The Carlyon Bay Hotel

Good

This is a very high class hotel. They ha...

Reviewed 16th December 2007

"This is a very high class hotel. They have door men on the doors and porters that will carry your bags. All the staff are very friendly and professional. The food in the restaurant was outstanding and service was very fast. I felt like we were in an old fashion film were everything was always great. We will visit again next year. All I would say is that the bar prices were very expensive."

• Travel date: 16th December 2007

DONT WASTE YOUR MONEY!!!

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"I was looking forward to staying at this hotel as i had previously visited the hotels website but i was so disappointed when i arrived i cried (and no its not because im an over emotional female!). when we arrived (my boyfriend booked it as a surprise weekend away) we were impressed by the appearance of the hotel, but sadly thats were it ended.We had travelled up on a friday so got stuck in some traffic, when we arrived we were informed that if we didnt hurry we would miss dinner (despite the fact we had paid for itand it was only 2000 hrs) we were then given our hotel keys (noone offered to show us to our room or carry our bags for us). When we finally found our room it was honestly the smallest superior room you could ever imagine!!the windows were scratched, there were cracks in the walls, we had two tiny beds, despite the fact we had booked a double, the radio didnt work and the room smelt of boiled potatoes (the smells from the kitchen fill part of the hotel!!) we had to complain because the room was SO BAD!! we were informed that we could sleep in another room for our first night but had to move back the next night...hhhmmmm!! dinner was not good, im a vegetarian and choice was well very limited especially if you dont like goats cheese. the waiter was rude and we had all 4 courses served to us in 30 mins and we werent allowed coffee at our table. Because we were late in and the staff wanted to go home we had the lights turned out on us!!! As you can imagine come the next morning we were out of there and the potato smelling corridors!!! we ended up spending £40 a night in a lovely local fishing village cottage, beats the £200 a night we had to pay at this hotel. In summary - if you dont fancy staying in a hotel which is stuck in a time warp, smells of potatoes, tells you off if your late for dinner and over embellishes the state of the rooms do not go here and you wont have to end up writing a report like this one. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!"

• Travel date: 3rd August 2006

Proper Posh!

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"My boyfriend and I stayed at the Carlyon Bay Hotel for one night in July as part of a short break to Cornwall. We were in room 115, a standard double with seaview, which we booked on a last-minute B&B discount rate with laterooms.com. We were impressed with the look of the hotel when we arrived (see photo). If you're wondering if you've got lost as you drive through the residential areas, follow the signs for the Cliff Head Hotel, which is right opposite. Check-in time was not until 3pm, so we had a cream tea in the lounge (complete with homemade scones) while we waited for our room. Service was always top-notch -- the staff were polite, always offering a smile and a hello and asking if they could help in any way. Upon getting our room we were very impressed with it, considering it was a standard. It was spacious and the bed was very big. We had an armchair and a dressing-table and chair, a little table, a TV, plenty of storage space, a very clean bathroom and two big windows with superb views over the sea and golf course (see photo). We had a swim in the indoor pool before dinner, which was very quiet and a nice temperature -- some hotel pools we've been in are freezing! There are men's and women's changing rooms, but no lockers. Towels are provided for you in wicker baskets at the pool edge. There is also a sauna, a tanning booth (which you must book and pay for at reception) and a jacuzzi whirlpool. This was a bit of a disappointment -- only half-full with water and smelled quite chemical. Still, the swim in the pool (which also has a separated shallow area) and lying on the loungers around the outside absorbing the sunrays through the glass was nice enough! We were not able to have dinner in the restaurant as my boyfriend had forgotten to bring smart trousers, and denim is not allowed in the restaurant in the evening (plus I think men are preferred to wear a tie). We ordered room service instead -- soup, sandwiches and a cheese plate. The soup was delicious and the sandwiches very good quality -- one and a half rounds with salad and kettle chips. I had smoked salmon in mine and it was crammed full -- not just two thin strips as you might get elsewhere. Unfortunately we didn't end up having breakfast in the end, so I can't comment on that, but there were plenty of people in the restaurant helping themselves to a continental buffet while we were checking out, and there were some lovely smells of cooked breakfast, too. I consider the atmosphere in the Carlyon Bay to be quite "old school" poshness! It is a very nice place with very good service, good food, extensive wine and cocktail menus and plenty of places to sit and while away an hour or two with a pot of tea and the paper -- which a lot of other guests were doing. I imagine this is the kind of place that some people still go to after 20 years and who probably know some of the staff by name. We probably won't go back -- not because there was anything wrong with the hotel, but because it just wasn't quite our scene. Still, we had an enjoyable stay at the Carlyon Bay. The location is fantastic, the staff friendly and helpful, and it has an atmosphere of old-school middle/upper-class English service that was never condescending or disapproving of patrons who perhaps weren't as smart or classy as the majority of its residents."

• Travel date: 11th July 2006

Lovely

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"I stayed in the Carlyon Bay for 3 nights and got married there as well. Nothing is too much trouble for the staff/ management, they treated me so well I felt like royalty. The rooms are lovely, clean and up-to-date - i believe they are slowly updating all rooms and bathrooms. The food is fantastic, I loved the way they brought our champagne breakfast right into the room and set it all up for us (whilst i was still in bed!!! I thank my husband for that). The views are out of this world especially on a sunny day- you'd think you were on the French Riviera. I even went there last Easter for lunch and sat on the terrace basking in the sun eating a lovely sandwich which was by no means ordinary. It's definately the best hotel in Cornwall, we plan to go back for our anniversaries at least every other year!!"

• Travel date: 30th January 2006

Super break

Reviewed 5th November 2012

"Just had 4 days' luxurious break at the Carlyon Bay Hotel. Treated ourselves to a stateroom at the inclusive November rates--just about affordable, and my wife was convalescing after a serious operation! The hotel was pretty well faultless and the food first rate, with an interesting varied menu each night. Breakfast was also very good. The restaurant was busy each evening and the many staff on duty provided prompt service. One or two were a little above themselves in attitude whilst others were friendly and attentive. Some were nervous and lacked confidence but overall these are very minor niggles. The golfing fraternity was strongly represented, given the hotel's nearby course, but don't let that put you off. Good for them to see those who are just interested in a holiday without the need to chase balls along clifftop greens!!"

• Travel date: 19th November 2005

A touch of class

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"Had a couple of days (all we could afford) at this very classy hotel overlooking the cliffs and sea (spectacular views) near St Austell. We had a really lovely room, clean, comfortable and spacious, and enjoyed excellent service and meals at all times. The staff were cheerful, friendly and helpful, and the overall ambience was very pleasant. If you are a golfer they have a really fine links course with a resident pro plus a 9 hole practice course for those (like me) who are hackers. If you like walking the spectacular South West Coast Path runs along the boundary of the hotel - well worth a few hours if you can manage the occasional steep hill-climbs. Tony and Cherie Blair stayed here, but don't let that put you off!!"

• Travel date: 3rd November 2005

Very disappointing

Reviewed 30th October 2012

"Breakfast times became a joke, every day we would take bets to see what was missing from the table, usually it would be saucers with no cups, or spoons, sugar seemed to be in short supply as did the waiting staff. Nothing was ever cleared from our table and we either loaded it into our table corner or waited until other tables became empty and left crockery there. We saw a lot of staff standing, staring but not moving which was annoying. I think too much emphasise was put on the golfing fraternity, and trying to sleep whilst the entertainment went on until 1.30am was impossible. We might as well have been trying to sleep on the disco floor. We loved our room and were lucky to have wall to wall sunshine but we will not be going back, staff attitude was not good. Having stayed at various Brend hotels, this was definitely the worst, we took a trip to Falmouth and went back to the Duchy, what a difference in attitude. See you soon the Royal Duchy! I did write a letter of complaint to the Manager but received a not-commital response."

• Travel date: 13th September 2005

Depends what you are looking for....

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"I have no doubt that this is one of the best hotels in this part of Cornwall. I have stayed at this hotel with my family, and two different boyfriends over the past 20 or so years, the last being about 2 years ago, and in my opinion the hotel has got worse. If you are looking for an excellent location with plenty of sea air, plenty to see and do (Eden project not far) then it is great. If you love golf, it is brilliant. But in my opinion they have concentrated far too much on spending money on things like the golf club at the detriment of other parts of the hotel. The staff are excellent, I believe my favourite doorman has now retired sadly! But they really do try very hard to please. The food is out of this world, with a superb choice every night. Last time we went you could choose from about 3 different menu's every day - including a healthy option. Last time we went though the negatives outweighed the positives. Our room looked like it hadnt been refurbished for years, the carpet in the bathroom was old and ill fitting, the neglected leisure area has not been upgraded in the whole time I had known it, it appeared to be the same jacuzzi I remember from when I was about 8 years old! The changing rooms were dated and the pool was freezing (it is an indoor pool). If you love golf and intend to spend your time out on the course, in the bar, and in the restaurant it is a great hotel. If you are looking for a chill-out weekend with a swim, and peace and quiet - I wouldnt - this hotel is a little over-rated and I think it's resting on it's laurels from years ago. I won't go back in a hurry - it's a shame."

• Travel date: 1st August 2005

Classy Seaside Break

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"We stayed at the Carlyon Bay hotel for 5 nights in late July 2005. We booked via the hotel's website and got a reduced rate for late internet booking. Price paid was £90 pppn for a Standard sea view double room. Found the hotel quite easily, Carlyon Bay is well signposted from the main roads around St. Austell. Room was a reasonable size and had a good sea view. Room was very clean, and the bathroom appeared to have been very recently refurbished. Good selection of coffee/tea + facilities in room. Hairdryer and trouser press all present and correct. Bed was large (possibly two singles 'bolted' together) and comfortable. Public areas were clean and well maintained. Decor was up to date and again appeared to have been refurbished relatively recently. Hotel offers indoor and outdoor pools, snooker room, tennis courts, golf course (+ 9 hole approach course which we used), helipad (We didn't use this one, although a guest did depart with their helipcopter during our stay). Food was very good. Dinner was included in our room rate (£30 per person for non-residents). Good selection of dishes and a good wine list. Service was generally very slick. Gents are requested to wear Jacket and Tie for dinner, although some guests did not and this appeared to be tolerated by the management (believe the policy may be relaxed during school summer holidays, ie. Late July and August). Breakfast was comprehensive with the usual choices all present. Good sea views from the dining room. After-dinner coffee was served in the lounge which was pleasantly decorated and had a friendly relaxed atmosphere. Entertainment programme is provided during the summer, and staff were very friendly to guests with children. We intend to return once we have a family to join us. The beach adjacent to the hotel (approx 10 minute walk) is currently undergoing significant development (luxury apartment complex I believe), although this in no way affected our enjoyment of the hotel. Things to improve ? :- Maid service in the rooms for morning cleaning, and evening turndown was not always co-ordinated with guest mealtimes. I can understand this to some extent for breakfast, but the hotel was aware of guest's evening mealtimes and it would have been sensible to perform the turndown service whilst guests were at dinner. (Very minor point I know, but service was so good this is one of the few faults I can find). Croissants at breakfast were disappointing in comparison to the otherwise high standards (Clutching at straws for faults now)."

• Travel date: 30th July 2005

Quality break

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"Arriving at the hotel we received a great welcome and doormen carried luggage from the car. Requests made when booking were all satisfied. All staff are extremely polite and are eager to help with any requests. Food is excellent. Rooms are clean and are of a good standard. Pool is clean but was some times found to be a little cold. Evening entertainment does not start until late (around 9:30) and continues until around midnight with the music loud enough to be heard from the bedrooms. Quieter rooms may be found away from the entertainment lounge. On the whole a lovely break, we hope to return soon."

• Travel date: 21st May 2005

Mixed feelings

Reviewed 8th December 2012

"We chose this hotel for a one-night stay because it was at the time (about 1996) the only four-star hotel in Cornwall. It was expensive, and maybe worth it: a handsome exterior in a splendid location with access to coastal walks. The room was roomy, and the staff were consistently polite and sophisticated. But we were disappointed in the uncommonly thin walls and skimpy insulation: someone sitting in our bathtub was about a half-inch away from the bathtub in the next room, and you could hear someone reading a newspaper next door. There was a big wedding celebration with very loud music that went on to all hours, and every last decibel came undiminished into our room. We won't go back and we can't recommend it to anybody else. But it's been a few years: they may have upgraded, and the price seems lower than what we paid."

• Travel date: 2nd March 2005

Hotels near The Carlyon Bay

The Carlyon Bay is also called

• Carlyon Bay Hotel
  • carlyon bay st austell
  • carlyon bay hotel st austell