About Castle Inn Hotel

• tennis court
  • czech amenities

Favourite Lakes Hotel

Reviewed Tue 12th of February 2013

"have just stayed again at the Best Western Castle Inn Hotel for a business conference organised by my company, they use the Castle a lot as the facilities are excellant. Over the years I have used the Castle both on business and for pleasure, my wife and I both enjoy the Lakes and the hotel is in a great location for all kinds of walks, whether scaling Skiddaw or a stroll around Dodds Wood.
Over the last couple of years we have seen a huge improvement in bedrooms and all areas like the bar and restaurant, we have a favourite bedroom with great views over Bassenthwaite lake and the mountains, like most of the rooms it has had a makeover and the bathroom is one of the best I've seen. Sorry but I am not going to reveal the room number, just in case it's not available when I book next time.
What we also enjoy about this hotel is the friendly atmosphere but at the same time very professional service, a lot of big chain hotels should take note, you can be friendly and professional at the same time.
I am a stickler for cleanliness and have never found fault on any of my visits, which cannot be said of some very well know chains.
My wife and I also enjoyed the food probarly more so this time than at any other time over the years, we asked if anything had changed and apparently there is a new head chef who started a couple of weeks ago and had won various awards at his last place. If our meals were anything to go by he will be winning more awards in the future.
If you like swimming the pool is great, a good size proper swimming pool and warm, a great attraction on a chilly November day.
After the conference my wife and I stayed on and did some walks and the best thing was coming back and having a pint of real ale by the fire in the bar.
Well worth a visit if you are in the area is Whinlatter Forest, the forestry have a visitor centre there and tea-rooms and if you are adventureous there is a high wire walk through the tree-tops. In the Spring you can see the nesting Ospreys via a web-cam.
We have booked our room over the Christmas period and I can't wait."

• Travel date: Wed 28th of January 2009

Great Family Holiday

Reviewed Thu 14th of February 2013

"Had a great week-end stay at this hotel with the family, chose it because of the pool and the location. Not quite by the side of the lake but good views of the lake and mountains all the same. Arrival was delayed because I relied on the SatNav which sent me into Bassenthwaite village, the hotel is outside of the village, check the map! The room we had was a huge family room with a bathroom the size of some hotel rooms I've stayed in, all had been recently refurbished with modern fittings. The girls had a bath and there was a separate large shower for me which was great.
There was a games room with table tennis and board games but the thing the girls liked best was the WII computer game. My wife enjoyed the large swimming pool and the spa treatments.
We did manage to take in Keswick which has an old fashioned feel to it and a few walks.
Some good points with the hotel is their attitude towards families which was great, nothing too much trouble, the food was fantastic and even the girls found something they liked.
Slight negative there was no fridge in the room, although the manager told me it was planned to introduce them shortly.
Will definately add the Castle Inn to my list of hotels to return to, see you soon."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of January 2009

Worst hotel I have stayed in!

Reviewed Mon 11th of February 2013

"From beginning to end this was by far the worst hotel I have stayed in!

Booking the 'experience' was the best part. It was quick, i was offered different options and was given the best available rate.

On check in the hotel was dead to say the least, yet check in seemed to take forever with the receptionist not knowing what she was doing!

The room was ok, although very over priced for what facilities were on offer.

The food in the restaurant was edible! The atmosphere was non existant and the bar was very dated!

Check out was by far the worst part. The receptionist was doddery, abrupt and just generally rude, all she was bothered about was taking my money.

All in all the experience was a waste of time and money. The hotel was dirty, dark and dismal and I would not recomment this place to anyone!"

• Travel date: Tue 16th of December 2008

Peaceful Retreat

Reviewed Thu 7th of February 2013

"We have just returned from a wonderful weekend at this hotel. The hotel is a wonderful location overlooking the lake but within easy travelling distance to Keswick and Carlisle. Its a shame the weather was bad so we didn't get chance to explore.
We have had a hectic month and wanted a relaxing break to get away from it all. The hotel has a relaxing atmosphere and the staff were all very friendly and helpful. We had a quiet room overlooking the gardens which was very clean and comfortable.
The food was very good and there was lots of choice. A definite hidden gem. We will be back when we want to get away from it all again."

• Travel date: Fri 5th of December 2008

under staffed

Reviewed Sun 10th of February 2013

"I stayed at the hotel for 3 nights and the room was very clean and the hotel is set in great location these are the only good points. The staff are abrupt and only a few speak english. The management were never available for comment. When I came back for dinner there was only 3 other guests in the resturant. The food was cold and I sent it back only to have the dinner returned with the garnish on the plate cooked????
There is a gym but this is small. The pool at the hotel is a plus as its a straight pool, but the hot tub was only warm and dated, and the steamroom had a funny smell. Overall I dont think I will be returning to this hotel."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of December 2008

Don't go here! It's overpriced and poor full stop

Reviewed Tue 5th of February 2013

"Chose the Castle Inn because of the photos on it's website. This was our first mistake. We were disappointed on arrival as it looks nothing like the scenic views we had seen online. It is more of a normal public house with a grotty extension at the back! Think I'm kidding?
The room we were allocated differed significantly from the one pictured. It was also very small and nowhere near worth the price we paid for it, we have certainly experienced far superior accommodation for half the cost. Additionally it smelt absolutely awful, I assume this was damp or maybe there was a dead cat in the closet!
The service was either excellent or terrible depending on who you got. What was guaranteed was that the food was pretty rubbish well the breakfast anyway.
The list of deficiencies is endless and I don't want to go on.
I will say that the poor accommodation didn't detract from what was a lovely weekend in a beautiful part of the lake district. Thanks for reading."

• Travel date: Wed 19th of November 2008

A total nightmare!

Reviewed Wed 30th of January 2013

"A total nightmare! The staff at this hotel were quite rude at times and most unhelpful. We were given a very poor room at first but upgraded after several complaints. We had booked a 2 night stay but were asked to leave after the first night!!! Apparently the room they upgraded us to was taken and they had no where else to accommodate us!!! The food was sub-standard too! I would certainly not recommend as there are many beautiful B&Bs in nearby Keswick which are of a much higher standard and well worth the money."

• Travel date: Wed 8th of October 2008

Nice hotel but some in service training required!

Reviewed Sat 9th of February 2013

"We had an enjoyable weekend at the Castle Inn and the hotel has much to commend it. The location is good and there are many nice walks locally. The leisure centre is very good indeed. Rooms seem to vary hugely in layout and design. We had no complaints and the bathroom was huge and very modern. Our only gripe really was the time it took to serve the meals. Breakfast in particular was a nightmare. The first morning we sat waiting for twenty minutes for our order to be taken and a further twenty minutes for it to arrive. When it did arrive ours was OK but a friend who ordered poached eggs got what can only be described as a soggy mess swimming in a plate of water. When she complained she was told that the chef wasn't very good at eggs! The next morning the forty minute wait was reduced to thirty but the restaurant was full so we were shunted off on our own to another room. We felt like "Billy No Mates" . Service for the evening meals was better but we found the menu very limited."

• Travel date: Tue 23rd of September 2008

Excellent Hotel for accommodation and leisure - FOOD TERRIBLE!

Reviewed Thu 31st of January 2013

"Hotel comfortable, leisure facilities excellent. Evening meals extremely poor and very small quantity. Our complaint regarding the food was not taken seriously, would suggest that you do not register your credit card before staying, as we requested reimbursment for 4 terrible meals served one evening, and found the General Manager very rude to the point of aggression, he accused us of being Professional Complainers and threatened us with Police action ! We paid our account in full even though we had been overcharged, and he had refused to discount the 4 meals. Decided to take our complaint further to Best Western and Booking.com - watch this space. E and F V Robinson Tyne and Wear . Stay 12.9.08-14.9.08"

• Travel date: Wed 17th of September 2008

Great Hospitality and comfort

Reviewed Wed 6th of February 2013

"Just back from a great weekend in the Lakes. The Castle Inn Hotel was clean, comfortable, and friendly. Staff were very helpful and even offered to clean our walking boots!!

Able to relax in the sauna/jacuzzi after a day's walking. Generous breakfasts and delicious food in the evening. Comfortable beds and smart bathrooms. We'll be booking to return.

Recommend the hotel for a relaxing stay with good food and service."

• Travel date: Tue 16th of September 2008

Great Anniversary Stay

Reviewed Fri 8th of February 2013

"Really pleased overall with our stay at the Castle Inn. The photo's both on Tripadvisor and the hotels own website don't do the place justice. Our room was very new, very clean and very very comfortable. The bed was incredible the last time I lay on something so sumptious was at a hotel costing twice the price.

The food at Ritsons restaurant was wonderful and very very affordable. I had banked on £100 per night but paid just over this for 2 nights ! The fillet of beef and horseradish rissoto was incredible and is being copied by myself at dinner parties.

The spa area was a little tired but nothing a quick lick of paint wouldn't sort and the spa treatment my wife enjoyed was again better that she had paid twice as much for at other places.

Staff were helpful and very pleasant, which brings me to my one and only downside a certain ASSISTANT Manager called Martin (did'nt get his last name to uninterested.) This man was rude arraogant and very unwelcoming. His final attempt to spoil my break by charging me extra for breakfasts fell on deaf ears and he was quickly corrected by one of his far more welcoming and efficent female counterparts.

This aside however 95% there i'd say. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend the Castle Inn to freinds and family. (Avoid Martin Something or other though if he hasn't been sacked yet !?!)"

• Travel date: Tue 2nd of September 2008

Lots of potential, shame about the food

Reviewed Wed 13th of February 2013

"A mixed experience during our 3-night stay. The staff are friendly and helpful, but the hotel is in mid-upgrade, which might not be enough to satisfy the high expectations of many regular travellers. On the positive side the location is good and the spa/ pool a welcome facility after a hard day on the hills. The free Wi-Fi access was the best facility considering the limited entertainment available. On the downside, the restaurant menu was unappealing and the pub food was disappointing, small portions with little meat in the steak pie, never mind the offer of a 'selection of breads' which emerged as a few slices of white bread. The room was cramped and had a strange musty smell, even though it has been recently refurbished. The bathroom was lovely, new and clean, but there was practically no water pressure; not great if you want a quick shower and have soap in your hair, or want an invigorating wake up. The spa/pool is a real benefit but is in danger of becoming another let down; showing signs of neglect, it could do with a good clean. In summary this could be a really great place to stay, but needs a bit of work before it reaches its full potential."

• Travel date: Fri 29th of August 2008