Fox & Pheasant Inn

Armathwaite, Carlisle CA4 9PY England

Good
Good

very friendly we will return

Reviewed Tue 26th of March 2013

"stayed only one night on a stopover to scotland; room (cosy) very nice,pub was very busy but not noisy, food was excellent and very good value,we will be returning next year."

• Travel date: Tue 17th of August 2010

Hidden Gem!

Reviewed Sun 24th of March 2013

"I stayed in the Fox & Pheasant for one night during a week-long tour of the North West for business...I wish I'd been there the whole week! The location is beautiful and secluded, with a river and lots of interesting wildlife to watch...the rooms are stylish, spacious and immaculate, with an interesting fusion of traditional and contemporary...the food in the pub downstairs was really delicious...even the biscuits in my room were better than I'd normally dare to hope for! Really exceptional...I look forward to staying again when I'm next in the area, as this would be a really lovely location to use as a base for a weekend break! I'd definitely recommend this inn to anyone!"

• Travel date: Fri 2nd of July 2010

Secluded luxury on a beautiful river

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"This is a real lakeland gem. I'm in two minds about putting a review on here in case it becomes so popular we can't get in the next time we return to the Lakes!

The landlord and landlady and their staff really can't do enough to help you and the rooms have been renovated gorgeously. We had a lovely room overlooking the river and loved watching the Spring lambs jumping from our bed on the Sunday morning.

Its dog friendly which mean we could take our loveable lab with us who slept soundly at the side of the bed and was no trouble. Its so nice being able to take your dog with you when you visit such beautiful surroundings.

The only pity was we didn't manage to dine in their excellent restaurant this time due to a family party elsewhere but we have eaten there before and thoroughly enjoyed it. Breakfast was fabulous and more than you could possibly eat, the chef even managed to go and rescue a deer which had got itself trapped in a fence up the way on a path from the Inn midway through the morning breakfast.

We can thoroughly recommend this inn and can't wait to return."

• Travel date: Tue 11th of May 2010

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC A REAL FIND

Reviewed Sun 28th of October 2012

"My husband and I stayed here for the Easter weekend. What a fantastic place to stay. The rooms are beautiful and very modern. The staff are lovely and make you feel very welcome. We stayed for 3 nights and had breakfast and evening meal included, the food was amazing, the best I have tasted when visiting hotels. The walks around the area have spectacular views and well worth going out to enjoy come rain or shine. Can't wait to go back in October already booked. Give it a try it is fantastic."

• Travel date: Mon 3rd of May 2010

What a find, will be back soon! Lovely hosts, made our stay very special!

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"In planning our weekend to the Illuminating of Hadrians Wall and with a dog, it was easier to stay 10 miles away and what luck we had! The Fox and Pheasant was such a lovely inn, the owners were so friendly and chatty which always makes a lasting impression. The pub was quaint and the newly refurbished rooms were beautiful and very luxurious - fabby linen! Loved the old feel of the inn and the log fire. Breakfast was freshly cooked and the best!
The village is lovely and the walks in the area are numerous, much better than staying in the Lakes, more relaxing and a great feeling of 'finding' somewhere 'secret'! Would be a great base from where to explore the Eden Valley, Hadrians Wall and The Lakes."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of April 2010

Cant wait to go back in April....

Reviewed Thu 25th of October 2012

"My girlfriend and I have just returned from a 3 night stay here and we cannot wait to return already !!

The food, the rooms, the staff & the surrounding area are all absoultely fantastic.

The breakfast in the morning was served at a time to suit us and was so big that you would struggle to jump over it. You could have anything from cereal to a full english.

In the evening the menu was mouthwatering. There is so much to choose from and we absoutely loved the 3 evening meals we had.

Sarah and Billy who run the place were extremly friendly as were all of the staff. I particularly enjoyed beating a few of them at cards !!

There are a couple of walks near the hotel that were very pleasant, and a drive of only 15 minutes for a walk in Ullswater is also very conveniant.

I would recommend this to anyone whether they are going to go walking or for a relaxing break.

We will certainly be going back soon."

• Travel date: Wed 17th of February 2010

what a warm & friendly place this is with fantastic home cooking in a beautiful restaurant

Reviewed Sat 3rd of November 2012

"My husband booked us in to stay here in september and what a birthday surprise it was. set in beautiful cumbrian countryside, the fox & pheasant is truly a fantastic place to stay. the owners are extremely friendly and helpful. the refurbished luxury rooms were the best we had ever stayed in. and what can i say about the food. mmmmm. everything was homemade and piping hot. its very rare to go somewhere to eat and find that the food stays hot even at the very last mouthful. highly recommend the salmon and the breakfast was huge which set you up for a lovely woodland walk along the river. highly recommend this place for a visit just wish we'd stayed longer than a weekend."

• Travel date: Sun 18th of October 2009

A very friendly, comfortable inn with good home cooking.

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"Stayed there for 3 nights on a fishing trip. A friendly welcome. Very comfortable room with en suite with a shower that worked. Breakfast was cooked to order and huge and the evening meal was delicious with good natural home cooking and the staff very attentive. The bar had a nice log fire and lots of fishing talk. Lots of places to walk nearby."

• Travel date: Sun 11th of October 2009

What a great find...

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"We stayed just one night at the Fox & Pheasant and wish we had stayed longer. Just a few miles from the M6, the pretty village of Armathwaite is handy to get to and is as pretty (yet not so precious) as those in the Lakes (which lie on the other side of the motorway). The Inn has just been refurbished and what a lovely job they have made of it. Rooms are in the Victorian part of the building and ours had elegant muted colours, a smart bathroom with power shower, a fireplace in the bedroom and a huge window overlooking the lane and river. There was a huge and incredibly comfy bed which, slightly strangely, sat in the big window (have to be careful when throwing back the curtains in the morning) but a terrific room for all that. In the older part of the building, there's an attractive restaurant and a cosy bar and we had very good homestyle food. The Inn is dog friendly and there are excellent walks straight from the door. We walked along a footpath on the banks of the beautiful River Eden, just a few yards from the hotel, and I gather there's another path round the back of the hotel which takes you up onto a grouse moor. Definitely going to stay there again, highly recommended."

• Travel date: Sat 26th of September 2009

Hotels near Fox & Pheasant Inn

Stayed at Fox & Pheasant Inn? Share your insight.