The Derbyshire Derby

Carter Lane East, South Normanton DE55 2EH England

Excellent stopover/work hotel

Good

"I stayed in the Renaissance with colleagues, & was pleased with the room, the quality of fittings, the general turnout of the hotel, the friendlieness of the staff, & the breakfast - very pleasant surroundings."

• Travel date: Mon 28th of August 2006

Nice non-city hotel in a central location

Good

"Just returned from a 3 night stay with my wife in this beuatiful hotel. We booked it mainly to visit Alton Towers Theme Park but enjoyed the surrounding cities of Nottingham and Derby also.
Distance to Alton Towers in fact is a bit far (60 minutes drive) but still OK. Location is direct at exit 28 of the M1 so it's easy to find and reach. Besides a Designer Outlet center which is quite big we didn't find too much shopping in the closer area but we didn't spend much time searching.
The hotel is a modern business and family meeting place, two weddings took place that Saturday here.
With our room at the end of a long floor far away from the reception we heard no noise at all.
Rooms are not very big but clean (mostly) and comfortable.
TV is limited to few stations with bad quality but OK, who looks a lot TV in a hotel.
Most positive surprise was the dinner ! We booked a dinner, bed and breakfast package for just 61 GBP per person/night and got great value for money here. Every night a 3 course meal was included which cost 22.50 GBP otherwise and is worth it really !
4 to 5 choices for starter, main course and desert gives good stuff for verybody.
Breakfast was plenty and nice, with fresh omelets made to order. Quality of breakfast got a bit down on Monday morning, no fresh orange juice, less types of bread but still enough choice.
It was hot that days and the only ice machine broke down Saturday evening. Reception offered to deliver ice to the room but nobody cared. That was the main neagtive point, cleaning of the bath was not perfect but OK.

Would go back when I want to stay in that region !"

• Travel date: Sun 30th of July 2006

Good value break

Good

"My husband and I stayed at this hotel for the bank holiday weekend at the end of May. We got a great deal of the marriott website - DBB for £48.00 each. We stayed 2 nights. Found a lovely little pub round the corner, the owner a bit eccentric but we had a good time. The evening meal was fantastic 3 courses with four choices. Breakfast was the usual marriott standard, staff were extremely friendly and helpful.
Pool area was relaxing. Would definately stay at this hotel again if we were staying in the area."

• Travel date: Fri 7th of April 2006

Pleasantly surprised

Good

"I spent one night here as part of a group of 14 through work. I hadn't done the booking, and was not looking forward to my stay after having read the reviews on here.
From the outside, it didn't bode well, being a character-less new built brick building. However, on walking in to the reception, my feelings changed.
The staff were pleasant and friendly, and dealt with checking in the 14 of us individually speedily and with no problems.
I had been booked a non smoking room, but they easily switched me to a smoking room on request, with no fuss.
The room itself is what you would expect of a chain hotel. It wasn't big, but it was by no means cramped. The double bed was large and comfortable. The facilities were great - tea, coffee and hot chocolate making facilities, mini bar, spacious wardrobe, iron, ironing board, trouser press, television, desk, armchair and coffee table.
The bathroom was spacious, the water piping hot with lovely toiletries supplied.
There was a leisure centre (free to guests)and beauty salon.
The breakfast - included in the price - was great. A selection of fresh fruit juices, pastries, muffins, cereals, buffet style fresh cooked breakfast, toast and unlimited tea and coffee. The service was speedy and friendly.
Everywhere was clean and the staff attentive to all our needs.
I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again."

• Travel date: Fri 17th of March 2006

Average hotel

"We have stayed at this hotel on 2 separate occasions, the first on the night of our wedding (our reception venue did not offer accommodation) and the second, on our first anniversary.

I would say that the rooms, the service and the food were average for this type of hotel. The main areas are nice but I think the hotel tries to make out its grander than what it actually is.

The standard rooms are ok, they could have been cleaner. The second time we visited, we were given a key to a room which was already occupied! We had already stepped into the room before we realised someone was in the bathroom and bags, clothes, etc were strewn around the room. Needless to say we made a hasty exit! When we went back to the reception desk, they didn't even seem bothered that a mistake had occured.

Location is convenient, right next to the M1, with Derby, Nottingham and the Peak District right on the doorstep.

Pool/sauna area is a nice addition, although very small and if there are more than half a dozen people in the pool at any one time, then it's definately cramped!

We have only eaten breakfast when staying here, food was ok, but if it's busy (as both times we stayed over August bank holiday) then the service is definately slow.

Overall a reasonable hotel, I guess much the same as any 'chain' hotel. I think a lot depends on what time of year you visit and what your expectations are."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of March 2006

Great hotel, Great service, Great food

"Nicely located on the M1, an ideal base for exploring the local area as we were visting friends in the Midlands. A modern red brick hotel from the outside, but really warm and friendly on the inside. Our room was lovely and the staff were fab. I've stayed in Marriott and Renaissance hotels in Europe so was as expected but with a bit of local character (alright duck!). The Derbyshire dishes in the restaurant are really worth a try, well recommended - top nosh!"

• Travel date: Wed 31st of August 2005

Great Hotel

"Recently stayed at the hotel and had a great stay. I had read the other comments before hand and was a bit dubious, however I know the chain and could not believe it would be as described.

On arrival the hotel was as you would expect a marriott/renaissance to be, with the rooms very clean, spacious and in good condition. The bar has obviously ben refurbed and the food was excellent. All the staff were very friendly and polite.

All in all the hotel was a great choice and very much up to standards. Would recommend."

• Travel date: Wed 24th of August 2005

Great Service

"Surprised to read the other reviews. My experience at this hotel was quite the opposite: service was fantastic. We were traveling with a small child and the restaurant was full, but the staff gave us a private room (Residents Lounge) and we had full waitress service and the same menu options as in the restaurant. Service was friendly, fast and helpful.

The hotel might not be to everyone's taste. We stayed on a Saturday night and the hotel was full (wedding party and other families so lots of children). The hotel is adjacent to the motorway so during the week would be suitable for buisness travellers.

We had a great deal at this hotel: £87 DB&B (dinner for 2 = £45, breakfast for 2 = £30, therefore. room rate for two (plus a cot for the infant) = £12!)"

• Travel date: Tue 5th of April 2005

don't stay here

"We often stay at marriott hotels in the uk and usa and are always pleased with the standard but the renaissance Derby Nottingham is an exception.We had two rooms booked and on arrival found that both rooms where not clean, both where shrouded in dust{ they appeared not to have been dusted for a long time}which was obvious as soon as you entered the room, in one of the rooms there was crumbs all over the desk and cup stains on the furniture but most unpleasently of all there was chocolate{ at least i hope it was chocolate} all over the light swich and down the wall - not very pleasant! We informed the duty manager who said she would move us to different rooms but on showing us the rooms we found cobwebs on the lamp and again alot of dust, therefore this left us believing this must be the general standard of the hotel .My belief was confirmed when I stood at the bar and found that my shoe had stuck to the carpet,I looked down and was horrified by the state of the carpet, it was filthy and torn and the bar itself was also shrouded in dust.
Overall a very unpleasant stay and I won't be recommending this hotel to anyone."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of September 2004

never return

"We regularly stay in Marriott hotels throughout England and normally the service is excellent as would be expected from a chain operating at this level of the market however this hotel let the company down badly.

To begin with the non-smoking room offered was on a floor where smoking and non smoking rooms were mixed and as a result the hallway and surrounding area including the rooms were effected by the smell. The 'non-smoking' room had been converted either by previous guests or the hotel itself with the symbol removed from the door and obvious signs of previous guests smoking within - leaving a window open for the day before the next occupants arrive does not really remove the odour.

Thankfully we were given an alternative room which was better but as a result of the mixed floor smoke was still evident.

As is the case at this time of the year wedding parties make up most of the guests and this hotel appears to cater specifically for group parties. the day we stayed it was very busy so you would expect that the barstaff would be up to the job and not in the process of being trained - a request for a Whisky and Coke was not met with the usual "which whisky would you like" instead a Jack Daniels appeared mixed in a hot half pint glass just removed from the dishwasher, while this barman was huffing and throwing the Jack Daniels down the sink the other was desperately trying to work out how the till worked. When asked what red wine they sold by the bottle i was offered one in particular with the comment "this one.... it's the cheapest" seing quite a few other bottles behind the bar I asked if it was the only one they sold. Rather than being given a list to read the barman suggested that i try to read the labels from the other side of the counter.

The room itself was comfortable that is until the late evening when the noise from the hotel generator outside started to kick in - a droaning noise that became so irritating it was impossible to sleep.

We decided to check out rather than stay another night citing the noise as a reason only to be advised by the duty manager that maybe the noise came from the airconditioning in the room which could be switched off. Had the duty manager been fully aware of the rooms she was managing she would have realised that the 'air conditioning' in this room consisted of an electric fan which was not on all night however a glance out of the window and you could see the generator fans and all.

Finally another point that reflects the training of staff and level of service was the Restaurant, no vegetarian options were on the menus outside however when we asked the waiter was certain that there was quite a lot on the menus they have at the table, it did take him a little time to find the one pasta dish without any meat or fish - although it appears in his opinion vegetarians also eat fish!

Overall therefore the service does not match the cost of the rooms."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of August 2004

4 star??? The Derbyshire Hotel???

"The worst bed ever. It was like sleeping in a hammock and springs were everywhere. My husband had to hold the toilet seat up so that it didn't castrate him. Old furnishings. I felt like I was being pushed through a sausage factory on check in and check out. On check out we weren't even asked if we enjoyed the stay or if everything was ok. Just courtesy...? The beer on tap was finished and no one could be bothered to replace the keg. We were rationed on ice when we then had to order something else.
Also note that there are loads of children everywhere even in the spa so if that's something you would like to get away from then don't go to this hotel. "

• Travel date: Sun 11th of September 2016

Hotels near The Derbyshire Derby

Stayed at The Derbyshire Derby? Share your insight.

The Derbyshire Derby is also called