Hotel exterior

Almost perfect

Reviewed 8th January 2013

"I had booked a five day cookery course at the Padstow Seafood School, so the accomodation was part of the package. I was on my own, but had a large double room and a rather glam ensuite bathroom with a real bath - a delightful luxury when you have been on your feet, slaving over a hot stove all day. I thought the decor in the bedroom was not entirely to my taste, being a bit pale and romantic, but it was clean and roomy, so fine for a longer than average stay. I fell in love with the Molton Brown toiletries and have purchased the same shower gel ever since, as it reminds me of a rather special week. Parking was in a large garage round the corner, and as I'm not the world's best when it comes to parking in tight corners, I left with a large dent in my bumper from overenthusiastic backing up. I hope Mr & Mrs Stein's freezer was ok.... I found it hard to judge breakfast as I always chose to eat lightly, knowing how I'd be expected to taste food all day long. What I did have was very nice. Staff seemed cheerful, if a bit preoccupied sometimes, and the atmosphere was relaxed. Shame it closes for the May Day celebrations, but I suppose they wouldn't be popular if they expected staff to work on such an occasion."

• Travel date: 12th April 2008

Not bad but not the best VFM

Reviewed 7th January 2013

"Managed to get the last room available at the hotel and unfortunatley it was the last one for a reason. Very small double over the kitchen with extraction outside the window !! Obvious noise and smell issues but its a shame they didn't say before I got there. Dinner was ok but not outstanding in this day and age. Breakfast was nice and fresh with good quality products waiting staff were very good but reception was a bit frosty."

• Travel date: 19th February 2008

We stayed at Rick Steins St Petrocs for ...

Reviewed 11th January 2008

"We stayed at Rick Steins St Petrocs for two nights bed and breakfast as part of our honeymoon. We had a lovely room, clean fresh although the view over the neighbours wasn’t the best. The breakfast as you would expect from a Rick Stein establishment was top notch, ranging from fresh fish, fruit, and cereals to the good old fry up. The cost of bed and breakfast was at the higher end but the quality and service was well worth it and justified the price. However, I was a little miffed when charged for the newspaper!"

• Travel date: 11th January 2008

We loved the experience

Reviewed 1st January 2013

"We stayed at St Petroc in December 2007, and we loved every minute of it. We stayed in the Estuary Room, which was at the top of the hotel. The roof had low beams and a massive bed and some antique furniture. The stairs were a bit of a climb, but we did have views of Padstow Estuary. Bed linen was changed daily, and the rooms were kept spotlessly clean. We ate at the Seafood Restaurant and in St Petrocs Bistro. Food in both restaurants was superb, and when we ate at the Seafood Restaurant Rick was actually there - which was a bonus! Breakfast was served in the Bistro, and there was ample selection, and you could have as much as you liked. The staff were all very attentive and helpful. Although the price of the accomodation is a bit expensive it was well worth the bit extra and we will certainly be going back."

• Travel date: 19th December 2007

Absoloutely Fab!

Reviewed 31st December 2012

"We tagged along with friends who had done the Stein Trail many times before. We had only heard of the Seafood Restaurant...Everything about St Petroc's was fabulous!! The rooms, not huge in our experience, were stunning, and exquisitely decorated. We did eat in the Seafood Restaurant, and in one of the other bistro type places he has there..also bought picnic bits from the Deli...and all his staff are great..like a big happy family. Would recommend Padstow (Padstein!), St Petroc's and indeed the magnificent Seafood restaurant. Thumbs up from us Rick even though you did have all our money off us that week! PS Sorry to hear Chalky has departed this world. x"

• Travel date: 5th December 2007

A nice treat

Reviewed 29th December 2012

"My wife taken me here for my 30th birthday, we were booked in for 2 nights and ate in the seafood restaurant and the fish and chip shop. The room was quite small as it was at the top of the building but we had a lovely view from our window. The breakfast was very enjoyable and service was good. Although slighty pricey, you are paying for the Rick experience, it was worth it for something a bit different - book well in advance though!"

• Travel date: 27th November 2007

No Kippers, Rick?

Reviewed 26th December 2012

"Booked in for two nights at St Petrocs, looking forward to a quality mini-break. Got to the hotel. The reception was functional. Had to park the car in a bird infested garage, where it was my responibility to protect my car from bird droppings, although covers were provided. St Tudy room was small but cosy and comfortable. Being right on the road did mean early morning vehicle noise. Milk and crisps in the mini bar out of date. Small detail make for a big difference. Bistro food not bad except for the chips, which looked and tasted like they had come from a packet! Not what we expected. Ate in the seafood restaurant on the second night. Excellent experience. Breakfast on the final morning was farcical. Ordered kippers, could smell them being cooked, only to be told 10 minutes after ordering that that had run out! Overall, very expensive accomodation for whats on offer"

• Travel date: 22nd September 2007

Intimate luxury, great food and wonderful service at St Petroc's

Reviewed 25th December 2012

"We have stayed in both the Yellow Room and St Merryn. Both are lovely with four poster beds, great wines in the mini-bar, lovely bathrooms and yummy home made cookies. Of the two, St Merryn was best as it has a beautiful free-standing bath and separate shower, and the room is at the back of the hotel so it's super quiet. Service was exemplary. Always a cheery welcome, even when we arrived to check in four hours early - we were brought tea and biscuits in the lounge while our room was made up. A small problem with the shower head on the bath was fixed within hours - we only had to call down to reception once and we were greeted with a complementary bottle of champagne at the Seafood Restaurant that night to make up for it! The hotel manager also personally apologised to us at breakfast and made sure we were completely happy with everything. Breakfasts are divine. Smoked haddock with hollandaise sauce, homemade granola with stewed fruits and yogurt, or full English made with first class local produce - what a choice! Dinner at the Bistro and at the Seafood restaurant were both superb. Wonderful local seafood, seasonal produce, prepared simply and beautifully. Fabulous wine lists and desserts too. Can't wait to return for a third time."

• Travel date: 28th August 2007

Nice stay

Reviewed 20th December 2012

"We stayed here for 3 nights in July in the Estuary Room. The room is in the attic and is large and airy, the bathroom was a bit small with only a bath and shower attachment. It was however beautifully decorated. The parking was good but the garage/barn where your car is parked is inhabited by swallows and they do what they do all over the cars! (glad I was in a hire car) Reception staff very friendly and very helpful! The food in the Bistro was nice. We also had dinner in the cafe where the food was average, and the Seafood resturant. The food in here was lovely and not as expensive as I expected. We ate breakfast every day in the seafood resturant as we were down with some friends, although the food was great, the service in there was awful, one woman in particular was rude and obviously hated being in the service industry! Apart from her, the service in all the resturants was friendly and efficient."

• Travel date: 22nd August 2007

Above average but expensive

Reviewed 18th December 2012

"The "hotel" is really nothing more than a B & B with few facilities other than the excellent Bistro. The rooms have everything you are likely to need but at £165 per night, they should have. Breakfast was OK but the service was poor. We ate in the Bistro and thoroughly enjoyed it. Again expensive, but reasonable value for money. If we go to Padstow again (which is a lovely place), I would look for a better value B & B to stay and use the money we save to eat at the Bistro."

• Travel date: 3rd August 2007

Very pleasant

Reviewed 9th December 2012

"We had a very nice couple of nights at St. Petroc's. The room was modern and comfortable and you're right in the heart of Padstow. We ate in the Bistro the first night and the Seafood Restaurant on the second and both meals were great. If you go to the Seafood Restuarant I strongly recommend going for the tasting menu - it isn't cheap but every mouthful is amazing, I found myself enjoying some things which I really didn't think I liked, it was fabulous. We would definitely come back."

• Travel date: 14th June 2007

Rick Stein's Marketing Machine

Reviewed 21st December 2012

"Nice hotel, service from reception (notably Sophie) is great. At the end of the day, when the sun is going under, go on the terrace upstairs with a glass of Chardonnay. The restaurant is okay, but not as good as the "Hype-Rick-Stein-Publicity" makes you believe. Rick Stein's marketing machine is well oiled, but he may have forgotten how it's like to have his feet on the kitchen floor. The service in the restaurant for diner and breakfast is unattentive. People do not seem enthousiastic about working there."

• Travel date: 1st June 2007