About The Esplanade Hotel

• hot tub
  • heated pool
  • indoor pool
  • kids club
  • paid private parking on site
  • billiards
  • books dvds music for children
  • evening entertainment
  • indoor play area for children

very very good

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"We found the Esplanade clean and comfortable, the entire ground floor has evidently been done up recently, and is a remarkable improvement on the chintz usually obtained in a seaside hotel. It was far better décor than expected.

The food was excellent, once we ate in a local restaurant up the road – the lewannack lodge? This was fine but we found the Hotel was better and ate in the hotel most nights. Breakfast was also a nice buffet – loved the mini pan o chocolat’s!

The service was not stressed and the staff seem quite relaxed, it was quick and efficient, but you didn’t see anyone ever rushing and our waiter or the barstaff always found the time for a chat.

The bedrooms were fine, I think they plan to do them up as well, but our room was perfectly fine. Nice clean cream bedding, jacussi bath, king size bed, but we did pay extra for this room.

Overall we were pleased. We would recommend the hotel to most people."

• Travel date: Tue 20th of February 2007

a great hotel

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"I travelled throughout the uk last autumn with my wife when on an extended vacation.
I stayed at many hotels throughout the country in each area. We wanted to avoid the generic chain hotel groups wherever possible in order to experience the local culture of each region

Out of every hotel we stayed in the Esplanade by far represented the best experience over all, broken down as follows:

Price, reasonable not the cheapest but certainly not the most expensive, you get good value for your $$$
Location: Absolutely great, right on the beach.
Hospitality, great friendly and warm.
Service, efficient but not fussy, bar tenders etc made the effort to show an interest in the guests.
Cleaning, spotless.
Rooms, excellent
Facilities, Swim Pool , nice warm, inviting.
Food, great selection always presented nicely, over our entire stay (7 nights)
Décor, refurbed areas pretty “cool” but even the non refurbed areas were well maintained.

Yes I have stayed in “better hotels” but these were 5 star hotels that my company placed me in, spending my own money I was in the a different market! But the Esplanade was actually better than some of the inhuman commercial 5 star monsters I have stayed in before, a real sense of customer care was displayed by the staff."

• Travel date: Sat 17th of February 2007

Not Recommended

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"Very disappointing from start to finish.

Rooms - basic and old fashioned. No hot water. Manageress rude to us when we asked for a room with hot water. Moved to room with hot water, but no heating!

Website promised swimming pool, jacuzzi and sauna. (this was confirmed when we telephoned to book) When we arrived there was no working sauna and work men in the pool area. The manageress was rude when we suggested that this was not on.

Website promised a good restaurant. We arrived at 7pm hoping for a meal, the restaurant was closed.

Breakfast sevrved between 8.30 - 9.00. Very rushed affair, some other guests had to wait for a table. Cold coffee and serving staff rushingaround so not availble.

It's a bit too far from Newquay town if you don't have a car.

Staff, in general were good but very rude and unhelpful manageress."

• Travel date: Mon 12th of February 2007

fantastic hotel!

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"Me and my husband have been visiting the Esplanade hotel Newquay, yearly for six years we always enjoy our stay and find the hotel and staff always exceed our expectations, the views of fistral are beyond compare and the hotel is clean, welcoming and comfortable, what more could you possibly desire?"

• Travel date: Mon 22nd of January 2007

great location and staff

Reviewed Sat 15th of December 2012

"My girlfreind and I stayed at the Esplanade this November. We were impressed by the freindly reception, the size of room and the quality of food.

We would recommend this hotel to anyone. We got a special rate from their website that worked out really good.

When we arrived the Hotel was quiet, so they upgraded our room to a s/v for free, nice touch."

• Travel date: Mon 27th of November 2006

Poor customer service

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"My boyfriend booked a weekend away in this hotel as a surprise for my birthday. He booked it through the website. We arrived late on the Friday night after travelling from the Midlands. When we arrived, parking was very difficult due to the cramped conditions and our first impression was that the building was tired and the decor dated.
We checked in and went to the Contemporary Room. Initially, we were both pleasently surprised. I went to sit on the bed and the throw that covered it had a dark brown/red stain on it (it looked like blood). I removed the cover and found an abundance of hair over the duvet cover and a hole in the sheet. I removed the duvet cover and inside the bed, there were hairs as well. I contacted reception and asked them to come up to the room. I explained the situation and asked to have fresh linen. It took an age for the receptionist to come back - he was a nice bloke who had only worked in the hotel for three nghts and didnt know where the linen was kept. He came back with a new sheet and a bit later on, a duvet. We made our own bed by which time it was well past midnight.
When I approached the manager the next day, she stated that she had cleaned the room herself and insisted the linen had been changed and when i pointed out that the floor was dirty, she said she had mopped the floor. I brought her up th the room and showed her the sticky mark on the floor whre a drink had been spilt bt the previous guest and the hairs. She was off- hand and quite confrontational. She offered a 10% discount at which point i just stated that I wanted the room cleaned.
On checking out, we asked to speak to the manager again because i felt that a 10% discount wasnt good enough. The receptionist was frosty and could not locate the manager.
I have never written a review before but we were so disappointed with this managers attitude towards us that i felt obliged to. My boyfriend felt that the hotels web site was mis-leading but i would be happy to overlook this if it were not for the two members of staff who dealt with us.
We had to make our own bed on our first night and at no point did we get an apology - in fact i felt that we were being unreasonable!!
Newquay itself was beautiful and the view from the room was fabulous - it was purely the staff that i had an issue with."

• Travel date: Thu 9th of November 2006

Fab Location BUT needs updating

Reviewed Tue 20th of November 2012

"My Husband, I and our 2 children stayed for 2 weeks at the end of August.

We had a family room at the back of the hotel just slightly above ground level. The patio doors lead out onto a spacious decked balcony ( very nice ) these doors were the only ventilation for the whole room. Being August as you can imagine it was pretty warm weather and the room was very hot especially at night but because the balcony could be reached easily from the ground we could not have the patio door open. I did complain about this and I asked if we could have a fan for the room. Reception were very kind and let us have their own reception fan. The hotel in my opinion really need to invest in air conditioning !

There was also alot of machinery noise outside our room we think coming from either the laundry or the swimming pool heating system ( it stops at about 11pm each night )...not ideal.... I used ear plugs at night to get to sleep.

I must say I was slightly dissapointed at the standard of decor in the rooms. The bathroom extractor fan did not work and although we reported this to reception nothing was ever done about it.
The beds were terrible too, very uncomfortable, we could feel every spring.

Please be aware of the creaking floor boards! It's no fun to be woken up by people coming back to their rooms late at night or getting up really early. The people above us seemed to be up at all hours walking around... CREAKING!! Some nights I wanted to scream! Ear plug time again!

The entertainment in the evening was pretty bad ( not our taste anyway ), but not to worry theres always the beach to stroll along at sunset...magical!

But its not all doom and gloom this hotel has some good sides too.
Wonderful location , fab for surfers with changing areas and showers under the hotel. The beach well what can I say it is lovely ( I fell in love with it ) and it's sooo close! Give the cafe halfway down to the beach a go its really nice ...great chips!!

Great restaurant with nice food and lovely breakfasts. Restaurant staff were very friendly and our waitress worked so hard at looking after us.

This hotel has problems but I understand that some refurbishment is on the cards. If the owners can refurbish the rooms, fix the creaking floors and get new beds and air con we would definately stay at the Esplanade again...but until then we will stay away.
I will watch this hotel with interest as it has the potential to be great with some TLC."

• Travel date: Tue 7th of November 2006

good experience

Reviewed Mon 5th of November 2012

"Stayed at the esplanade whilst visiting my extended family in the uk.

we were quite a large and varied party from baby's to grandparents, but we all enjoyed our stay.

the food was plenty varied and the menu's interesting, all served with a genuine smile.

The rooms were a little smaller than I get usually in the US, but they were very clean and had amazing views over Fitral Beach.

The price was also very reasonable, my family want to return at Christmas.

I would recommend the Esplanade to most people."

• Travel date: Sun 5th of November 2006

Superb food

Reviewed Mon 24th of December 2012

"My sister and I took our elderly mother and aunt for a short break.Our room had spectacular views over Fistral beach and with the balcony doors open at night you could sleep with the sounds of the surf. Mother and aunts room had a sea view but no balcony and was a little smaller but adequate.Our room was spacious and comfortable but as other people have said could do with a facelift.The linen and towels were clean and the bedroom was clean on the surface but we found someone elses medication on the floor by the bed!
The lounge was big with spectacular views and the dining room large and comfortable.The food was fabulous with plenty of choice,well cooked and well presented. The staff were helpful and our requests were dealt with promptly.You have to pay extra to use the jacuzzi.
We flew to Newquay and therefore did not have a car with us.As We had to use taxis to get us to and from the town to the hotel as although the walk was no problem for me and my sister ,our mother and aunt were elderly and slightly infirm and the walk would be too far for them.Fleet cabs got to know us rather well in our short stay and were reasonably priced . There is a bus stop outside the hotel which we used as there is a bus once an hour into town.
I would recommend the hotel and would stay here again but with a car next time.The parking appeared to be fine but we were out of season."

• Travel date: Tue 31st of October 2006

Out of season visit

Reviewed Sun 2nd of December 2012

"We decided to make a first visit to Cornwall during the Scottish October school holidays - there are two weeks before the English holidays and so not the 'half term' season when we went.

We wanted a hotel that suited a family (we have one child, age 7), with reasonable facilities, including and inside pool in case the weather was bad. The Espanade seemed to fit the bill and had a very good website - however the reviews on trip advisor were very mixed and so we were a bit nervous.

However, we were able to book a 'premium' room for no extra cost at that time of year and took some reassurance from that. The price was very good value for money, with the room price when we booked the equivalent of a good quality b&b but with better facilities (£35 pp pn/ children free)

Our room was a very good size - plenty of room for three of us plus all our stuff, and nicely fitted out. Ok, the fittings were not all spanking brand new as on the webiste, but certainly all good quality and clean. We did not have a sea view, but faced on to a nicely landscaped rear garden with a fountain feature, that we could get straight out onto through our patio window. The room was lovely and quiet - apart from the very squeaky floorboards when there were other guests above us!

All the staff were extremely friendly and helpful al the time we were there. We spent some time sitting in the reception area with its fabulous views over-looking over the bay. During this time the receptionists were contsantly taking calls and enquiries and I never heard them providng anything other than first class customer service. Certainly seems to be a popular venue locally for weddings etc.

When we arrived the hotel was very quiet, with only a few other guests. However by the weekend it was full with 3 coach parties and surfers, and when they left remained busy with a mix of charter trips, business reps, surfers and couples /young families. The hotel seemed to be able to accomodate this electic mix and keep everyone happy with a natural ease.

We took breakfast in the restaraunt each morning - the choice was a bit limited, but all the usual options were there and the food as always lovely. We only ate in the restaraunt at night once as we were out and about too much. We ate from the main menu, which was a little pricier but freshly madefrom fist all produce - and one of the best meals we've had. A couple of other times we went for lighter 'bar meals' at the hotel's sister establishment The Bay a few doors down- this was also very good quality food & well served.

We made good use of the indoor pool, sauna and jacuzi. Not sure I would want to try and use them in peak holiday season as the changing area is a bit limited, but hardly anyone esle was using them when we were there and so we didn't have to jostle for use at all. Certainly get plenty of time for the £1 a go for the sauna and jacuzi - about 1/2 hour at at time.

Newquay itself is not the prettiest town in Cornwall, with the centre largely devoted to surfers bars and nightclubs these days. However, the hotel is at Pentire just out of the town, with fabulous views and really easy access to a very large, clean sandy beach. Well used by surfers (who are great to watch if youre not into it yourself), but penty of room for families too - the beach is huge. Good, friendly beach caf halfway down the steps too.

We found this a good base for exporing other areas from. There are fabulous beaches and villages in just about any direction, and only 1/2 hou from the Eden Project , St Ives, or Padsow, for example (though probably onger in the summer - we got everywhere on quiet roads with no queues anywhere) . Our daughter loved the zoo, which again was better than I expected. Small but nicely landscaped & well laid out with a good mix of animals - a good half day visit & close to the park / boating lake. Would also recommend Tintagel castle and the Eden Project for other days out. . Also highly recommend Lennick Lodge about 20 minutes walk away on the headland path for superb food and stunning food - restaraunt bookings only but you can get the same food at the bar / outside terrace.We will almost certainly go back to this area of Cornwall atsome time again as there is stll so much to explore

Overall - a great area for families lots to do - and would certainly consider using the same hotel again."

• Travel date: Sat 21st of October 2006