Good

I recently went over to the Scilly Isles...

Reviewed 29th May 2007

"I recently went over to the Scilly Isles and needed a hotel for the night prior to sailing and the night after sailing, as I had a 320 mile journey from Kent to Penzance. I looked up reviews and the Queens came out looking good. I phoned and asked their rate and was told £130 a night. I went on to ebookers and got the rooms for £93.00 and £81 respectively. I emailed my hotel vouchers from ebookers to the hotel myself to ensure the rooms were booked well in advance. When I say well in advance, I mean 4 or 5 weeks. When I arrived at the hotel, I was asked if I wanted a porter, and if so I would have to wait. I said no it was ok, and was told where the lift was then made my way through a warren of corridors, passing the porter who politely watched us struggle on, till I reached room 81. The room was not as I had imagined for the money I had paid, was scruffy, dowdy, and the ensuite left a lot to be desired. Breakfast was not a joy either, and I left most of it, the full English was, to put it politely, crap. A wonderful holiday was experienced in the Scilly Isles, then back to the Queens on the Friday. The room they showed us to was, well, similar to those on Rigsbys "Rising Damp.” The furniture looked as if it had been collected from the local charity shop, the en-suite was as small as it could be, with a shower, toilet and sink, all crammed into a small "cupboard" with sliding doors. The walls had paper peeling off, the skirting boards were filthy, the carpet was filthy, the upholstery on the chairs was filthy, and the furniture looked like it had not been cleaned for years, it was a real mess. I called reception, and was asked what was wrong, I said the room was dirty. I was told by the young woman on reception to "complain to Ebookers because they have seen these rooms and passed them as ok.” That young lady on reception had a very bad attitude problem. I was shown to a room that was a bit cleaner, though still very very shabby, with the same dirty shabby old en-suite in the wall affair. This room was much the same but the carpet was a bit cleaner, so as I had pre-paid ebookers for the room, I had no choice but to accept it. There was a sign outside advertising vacancies even though I had been told that there was just one double room and no twins. Next morning I skipped breakfast, we both did, and went to reception. The young lady on duty was much more polite, and I asked her did the hotel reserve certain rooms for people who booked on the internet. She blushed, and didn’t answer. The moral of the story.....if you book with ebookers, be prepared to have the cruddiest room in the hotel and be treated like a second class guest. The Queens Hotel in Penzance is the dirtiest 3* hotel I have ever been in, the breakfast was in part almost inedible, and several of the staff had bad attitude problems. Because I booked with Ebookers I was treated like I was not a paying guest! You have been warned!"

• Travel date: 29th May 2007

Extra Special Wedding

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"My sister had her wedding reception at the Queens Hotel, Penzance. From the moment we walked in, we were greeted by smiling staff who were very happy to help. The big function room where we ate our sit down meal was fantastic, with excellent presentation and set up. We all enjoyed a very satisfactory 3 course meal, with the waiting staff serving efficiently. We were able to drink in another bar afterwards and wonder around whilst we waited for the room to transform for the disco, which was done speedily. In the morning I had a room service breakfast which was again very pleasing. The room I had was a beautiful big room with amazing sea views and at a bargain special cheap function rate - well worth it! What an unforgettable day, I'm so glad my sister chose the Queens Hotel, and I would highly recommend having a wedding here or holiday!!!!"

• Travel date: 10th April 2007

Very Good Bargain Break

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"We have recently spent four nights at the Queens Hotel in Penzance. We only booked a standard room and were lucky to be allocated one which had a side view of Mount's Bay. The room was pleasantly decorated and fairly spacious. We had a deal which included dinner at a very reasonable rate and were surprised by the range of meals on the menu. The food was very well cooked and the service was very efficient and friendly even though the staff were busy with other functions on at the hotel most evenings. This is an old Victorian hotel which has been modernised but still retains much of its original character. We were impressed by the large collection of water colour paintings throughout the hotel."

• Travel date: 12th November 2006

Basic but comfortable, great views

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"The Queens Hotel is a large, quite old fashioned hotel, in a fantastic location on the Promenade in Penzance. Our room had a rather gloomy view over the car park, but the hotel presumably has seaview rooms for a price, which are probably worth asking for. The view from the dining room is quite spectacular - especially first thing in the morning. There's a very comfortable bar and there are nicely furnished lounges around the ground floor. We didn't dine here, so can't comment on the food. The room was on the small side, with cramped but functional en suite shower. Service was always friendly and helpful. There is good parking behind the hotel."

• Travel date: 24th August 2006

Great time here

Reviewed 23rd December 2012

"If I read these reviews before booking myself and my girlfriend at The Queens Hotel, we would not have stayed there. Thank goodness I didn't, as we loved the place. The staff were extremely friendly. The hotel is full of character as you would expect for a Victoria building, the reception area is clean, tidy with leather Chesterfields to relax in. Other comments about this hotel stated it was preferred by older people, while we were there they had allsorts, from 20 to 30 beauty therapists, to young families, and of course some retired folks. The room we requested over looked the sea to the south, while the east window looked up to the Jubilee Pool. The bedroom was clean, with a good size bathroom, with bath and shower. We go away approx 5 or 6 times a year and found this hotel had so much more character than your typical 'new' hotel which tries to build character in."

• Travel date: 28th June 2006

Clever Marketing & Great Photos

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Hotel website and photos in the brochures at the hotel are either very old or very airbrushed. The reception and bar area looked quain but was grubby. Rooms are terrible - stained mattresses and pillows. Wardrobes smell of decaying wood. Walls thin enough to hear people snoring in other rooms (and from the corridor!). Paid £100+ per night for this! Breakfast most disappointing - terrible service. Menu on table showed a delicious range of cooked to order items to choose from, but there were riduclous supplements like '£2 extra for a kipper', but when requested, we were pointed to a buffet in the next dining room with grey scrambled egg, 3 sausages and 2 rashers of bacon for the 30+ people in the restaurant - with a promise of 'more is on it's way!'. We went to Sophias, 2 doors down for a splendid breakfast and also a couple of other meals as we had no faith in the Queens after the first night. The advertising said it was a 'family owned' hotel - they should learn from the big boys in terms of re-investment as it was clearly lacking!"

• Travel date: 1st May 2006

Slow Meal Service

Reviewed 23rd October 2012

"My wife and I stayed at the Queens Hotel for nine days at the end of March, 2006, on a half board basis. I would suggest that this 3 Star rated AA/RAC hotel is fine for a nights stopover or 2 nights max. but not any longer. The hotel has a very nice quiet and antiquey ambience to it's public areas, and our bedroom was perfectly adequate with all facilities, however the hotel does make a "sea view" charge of £10 pppn, which in our opinion is very steep, although the view out to Mount's bay is superb. It is possible to have a room at the rear of the hotel with no excess charge. However, our main gripe is with the Dining room waiting service; it is painfully slow between courses, the table was never fully laid with cutlery or bread roll or Jam/Marmalade or cruet set etc, etc. It was supposed to be Silver Service; I'm afraid not. A great deal of improvement is needed to speed this whole dining experince up."

• Travel date: 16th April 2006

Not impressed

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Not impressed, staff unfriendly, rooms at back of hotel are grim with miniscule bathrooms. Also the walls are paper thin."

• Travel date: 12th February 2006

You Get What you pay for

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"We booked the Queens hotel in Aug 04 for a cheap holiday for a week. We didn't expect that the hotel would be great and we were not disappointed but you get what you pay for. This hotel is aimed at the older generation if you use it just as a base and you can avoid the stale cabbage smells in the corridor then it's fine. As mentioned before the staff are unfriendly and pretty useless. On a positive note the hotel does have it's own car park and it is only a five minute walk to the center, our bedroom was large and had good views."

• Travel date: 7th February 2005

An OK hotel

Reviewed 25th November 2012

"My wife and I stayed at the Queens Hotel for a few days at the end of August 2004. We chose it for the location and sea view, both of which were excellent and were the hotel's best features. The seafront promenade outside was much quieter than we expected, and quite interesting to look out on. Our room was fine if a bit old-fashioned (as was the hotel). However we heard some guests complaining about the noise from the function room on the ground floor, and I would recommend asking for a room at the far end of the hotel where we were (and with a sea view, although you pay more for the latter). Our biggest problem was that the hair dryer wasn't working. It took us 3 days and repeated requests to get a replacement - which for the prices we were paying was ridiculous. Most of the reception staff clearly couldn't be bothered - it was only when I found the Assistant Manager that something finally happened. The restaurant service was usually OK though sometimes slow. Weekends seemed dominated by functions. Hotel facilities aren't much - no swimming pool and the main lounge was taken up by a meeting at one time. There is a bar, but there are much better (and cheaper) ones along the road nearby. All in all, OK, though there are probably better hotels in Penzance if you're not so bothered about sea view and location."

• Travel date: 22nd November 2004

Shortcomings but an OK hotel

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"The Queen’s hotel at Penzance is OK – not brilliant - but OK. It is a 3* hotel. My only complaints are that the room and, especially, bathroom, could have been better cleaned and that they should employ more professional bar staff – or train the ones that they have in customer care. I stayed for 3 nights with my wife starting 3rd Sept 2004. The location is excellent – on the promenade and with parking. As with all seaside hotels a sea facing room is a must – ours (room 95 - though on the second and top floor) was on the corner with double aspect giving great views over Mount Bay. The room size was reasonable with a small table and two chairs in a pleasant bay window. The beds score 6 out of 10 – a bit too worn for my liking. Room facilities were normal. We had a deal with dinner included at a knock-down rate and the food choice and quality was excellent - superbly cooked and presented and served by smart, friendly and efficient waitresses – 10 out of 10 for this. On reflection, it’s a shame that they ‘spoil the ship for a haporth of tar’ – as the shortcomings could so easily be resolved with the right management approach."

• Travel date: 8th September 2004