This hotel is now closed.

Hotels near Chy-An-Albany

Disappointing customer service

Reviewed Tue 24th of March 2015

"We stayed here for 3 nights and was initially very happy with the room and breakfast but on the first morning after breakfast was chilling out in the room watching tv when a male member of staff entered the room without prior arrangement, not even a knock on the door. He apologised and said he was told the room was empty. As a female I was horrified that someone would enters room without knocking the door first. I complained to the manager (sarah) but she did not follow up despite saying she would. Since I've got home I've emailed her on numerous occasions and so far have had no reply. She clearly doesn't value her customers and I would never stay there again."

• Travel date: Fri 20th of March 2015

Great views, fast hot breakfast, helpful staff

Reviewed Tue 23rd of October 2012

"On a hill with little to no traffic noise, short walk to beach, wonderful glassed quiet sitting area overlooking the ocean.... bar has reasonable prices and a great selection of whisky. Breakfast was hot, fast and filling, staff is friendly and helpful..... Got great suggestions as to sights to see at this end of Cornwall. I'm a Yank, and my major complaint with Brit hotels is they tend to not have hot water.... and this hotel HAS HOT WATER!

Rooms are fine.... if you want a fancy Hilton , stay elsewhere. ... if you want character, clean rooms, friendly staff and great views, STAY HERE!"

• Travel date: Sun 2nd of March 2008

In a time warp.

Reviewed Sat 27th of October 2012

"The best thing about the Chy an Albany is the fact that they have their own car park. Parking in St Ives is at a premium so it's a real bonus. We booked a "Deluxe Room" with seaview. The view was of the sea but the room was small by anyone's standards. The bathroom was more of a cupboard with a toilet and a shower in it. The shower drenched the place when used but was hot enough. The general ambience of the hotel was quaint and old fashioned, as others have said. The style of management was dictatorial. and reminiscent of days gone by. "The guest is always right" is not the motto here.
The breakfast comprised the cheapest ingredients, though the walk up the hill from the town certainly helped to burn off any excess calories gained from the full fat meal!
St Ives has transformed itself over the years and is a million miles away from the Kiss me Quick style of the last century. High time the Chy an Albany did the same!"

• Travel date: Fri 30th of November 2007

A bit past its best

Reviewed Tue 30th of October 2012

"I was disappointed with my room at the Chy-an-Albany. When I booked on the phone, I was told that the room would look over the car park. In fact it faced a wall. It was small and dark, and had a tiny internal shower room. Worse of all it was over the kitchens and was very noisy and a bit smelly.

The staff were lovely, though, and the hotel is very clean."

• Travel date: Tue 18th of September 2007

Great location, pleasant stay

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"We had a great stay. The location is beautiful, overlooking the sea but removed from traffic noise. Shopping and harbour restaurants are within walking distance. We had booked standard rooms which were simple but adequate. Breakfast was excellent, We didn't have dinner there but were able to visit many of the excellent restaurants at the harbor. Staff were helpful and professional."

• Travel date: Sun 22nd of July 2007

Wonder Woman Banned

Reviewed Tue 27th of November 2012

"My partner and I were greeted by a wonderful young woman at reception,who was both helpful and understanding in our need to wear our Wonder Woman and Batman costumes during our stay at their hotel.
The decor matched the era of our costumes to a tee,so we felt totally at ease.
We were somewhat disappointed at the heights of the wardrobes in the rooms. They could have been a little taller as my partner kept banging his head off the ceiling when he was doing his jumps onto the bed.
Over all though,a pleasant experience."

• Travel date: Mon 13th of November 2006

decor stuck in a 1970's time-warp

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"This hotel seems to be stuck in some kind of time warp.

After a warm welcome by the young lady at reception we were lead to our room down a lurid and dingy corridor. The carpets and wallpaper are a sickly green colour, enough to put you off your breakfast and as for the 'classy' decorated sticky-back plastic covering the glass doors and windows in the corridor, need I say more?!

Our room was ok, again the decor is very dated. The bathroom, although miniscule, was clean and our towels were changed daily.
We only ate in the restaurant once, but found the food and service very good.

Another thing I'd say is that after midday, they switch the lights off in the corridors, (probably to conserve electricity), so after returning from a visit to St Ives town on a bright and sunny morning, my wife and I couldn't see a thing. Im not sure this would comply with health and safety laws but hey, at least they are energy efficient!!"

• Travel date: Thu 14th of September 2006

Clean, great staff

Reviewed Fri 9th of November 2012

"My partner and I stayed at this hotel at the beginning of August and had a wonderful stay in St Ives. We were more than impressed with the staff and found our rooms (on the top floor) to be exactly what we wanted and our sea view was hard to beat! The food was great and with only a 5 minute stroll into town and a 20 minute walk to the Tate and the beach across the road it was an ideal location.

In response to another article written on the hotel we found the room to be very clean and and comfortable, clearly huosekeeping took pride in their work.
As for the comment on the antipodean receptionist, my partner and i found her to be more than accomodating and extremely friendly and infact even offering us her own umbrella when the weather was not ideal holiday weather.
We will definately stay again."

• Travel date: Fri 25th of August 2006