About Cumbria Grand Hotel

• pets allowed
  • paid internet

The Cumbria Grand Hotel

Reviewed Fri 11th of November 2016

"Impressive Hotel.Service was good all were Helpful.Location nice,a few Shops.a Park,and overlooking the Bay.
Room Good and Cleaned Daily.2 evenings of Entertainment.Played Snooker but needs better equipment.
A Woodland Walk,although it was enough to find our way down the driveway.Meals Choices were good although queues with sometimes not nearly enough Vegies ,but the Chefs were very helpful to all needs.I liked my Breakfast Bacon Crispy so the Chef always looked out for me.It was a nice 5 Day Break."

• Travel date: Sat 15th of October 2016

Excellent

Reviewed Tue 3rd of November 2015

"Excellent receptionist upon arrival followed by continued care and good service throughout our stay. Great rooms, very clean. Good bar food at good value. Excellent breakfast lots of choice."

• Travel date: Sun 25th of October 2015

very poor sevice for the price

Reviewed Tue 10th of September 2013

"Our first impressions of the hotel from the outside looked beautiful, very grand on it's appearance. However, we were asked to pay up front on our arrival. we had been traveling for several hour due to M5 and M6 being congested so missed the evening meal. the only meal available was a badly cooked cheese burger and chips. We had 2 tea bags and 2 small containers of milk in our rooms with 3 biscuits -and when I asked for some more tea bags and milk the following morning, I was handed another 4 tea bags and 4 small containers of milk (4 adults)I was gobsmacked.
The cooked breakfasts was over cooked and choice of meals was very poor. we had no choice of seating area - for such a spacious dining area we were all sat in a confined space and told that was where we had to sit for the duration of our stay.
The hotel rooms are in dire need of refurbishment as there was mold around the bath seals and cracked tiles on the floor - looked very grimy.
To be honest, the majority of staff were not that friendly either.
No we didn't moan or complain, we are not the nightmare of guests, we just expected to receive a good quality service that we paid for- It wasn't cheap by any means.

• Travel date: Tue 10th of September 2013

A Hotel Full of Character

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"Just returned from a 4 day break in the lakes and had a wonderful time. Beautifully cared for old hotel full of charm and character. Staff were all very friendly, food was delicious with plenty of choice. The breakfasts were exceptional. The main lounge and bar area has obviously been recently redecorated as it had a slight paint smell about it. We will return again soon."

• Travel date: Fri 4th of February 2005

Saved by the staff !

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"A few friends and I came to the hotel totally last minute. "The check in" was good! Our rooms were of a good standard. The chamber maids were delightful, they are a great bunch of people especially Nang she always had a smile on her face. Which really cheered me up in the mornings where it was cold and wet! Not that we were suprised by this as we were in the lake district.
The food could really do with reviewing it was very boring and drab! And if only the waiters could speak english then they might have gotten my orded correct..
The two receptionsts that i delt with Alana and Kelly where both extremly polite and genuine. All my party enjoyed most of our stay."

• Travel date: Sat 27th of November 2004

what a visit

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"I went to the hotel on a turkey & Tinsel week. to be honest I was so unsure of what that entailed but I thought that it would be different.. and was in for a total suprise! It was Chistmas at grange over sands well at least at the hotel it was the tree was decorated brilliantly the whole place was full of happiess.
The reception staff were brilliant! We had something to do as soon as we got in with a Christmas Quiz every day.. and with the thought i prizes my husband was really pleased.
The room we had was lovely and the price that we payed we were not robbed! £120 we payed each person for our 4 night stay! what a joy we had.
The food was just brilliant with Turkey and all the trimmings then Christmas Pudding to follow.
The staff are a total credit a joy to be there and were going back as soon as wee can."

• Travel date: Fri 12th of November 2004

** Rudest reception staff, Overcharged **

Reviewed Thu 29th of November 2012

"Confirmed over the phone on Friday night for the next night stay. Short precise phone call asking availability and rate. Receptionist replied "yes" followed by "GBP 60.00" for a twin room. On that basis I accepted and gave c/c details for GBP 20 deposit. Checked in, later saw amount for 80.00 on registration card and thought to clarify in morning. My mistake as staff were not at all accommodating or posessed any customer service skills. It was assumed that I was lying although who would go to the hassle and time over 20 pounds if not correct. In their defence, how could I expect to be charged correct rate if receptionist to get my details correct (looked like another person had checked in). Other issues - hotel looked and smelt like a nursing home with dinner finished by 8.30pm. Don't go if you have a pulse or want to be ripped off."

• Travel date: Mon 23rd of August 2004

superb old building, unloved and shabby

Reviewed Mon 29th of October 2012

"I have just spent one night at this hotel. It is a magnificent building, but it seems to need a complete cheer up. The whole building seems very shabby and unhappy.
Our room was fine, apart from smelling of cigarettes, and a few cobwebs. We had a flickering bedside lamp, which was repaced as soon as we reported it.
The reception staff were very efficient, the chambermaids were very friendly as you passed them in the corridor, but the dining room staff seemed very sullen and unhappy in their work, except for one very large and very friendly young woman who had a nice word for everyone, good on her!
We only had breakfast which was good, although they seemed slow at replacing food and drink that had run out on the buffet.
I would go back but with the hope that someone will one day make the place less drab."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of August 2004

Never Again

Reviewed Thu 11th of October 2012

"1st Room: Disgusting Bathroom, no shower, stained bath, filthy carpets.
2nd Room: Serious Damp Problem.
3rd Room: Cleaner but dusty, dodgy electics in bathroom.
4th Room: Very average but cleaner than the others. Bed like a bag of frozen peas. What springs?

This is a hotel from the 19th century which appears to have not been decorated since it was built.
Good location and friendly, helpful staff who are on a hiding to nothing here judging by the comments from other guests.

An unexpected trip to the staff quarters in the basement only makes me pity them more.

I would not let a dog stay in some of the rooms and would certainly not live there.

Also watch out for the peacocks waking you up at 2.00am.

Prices for the rooms are over the top compared to the quality found. Bar and restaurant prices are typical of hotels with limited competition for your custom.

My advice: find a nice B&B!"

• Travel date: Sun 25th of April 2004

a great hotel

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"we have just come back from a weekend at the Cumbria Grand Hotel and we didnt know what to expect as we had got a really cheap deal. Well the hotel completely won us over from when we set foot through the door.

It was a bit like visiting your favorite aunty as a child ...the decor was a bit faded, but the welcome you were given couldnt have been warmer and the staff were brilliant, and the food, the sort of well cooked comfort food that auntie would give you for tea...good and wholesome with plenty of choice.

We are now planing when we can go again...and the views from the hotel across Morecambe bay are incredible"

• Travel date: Sun 25th of April 2004

Grand old hotel with mediocre food

Reviewed Thu 27th of December 2012

"I spent four nights at the Cumbria Grand in mid-October as part of a group of ten doing guided walks in the southern Lakes. The hotel is a grand rambling 1880's railway hotel. I had a comfortable, well-equipped room with a view across the estuary to Arnside Knot and Morecombe Bay.
The only problem with the room was guessing which 6 or so hours a day that the radiator would give out heat. I may have been given a superior room because others in our party were much less satisfied with their rooms -- tiny, no view seemed to be typical comments.

The food was a real disappointment -- roasts cooked to incredible dryness and tastelessness and rather too obvious use of leftovers. The vegetarians in our group were able to accurately predict their option for tomorrow, as well as tomorrow's soup, based on today's vegetables.

Front desk, the barman and the chambermaids were friendly; the dining room staff were surprisingly sullen and surly."

• Travel date: Wed 5th of November 2003

wonderfull cumbria grand

Reviewed Fri 28th of December 2012

"We have been to the cumbria grand many times, and hope to go many more times . Nice and clean good service, friendly staff,good food."

• Travel date: Sun 12th of October 2003

Hotels near Cumbria Grand Hotel

Top traveller tips for Cumbria Grand Hotel

• CAJ1 by CAJ1

" Hospitality training for the staff, up date and refurbish the rooms, add more choice and quality of the menus. "

Cumbria Grand Hotel is also called