to have late night and early morning showers (and they did!). The food however, was delicious and Im sorry to say it did not make up for the lack of overall cleanliness.

I found the Owner/Landlady very assertive and abrupt but, all other staff were very pleasant and friendly.
I was so sorry to have spent my hard earned money staying there and came away as soon as I could."

• Travel date: Sun 30th of April 2006

Lovely country hotel!

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Well-run country hotel, with a first-rate restaurant and bar - highly recommended.
We stayed in a standard room, which was fairly compact but well-furnished with a large & spotlessly clean bathroom. Very quiet and awoke to birdsong, which was great!
The bar stocks several real ales and has a pleasant ambience (no riff-raff!) and the bar meals were extensive. We ate in the main restaurant, which could not be faulted - we had a really great meal at a respectable cost. Breakfast next morning was also very good.
Recommended to anyone touring the area and looking for a first-rate county hotel on the region's Atlantic Highway."

• Travel date: Tue 25th of April 2006

Very Enjoyable Stay

Reviewed Thu 6th of December 2012

"The rooms, although reasonably compact have been nicely refurbished in a tasteful 'inn' style and very clean and comfortable. The Inn met my expectations in terms of atmosphere and ambiance, with a real log fire in the bar. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful and the food, including the breakfast was excellent. Although the Inn is situated on the busy A39, no road noise could be heard from the Coach Room we occupied overlooking beautiful courtyard. We had a very enjoyable stay and we would definately return for another taste of the country."

• Travel date: Thu 17th of March 2005

Sheer magic

Reviewed Thu 1st of November 2012

"My wife and I stayed in this beautiful old hotel in August 2004. It was straight out of a history book, with thatched roof etc. Service was excellent, rooms comfortable and a great breakfast. Well worth a stay. The history of the place was amazing.
We loved it."