Crown & Mitre Hotel

4 English Street, Carlisle CA3 8HZ England

Good

Crown and Mitre? Might not!

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"Finally arrived after driving around Carlisle for what seemed like forever to find the mystery carpark. After running down people walking between the 2 M and S stores, we found the gate, and the bell. We rang as instructed, and waited. And waited. About 10 minutes later a boy ran out with the key. We tripped over the carpark (needs new tarmac!!), and headed to the lobby - the reception was behind a pillar, and the Polish receptionist insisted they didn't have our booking, despite the fact that we'd booked in Feb, 2 rooms for 5 people - it was important we stayed here as it was for a wedding happening there, and with 2 people over 80, a long walk was out of the question!
After telling us that it wasn't their fault, we were made to wait while a coach load of people were checked in. Finally the manager appeared, and we were allocated 3 rooms, however the two oldies in our party had to cross back over the car park in the dark to their room.
There was no apology made of the "mix-up" of our booking.
The breakfast was a self-service affair, but it did the job. The rooms had at some time been refurbished, but the outside could do with a refit, and it was virtually impossible to actually get in the rooms, as the handles seem to have been broken at some time, and never had been fixed."

• Travel date: Tue 1st of November 2005

very pleased

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"recently stayed at the crown and mitre hotel just like to say what an enjoyable time we had the atmosphere was relaxed and the staff were friendly cant wait to go back soon can hghly recomend it to everyone"

• Travel date: Sun 6th of February 2005

Hotel couldn't do enough to help

Reviewed Fri 19th of October 2012

"I recently stayed at the Crown and Mitre for 2 nights on 21 January 2005 and I have just been reading the other reviews for this hotel and can not believe it is the same one.

The staff were very friendly and very helpful. The dance floor is brilliant, just the right size. The rooms were so clean and tidy. The whole hotel is fantastic. Words really can not do the Crown & Mitre justice. I also know that Daniel Bedingfield stayed there recently, so that says it all really. An excellent hotel!!

I can not praise this hotel enough. I just hope that they read this and are thankful for a little praise and not just complaints.

I would recommend this hotel every time."

• Travel date: Wed 26th of January 2005

Disagree with tripadvisor members

Reviewed Thu 18th of October 2012

"Woodward are a training company in Carlisle and we have been placing our students in the Crown & Mitre Hotel for over 2 years now. None of our students have ever complained about it or the staff.

We disagree with the two Tripadvisor members completely. The Crown & Mitre is a lovely hotel, full of history and charm. The staff are extremely helpful (particularly Joan who looks after all of our bookings) and The Crown & Mitre was one of the only hotels to open their doors and take in people who lost their homes at the time of the floods, even without electricity when most other hotels shut down and sent people away."

• Travel date: Mon 24th of January 2005

the worst hotel ever - probably

Reviewed Wed 7th of November 2012

"AN ABSOLUTE DUMP, 1 night (too many) 2nd January 2005. Expensive, filthy room (executive suite), soiled bedclothes, fold down bed from wardrobe, 2 extra sofa beds, lots of bits of trashy, scratched and dirty, rubbish, junk furniture, broken TV, biscuits under bed and crumbs in cupboards. Disgustingly dirty en-suite with cracked floor tiles and suspicious brown marks. Wrinkled carpets to trip over, very poor room service.
Terrible front desk service, tried to pressurise into eating in hotel within ½ hour of arriving (after 8 hour journey) so chef could go home early – Grubby restaurant stinks of putrid meat, could not eat breakfast without heaving.
Extremely limited Room service (no menu provided) no drinking water in room.
Smelly unmanned shabby and dirty bar, scruffy furnishings broken TV. Whole 1st floor reeks of cooking fat.
Rude and unhelpful Duty Manager upon complaining, You’d be better off in a YMCA or snowed in on the M80 in your car!!!

Good points – none at all, left in tears after we were made to pay most of the bill after being threatened that our card would be deducted whether we agreed or not despite out complaints to Management"

• Travel date: Wed 5th of January 2005

Appalling Standards

Reviewed Mon 12th of November 2012

"We stayed at the Crown and Mitre on 2nd January 2005 in what is alledged to be an Executice Room and experienced the following:
Pushy staff trying to force us to eat early (7pm) in the restaurant so that the chef could go home early;
Stained bed sheets;
Dirty furniture throughout the hotel;
Restaurant smelt of raw meat or worse;
Cracked and dirty tiles in bathroom - wouldn't like to guess what the dirt actually was!!!!
Swimming pool closed;
Unhelpful night porter who's only response to is the bar still open was "NO";
Extremely limited room service and night porter was rude on telephone;
Biscuit crumbs under bed and in cupboards;
Breakfast waitress was hoovering when we arrived in restaurant and then made the toast without washing her hands;
Argumentative Duty Manager when settling bill;
General Manager could not be contacted because it was his day off;

I could go on.

Would we stay there again - definitely NOT. I wouldn't even let my dog stay there, it was that dirty.

Stay there at your peril !!!!!!"

• Travel date: Wed 5th of January 2005

Didn't like the Crown & Mitre

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"We stayed here for one night, October 11, 2004. While the location is good, the car park is VERY difficult to find. When we finally did get there, the gate was locked up tight with no one around. We had to park in another car park, and asked at the desk. We were told to "ring the bell". When we got back to the hotel car park, the bell was very difficult to find. The desk staff was snobby, and the room defined the "shabby" part of "shabby chic". Worst part? NO HOT WATER!

The good parts: good location right on the pedestrian shopping area of town, so it has easy access to the castle and museums. The food was pretty good and the only waitperson worked her tail off. It is easy to see that this was probably a grand place when it opened in 1901, but they might want to take a stab at a little updating.

We would never stay here again."

• Travel date: Mon 1st of November 2004

Exelent is not good enough for this hotel

Reviewed Mon 8th of October 2012

"I came home last week from an unexpected stay at this hotel.

My mother & father were on a 5day ccoach trip with Callidonian Travel.

Unfortunatley my mother was rushed to hospital on the Tuesday night my parents both of 80 plus yrs the sittuation was exently dealt with by the hotel manager.

I myself ended up traveling down and ended up staying12 days I dealt with a lovely lady caled Joan. I had an exelent greeting on arrival and was taken to my fathers room to his surprise and relief of the circumstances. Their helpfullnes was unlimited and could not do enough to make us comfortable at such a stesfull and worrying time.

Thr recepionists were exelent as were all the staff from the lovely lady that done our room to the chef.

The meals were exelent and they even fitted round our visiting times for the hospital to get there in time which in such a busy hotell was very much appreciated. They even phoned / booked our taxi for us on time for the visting which all relieved part of the stress.

I cannot thank the hotel and satff enough for making us feel as at home as possible and would recomend it to anybody it is first class rooms and all.

I myself will return to the hotel under happier circumstances many times I hope in the future.

It is also in exelent location and a shoppers paradice and a great sight seeing location if this is your choice.

You will never find another hotel and friendlier staff like it in Geat Briton

Cheers to the Crown and Mitre Carlile

I am also pleased to say my Mother,Father and myself are all home safe ad mother is well!!
16 1o 2004

Elizabeth Moran Fife Scotland

I do hope you will manage to pass this on to the Hotel"

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of October 2004

Great location but thin walls....

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"In one respect I can say that the Crown and Mitre is a great hotel in a great location. It's right in the middle of the old town square and easy walking distance to Carlisle Castle and the Tullie Museum, or walking from the train station. What I had a hard time with was the fact that the walls were so darn thin at the hotel. I stayed for two nights and God forbid I wanted to have peace and quiet for ten minutes. You can hear the televisons through the walls, and you can literally feel and hear a door slam from down the hall, let alone next door.....if someone said hello to someone outside, they might as well have opened your door and said hello to you as well.
However, the location, staff, feeling of safety, and general atmosphere all get high marks. I paid 55 pound per night and felt it was decent deal.....now only if I had some peace and quiet! Haha...."

• Travel date: Fri 22nd of October 2004

Very nice

Reviewed Mon 26th of November 2012

"Great location and a very nice hotel. Attentive staff and one of the nicest hotel bars you will ever see. Food was pretty good for UK. Rooms are very small, but well appointed. Bathrooms have towel warmers.

I'd gladly return to Crown & Mitre."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of July 2004

Hotels near Crown & Mitre Hotel

Stayed at Crown & Mitre Hotel? Share your insight.

Crown & Mitre Hotel is also called