9 Self Contained Apartments

• desk
  • complimentary toiletries
  • ipod docking station
  • iron
  • paid private parking on site
  • coffee tea maker
  • allergy free room

Great Hotel

Reviewed 5th December 2012

"My husband and I have just returned from a weekend here. From the outset, the staff were very friendly and helpful - customer service is obviously very important to them. We arrived 2 hours earlier than check in, but were able to check in without problem. We had booked an executive room, with special weekend rates, direct with the hotel. The room was clean, with luxurious furnishings such as fluffy feather pillows and aromatherapy toiletries. As a previous reviewer has mentioned, there was a plentiful supply of tea/coffee/milk and a cafetiere.. We ate in the restaurant the first night - residents get a 10% discount - and the food was delicious. Bar prices were very reasonable. The bed in the room was made up of 2 twins pushed together. The following morning we asked if we could have a room with a proper double bed, and were given an upgrade to one of their apartments, which was amazing! The location was great - right on the main square - with parking at £5 per 24 hours. Breakfast was lovely - egg, bacon and toast, plus a buffet with cereals, fruit, croissants, yoghurts, cheese and smoked salmon. The staff were all incredibly helpful, and we would not hesitate in staying here again."

• Travel date: 2nd November 2006

Nicely updated traditional hotel

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"Found the hotel easily, but discovered that the car park is reached just before the hotel and the hotel is on a one-way street so missing the entrance to the car park required a drive round the (quite large) block. Had a standard double room, which was nicely furnished with a comfortable bed and several nice touches including a plentiful supply of tea and coffee rather than just two servings of each and an alarm clock-radio with CD player. The room was at the back of the building and was quiet; the bed was comfortable. There was a computer with free internet access on one of the landings, which was good. Took dinner in the restaurant, where the food was good, but the meal was spoilt by the staff setting up the room for breakfast (from about 8pm onwards). The desserts were rather expensive. Breakfast was good, but had rather a curious arrangement whereby the inclusive rate was for an unlimited selection from the buffet plus bacon and a fried egg. Any additional cooked breakfast items had were extra, which I thought was unnecessarily parsimonious. Apart from the minor issues in the dining room, I thought that the Royal was a well run hotel - it was clear that the owners are committed to ensuring that guests enjoy their stay."

• Travel date: 23rd October 2006

spiral delights

Reviewed 5th December 2012

"Had a last minute one night stay after seeing reviews on this site. A great place; helpful staff for the phone booking and a remarkably easy check in. Had Apartment 100 - bed/shower room downstairs; spiral staircase to a smart kitchen / lounge upstairs. Kitchen had everything you would need - all in top notch condition - ice in the freezer and an ice bucket too. 28 inch TV and a radio / CD system. Breakfast included is a nice buffet plus bacon and egg in the nearby Royal Hotel. Wish we could have stayed longer. Highly recommended."

• Travel date: 16th October 2006

This is my favourite hotel

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"As a business traveller I spend a lot of time in hotels and this is by far my favourite! I stay in The Royal on average 10 times a year and have done so for the past 8 years and the standard of service has been consistantly excellent with a warm and friendly welcome on every occasion. The rooms have been upgraded over the years and have always been very comfortable and cosy and the apartments are beautiful. In most hotels I stay in I use room service as I can't face a restaurant as a lone female diner, however Mannings is a restaurant I look forward to eating in on every visit, the seafood is always particularly delicious. Over the years I have had various collegues and friends accompany me on my visits to Cornwall and they all agree that I am very lucky to stay regularly at such a lovely hotel, in fact my Husband is always a little jealous when he knows I am staying there as we had a lovely visit together a couple of summers ago."

• Travel date: 12th July 2006

Loved it -- would definitely return

Reviewed 14th November 2012

"My boyfriend stayed in one of these apartments for two nights in July as part of a short break in Cornwall. We had number 203, a first-floor apartment. The first thing that impressed us was the iron security gate with intercom, providing secure and private access to the car park. The apartments themselves are in a lovingly restored building (see photo) painted lovely neutral colours and having little extras like wooden tables and chairs outside. Check-in was quick and easy and we were over the moon with the apartment when we got inside it. It had a good-sized modern kitchen area with everything you could really need (oven, hob, microwave, kettle, filter coffee-maker, pots, pans, crockery, dishwasher...), and the other half of the spacious room contained a little seating area, a work desk, and TV (see photo). The bedroom was a good size as well, with a HUGE bed, widescreen TV, spacious wardrobes, and bedside tables (see photo). The bathroom was also lovely -- no bath, but the shower was a two-person affair and the decor was very up-to-date and clean (see photo). Coming and going from the apartment was very easy as your swipe card for your room also lets you in and out of the security gate. Don't keep your card near your mobile phone, though -- we did this and it somehow wiped the card, but reception gave us a fresh one straight away. The location is great with views of the cathedral from most of the apartments I'd say -- if not all. There is a lovely cafe-bar in the little square opposite the entrance gate -- the MI Bar -- which does nice snacks and pasta dishes with Cornish breads, yum! We paid the normal rate of £130 a night for our apartment, which included breakfast. This was taken in Mannings Restaurant, which is part of the Royal Hotel (they all seem to be under one ownership). Staff in the restaurant were extremely friendly and helpful each day and breakfast was a real pleasure. The breakfast included in the B&B rate is a continental buffet, plus you get tea, coffee, toast, and bacon and egg cooked to your preference. The buffet was fabulous and included three fruit juices, yogurts, many different cereals, cheeses, smoked salmon, croissants, melon, passionfruit, mandarin, prunes, grapefruit, and glasses of iced water among other things. The cooked part consists of two rashers of bacon and one egg -- this you can have in whichever "format" you prefer and it was always really tasty; I think the eggs must have been fresh local produce. It seems silly to devote a whole paragraph to breakfast but we were so pleased after our first one that we actually looked forward to the second one, which I don't think I'd ever done before! The attitude of the Royal Hotel and Mannings Aparthotel seems to be of modern, casual, caring hospitality. They specify that the apartments are created with the business traveller in mind, but we were on a leisure break and were still immensely pleased. The furnishings are all up-to-date, tasteful, contemporary and don't look cheap. In the information folder in the apartment there is even a page that tells you where the furnishings in your apartment came from, in case you fancied anything there for your own house. The little things about our stay there really helped with the overall impression -- for example, we had a nice selection of tea and coffee things by the kettle, but when we were looking through the cupboards, we found a big jar stuffed full of further supplies in case you should run out. The toiletries were also lovely -- starfruit and pear -- and shampoo, body wash, yummy little soaps and shower caps were provided and replenished each day. There were plenty of towels in the bathroom, plus extra in the cupboard, along with an extra pack of toilet rolls. One of the things that sticks in my mind is that the end of the loo roll in the bathroom was folded into a point. This seems like such a silly thing to point out but it's things like this that confirmed to me that the owners of Mannings Aparthotel (and therefore probably the Royal Hotel) try to think of every little thing to make you feel welcome and give you the best hospitality. We would definitely go back to the Mannings Aparthotels and we would also like to stay in the Royal Hotel as well, which I guess is much the same (one difference in staying in the apartments is that you can't get room service, which we like to have the option for). All in all, a wonderful stay -- we were very impressed indeed."

• Travel date: 11th July 2006

The good & the bad but no ugly!

Reviewed 16th October 2012

"Executive rooms in this hotel are very good. Clean, with nearly all the things you would expect as the top rooms in a hotel. Fabulous beds, coffee & tea making facilities with plenty of stock, good iron and board, hairdryer. Staff are friendly and helpfull, all requests were fullfilled quickly and pleasantly, you get the feeling they like their job and we heard that the place is a good employer. Location is the nearest to the centre you can get. Breakfast buffet has good cold selection with hot food cooked well to order (no hot plates of congealed eggs and dry bacon) Minus points:- no bathrobes, widescreen TVs have square tv feed (why do so many hotels get this wrong? there is no point in having a widescreen TV then showing a picture with black bars down each side!!!), no aircon, rooms on the side of dinning rooms suffer from cooking smells. No lift (pack lightly if staying on upper floors). Conclusion:- This is a three star hotel with ideas above it's station and generally gets it right. It is however not a bargain and bathrobes and aircon should come as standard at the price. Non executive rooms looked pretty much the norm for a provincial UK hotel. (dark wood and dated decor). The friendliness of the staff was welcome on reception after a long train journey and a pleasant suprise from housekeeping staff who rarely utter a word. However it could be muted in the breakfast room where it could be considered to be over familiar or even rude. Did not get a chance to eat there in the evening but heard good things about the place. We did however eat at the Alverton Manor which was superb and we would think about staying there in the future, although it may be a little stuffy for fans of the Royal."

• Travel date: 15th April 2006

Great location for Truro

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"Who would have thought that there would be no where else to stay on a Monday and Tuesday night in mid-October in Truro? That's the situation we found ourselves in while travelling through Cornwall in 2005. We tried all the B&Bs and hotels the tourist information centre gave us - all the possibilities they had - and came up empty until we got to the Royal Hotel. They didn't have anything there, but also manage the Manning ApartHotel next door. At that point we were grateful for anything. It was more expensive than we'd bargained for, but didn't begrudge the price considering the value we got. We were in room 100. Enter at street level to the bedroom and bathroom. Go up circular staircase to kitchen and lounge area. My husband would have preferred to watch TV in bed, but that was his only complaint. Wonderful bathroom facilities - probably the best of our 22-night trip. Fabulous location for visiting the cathedral. Wonderful buffet breakfast included in Royal Hotel next door in morning. Wonderful to having private parking lot right outside your door. Not at all noisy at night considering you're right in the thick of things. Very helpful staff. We made use of the laundry service. Again a little pricey, but clean clothes beautifully done and delivered right to our room. Overall, a real treat on our trip. Only complaint - and not their fault - was the the Lloyd's bank machine just up the street ripped us off for £300 and we're still trying to get it back 2 months later. Beware!"

• Travel date: 10th December 2005

Conveniently located with excellent service

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"Stayed here for one night whilst in Cornwall for a friend's wedding. We had booked a standard double room, but arrived early on the first day (11.30am) and understandably our room was not ready (regular check in time is 4pm). However, since we needed to get ready for the wedding we were upgraded to an executive room which was a very pleasant surprise. I agree with the previous reviewer's comments that these rooms were just as pictured on the website, very clean, modern and comfortable. The breakfast in the morning was excellent and the service was also great. All in all, we enjoyed our stay at the Royal Hotel and would stay here again if visiting Truro. In terms of advice to others, I would recommend booking an executive room to make sure you get the modern rooms displayed on the website."

• Travel date: 5th December 2005

The Royal, fit for a king!

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"Felt I had to write a review after reading the prvious reviewers comments. We booked and after reading that review I nearly cancelled, but decided to cross my fingers instead. I'm glad I did! The hotel itself is a lovely old building in the centre of the City of Truro. It has obviously had some serious up-dating, the look inside is a perfect cross between traditional and contemporary. The hotel has a restaraunt and bar, more of which later. Our welcome into the hotel was warm and friendly and this continued throughout our stay. We booked an executive room (note to previous reviewer: these are the rooms featured on the website, and to be fair it does state that clearly) and it was exactly as the images on-line, contemporary, clean and comfortable. There were no flat screen televisions, but i couldn't find a mention of this on the website anyway so wasn't expecting there to be. The first night we planned to eat in the hotel restaurant (Mannings). We had a fantastic meal, beautifully cooked and presented, and not silly money either. The service was amazing, sometimes you forget what good service is, this place has it, trust me. Then to the bar for champagne cocktails. Perfect! We eat at Mannings for the remaining 2 nights of our stay because it was just so good. Now I haven't done that in a long time! Best of all everyone from the restaurant manager to the waitress and bar-man recognised us and treated us like regulars. To sum up, i honestly don't think you can go wrong with this hotel. My advice is book the exec room, eat in the restaurant and have a champagne cocktail, you'll love this place. We're going back and next time we're trying their appartments."

• Travel date: 3rd November 2005

Beware of misleading website

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"Myself and my wife had booked 3 nights accomodation in The Royal Hotel in a superior room after much research over the internet. They have an excellent website advertising modern and contemporary rooms, flat screen TV's etc. We were taken in by this and were expecting a similar type room. When we checked in earlier this month we could see the plans of the improvements etc up on the walls so we knew progress was taking place. We checked into our room and instead of stepping into 2005 we stepped into the 1970's. We complained and were given an option of another room, but again same story. We could see the rooms that we expected being made up, however the hotel was full. We complained and decided not to stay. Beware when booking what sort of room you are getting or think you are getting. This ruined our stay in Cornwall as it meant we had to go looking for accomodation agin and needless to say it was not easy to find. If you get a nice room as per website, stay, if not forget it."

• Travel date: 28th September 2005