Loved the area

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"We have recently returned from a 4 night break in the Lake District. The first two days were spent at the Patterdale Hotel, Patterdale. We had been thinking for a while of staying there as they advertise reasonably priced DBB bargain breaks and the area is not one we had stayed in before. I had left booking our holiday a little late and found this particular vacancy through a last minute holiday internet site. The area and views were stunning, but we found the hotel distinctly average compared with other Lake District hotels and B&B's. The majority of the staff were friendly and helpful with the exeception of the bar staff who appeared sullen and not very friendly. The food was quite good, but the dining room let it down. It was far too small for the number of guests and tables were squashed together, meaning you were elbow to elbow with people you had never met before and there was obviously no privacy - certainly not intimate or romantic. The bar/lounge was OK, but the vocalist they had performing one night was not our cup of tea (was more for the over 60's), however, they have a large beer garden at the front with stunning views which was a welcome alternative (except for the midges). Our room was the biggest let down, a little box at the rear of the hotel with no view and overlooking the rear of the kitchens - with the sound of the kitchen extractor fans to go with it, from early morning to around midnight keeping us awake. The ensuite was tired and shabby, but clean, however, it didn't even have a toilet brush. The room was clean but very basic - not even a complimentary box of tissues or biscuits with the tea/coffee making facilities! My husband was really disappointed with the room. I would probably go back to the hotel because I loved the area and there didn't seem to be a lot of accomodation choice, but I would book direct and check which room we were allocated to. However, I am not sure if I will be able to pursuade my husband to come back there with me! The B&B we stayed in for the following two nights in Bowness was far superior."

• Travel date: Mon 31st of July 2006

Superb hotel

Reviewed Wed 31st of October 2012

"We have just returned from a midweek break at the Patterdale Hotel.Having worked in the catering industry for over forty years,I can honestly say with some professional pride, that overall the hotel was of an excellent standard. The food was first class,my wife is on a dairy free diet and the Head chef Ken McDonald,and restaurant staff, responded extremely well to all our requests. The room was kept spotless during our visit,and the views of the surrounding hills were magnificent. Credit must go to the Hotel Manager, Jonathan Hurst ,for the professional manner in which he carried out his duties. We were called back to Blackpool late on Sunday night due to my son being admitted to hospital, Peter Raven the receptionist on duty at the time, was extremely helpful in difficult circumstances. Please could you pass on our thanks to all the staff concerned for a job well done, We will certainly visit the hotel again and also wil be recommending it to friends.

Graham and Susan Hague"

• Travel date: Thu 30th of March 2006

perfect

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"Deliberated after comments re food from one review. HOW wrong someone can be, food 5 star, fresh wonderful choice, scenery fantastic, great walks. Staff so friendly and welcoming, rooms spotless. Will definately be back for more."

• Travel date: Sun 26th of March 2006

Lousy food! Straight out of the freezer. Strictly for OAP bus tours.

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"The Lakes District is gorgeous - but I'd stay somewhere else. The service was poor throughout at The Patterdale Hotel and one waitress admitted to me that the food in the dining room was straight out of the freezer. The average age of the other punters staying there was 78. Shabby all round."

• Travel date: Mon 16th of January 2006

Great New Year Break

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"I have just returned from a three night break at the Patterdale hotel and it was fantastic, the rooms are clean the staff are excellent. The food was the best i have had in ages and we were spoiled for choice, the entertainment they had on for the new years break was varied. I loved the wine tasting and the fire eating that they had at the stroke of midnight on new years eve. I will def be going back again"

• Travel date: Thu 5th of January 2006

room 219

Reviewed Wed 26th of December 2012

"having stayed at the patterdale hotel twice this year aug/dec 2005 the only reason we did not book again for 2006 is we have been invited to a wedding that will take place some time /and some were in 2006 when they make their final arrangements, we will be back paterdale no worry. the dining room fare would not be out of place in any 5 star hotel and enjoy going back time and time again the staff are like old mates (thomas the magic pocket, chicetta,and tanya from s/africa ) to be fair everybody at the patterdale are great barbara & bryan"

• Travel date: Tue 13th of December 2005

Terrible Bar meals

Reviewed Thu 20th of December 2012

"Went there at April, specifically on recommendation from Cliffs hotel,Blackpool (sister hotel).
Bar Lounge was empty, however lunch for my daughter was a frozen 'Chicago town' Pizza !. Despite complaints it was a waste of time and money.
Decided not to stay due to this poor display, which is not what you normally get from Choice Hotels at Blackpool."

• Travel date: Wed 7th of December 2005

Good value for money

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"We've just arrived back from a lovely weekend in the Lakes, staying at the Patterdale Hotel. Good value for money, the hotel is situated within one mile of Glenridding and the Ullswater river boat service. The scenery from the hotel was breath-taking (spend a little extra and make sure you book a Lakeland room). Friendly staff, good food and a central location, the hotel is well worth a visit and caters for families as well as couples. We'll certainly be back for another visit soon."

• Travel date: Sat 29th of October 2005

patterdale is a real gem

Reviewed Wed 19th of December 2012

"my wife and i have just returned from our third visit to the patterdale hotel ,The rooms are comfortable and very well appointed ,The views from the front of the hotel are absolutely stunning . Also the food is very good , Always nicely served by pleasant and efficient waiters . We sailed up ullswater on one of the steamers ,we boarded at glenridding ,getting of at howtown and then took a very pleasant walk [7miles back to patterdale] . the local watering hole THE WHITE LION is suitably placed when you return because after some of the walks liquid refreshment is somewhat an absolute necessity. all in all patterdale is a real find ,it is even a very inspiring drive to get to it [KIRKSTONE PASS] the views are are absolutely beautiful. ENJOY

MIKE AND BARB"

• Travel date: Sun 9th of October 2005

Wonderfully Relaxing Weekend

Reviewed Sat 20th of October 2012

"Spent the Easter break with my Wife and two girls (13 & 9) at the Patterdale Hotel. Service at the hotel was excellent as was the food. When we explained that the children were not that fussy on the delights of the childrens menu we were informed that they were more than welcome to choose from the 'grown ups' menu. They were made up with such an extravagant choice. Complete value for money in my book as I had only paid approx £40 each for the girls for 3 nights DBB. The service staff were excellent. The hotel is only 15 mins or so from Lake Ullswater and the village of Glenridding, here we got on the Ullswater Steamer 'Raven' for a trip to Howtown and then onto Pooley Bridge where we went ashore for a few hours walkabout. The Steamers are'nt exactly cheap but they do provide some views that are really breath taking, so probably worth it. Sunday we decided to head into Keswick which has quite a nice shopping area, don't miss the Tea Pottery shop, not cheap but very original. On the way back we headed for the Aira Force waterfalls on the side of Lake Ullswater. What a beautiful walk this is and it will only get better as the weather warms up. All in all a really nice weekend, perfect if you like a walk or even a bit of bird watching. I will definately be taking my family up to Patterdale again, hopefully sooner rather than later."

• Travel date: Thu 7th of April 2005