Room 28 in the Nook

Good

Still Wonderfully Relaxing, however...........

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"Had a lovely break. The situation of Tresanton and the relaxed informality of the hotel is still a huge draw. However, on this particular trip I felt that things were slipping; decor looked a little tired and the food, (particularly breakfast which was very ordinary compared with other hotels in this bracket - variety pack cereals, very dried fruit, limited fresh fruit drinks and limited space) given the price, could be better. Service did seem chaotic at times........could have been the time of year! Given the excellent alternatives in the area not sure we will return in the near future. For the first time we left the hotel with a rather negative VFM feeling. Great shame."

• Travel date: 6th January 2006

Not for the picky guest, but fabulous just the same

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"I only wish those guests who seem to tour good hotels looking for whats not absolutely perfect, and working out the cost of everything, would stay away from places like the Tresanton. Yes, there is a little wear and tear to the place, but our three days there were perfect. Every member of staff was well trained and delightful. Our room was comfortable in a country house way, not a slick hotel way, which I am sure is what Ms. Polizzi intended. Yes, the furniture does not match, but again those of us who live in a real country house know that is how it should be and what feels comfortable away from home. We dined in on one night and the food was fantastic. We eat out and travel a lot, and the meal we had at the Tresanton was one of the most memorable. Breakfast was also delicious. Perfectly prepared fresh fruit, non dyed smoked haddock with poached egg and hollandaise sauce. Yum! We don't want to stay somewhere that all the furniture has been purchased from a catalogue and is made of synthetic materials, nor do we want shiny marble floors or grovelling morning suited doormen. The men at the Tresanton wear waterproof coats, so that they can go out with a smile into the pouring rain and lashing wind to collect your car from the car park way above the hotel and bring it to the front, whenever you want it, and with a smile, despite being soaking wet. Ditto help with luggage etc. This is England and we do things in an English way here, thank goodness. Long live the Tresanton and all non-stuffy hotels like it. By the way, we stayed on the same dates as the previous guests and paid £165 per night for room and breakfast. We had a fantastic room with a terrace and steamer chairs. Yes, dinner is extra, but then it is extra everywhere."

• Travel date: 22nd November 2005

Not what we had hoped for

Reviewed 27th November 2012

"We spent 2 nights here recently at the end of a trip around the South West, staying in highly rated hotels all the way round, the Tresanton was the most disappointing. After having just been at the Endsleigh, it's new sister in Tavistock, we had high expectations, however the rooms were much smaller, not as nice and needing a revamp, in particular the bathroom which was showing lots of wear and tear - there's no excuses when you're paying £280.00 per night. We didn't think the restaurant was all that but unfortunately, the village is so small, there really isn't much else to choose from, so we reluctantly ate at the hotel both nights. Like the Endsleigh, we attempted pre-dinner drinks in the drawing room but were constantly badgered by the maitre d' who wanted to take our order and have our starters on the table asap. We tried to catch her out the 2nd night by going down to the bar set away from the restaurant but she found us down there too.... very intrusive. Fortunately they do change the menu daily depending on the what comes in the "catch"...great we thought being quite food oriented and having just had a wonderful meal at Rick Steins the night before.... but when it turned out to be cod, our hearts sank. They didn't really have great facilities for the various therapies that they have on offer either... They use various local therapists that they bring in and only have room so no chance of my husband and I have a treatment at vaugely the same time (or day for that matter..!) Luckily St Mawes is quite well located to go to other places of interest so we easily filled our days visiting the various gardens and towns of interest and it did seem like a lovely place to be perhaps in the warmer months. All in all, we thought it was overpriced for what it was and am not convinced we got our money's worth."

• Travel date: 9th November 2005

The Tresanton

Reviewed 16th October 2012

"Arriving in the village of St Mawes with wonderful directions from the hotel, i was surprized by the smallnest of the village. We were traveling with another couple, who were checked into room 5, but were told that they would have to move the next day to room 6. We were staying 4 days. We were surpose to have a comproable room and were checked into room 3. This room is on two levels is right on the street and also the bathroom window is on the side of the building and anyone walking down the driveway could look right into the bathroom. The room was nicely furnished, but the two levels were annoying, and there was a great deal of noise from the street. The room rate was 250 pounds a night. We didn't like the room we voice our dislike and were told there wasn't anything else availabe. We had a very nice dinner ,we were visited by the owner and he knew of our dislike of the room and expressed the fact ( actually the third time we were told of this) that Prince Charles had stayed in that room and like it very much( and so should we)! The staff of the hotel is wonderful,very gracious and always wanting to make you happy with your stay. We only stayed three nights switched to room 30, more confortable with a terrace and less noise. I feel like it is over priced, but the staff is wondeful, that in it self was worth it."

• Travel date: 30th August 2005

overhyped overpriced

Reviewed 4th November 2012

"Stayed here with my husband very nice hotel nice location lovely rooms however that is where the good points stop, extremely expensive and the service does not live up to expectations very poor service on booking and from the reception staff fractious, snappy with each other and the guests. We arrived amid a reception full of complaining people and this unfortunetly set the tone for the short trip. Resturant service slow dinner reservation for 845 seated at 935 served manin course at 1020 kept telling me "we have 85 in for dinner you know!" perhaps if they took better care of their paying guests the overall experience would have been better. This is the sort of hotel that probably was fabulous 2 years ago however they have their market and its lost its edge however they are still happy to charge huge amounts of money for very poor service, we wont return."

• Travel date: 31st July 2005

Loved St.Mawes and Tresanton in it

Reviewed 20th October 2012

"Where do I start? From the moment we arrived we were looked after. The building is accessible by narrow and steep staircase but they take all your luggage to the room for you and park your car in the hotel car park which is on the hill above the building. When you need the car again all you need to do is ask the reception and it is parked outside for you again. Our room was on the first floor, furnished with simple and understated elegance with antique cabinets, seagrass flooring, luxury bathroom and stunning sea view! Oh, I must not forget: in our hallway there was a beach basket with large towels and a big blue parasol! We went to the beach twice a day every day and the excellent houskeeping staff changed our beach towels as many times. The food was divine, puddings and homemade icecreams included. You do need to book your favourite table on the terrace well in advance, thou. But it is well worth it: nothing beats the atmosphere and the harbour views from that terrace on a balmy summer evening - you could easily be anywhere in Soutern France or Italy."

• Travel date: 16th July 2005

Fantastic...!

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"Wow…what a superb place to stay. Understated elegance, laid back, casual yet classy…..fantastic food and the best service I’ve found anywhere in the UK. This is a real find for anyone who’s not been here yet, and I can recommend sampling the menu for it’s balance and quality ingredients. This is a (quite hard to find!) hotel which has a real mix of rooms and if you take the ferry to Falmouth I challenge you to see if you can map the layout! Take the time to decide on your preferred room as they all have their individual characteristics. Just leave your keys at reception and kick back until it’s time to go…..these people understand customer service without being servile….it’s like joining in a private party. Fantastic. Thanks to all the staff for being so great, and to my wife (Sue) for the weekend as it was my Christmas present….won’t be wanting socks next year, thanks!"

• Travel date: 22nd June 2005

Smart but very pricey for few facilities

Reviewed 9th November 2012

"We stayed in one of the family /double appartments by sheer fluke (we don't have children!) which was beautiful. The view from the terrace was great - but I couldn't help feeling that despite tending to stay in pricey hotels, in this case I was paying for the decor. We had dinner in the restaurant, which was fairly average, and with wine, expensive for the quality. It was clean, the staff were polite (mind you we spent £600 in one night stay so I would have expected that!). Probs won't go back again as have done it once! Very pleasant, though."

• Travel date: 6th March 2005

Not a good as eveyone thinks it is

Reviewed 19th November 2012

"My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Tresanton and were very disappointed, the room was one of the hotels more expensive and the carpet in the entrance hall was wet and damp. The bathroom had dripping taps and the room generally was not very clean or well maintained. I feel that the Hotel Tresanton is a like the story about the Emperors New Clothes, no one wants to be the one that speaks out. All you keep reading is how wonderful the hotel is?? We are fortunate to travel a great deal and I have to wonder where all these people stay so to compare this hotel with others, if it’s as good as they seem to think!"

• Travel date: 18th January 2005

Let Down!!!

Reviewed 29th October 2012

"After many enjoyable visits, I am horrified to report that my latest stay was nothing short of disastorous, the staff were rude, the food well below par and the wine list (if you can call it a list) depleted. It all begs the question, how could it change so much in a matter of months???"

• Travel date: 8th January 2005

Hotels near Hotel Tresanton

Hotel Tresanton is also called

• tresanton hotel st mawes
  • tresanton
  • hotel tresanton st mawes