Front of house - we hope you enjoy your stay!

A little disappointing.

Reviewed 17th October 2012

"The Cavendish Arms in Cartmel is a decent country pub. The room we stayed in was a disappointing mix of styles with a rather grubby carpet and cold bathroom. The food was good, but not fantastic. The staff were helpful and friendly, although the lady who greeted us was business focused and rather "cold" compared to some of the other staff. The Cavendish Arms lacks a certain warmth for guests in my opinion. Fine for walkers, racing go-ers. We went to celebrate our birthdays and I must admit I felt a bit short changed."

• Travel date: 19th October 2008

lovely inn

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"lovely old inn nice staff can recommend for a few days in lovely cartmel.Go over to the royal oak for drinks and evening meals...excellent value and great atmosphere"

• Travel date: 4th October 2008

Good for Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 27th January 2013

"After reading the reviews of this hotel on TripAdvisor my wife & I booked for a 3 nights stay. We found the staff very friendly and the accomodation basic but clean. Where we differ from most of the reviews is that we were disappointed with the evening meals. Although they get good comments from many people, we found there to be something ' lacking ' and had a far better meal at a pub in the village. This does not mean that we would not visit again but we would stay Bed & Breakfast and eat out in the evening. As a B&B it is very good value."

• Travel date: 9th September 2008

Charming and very friendly

Reviewed 14th January 2013

"Been here a couple of times now. Both times have been wonderful (apart from the manager being a Leeds fan). It must be the most relaxing place we have ever been. First time we stayed, we had a room overlooking the rear car park. Wonderful room. Very rickety but certainly not 60's decor. Second time we got a room at the side. This was a little small for us (and I think should be priced accordingly). Spoke to the manger and he moved us to a room at the front with no problem. The rooms have comfy beds and are neutrally coloured. But this is not a boutique hotel. Its a pub and the rooms are romantic and a bit olde worlde. We love them. The pub is friendly, food good and theres not a better place to relax than sat outside on a warm (ish) summers evening. Manager was dead friendly and we would certainly go back (so long as its not the small room). Recommended"

• Travel date: 18th May 2008

Creaky, crooked old world charm.

Reviewed 10th January 2013

"We stayed in the four poster room and although at first I was a little disapointed at the decor, having seen it on the website, I must say our room was clean, warm and comfortable and although we faced the main entrance, there is almost no traffic in Cartmel at this time of year so it was very quiet, which included any noise from the bar downstairs. Richard the owner was very welcoming. The evening meal was a really high standard, definately not pub grub. Yes there are creaky floor boards and the hallway looked positively crooked but as previous reviewers said, it adds to it's charm and goes with the age of the place. I'm only disapointed I didnt see a ghost! You are limited to places to stay in Cartmel but The Cavendish Arms is small, friendly and cozy and you cant beat their rates. I've stayed in some awful b&b's for the same price so I'd definately stay again. The decor is a bit dated but the beds are comfy and the rooms clean and this is reflected in the cost."

• Travel date: 1st December 2007

Ravendish Cavendish

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"Regarding the review entiteled 'Only if you want to slum it' My wife and I have been visiting this idilic watering hole (off and on ) for the past 15 years or so. I spend much time working abroad and always look forward to returning to this lovely Inn which in turn is situated in one of the most scenic villiages in the Lake District. The rooms are clean and always tidy and the food is to a very high standard indeed. The staff are friendly and polite and always helpful. Comments about the size of the access tunnel are plainly correct if one is driving a Terex Dump Truck, competent drivers of family cars will have no trouble whatsoever. One should always bear in mind that this is a 400 year old coaching house with a recently and well deserved 3 stars. It is not a 5/6 star establishment and the prices charged reflect this rating. Ron Price, Cheshire."

• Travel date: 25th July 2007

Charming, friendly inn

Reviewed 18th November 2012

"My family and I stayed at the Cavendish Arms for three nights while in Cartmel for a wedding. It was a fantastic experience and just what we imagined in an English country village. The 450-yr-old inn itself is very quaint and full of charm. The rooms do vary in size -- I peeked in a few while they were being cleaned -- and ours was one of the smaller ones, but it was still big enough for myself, my 2-yr-old daughter and all our stuff. The water temperature in the shower did run hot and cold a little bit, but it's a very old building, and that kind of thing just goes with the territory. Everything was very clean. The pub part of the inn was lovely, spacious and welcoming. We very much enjoyed the full English breakfasts and the excellent service. We didn't have a chance to have any other meals there but we did notice that the inn's restaurant did a brisk business and there were always a lot of people eating there. I regret not having time to order one of the delicious-looking Sunday roast dinners. They had a nice selection of beer and my mother was pleased with the wine choices. One of the best things about the Cavendish Arms is the owner, Richard. He is so friendly and welcoming and really made our stay memorable. Upon our departure he gave us all handwritten cards with a photo of the inn -- a nice touch. He was also very accommodating of my two-year-old and all the mayhem that ensues when you travel with a toddler. All in all we loved our stay at the Cavendish Arms and would not hesitate to go back. If you're looking for luxury, this isn't the place for you. But if you want English country charm, friendly hosts, good food and drink in a historic setting, you won't be disappointed."

• Travel date: 13th June 2007

Only If You Want To Slum It......

Reviewed 17th November 2012

"The Cavendish Arms... Where can I start after looking at the stunning website we decided to book here for three nights, when arriving a few weeks ago we both thought that it looked beautiful from the outside (how wrong could we be) We would not advise you to park in the car park round the back due to being a very narrow tunnel to drive through, so very easy to scrape your car, and also very difficult to park on the street due to houses being opposite.. We were shown our room, to be completely honest we did not really expect much especially as the Inn only had 3* rating (which really is being extremely generous in our opinion) We found the room to be freezing, and smelling of damp on first entry, the decor out of the 60's and extremely shabby, the very small TV did not work, the kettle cord could not reach the plug, only way for the kettle to work was to place on the floor (Not good from a health and safety point of view) really is good to take extra tea, coffee, milk, sugar with you, the room itself only had a rail to hang your clothes. Due to travelling for a few hours I decided to have a shower (late afternoon) the water was FREEZING I have never known a shower like it before, also I noticed the shower curtain was mouldy, and around the corner of the bath also covered in black mould, certainly was not turning out to be the romantic break which we had planned.. We have always found Cartmel to be a beautiful quaint village in the past we had always stayed at Hill Farm which if you are after a special treat or a romantic break this really is the most perfect place to stay.. That evening we decided to enjoy a meal in the restaurant, really wish we had ventured out to one of the other many eating houses within walking distance, My husband ordered the Steak Pie, which was served with just a few cubes of very chewy beef, and a tiny circle of rolled out puff pastry, as for my evening meal I ordered the duck, which was totally disgusting, it had been cooked in a very high oven meaning it was raw and really unable to pierce the skin using my fork, let alone try and carve the meat using a knife, I mentioned to the waitress that I was unable to cut into the duck, for her to reply would you like a steak knife. We both decided that we really could not spend three nights in this place, so informed the waitress that we plan to leave in the morning. The following morning we went down for breakfast at 08:30 (we really wanted to get back on the road but after not having anything to eat the night before thought it might be best to wait for breakfast) at 9am we were still waiting, the chef was late in arriving, but surely this is not the customers fault, followed with our breakfast delivered to our table 15 minutes later, just as the waitress was putting down my plate two ants run across the white plate and onto the white table cloth, really was awful, we asked the waitress if we could speak to the owner, after telling the owner our concerns he replied that he was surprised, due to the fact this was his best room in the building but also mentioned he would refund our card for the nights stay, but on returning home and six e-mails later we are still waiting, he really is not to be trusted, and continues to blame the post, my card and incorrect address... We really were very disappointed in our stay at the Cavendish, and really would NOT recommend anyone to stay there apart from someone just wanting a roof over their head for the night, and totally desperate, and wishing to waste money.."

• Travel date: 28th April 2007

Old world glory.

Reviewed 25th October 2012

"Cartmel is a tranquil village in the southern Lake District. We had visited the area before and wanted to stay overnight this time. The Cavendish Arms is old(very), but comfortable. There are real ales and the food is excellent, including the vegetarian options, which is not always the case. Our bill for two including dinner and drinks, bed and a substantial breakfast was £104. The sticky toffee pudding is...mmmmmm! Improvements? A lick of paint needed here and there, but so what! Overall a great place."

• Travel date: 21st August 2006

Great Inn, Super Food & Incredible Value For Money!

Reviewed 16th October 2012

"The Cavendish Arms is a Super Pub in the centre of Cartmel, a lovely little Lakeland hamlet with an upmarket feel to it! We stayed and also dined there, a brilliant meal in a lovely dining room with attentive staff. Our overall stay including the dinner (wine included) was just over £100, superb value for money! Breakfast was equally as tasty, we'll be back in 2006 without a doubt."

• Travel date: 31st August 2005