Premier Inn Kendal Central Hotel

• bath shower
  • hair dryer
  • baggage storage
  • newspaper
  • paid public parking nearby
  • paid internet
  • desk
  • complimentary toiletries
  • coffee tea maker

Good

Good hotel only problem is the parking

Reviewed Sat 30th of March 2013

"I was fortunate as I arrived at the earleist check in time and got a parking space just outside reception. It was a pay and display which cost £5 for 24 hours. I have no idea where you would park if the car park was full.
As for Premier, they advertise rooms from £29, of course my room was not on offer even though i booked early. I had to pay £79.50 bed and breakfast. To be fair it was just about worth it. I would have liked free wi fi for that price and free adequate parking. Breakfast was plentiful and good quality."

• Travel date: Wed 6th of October 2010

great place

Reviewed Sun 24th of March 2013

"great place, clean and tidy
service was great
evening meals in table table were brillaint
breakfast was good !!

only down side is the lack of parking and the fact its pay and display !"

• Travel date: Sun 13th of June 2010

Excellent place to stay

Reviewed Fri 29th of March 2013

"Just returned from a long weekend at this hotel and our stay was excellent. We travelled by train, so had no issues with the car park although there did appear to be limited spaces. The hotel was spotless, the room was spacious and had everything we needed. We found it was a great base from which to explore the surrounding area. The staff were excellent - always willing to help. We drank in the bar next door which was nice, the Sunday lunch was good. The breakfast was great, as much as you wanted with very little fuss, apart from our last morning where we were 'accused' of trying to have a breakfast we had not paid for in front of a packed restaurant. (We had paid for it the previous day). It was not dealt with particularly well at the time but I don't want it to spoil what was actually a great place to stay. All in all, we really enjoyed our stay here and would not hesitate to recommend the hotel."

• Travel date: Fri 21st of May 2010

Great all rounder - Free to park if you can get a space.

Reviewed Fri 22nd of March 2013

"I've noticed a few reviews saying you need to park to stay in the hotel car park. We stayed here last month and I checked the car park details before I left which confirms it is free to park. When we arrived I noticed the pay and display machines so I sent my partner inside to check. Our car registration was taken at check in to ensure we did not receive a parking ticket, payment to park is for users of the restaurant or people who just find the parking convenient.

The hotel is lovely, a fantastic price, great room.

We stayed in an exclusive hotel in a British City last night and the room wasn't anywhere as nice as this hotel. The shower is very powerful, the bed is comfy.

We had a room with a double bed and two singles in it so it was spacious.

Our room was quiet but I think we were around the back (I base this on a lack of view out of the window)

Good location off the main street in Kendal to walk up it for eating/shopping."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of April 2010

Good Hotel but what a shame about the parking

Reviewed Sat 23rd of March 2013

"This is a relatively new hotel so everything clean and good. Table Table next door was good for beer, wine and food. But Oh Dear the parking is a nightmare. The first night of our stay we got lucky and had the only space left (less than 20 spaces for a 40 bedroom hotel that does food and has a bar open to the public) The second night my husband sat outside in our car for an hour and a half waiting for a space, he also spoke to someone who had been there for 2 hours. Reception said there was parking on the road outside - no issue at weekends with time restrictions, etc, just no spaces for us. Alternatively "turn left out of the hotel, left again and then right and look for a clock tower "they don't mind people parking there and there is a short cut back to the hotel". We estimated over half a mile away from the hotel and the short cut is good if you know the area and know where you are short cutting to. To sum things up - good clean hotel, good price if you can get it, good restaurant, very good breakfast and walkable to everything Kendal has to offer, but if you want your car to be parked in the same county that you are sleeping in - think again. Too add insult to injury our room was on the roadside and was very, very noisy with traffic and late night revellers, followed by 7am roadworks starting on the sunday morning (bear in mind this was the clocks going forward weekend and my body clock thought it was 6am) road planing machine, street sweeper and road drills, all before 8am (not the hotels fault I grant you but what a nightmare weekend) Shame really because it could have been very, very good. One last gripe I will not pay to receive wifi - we all know it costs nil pounds to provide. All of the big chains are coming round to offering this service, ie "Hand Picked Hotels, Raddison""

• Travel date: Mon 29th of March 2010

Excellent except for parking

Reviewed Thu 28th of March 2013

"This is an extremely clean and comfortable hotel right in the centre of Kendal and an excellent base for visiting the south of the Lake District. The reception staff were polite and charming and the room was comfortable, fresh and clean. There are plenty of pubs and restaurants nearby. The only snag, a very unusual one for a Premier Inn, is the woefully inadequate parking."

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of March 2010

Excellent for a short break

Reviewed Mon 25th of March 2013

"We stayed here for one night and I would recommend it. The hotel is very central but the main entrance is just off the busy through routes. The problem with the parking is being addressed by the owners - they are acquiring parking spaces around the hotel - so best to ask at reception before using the pay and display. The staff were extremely helpful and friendly. The room was well equipped and the bathroom had an excellent shower(over the bath).

The only fault I could make was in connection with the 'MEAL DEAL' ; when we checked in the receptionist confirmed our restaurant reservation for 7 pm; however when we went to the restaurant they did not have the booking and would struggle to fit us in. While they did manage to find us a table this was only after criticising the staff from the premier inn. They claimed that the restaurant was totally seperate from the hotel and that they were regularly not give table bookings that guests had made with the hotel. I spoke to the receptionist and she blamed the morning staff. I blame the Management.
However the evening meal and breakfast the next morning were both excellent."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of February 2010

Excellent stay in Kendal

Reviewed Tue 19th of March 2013

"This Premier Inn was booked on our behalf by my cousin who is a local, and therefore travelling from Australia, we had no preconceptions of the accommodation.

Fantastic, having only been open for a couple of months, everything was as you would expect, immacculate and wonderful.

Only stayed one night, but made use of the hotel for dinner, drinks and then breakfast in the morning for my husband, 2 sons and myself..... yummy.

I would recommend this accommodation to everyone, as it is central to shopping, easy to drive to all attractions, with the only downfall possibly being the car parking. We were the lucky ones, and managed to park outside the door for the remainder of our stay (cost is incurred). Unsure how you would go, should you not be able to get a park as we did, especially as it was thick with snow and ice and would have been extremely difficult pulling suitcases.

Staff were extremely friendly, and the were very accommodating with my children.

Price paid over the internet including breakfast was 55 pound..... brilliant value for a family of 4.

Excellent stay in this wonderful district of the UK."

• Travel date: Thu 14th of January 2010

Good clean hotel; NIGHTMARE parking!

Reviewed Tue 26th of March 2013

"I was advised to stay here by the bride of the wedding I was photographing this month.

Overall, excellent clean room, comfy bed. My room was overlooking the main street so a little noisy.

Big problem was the parking, there is only a handful of spaces outside the hotel and they are not owned by the hotel so are to be paid for after 8 and before 6 (but you can prepay your ticket for the morning). It was fine the first day as I arrived at 2pm and got a space no problem, but coming back from the wedding the following night there were no spaces available. The hotel did advise parking in the local council offiices which was for free as it was the weekend, but I would imagine that wouldnt be free during the week."

• Travel date: Sun 27th of December 2009

Staff are the key to a good experience.

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"We stayed here on 03/11/09 at a last minute decision. We were travelling back from Elgin to S. Walesand as the weather was not good decided to stay overnight. I contacted the night staff as we did not know where the Inn was, he was simply superb, guiding us through the streets as he stayed on the phone. We received an excellent welcome from him and we felt really happy to be staying the night in such a lovely new Inn.
The rooms were fabulous and of the best quality, the beds were very comfy, the pillows had support unlike other premier inns we have visited. The room we had was quiet and everything was clean, new and fresh. A disappointment was there was no clock in the room (or on the TV) and there was no text on the TV.
A bit of a contrast in the morning when I went to the reception to book breakfast ( I had not booked it at midnight when we booked in incase we did not wake up in time). There were 3 staff at reception and not one of them asked if I had slept well or was OK. I booked breakfast for an adult, one free child and a continental. However we were then not down on the breakfast list so it was a bit ackward to convince the staff I had paid, although I had the receipt. We were asked to help ourselves and the order would be taken. There were not many people at this time eating breakfast but I had to ask for the milk to be replenished and after some time of waiting for the order to be taken. I explained we had a long journey and needed to go as soon as possible. The waitress came to take the order and I ordered just porridge, my son ordered some sausage & bacon, she then said "and that's it then " not waiting to see if we wanted to order another cooked breakfast, we were made to feel uncomfortable as if we were trying to cheat the system. I could not find an ordinary teabag, plenty of peppermint etc and was not inclined to ask. As we were eating our breakfast the other tables were being prepared for the evening and to be honest I felt in the way. To sum up, a fab new place, but staff need to speak to customers more and be aware of the need to make people feel comfortable and at ease. Most folk are honest and hard working and it is a treat to stay in a Premier Inn. Each persons stay should be an excellent experience and staff have the means to do this especially in such great surroundings."

• Travel date: Sat 7th of November 2009

excellent base for seeing The Lakes

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"We have stayed in many Premier Travel Inns over the years but this was, unlike many, is very Central to the town. As a result you can walk into town for a meal, or can choose to have breakfast elsewhere, and Kendal has loads of places to eat.
The hotel is new and decor is very nice. It was busy when we were there and it appeared a little under staffed. Car parking is the only drawback - around 15 spaces and you have to pay to stop in these. If you are not back at hotel by 4pm you wot get a place - so we had to park miles away.
Food at the Wakefield Pub next door is great and before 630pm two can dine for £10 from selected menu (midweek).
Would recommend this hotel and at £60 a room you cant go wrong."

• Travel date: Fri 30th of October 2009

First Class

Reviewed Mon 18th of March 2013

"I stayed for 2 nights at this brand new hotel in the centre of Kendal,i use hotels regularly up and down the country and just wanted to say this is one of the BEST hotels i have had the pleasure to stay in recently,

The room was immaculate,light,spacious spotless,i honestly didn't want to get out of bed in the mornings as the bed was so comfy

Breakfast was again really good made all the better by the friendly staff who served me in the morning.

They also do a cracking pint of Cumberland Ale which i indulged in with a few colleagues-

overall a really top notch hotel with genuinely warm and friendlt stsff."

• Travel date: Thu 22nd of October 2009