The Seafood Restaurant Accommodation

Daymer room.

Too expensive

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Didn't stay here , but had lunch with friends. Very expensive for what it was. Average £30 for a main course, food ok, but expected alot more for the price. Decor very plain nothing special and tables squashed in together, no chance of privacy!!! Staff mainly foreign students, more interested in getting a tip. Plenty of other places to eat at a better priice. Won't bother again!"

• Travel date: 19th July 2007

Rick Stein no longer the benchmark in Padstow

Reviewed 26th October 2012

"We were looking forward to eating at the Seafood and I was unprepared for the massive influence Mr. Stein has on Padstow, it might be good, I cannot comment on that, but I did hear locals tell tourists the the Chip Ahoy was better than Stein's Fish and chips. The food at the Seafood was not bad, the quality of the seafood is excellent, that at least. The service is not attentive. All in all, what I missed was enthousiasm, passion, hospitability. People who work here (as in St. Petroc's brasserie) do not seem to like their job very much. Now, if you are planning to go to Padstow and it is a charming place and good start for many breathtaking walks, go to Number 6. As far as I am concerned the new benchmark for Padstow. Mr. Stein has a well oiled marketing machine, but he may have forgotten what it's like to have his feet on the kitchen floor."

• Travel date: 1st June 2007

Lovely food - Hotel a little disappointing

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"My husband and I stayed at the Seafood Restaurant Hotel for our Anniversary. We have often dined at the Restaurant and Bistro but this was our first stay at the Hotel. The food was up to its usual high standard and the service excellent! I can't think where the other reviewers have been eating!! We are always delighted with the level of service at the Seafood Restaurant and the food is always sublime. Yes it is expensive but we would rather have one fine meal here than 10 mediocre meals elswhere. The Hotel was a disappointment. We stayed in Room 1 and paid £175 for B&B. The room was fine, very clean, fresh coffee in the room, lovely bathroom, but the colonial blinds let in far too much light far too early. The bed was comfortable but the pillows were useless and as a result we hardly slept a wink. (Please invest in some decent pillows or put some stuffing into the ones you have). We have stayed in Padstow before at the Hotel overlooking the harbour, it is a lot cheaper and we shall stay there in future and just eat at Rick's."

• Travel date: 8th April 2007

Going Downhill?

Reviewed 31st October 2012

"Second time at Rick Stein's seafood restaurant (went in June 05) and a totoally different experience. Lunch in June 05 was fantastic - quality of food, wine, service and relaxed atmosphere second to none. Went back for dinner last year and had a very nice but rather different experience. Felt like we were on a production line - no drink at the bar beforehand, rushed to table and pressured into ordering/eating throughout. Food still very good and wine lovely, but for the price I'd expect a little more friendliness and a bit more time to eat. For £150 for two people (which didn't include drinking all that much) it should simply be better!"

• Travel date: 6th February 2007

Disapointing service -Go to No 6 instead

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"I booked my husband on the Rick Stein seafood course at the cookery school for his birthday and booked the Seafood Restaurant for his 'birthday dinner'. The reception area is very small and the only place to have a pre dinner drink is the conservatory, unfortunately it is also where the smokers are invited to smoke instead of the restaurant so it was very unpleasant. The food was excellent, no complaints there at all! The service however lacked finesse. After clearing the starters, the waitress proceeded to empty the remaining white wine into our glasses filling them to the brim (we had only had a small glass each from the bottle at the time) and asked if we would like another bottle. I immediately complained telling her that she should not have done that and that the wine should be keeping cool in the cooler - she looked at me blankly then walked away. I asked for the wine waiter, when he appeared he apologised immediately and offered to 'POUR THE WINE BACK INTO THE BOTTLE'!! I was speechless! My husband demanded a fresh bottle of wine immediately. The restaurant itself is a quite devoid of atmosphere, very bright!! The following evening we had dinner at No 6 - amazing!!"

• Travel date: 3rd January 2007

Rick Stein spotted.....in Tesco's!

Reviewed 29th November 2012

"We booked a 'bargain-break' in November, which is £250 for room with £50 each off a meal in the Seafood Restaurant (or Brasserie) if preferred. Our Room was Room5 (this and Room 6 have a fantastic large balcony overlooking the Harbour). We went for the 'Rick Stein' experience - and goodness - Padstow is just that!!! its all about him. He has transformed this fishing town into a mecca of Steinism. So we were a little disappointed that he was not spotted at the Seafood Restaurant. I guess that when you become such a 'celebrity' chef then you employ staff to do your cooking for you. The room was fine - although a little over-hot, and even turning off all the heating remained so throughout. We ate both nights at the Seafood Restaurant. The staff are all knowledgeable and not in the first bloom of youth - but that can be a good sign - just one that you dont find much in English Restaurants. The Seafood Restaurant has been going (with various make-overs) since 1975 and he obviously keeps his staff. The food was good just not exceptionable - and i guess that 30 years ago it probably was - its just that English cooking has changed beyond recognition in that time. We were entertained by Pauline and Ray from the Wirral at our next table (she is a modern day Hyacinth Bouquet who grows her own organic vegetables, drinks only goats milk, and moved to the Wirral from Liverpool after the Toxteth Riots) who after a few glasses of Sauvignon Blanc waxed lyrical about the world -( a great script for Carla Laine) they were typical of the customers. This is only to be expected from a 'celebrity' chef restaurant. With a long drive home on our final morning we popped into Tescos at the top of the Hill in Padstow -and there at 9am in the morning was Rick Stein buying his own groceries - this aging TV chef looks older in real life, but I guess thats what happens away from TV make-up and when you have such a massive fiefdom that is Padstow! Altogether an enjoyable experience - just not what was expected."

• Travel date: 11th November 2006

A Huge Disappointment

Reviewed 28th November 2012

"My wife booked this trip as a birthday surprise.... last January. Even then they would not give us a table for 6, and would only let us have the pleasure of a table for 2, IF we booked a room upstairs. The room was good, if noisy when the restaurant shut. The food was OK, but the prices were way OTT for 'OK'. The wine list was genuinely good, with some unusual wines well priced. The service was bad. And almost no one smiled: we had this vision that someone was round the back was just counting up the money that was pouring in. Talk about cashing in on a TV name. I would dissuade anyone from going to this place. If you are going to Cornwall, try the Driftwood on the south coast."

• Travel date: 21st October 2006

Not worth the money.

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"We stayed two nights here in a very expensive room as a birthday gift from our children. The reception was indifferent, service poor, and the food certainly not up to the high quality standards we expected. Rick of course was nowhere to be seen, and hadn't been for months. A long way to go for very little."

• Travel date: 6th October 2006

Not great - and pricey - but we like the overall package well enough

Reviewed 6th December 2012

"Sure they are coasting and charge far too much for increasingly average and even poor food - and we never stay more than two nights as the charm palls - BUT this is a relaxed and unpretentious place to stay (+ they take dogs which is a real bonus for us) and there isn't an ounce of ghastly Fawlty Towers atmosphere that can make most hotels in the south west unendurable. Our last stay was the usual curate's egg. We are usually first down to breakfast and by and large get all the service to ourselves and all the goodies are fresh and to our taste. It makes a great start to the day with a walk up to the headland with the dogs. Rooms are variable in comfort, and by and large noisy until all the extractor fans get turned off arounf midnight - but the more you pay the better you get. Let's be realistic - Padstow is a tourist trap so you pay throught the nose. The rooms are pretty ok and one or two are really nice. There may be better value places in the town but we doubt they will be much better - just cheaper. The restarurant definitely needs to improve: but they sell out most covers during high season so once again most people like the package OK. The cafe is recommended at half the price of the restaurant with a nice atmosphere and pretty much just as good food, though it really is a caff and not a restaurant. A rip off? Yes probably. But we enjoyed our last stay despite all the negatives."

• Travel date: 4th August 2006

Total Waste of Money

Reviewed 2nd November 2012

"After booking up The Seafood Restauraunt in January we were really looking forward to it , we stay at The Metropole Hotel twice a year, usually eating fish & chips on the seafront, wish we would have kept it that way. The Seafood restauraunt is a total waste of money, the service is terrible and just like the other reviews I lest there feeling like we'd been ripped off, to be honest I felt like not paying the bill & did not leave a tip for the appauling staff. This place does not live up to its name it was like a cattle market, there was nothing special about the restauraunt, I was sorry I went there. The tables are all squashed together, so if like us you think you're going to have a romantic evening forget it, we may as well have shared a table with the couple next to us, the tables were that close together, it was embarrising. The food was dire, I had hazelnut scallops to sweet, then seabass which was over £30.00, total rip off Ive had much better and for half the price. My partner had oysters, then the monkfish curry, run of the mill oysters, but the curry was bland, dry and the junk that came with it didnt even fit on the table, not that it was eaten. We never hung around for desserts as there was nothing to choose from & to be honest we were dying to get out the place, total disapointment. Wine was Rick Steins own brand, tasteless I've had better house wine. They give you the evening menu to take home I suppose as a keepsake, not worth the paper its printed on, binned mine, no good memories for us. Im in no way exaggerating about this place if you go there and have a good evening you must be as sad as the staff that work there. I would reccommend you avoid this place don't even peek in for curiosity its not worth a look. Birmingham, UK"

• Travel date: 13th July 2006